HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Should the Ducks retire #9 for Paul Kariya

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
  #201
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
lol.
Well I am going to just give some quick cliffnotes version from the 10 minute conversation.
The biggest thing from the conversation was that he had signed a contract with the Ducks but failed two physicals last summer right before he retired. Him and Teemu had talked every week and both were going to sign a contract with the Ducks and start a pathway to the HOF tour and that the marketing department was already starting to push them reuniting. He seemed really really excited to be back with the Ducks and sounded like he wanted to make up for the Colorado choice to the fans. He basically said the only thing that held him back was his concussion problems and how much he thought head shots were getting worse and worse of a problem. He said he felt great and the year off let him get back in hockey shape and I said that if he came back half as good as Teemu did after his break he could play til he was 50 and he laughed then and I said thanks and asked for an autograph and then left. He signed my Costco receipt haha.
So, I was right.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:00 PM
  #202
rocketxav9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
they should obviously

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:58 AM
  #203
OCSportsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
He should be, regardless of how people feel. But by the time it happens there should be at least 2-3 retired prior to his number.

I have been a season ticket holder since his first year, and he was the face of the franchise until the 2003 playoffs where Jiggy was amazing. That is basically half of our existence, you cant exclude him just because of one bad decision.

Also, the first number cant be retired until he stops playing.

In case you are wondering

1) Selanne
2) jiggy
3) kariya,Neds,Rucchin (not sure who I would pick)

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:16 AM
  #204
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
they should obviously
So shocked you bumped this.

Still a no from me. Id have him around 6th on players Id retire. 2nd, maybe third in terms of on ice contributions, but having a number retired is about a little more than that.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:28 AM
  #205
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,005
vCash: 500
Honestly, I hate the puke, but would understand the reasoning behind it. Still, they should at least wait until Ryan is a King .

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:50 AM
  #206
Old Man Barking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
No.

He acted like a ****** and ought to be treated as such. Sucks for him, he should have had more class.

Old Man Barking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:02 AM
  #207
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16,681
vCash: 500
It's a dumb idea because most duck fans hold many other players in higher regard now, and without any overwhelming support WHY would you retire his number?

Selanne is the only one who has that support, and the resume. JSG MIGHT also have that chance, beyond them? no one seems worthy

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:14 AM
  #208
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
It's a dumb idea because most duck fans hold many other players in higher regard now, and without any overwhelming support WHY would you retire his number?

Selanne is the only one who has that support, and the resume. JSG MIGHT also have that chance, beyond them? no one seems worthy
In my opinion, Jiggy is a no-brainer and needs to be retired.

I think us not giving #35 to anyone (latest that pops to mind - Gibson), is an indication Ducks are willing to retire Jiggy as well.

Teemu also played with #13, but as many are playing that number (currently - Boner), the Legend will retire #8, which seems the most logical option.

As far as Kariya - i don`t think i want his name up there since it have a lot of negatives with it.

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:04 AM
  #209
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,237
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
He should be, regardless of how people feel.
You mean, regardless of how people who aren't you feel.

Quote:
I have been a season ticket holder since his first year, and he was the face of the franchise until the 2003 playoffs where Jiggy was amazing. That is basically half of our existence, you cant exclude him just because of one bad decision.
Of course you can.

At this point he's only the 4th or 5th best player in franchise history. I think he'd need to rejoin the franchise and rehabilitate his image before a retirement is even considerable, and even then not until a number of folks have gone up.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
  #210
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,134
vCash: 500
#9 is Bobby's number.

End of story.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
  #211
Suddenly7
Registered User
 
Suddenly7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
He should be, regardless of how people feel. But by the time it happens there should be at least 2-3 retired prior to his number.

I have been a season ticket holder since his first year, and he was the face of the franchise until the 2003 playoffs where Jiggy was amazing. That is basically half of our existence, you cant exclude him just because of one bad decision.

Also, the first number cant be retired until he stops playing.

In case you are wondering

1) Selanne
2) jiggy
3) kariya,Neds,Rucchin (not sure who I would pick)
Selanne and Jiggy should get their numbers retired. They played a huge part in our existences. I feel as though we should have a mini hall of fame for our Ducks at the Honda Center. There we can put Rucchin and Kariya. Neds I'm not sure what to do since he had his jersey retired in NJ. Can we retire his number as well?

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
  #212
DucksLove
Rookie User
 
DucksLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Apple Valley
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
I cannot stand Paul!

he left our team because he wanted to be on a winning team and moved on!
The moment he left we won the cup!

Nothing put a smile on my face more that day!

All I could picture was him sitting there going Damn.....

Not to mention the fact the few times I met him he was a Dick.and thought his **** didn't stink!

Teemu is a very nice man. At least to me he always has been

Yes teemu left with Paul but he came back.and that's all that matters.

