HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Speculation Part III

Old
02-20-2013, 07:44 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He's not untouchable, but he is worth a lot to us and very little to everyone else in the league. He has high potential but low trade value. Guys like that don't get traded. You'd have a hard time convincing me that any rental short of Perry is worth giving up Merrill.
That's what teams who are rebuilding are looking for... unknown potential with a very high ceilling. If Calgary does move Iginla, for example, they know fully well that they aren't going to get a player of that quality in return. They'll target a package that will add depth at several key positions.

With Calgary's current situation, they need help almost everywhere. Something like Josefson, Merrill and a 1st might get it done. Prospects are just that, prospects. Do you remember when we thought we landed the 2nd coming of Bobby Holik in Patrice Cormier and when we moved him, we weren't all that please to lose a stud 3rd line center that can play the body and add offense at the same time. Where is he know?

Just saying that someone can turn it up at the lower levels but when they turn pro, it's a entire ballgame. Everyone in the league has that "elite" talent, cause that's why they made the NHL, but not everyone can elevate their game a extra notch and that's why we shouldn't bank on kids turning into #1's unless there's a glaring sign... ala Adam Larsson.

P.S. Iginla is a pending UFA but if he takes a sniff of how this team operates, ala Kovy, I don't see why he'd sign elsewhere if we offer him a solid deal. We are legit cup contenders year after year, we tread our players like gold and the team is runned by one of the best Gm's to ever manage in this league.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:26 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

parise took a big long whiff of nj and moved on. and, would we even want to re-sign iginla for what he would ask? I’d rather keep patty

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:36 AM
CerebralGenesis

But Parise took a whiff of Suter's locker and decided to follow him instead.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I could see Lou acquiring Iginla.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

I would go with Hemsky. Than assuming we make the playoffs:

Hemsky - Zajac - Kovalchuk (Hemsky is a RW though)
Elias - Henrique - Clarkson
Ponikarovsky - Josefson/Loktionov - Zubrus
Bernier - Gionta - Carter

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I could see Lou acquiring Iginla.
woooo

Old
02-20-2013, 10:36 AM
NJDEVIL

yea Iginla would be sick. Sorta like when we got Mogilny, Malhakov, etc.

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
day1devilsfan

After trolling the trade speculation threads anyone like Lou making a move on Jack Johnson?

I know we need forward help, but that would sure up the blue line a lot... Don't know what CBJ would want back?

day1devilsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Considering what they gave up for him, I feel like the price would be pretty high, but I've always been intrigued by Jack Johnson. It's not unusual for a top D pick to project as a #1 D and fall short, but he was LAUDED for his defensive play. At his very worst, if his offensive didn't translate, he was gonna be a minute-munching shutdown defenseman. What the hell happened to that?

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
day1devilsfan

Also any thoughts on bringing in Drew Stafford? Buffalo I think is near the point of firing Lindy Ruff & realizing this year is over with...

Stafford - Tallinder + JJ or pick? Gets Tallidner back w/ Myers

Stafford is signed through 2015 as well...

Stafford-Zajac-Kovy
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Poni-Loki-Zubrus
Carter-Gio-Bernier

day1devilsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
yea Iginla would be sick. Sorta like when we got Mogilny, Malhakov, etc.
the first or second times?

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:35 AM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1devilsfan View Post
Also any thoughts on bringing in Drew Stafford? Buffalo I think is near the point of firing Lindy Ruff & realizing this year is over with...

Stafford - Tallinder + JJ or pick? Gets Tallidner back w/ Myers

Stafford is signed through 2015 as well...

Stafford-Zajac-Kovy
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Poni-Loki-Zubrus
Carter-Gio-Bernier
I know Luke Adam plays center but does anyone know if he could also play on the wing? We could use a stop-gap winger until Zubrus comes back. I would suggest put JJ on wing in Zubrus' spot but this proposed deal has him going to Buffalo.

What do you do with our third line wing? Tedenby is clearly no longer an option so what do you do? Dress Barch every game? (Yikes at the thought at Barch on third line.)

Also Carter is out and nobody knows how long. The above lineup is great for next season but if this team is going to be in "win now" mode they need to plug up the holes and fast.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Jack Johnson is pretty overrated. A glorified Marc Andre Bergeron who can hit people too.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Jack Johnson is pretty overrated. A glorified Marc Andre Bergeron who can hit people too.
Jack Johnson is overrated but was also always expected to be the man where he plays. His talent level is high but if he came to NJ he would (currently with how our guys are playing) be our 3rd or 4th best dman and we wouldnt be expecting him to be the man here.

I think thats part of the reason players who dont fully reach their potential come to NJ and play better then they had in other places.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Cowbell232

This short season is messing up everything... We're D-sellers and wing-buyers. Who knows what is going to shake up down the stretch though, with injuries, weird teams being in the leads, etc.

That said, I don't think we really make a splash this year. I think Lou rolls the dice with what we have this point.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:36 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Jack Johnson is nothing special, overrated and we would lose more than we would gain in a trade for him.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
I wouldn't say he's overrated. If anything, at this point it's the opposite. Everyone (especially Kings fans) talk about him like he was a waste of a roster spot when he's still an excellent top-4 defenseman with some good playmaking ability. I haven't watched him enough to really comment on his D, and +/- generally means very little, but when you're consistently much worse than everyone else on a team, it probably means something.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
CerebralGenesis

no
not
want

Old
02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

Tallinder is on a brutal contract for Buffalo. They're a cap ceiling team, they'll need to clear space this Summer, use buyouts. Tallinder's $3.375 is way too much for them next year I think.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
NjDevsRR

Why on earth are we talking about adding another defenseman? a very overrated defensman at that.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Richer 44

NJ needs to get Barch off the ice and put in a real player there. I know he only gets like 5 min a game but its 5 min to many.

We don't need a tough guy all for maybe 5 games a season. And certainly don't want to dress one in the playoffs. But that really doesn't address the overall top line forward issue

Richer 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer 44 View Post
NJ needs to get Barch off the ice and put in a real player there. I know he only gets like 5 min a game but its 5 min to many.

We don't need a tough guy all for maybe 5 games a season. And certainly don't want to dress one in the playoffs. But that really doesn't address the overall top line forward issue
We don't need him in every game that's for sure. We don't need him against the Sens, Caps, southeast teams (Florida has Parros though) etc. Now with Carter out we do need him every game unfortunately.

He stinks up his line with players like Butler, and Loktionov having to play with him. Loktionov what a playmaker! He's really gonna be good setting up Barch in the slot!

Old
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
dk3790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Remember when Tedenby was being touted as the best player in the first round of his draft year behind Stamkos?
I remember wanting to murder someone for drafting tedenby instead of carlson...just wow.

dk3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
I remember wanting to murder someone for drafting tedenby instead of carlson...just wow.
It didn't make sense at the time. We don't need Carlson now though. I mean the last thing we need is another player who's position starts with D!

I'm more pissed that we picked that trash can corpse Corrente over Berglund in 06. Not that we could control it on draft day, because St Louis ended up with our pick. We ended up with Carolina's, and got Corrente. We don't need Carlson right now at all. We can however really use Berglund right about now.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer 44 View Post

And that is part of the problem. A more productive player demands more minutes and takes the load off teammates. I mean where is the logic in dressing a guy on most nights, yet rarely actually playing that guy?

But Deboer likes the use of goonery. And he also likes leaning heavily on certain players.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote