HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambo, the obvious truth is before you...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 03:02 AM
  #1
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,235
vCash: 408
Tambo, the obvious truth is before you...

if there was any lingering doubt that this team is too small, Tuesday night's game vrs. the Kings squashed it. the core of the Oilers (Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov) will never win because they are tooooooo smaaaaaall!!!!!

Mr. Tambellini, the decision to move some of the above core players in order to aquire size has got to be made.

Start with peddling Gagner and Hemsky. if size is still an issue (a year from now), peddle Yakupov (hopefully it doesn't come to that). Hall, Eberle, and RNH is enough talent if you have the right supporting cast.

No more waiting and evaluating. You can't wait for Pitlick, Moroz and Ewanyk to maybe turn out, in 3 or 4 years.
get it done!!!


Last edited by Up the Irons: 02-20-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:21 AM
  #2
Fat Jughead
Registered User
 
Fat Jughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Milbury
Country: United States
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Getzlaf would be a nice player to add. Maybe even Perry too, although I wouldn't want that ***** around my young team. He's more of a Bruin I'd say Good luck getting either of them out of Anaheim if they keep winning, but there's always hope...

Anyway, do you guys really need to unload players who are scoring for you? I know you have a bunch of blue chippers that are going to require a big portion of your cap in the coming years, but I don't think you're exactly in Blackhawk territory just yet. That said, I wouldn't be thrilled about getting anymore lotto picks any time soon if I were you guys. Unless it's managements intention to dangle them as trade bait...nah! Management wouldn't do that, amirite

However it shakes out, it looks like Edmonton finally has the draft/prospect ammo and the cap space to start bringing in some real established veteran talent again. Maybe even the coveted shutdown d-man. At the very least, some high end top 6 bangers that won't break the bank. Should be able to keep the functioning elements of the team intact, and just add to them, no?


Last edited by misfit: 02-20-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: language filter
Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
  #3
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
The Oilers have performed up to my expectation this year, i dont see any wrong with the result so far. You cant ask this team to be a playoff contender, that is unrealistic and not fair at all towards the team at all.

The problem with oilers is not size. It is experience and offensive/deffensive depth. The team needs time, more offensive threats in the bottom 6 and overall a lot better deffence.

Get real, Oilers is not a playoff contender. They werent before the season and they still arent. If they will end up in a better spot then they are now, its all awesome, but the 21th spot is not bad at all. Size wont change anything unless the player(s) adds more skills.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
  #4
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
I know there's a lot of posters up in arms about this team but the fact is we're playing terribly and have had very little puck luck and still have a .500 record (15 points in 15 games). That's not a playoff caliber record but it's also not going to see us in the bottom 5 of the league which is still a bigtime improvement.

The biggest concern I have is how this team will look when it does make the playoffs which given the core players we have is only a matter of time; even the most ridiculously biased posters have to admit that. The playoffs sees a complete 180 in playing style and this team as is will fold like a cheap tent in that environment. Powerplays become few and far between and the onus is on even strength performance, defence and physicality. You'd have to go back to 2006 to find a cup champion that didn't have a legit number one defenceman - we might have that player in Justin Schultz but it's way too early to tell and he's got a long way to go. Our team is the softest in the entire NHL and our even strength production speaks for itself.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
  #5
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
The Oilers have performed up to my expectation this year, i dont see any wrong with the result so far. You cant ask this team to be a playoff contender, that is unrealistic and not fair at all towards the team at all.

The problem with oilers is not size. It is experience and offensive/deffensive depth. The team needs time, more offensive threats in the bottom 6 and overall a lot better deffence.

Get real, Oilers is not a playoff contender. They werent before the season and they still arent. If they will end up in a better spot then they are now, its all awesome, but the 21th spot is not bad at all. Size wont change anything unless the player(s) adds more skills.

When the big answer to a team getting better is 'time' you are in huge trouble. 'time' does not cure ills.

Also, keep those expectations extremely low, that is just the way the team likes them.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
  #6
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I know there's a lot of posters up in arms about this team but the fact is we're playing terribly and have had very little puck luck and still have a .500 record (15 points in 15 games). That's not a playoff caliber record but it's also not going to see us in the bottom 5 of the league which is still a bigtime improvement.

