HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's Hickey been doing?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
How's Hickey been doing?

Kings fan coming in peace.

I was just wondering how Hickey has been doing for you so far. Stats wise, it doesn't look great, but stats aren't the easiest thing to judge. I was very disappointed we lost him on waivers and given our injuries on defense this season, we really could have used him right now.

How has he looked for your team so far, and what do you think the future holds for him, both with the Islanders and as an NHLer?

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
steveat

He is coming into his own. No huge issues. I think he just needs to get his feet wet. Has been more of a benefit to us and added depth as well. As long as he continues to improve, he should have a long NHL career.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
19NYSports91

Mediocre at best.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:54 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Mediocre at best.
wow, after all of 9 games?

Thanks Ken Holland!

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Isles Junkie

I have no real complaints so far. he's made a few mistakes as is expected. But overall he's been decent enough to justify his playing time.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:00 AM
bigd

Unfortunetly this teams defense has to get bigger so that may leave Hickey on the outside looking in as a free agent this summer. I just don't see where he fits into the teams future defense.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:00 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Good movement, sound positioning and comfortable on the ice. He looks at ease and doesn't panic. Some rookie mistakes, mostly from trying to push the play, but to be expected. Need to bulk up as he is pushed around by some of the bigger forwards in the D zone. Happy with him so far, and can see him as a bottom pairing/extra D for the team for the next couple of seasons. Size will be his issue going forward as he may get pushed down the lineup as larger D players make the roster.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Hyphistos

He definitely hasn't been the biggest problem, but when the whole team sucks, it is hard to look good as a rookie. As others already said this team really lacks of size, so he probably isn't the best fit, but I think in a healthy team he would do quite well.

Hyphistos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:06 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post

Thanks Ken Holland!
What are you talking about

Old
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
Good movement, sound positioning and comfortable on the ice. He looks at ease and doesn't panic. Some rookie mistakes, mostly from trying to push the play, but to be expected. Need to bulk up as he is pushed around by some of the bigger forwards in the D zone. Happy with him so far, and can see him as a bottom pairing/extra D for the team for the next couple of seasons. Size will be his issue going forward as he may get pushed down the lineup as larger D players make the roster.
I suggested (and most didn't agree) that Hickey could be quite similar to Hamonic.

With respect to the bolded part, when (and hopefully he will) get past the rookie mistakes, I can see a very solid d-man.

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
I suggested (and most didn't agree) that Hickey could be quite similar to Hamonic.

With respect to the bolded part, when (and hopefully he will) get past the rookie mistakes, I can see a very solid d-man.
Sorry, but he plays nothing like Hamonic.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
bigd

Quote:

Not even close. I like Hickey but I just don't think he fits in here. We took a chance on him because he was free and we needed depth but I just don't see him getting a new contract from us unless it's a two way. Finley is more likely to stick now because of his size and the fact that he has another year on his contract.

Last edited by bigd: 02-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
steveat

As you can see, Isles fans prefer size, but to me...I think that want and need for size is more of how we have been treated as a team (gets pushed around) and not by legitimate reasons for size. We have gone without size for so long, we deem it necessary to have the whole team the size of ogres.

I like size and we definitely need size, but we need to realize that a winning team consists of all different types of players. The gritty, finesse, defensive, fast, passer etc etc. I personally think Hickey is not as sound as Strait, but also not so green as a new player (18-20) at this level. Give him another year of seasoning and I think he can be a regular for almost any team.

Take the responses with a grain of salt though. Just a week ago, people were all for Hickey and wanted Finley gone pronto. Finley's game is much more simple than Hickey's, but it seems like Finley fine tuned his awkwardness and plays the simple game not so bad.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
StrongIslanders90

reminds me a bit of Mathew Carle

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

I was just wondering how Hickey has been doing for you so far. Stats wise, it doesn't look great, but stats aren't the easiest thing to judge. I was very disappointed we lost him on waivers and given our injuries on defense this season, we really could have used him right now.