So I guess what I'm saying is NO

DucksLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
  #213
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksLove View Post
I cannot stand Paul!

he left our team because he wanted to be on a winning team and moved on!
The moment he left we won the cup!

Nothing put a smile on my face more that day!

All I could picture was him sitting there going Damn.....

Not to mention the fact the few times I met him he was a Dick.and thought his **** didn't stink!

Teemu is a very nice man. At least to me he always has been

Yes teemu left with Paul but he came back.and that's all that matters.

So I guess what I'm saying is NO
Teemu did not leave with Paul. He came from SJ where we foolishly had traded him.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
  #214
DucksLove
Rookie User
 
DucksLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Apple Valley
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
That's right that's right!

We got Jeff from.San Jose that year right?

DucksLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
  #215
Disgruntled Goat
Registered User
 
Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksLove View Post
That's right that's right!

We got Jeff from.San Jose that year right?
Oh God don't remind me... It was like 2000-2001 when we got his useless ass. Then he gets traded to the Devils, and helps them win a cup in 03.

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
  #216
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Teemu did not leave with Paul. He came from SJ where we foolishly had traded him.
Didn't he ask for it though? That's what I thought

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
  #217
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,237
vCash: 50
No, he didn't.

And we actually paid part of Teemu's salary that season AND the next in that deal. Pierre Gauthier should be hung.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
  #218
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,245
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
#9 is Bobby's number.

End of story.
This. I don't understand why there is still a discussion. Ryan wanted to wear 9 that entire year, it took a while cause management had to make the call on if they had any plans to retire the number or not. They made their intentions public when Ryan got his number change. The only Ducks that currently deserve a number retirement are Selanne and Giguere.

I don't care if PK is in the right or wrong about what he did to this team. The club could see it like he was one of the people who truly put Anaheim on the map, he left way too many fans with a bitter taste in their mouth. Whether or not he deserves it, it's clearly still shrouded in controversy, and that alone will prevent him from getting honored.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
  #219
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
The only numbers I would retire are Selanne, on opening day the year after he retires, and Giguere somewhere down the line. Id also have Rucchin, Neidermayer and Salei ahead of Kariya, although the only one Id consider retiring is Salei because of his tenure with the team and the events of the Lokomotiv crash.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  #220
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
No.

The only Duck who totally deserves to get their # retired is Teemu. Giguere/Niedermayer are 50/50.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
  #221
Suddenly7
Registered User
 
Suddenly7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
No.

The only Duck who totally deserves to get their # retired is Teemu. Giguere/Niedermayer are 50/50.
I'll agree with this statement. Giguere though gets it slightly more than Niedermayer

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
  #222
Water Knight
Registered User
 
Water Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
No the Ducks should not retire Kariya's number.
1. He left on bad terms.
2. #9 belongs to Silver.

Water Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:48 PM
  #223
navyduck
Registered User
 
navyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Generally a number retirement is based on accolades with the team as well as overwhelming positive popularity.

Kariya does not fit into that second category by any stretch. As someone earlier in this necro'd post said, it would be a PR debacle and would not sit well with many of the fans.

For those of you who are always pushing for him to have is number retired, you just have to face the facts that the likely-hood of it happening anywhere in the near future is completely nil.

The only player(s) that should have their numbers retired in the near future would be Flash, Giggy and possibly Scotty.

Scotty can have his number retired here as well as New Jersey. Gretzky is the same way with the Oilers, Kings AND Rangers I believe. It is a recognition of excellence and popularity by a particular team and not the league.

navyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
  #224
Disgruntled Goat
Registered User
 
Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyduck View Post
Generally a number retirement is based on accolades with the team as well as overwhelming positive popularity.

Kariya does not fit into that second category by any stretch. As someone earlier in this necro'd post said, it would be a PR debacle and would not sit well with many of the fans.

For those of you who are always pushing for him to have is number retired, you just have to face the facts that the likely-hood of it happening anywhere in the near future is completely nil.

The only player(s) that should have their numbers retired in the near future would be Flash, Giggy and possibly Scotty.

Scotty can have his number retired here as well as New Jersey. Gretzky is the same way with the Oilers, Kings AND Rangers I believe. It is a recognition of excellence and popularity by a particular team and not the league.
Bourque in Boston/Colorado as well I believe.

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:40 AM
  #225
Theridion
Registered User
 
Theridion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Selanne.
Jiggy.

Jiggy almost won us two cups. One of them practically by himself. I dont know if that season is a sweet memory or bitter one, but it was an amazing time to be a socal sports fan.

Salei would be a fine gesture.
Kariya would be a waste of a good number.

Neidermayer? Well, the dude is still in the organization. Let him continue to c9ntribute to duck hockey, then retire it down the line.

No one gets hung before teemu.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.