The biggest concern I have is how this team will look when it does make the playoffs which given the core players we have is only a matter of time; even the most ridiculously biased posters have to admit that. The playoffs sees a complete 180 in playing style and this team as is will fold like a cheap tent in that environment. Powerplays become few and far between and the onus is on even strength performance, defence and physicality. You'd have to go back to 2006 to find a cup champion that didn't have a legit number one defenceman - we might have that player in Justin Schultz but it's way too early to tell and he's got a long way to go. Our team is the softest in the entire NHL and our even strength production speaks for itself.
.500 means you are a bad team in todays NHL. Why people trot out that stupid stat in this day and age I'll never know.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:10 AM
  #7
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 553
Tambo is an idiot. Even fistric was MacTs doing.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
  #8
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,350
vCash: 500
The only plus side here is at least we should have some trade options. Hemsky and Gagner's trade value is higher now than at any point in the last 3-4 years I would think.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:15 AM
  #9
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
The Oilers have performed up to my expectation this year, i dont see any wrong with the result so far. You cant ask this team to be a playoff contender, that is unrealistic and not fair at all towards the team at all.

The problem with oilers is not size. It is experience and offensive/deffensive depth. The team needs time, more offensive threats in the bottom 6 and overall a lot better deffence.

Get real, Oilers is not a playoff contender. They werent before the season and they still arent. If they will end up in a better spot then they are now, its all awesome, but the 21th spot is not bad at all. Size wont change anything unless the player(s) adds more skills.
I think you nailed it as far as what the issues are but waiting 3 years is not the answer.

Send Petry and what you have to to boston and get Boychuk
Send pieces prospects to NYR and get Boyle.

Bottom 6 depth is a piece or two away from being called an NHL team. Right defence side is horrific and only a paathetic GM leaves holes for Marincin and Klefbom and their expected learning curve. The job of a GM is to build and ice consistantly an NHL competitive hockey club with no holes. I am happy MacT picked up Fistric at least. Tambo can be kciked out of the city please.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
  #10
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The only plus side here is at least we should have some trade options. Hemsky and Gagner's trade value is higher now than at any point in the last 3-4 years I would think.
I am neither a Hemsky nor a big Gagner fan but i dont hate on them and i dont think --with the age of the other top 6- we should be shopping them.

We do have a full cupboard of prospects though and I would really like us to trade our 1st round pick to show me and other fans that we arent relying on sucking. I dont care if all we do is flip picks as part of a deal just get rid of ours. I am sick of us not making moves when holes are obvious and the players we are picking to fill those are a year or two away with no track record of being able to fill them. This is what losers do--avoid acquisitions as they pencil in a guy who hasnt put in 1 minute of NHL time into a full NHL roster spot. L-O-S-E-R = T-A-M-B-O That 1st is valuable considering how we have so many holes teams are laughing while GMs scratch their heads and dream of getting control of the OIL and all the things THEY could do that Tambo is impotent to.

Worst 5 on 5 team in 14 years

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:42 AM
  #11
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The only plus side here is at least we should have some trade options. Hemsky and Gagner's trade value is higher now than at any point in the last 3-4 years I would think.
And, realistically, who would you hope to get in return?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
  #12
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
And, realistically, who would you hope to get in return?
Not sure. I wonder what their value as a package might be.

Gagner + Petry for Bogosian + Jokinen

Hemsky + Peckham for Clifford + Bernier

Perhaps?

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
  #13
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
When the big answer to a team getting better is 'time' you are in huge trouble. 'time' does not cure ills.
You are correct: there is no conceivable way players improve after they are drafted. Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, Yakupov should all be traded before they enter their mid 20s and start to decline.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:45 AM
  #14
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Not sure. I wonder what their value as a package might be.

Gagner + Petry for Bogosian + Jokinen

Hemsky + Peckham for Clifford + Bernier

Perhaps?
Oilers lose both those trades.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:47 AM
  #15
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,350
vCash: 500
We need a physical young forward and a potential stud d-man on the back end though, you're not going to get that without giving something up.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
  #16
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 1360
One of these threads? We must have lost last night!

*checks*

Yup!

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
  #17
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
.500 means you are a bad team in todays NHL. Why people trot out that stupid stat in this day and age I'll never know.
A bad team is an improvement on a terrible team which is what we've been for the past 3-4 years. Bad team I think we could call 15-25 in the league which is what a .500 point percentage will get you.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:52 AM
  #18
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
We need a physical young forward and a potential stud d-man on the back end though, you're not going to get that without giving something up.
You aren't trading either of those guys without gouging out other holes in your roster.

Bogosian's good, but giving up Gagner and Petry for him and the corpse of Olli Jokinen destroys your centre depth long term and doesn't address the need for an additional top 4 defenceman. Trading Hemsky for a coke machine pylon like Clifford is just insulting.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:55 AM
  #19
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
You aren't trading either of those guys without gouging out other holes in your roster.