How has he looked for your team so far, and what do you think the future holds for him, both with the Islanders and as an NHLer?
He's pretty good. His offensive instincts show and he has high panic threshold which is good. He's got potential but he'll need to show a lot more to get more minutes.

He's fairly small and that will be a huge deterrent, but everyone knew his size when he was drafted, claimed and every moment in between. I think he has the smarts to develop into a steady NHL defenseman but he'll need to show SOME offense at some point, otherwise, the bigger dman will get those bottom six minutes more often than not (as we've seen from Finley and Carkner, on this, the worst defense group in the NHL - well, close, especially when Vis was on his european vacation)

I hope he sticks because I like the way he plays, the potential he shows. There aren't many Isles dmen that can make a smart first pass and who don't panic in their own zone. But he's still mistake-prone, mainly because of his confidence in jumping in the play - that's both a strength and a weakness. On a bad team though, he can look bad more often than not.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Isles72

need a bigger sample & some time for him to actually gel with a d-partner .
due to visnovsky arrival , carkner / strait injuries the isles havent exactly been able to give hickey a steady partner .

not fond of his lack of size though

also looks a bit like a teenage alfalfa

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Brunomics

He's been good but needs more time to adjust to being a NHL dman. The times he looks comfortable you see a guy that will have no problems playing in the league but there are times you could tell he's just not used to the speed yet. I think by the end of the season you could make a more accurate judgement of if he has what it takes.

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Finley is more likely to stick now because of his size and the fact that he has another year on his contract.
Finley sucks plain and simple. his mobility is pathetic. The game is centered around speed and finesse and Finley is severely lacking in both categories. The Isles have Carkner who is already one penalty magnet they don't another one.

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
DeanCrandall

For me I just want him to play his position right now. He's like a PK Subban trying to do too much and even changing sides without his defensive partner aware leaving huge holes.

It was exciting for him to get his first goal and huge goal at that in OT, but I sat back and thought what is he doing there, down so low on the goal post and I could easily rewind the tape a few games back where his OT offensive push resulted in turning the puck over and an easy 2-1 back the other way for a loss.

The team needs excitement and I think he does fit in for most of us fans because of his unique or maybe unorthodox approach to the game. Maybe he's not the issue only 9 games in but more it's his defensive partners getting used to how he plays.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:16 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

I like his offensive game better than his d upside. Hickey is small and lacks physical play.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Hipster Doofus

Thought he's looked okay. Doesn't pinch that much, in OT he's been aggressive. Can get his wrister on net. I've seen him lock guys up one on one, notably in late game situations. Definitely good wheels, overall he can play but not sure he's more than a capable puck rusher. He does make good passing decisions coming up ice. Not spectauclar plays, but he doesnt force plays and is pretty poised under pressure.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:48 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

I don't think Hickey has looked out of place at all. He's made some mistakes jumping up in the play but he IS a rookie and some mistakes do happen. Heck Streit & Visnovfski have made quite a few mistakes and they ain't no rookies! I think Hickey is going to be OK, but I do not think Snow is keeping him around after this year as he has many prospects on the horizon that he is in love with.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post

Thanks Ken Holland!
I think he was nice saying that he has been mediocre. Would you say he has been better? I dont think he said waive him all he said is that Hickey has been Mediocre at best. I personally think he has been worthless. Hickey has no physical game and no offensive game and has been average in his own zone. It is early and anything can change but if I had to guess based only on what I've seen so far he will be gone next year. I would much prefer see Radek Marktinek because he is a far better NHL player and gives us a better chance to win hockey games now. Neither is in our long term plans.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:

Can you change most didnt agree to nobody on earth agreed?

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Wow. Hickey's been worthless? Hickey has been one of our most reliable defensemen IMO. Calm and poised in the defensive zone, good in the transition game and very smart when it comes to jumping into the play. He obviously only has the one goal to show for his efforts, but I don't think that means he hasn't contributed offensively.

As far as I can tell the only negative I've seen is his size. Doesn't have the strength to really defend the crease but every other aspect of his game has impressed me so far.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote