HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 11:36 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Seth Jones IMO.

We have young centers, and Jones is a stud already. Though you really can't go wrong with any of the top centers in this year's draft.
We have young centers, but none of them are as good as MacKinnon.

Besides having elite skill and having what I feel is the best upside in this draft, he fills other needs this team has.
He has speed to burn (something this team has none of) and is a right shot, which increases value.
He's a combination of Taylor Hall (some recklessness, not as much though) and Tyler Seguin (pivot with blazing speed, although Nathan is probably faster and he's more willing to play in traffic).
He's also a possession player and helps tremendously in transition (if people start to track zone entrances/exits, he'll be right up there at the top of the league, he's just fantastic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Barkov is exclusively a winger, right?
No, he's a C and has all the tools to play down the middle in the NHL.
He'll be even better as he continues to improve his skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
Who are some players you guys like that would be available in the late first round? I have a feeling Darcy will end up acquiring a 1st from a cup contender at the deadline if we are out of it by then.
Probably too early to say for sure at this point, but some names:
W/C Bo Horvat (London, OHL) - Will do anything asked of him. Hard worker with untapped upside because of his hockey IQ.
C Frédérik Gauthier (Rimouski, QMJHL) - Don't know how late he'll be available, but I love this kid. Not as offensively gifted as Couturier, but his skating for his size..
D Ian McCoshen (Waterloo, USHL) - I think this kid has the potential to be the best American D in this draft when all is said and done (yes, even including The Anointed One). He does everything so well and is going to log big minutes one day. Sometimes there's shades of that kid who got traded for Scott Gomez once.
Any of the goaltenders - I think two of the top tier ones (Comrie, Fucale, Jarry, Martin, McAdam) will end up going in the first round (Fucale and the other is a toss up). All of them are pretty appealing, so might as well snatch one up.

It's hard for me to put together a bigger list though, as I've somewhat ignored the OHL and WHL this year.
I've been keeping up on my sleeper picks, though.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I don't know if I'm a fan of taking a goalie in the first round, they seem tough to evaluate and it seems like so many starters around the league nowadays are guys that were drafted in the mid to late rounds or undrafted players from overseas, compared to not too long ago when it was quite common to draft goaltenders in the first round. Isn't Makarov looking quite decent as well?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:02 AM
jfb392

Quote:
I don't know if I'm a fan of taking a goalie in the first round, they seem tough to evaluate and it seems like so many starters around the league nowadays are guys that were drafted in the mid to late rounds or undrafted players from overseas, compared to not too long ago when it was quite common to draft goaltenders in the first round. Isn't Makarov looking quite decent as well?
Last year was a much better year to take a shot in the mid to late rounds.
This year, it looks pretty top heavy in the crease and then I haven't seen much I've liked.

Even if they're confident in Makarov, to put all of their eggs in the basket of one player is not smart.
They have four projects in the pipe and with their franchise goalie on a contract expiring in just about 16 months, it'd be nice to have someone that has a bit less risk to their projection.

Jakub Stepanek, a goalie I like that plays in the KHL, is also finally a free agent, so there's always that option too.
Another one I like who hasn't gotten picked up yet is Leonardo Genoni, but I didn't like his play or body language at the Spengler, so I doubt his stock has improved.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:55 AM
gallagt01

Replace traffic cones with Jones.

Thanks, I'll be here all morning.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

Molotov for Barkov?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:18 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
I think I would still take Monahan at 3 over the likes of Drouin and Barkov. I just love his two-way game.

I wouldn't be opposed to picking a goalie like Zach Fucale there. Also nabbing or trading up for Ryan Hartman or Morgan Klimchuck in the late first might be a smart idea, instead of just waiting and hoping they fall to the 2nd round.
You sure about that? Look at this kids strength on the puck, ability to stick handle, maintain full speed and do these moves, and then finish...Kid is a STUD.

Drouin is averaging 2.10 PPG while Mackinnon is averaging 1.68 PPG this season and this is with Drouin playing quite a few games without Mackinnon at center. There is even some talk about Drouin going at 1st overall but I don't think that happens unless the team picking at 1 has insane Defensive and Center depth.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
You sure about that? Look at this kids strength on the puck, ability to stick handle, maintain full speed and do these moves, and then finish...Kid is a STUD.