Bogosian's good, but giving up Gagner and Petry for him and the corpse of Olli Jokinen destroys your centre depth long term and doesn't address the need for an additional top 4 defenceman. Trading Hemsky for a coke machine pylon like Clifford is just insulting.
I'm assuming in this scenario there's a pretty fair chance the Oilers could grab Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm (maybe even Mackinnon, *gulp*) in the draft.

The Clifford deal ok, who knows. Maybe Hemsky for Simmonds? I don't know if Philly bites.

I would take the risk on Bogosian though. Bogosian, J. Schultz, Smid, and Klefbom is a pretty solid group of 4 players to build a D around.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
  #20
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Tambo is an idiot. Even fistric was MacTs doing.
Any proof of this?

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
  #21
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm assuming in this scenario there's a pretty fair chance the Oilers could grab Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm (maybe even Mackinnon, *gulp*) in the draft.

The Clifford deal ok, who knows. Maybe Hemsky for Simmonds? I don't know if Philly bites.

I would take the risk on Bogosian though. Bogosian, J. Schultz, Smid, and Klefbom is a pretty solid group of 4 players to build a D around.
IMO Oilers should be looking at swinging quantity (picks and prospects) for quality instead of picking apart their few actually productive players. For example: if Bogosian is a good bet, would you trade this year's first? I'd consider it.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
  #22
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Not sure. I wonder what their value as a package might be.

Gagner + Petry for Bogosian + Jokinen

Hemsky + Peckham for Clifford + Bernier

Perhaps?
I'm kinda weary of the first deal simply because this could be the breakout season we've waited 5 years for with Gagner and Jokinen looks like a millstone contract. Also, there's no reason to move Gagner yet, if we do that, Eric ****ing Belanger becomes our 2nd line center.

The second one I'd do in a heartbeat, but I doubt Lombardi is looking to trade with the Oilers anytime soon. I'd like to see the Oilers trade Hemsky before he gets inevitably injured again though.

Hemsky to Boston for Horton+1st? Boston's PP is terribad atm and really needs a good playmaker, while Horton would bring us some much needed size in the top 6. If Horton stinks it up, we just let him go and toss Hemsky's cap hit at Clarkson in the summer. Boston's 1st probably will be in the 25-30 range, but every year someone like Lazar/Pulock/Gauthier fall to that range for whatever reason.

Hemsky to Ottawa for Greening+Wiercoch+2013/2014 1st? Two huge young players with lots of potential but haven't put it together in Ottawa quite yet. This addresses team size needs while also keeping the players at similar age to our young guns. Let Ottawa have a choice which 1st to give up since they could very well be bottom 5 this season and Hemmer is not worth a top 5 pick.

Hemsky to Pittsburgh for Despres+1st? Gives the Penguins another top 6 winger so that Pascal Dupuis isn't getting consistent ice time alongside Crosby/Malkin. The Oilers get a big young NHL ready dman to step right into the top 4 and possibly play with Schultz, and while Pittsburgh probably had plans for Despres, they have Martin+Letang jamming up the top pairing, Niskanen+Orpik as capable top 4 dmen and Morrow/Pouliot/Maata coming in. The 1st, once again while in the 20-30 range, might land us a faller.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:16 AM
  #23
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 553
First -- to be honest i have zero faith in Tambi and the thought of him actually making a big trade makes me squeemish. I dont think he knows how to talk to other GMs though so i think he will continue to leave this team with huge holes to be filled "in time...maybe...maybe not". in time those holes will be filled just as others are made. yay. constant suckage as Tambi drives this train of suckage on the fuel of suckage to a record of consistant suckage.

This is the time of year where GMs meet with their scouts too so normally end of feb GMs have the prospects on their minds alot which can increase your relative DP value as a bottom team. Normally bottom teams dont del those picks though.

TO BOS
Edm 1st
Petry
Roy

To EDM
Bos 1st
Boychuk
Caron


-----
TO NYR
Jones
Edm 2nd

To EDM
Boyle

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
  #24
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,452
vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Any proof of this?
because it was a good trade that helped fill a need, obviously tambo had no part in that and it had to come from someone else. it cant be lowe because he is equally as stupid so by default it has to be mac T.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
  #25
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
.
TO BOS
Edm 1st
Petry
Roy

To EDM
Bos 1st
Boychuk
Caron
Okay, um hate to break it to you, but Boychuk has been considered a bust for a while now. We don't need to trade down our first and trade a top 4 dman Petry for guys like Caron and Boychuk.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.