Drouin is averaging 2.10 PPG while Mackinnon is averaging 1.68 PPG this season and this is with Drouin playing quite a few games without Mackinnon at center. There is even some talk about Drouin going at 1st overall but I don't think that happens unless the team picking at 1 has insane Defensive and Center depth.
There was about five different spots where that play would've been broken up at the NHL level. Pretty play and all, but fails more time than not in the big leagues. I'd still take MacKinnon over Drouin.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
There was about five different spots where that play would've been broken up at the NHL level. Pretty play and all, but fails more time than not in the big leagues. I'd still take MacKinnon over Drouin.
I agree but this kid is damn good.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
* Unless your name is Pavel Datsyuk

Old
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
* Unless your name is Pavel Datsyuk

Queue the Drouin is the next Datsyuk comparisons. ^_^

Old
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Deevo

I'm a season ticket holder in Halifax, so I've seen a lot of these two this year. They're both studs, and every time I'm at a Moosehead game I can't help but feel okay with the Sabres being terrible, just for a shot at one of these two.

I would take Mac over Drouin, but it's EXTREMELY close. Drouin is often the most impressive offensive player on the ice, but Mac is more complete. The explosiveness that Mac has is something we don't have anything close to on our roster, he has an extra gear that is completely unmatched in the Q.

Watching these two on a weekly basis is definitely helping during this depressing Sabres season.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Lindholm might be a good complement to armia. Good intensity.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:42 AM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

Regress for Seth.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
Regress for Seth.
Bare bones for Jones?

02-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

So based on point %, we are on pace to finish 28th and potentially pick 3rd overall.

Drouin? Monahan? One of the big d-men? Who would we pick?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
So based on point %, we are on pace to finish 28th and potentially pick 3rd overall.

Drouin, outside chance of Barkov

Old
02-21-2013, 09:14 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:

If MacKinnon/Jones go 1/2, then Drouin sounds like the pick at this point.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

So the player comparison for Drouin seems to be Giroux according to a lot of people.

I may have to actually start paying more attention to these kids if this team continues the pace we are on.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
More scouting reports from McKeen's draft blog:
Quote:
Bo Horvat (C, 2013) – London

A smart, consummate team player who plays a solid and consistent two-way game .. trusted by the coaching staff and used in all situations .. excels at face-offs .. makes responsible plays, exploiting an above-average skill set .. routinely matches up against the opposition’s best players which factors in blunting his plus-minus totals .. makes clever puck decisions in close – and is a threat posting up in the slot as he packs a quick, heavy shooting release .. a growing slot presence as he shows improved timing and anticipation .. reads the play better than most and knows when to pounce into the open slot .. continues to get stronger physically which has permitted him to win an increasing majority of his board battles – not to mention a better base to hold his ground in the slot and exercise his shot .. not only possesses the good vision to distribute the puck – but is also an unselfish player by nature .. charges efficiently to the net and can put the puck on his weak side and still make a play, showcasing his overall strength – and ability to operate on all sides of his body .. can be a tyrant down low using his thick body to absorb checks, and is skilled at putting the puck in his skates to make a play .. excels sheltering the puck and then finding the open man .. would benefit from adding more of a physical dimension to his game .. will finish his checks, but doesn’t really go out of his way to do so .. his speed and quickness have notably improved as he appears a tad lighter on his skates – even though he still needs to develop his agility and use his edges more effectively .. a low-maintenance player and sound draft pick whose game is somewhat comparable to that of Boone Jenner, a Columbus second-rounder last summer.
Quote:
Jesse Lees (RHD, 2013) – Kelowna

Undersized compared to some WHL stand outs, Lees brings an offensive punch to the Kelowna Rockets blueline. Playing up in the lineup recently due to injuries and improving with opportunity… Quickness and Speed are definite assets… Offensive instincts have garnered second unit PP time alongside fellow draft-eligible prospect Madison Bowey… His first 3-4 steps are quick, allowing him to move around defenders carrying the puck up ice… Has good top speed, however strength is his ability to move east-west and be elusive… Mans the point and has a knack for drawing in defenders… Uses quick footwork to find shooting lanes… Smart and crafty in the offensive zone, has good instincts and makes well-timed pinches… Has a very quick release on his wrist shot and his one-timer, both of which often find the net (currently second in Rockets defensemen scoring)… Speed helps Lees play close while defending… Shiftiness and quick hands contribute to good stick work and creation of takeaways… Doesn’t play very big or throw his weight around much… Has a tough time absorbing physical play… Could have trouble 5 on 5 against bigger NHL forwards… However it’s hard to ignore +38 in 52 GP, not an obvious liability… Needs time to grow and strengthen… Look for an NHL team to take a shot in later rounds.
Quote:
Valeri Nichushkin (LW, 2013) – Traktor Chelyabinsk

Outstanding tournament, head and shoulders the best player .. an unstoppable force during long stretches of games as opponents could not find a way to stop him .. strong through entire games, yet really stepped up his play in the third periods .. played a very determined game and was the reason, along with goalie Shestyorkin, for a comeback 4-3 win over Team USA in which he scored once and assisted on two others in the third period .. scored twice against the Czech Republic in the final game – and almost turned the tide to Russia’s advantage as he buzzed around in the offensive zone for the majority of the final frame and did everything except getting the tying goal behind the Czech goalie .. even though it was a meaningless game as they had already won the tournament by winning their opening three games .. showed a much more complete two-way game than what he did in the U20 WJC .. demonstrated a team and defensive side to his game that hadn’t been seen much before .. such a strong skater with a powerful stride and excellent explosiveness in the first 4-to-5 strides .. reaches top speed instantly and is almost impossible to catch in a race for the puck .. very agile and quick on his skates – pivots and turns with the puck well under control .. his skating skills combined with his size and reach make him tough to contain .. strong on the puck and hard to knock of his feet due to a strong lower body and complemented by an expansive reach .. able to retain possession down low for long stretches of a shift with opponents just bouncing off him .. displayed impressive speed and puck control – and an ability to beat a defender either to the inside with skill – or on the outside with speed and power .. shifty, tough to defend 1-on-1 .. likes to carry the puck into the offensive zone and challenge opponents with speed .. asserts himself on the forecheck and works hard when losing the puck .. backchecked hard throughout the games .. also showed that he has some fine vision of the ice and can make good creative plays .. likes to set up on the left side on the power play and made some nice plays cross ice .. led by example at this event.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Bare bones for Jones?
Give our players out to European leagues as loans for Jones

Old
02-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Well since it got our coach fired...

Keep Boo'in for Drouin

Old
02-21-2013, 10:15 AM

Where were virtually all elite defenseman drafted? most were mid first rounders and later.

Most elite fowards were top picks in the draft.

Something to keep in mind. This year reminds me of Stamkos Doughty in a way.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Where were virtually all elite defenseman drafted? most were mid first rounders and later.

Most elite fowards were top picks in the draft.

Something to keep in mind. This year reminds me of Stamkos Doughty in a way.
Think that has more to do with how teams draft than a reflection of highly picked defensemen.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Think that has more to do with how teams draft than a reflection of highly picked defensemen.
Can also argue that three of the best young defensemen in the league--Doughty (2), Pietrangelo (4), OEL (6)--were all high picks.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Can also argue that three of the best young defensemen in the league--Doughty (2), Pietrangelo (4), OEL (6)--were all high picks.
Karlsson at #16 was the best defenceman in that draft. Doughty was considered a tier above every D.

OEL has passed the #2 pick in Hedman in most peoples eyes. Hedman was extremly hyped.

When their has been a foward vs defenceman in the running for first overall when has the defenceman gone on be a better player than the forward? All I can think of is Pronger off the top of my head.

I like Seth Jones and would love to draft him high, but I am not sold on him being the best defenceman like I am with MacKinnon.

Last edited by 1972: 02-21-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Closed Thread