HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 07:03 PM
  #876
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 710
I have been reading every single one of your Sim City updates and it's gotten to the point where I am completely lost whenever you talk about anything but population. I have no idea what is happening anymore, but I am happy for you and hope it all continues to work out for you.

Also, Halo 4 map pack comes out soon. I might start playing again when it does. All three are small arena-style maps. Whoop whoop!

FUBAR McDangles is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
  #877
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,309
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I have been reading every single one of your Sim City updates and it's gotten to the point where I am completely lost whenever you talk about anything but population. I have no idea what is happening anymore, but I am happy for you and hope it all continues to work out for you.
Cant tell if sarcasm or not...

Avder is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
  #878
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Cant tell if sarcasm or not...
Not sarcastic. You're talking about redoing subways to cut down on time or something and I understand the words and all that, but not how that correlates to people and then you're talking about tiles and some other mumbo jumbo that confuses me and so on and so on. I do wish you luck though. Seems like you're having a good time.

I used to play Zoo Tycoon, if that is anything like what you're doing. I remember normal zoo tycoon, then there was a dinosaur one that was so amazing. I remember I'd work super hard to get my visitor numbers up to a certain point, like a few hundred thousand a day or something, then I'd build a cage wall to cut off the entrance to the park and then "accidentally" delete a fence on the T-rex exhibit. Aww lawdy lawdy, call me a sadistic ***** or something, but it was hilarious.

FUBAR McDangles is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:22 AM
  #879
Engebretson
Another GopherClone
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 5,950
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I've updated my lineup but I feel like I have too many players from Minnesota...

I decided to sell my Vanek SOTW card.

Parise - Koivu - Seto (SOTW)
Bouchard - Backes - Heatley (RW position)
Brodziak (LW position) - Hudler - Clutterbuck (SOTW)
Mitchell - Konopka - Okposo

Scratches: Cullen, Latendresse, Rupp

Suter - Spurgeon (Assistant)
Goligoski - E. Johnson
Niskanen (LD) - Gilbert

Scratches: Alzner, Ballard, Falk, Stoner

Backstrom
Harding (SOTW)

All Wild cards and 98% team chemistry.
If you want to add another Minnesotan to your team, I highly recommend Ryan McDonagh. One of the best TWD I've ever played with.

Engebretson is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:24 AM
  #880
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 410
NHL 13 badly needs a roster update.

elnewby is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
  #881
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,845
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
NHL 13 badly needs a roster update.
Huh? I think they've even updated Rupp to Minnesota...

__________________
"Flat out until you see God, count to three, then brake!" - Kevin Schwantz
Puhis is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
  #882
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,845
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Cant tell if sarcasm or not...
I was only half lost through that update. I kind of got what was your problem and why you needed to solve it and what it achieved, but can't tell WHAT you did to solve it.

I mean, "put the stations on bypasses" kind of escaped me.

Puhis is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
  #883
StealthClobber
#humangousbig
 
StealthClobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 434
Avder do you plan on getting the new SimCity?

StealthClobber is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
  #884
Emilie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
Reading this thread has made me realize how behind I am on everything. I use to be a pretty hardcore gamer (not sports games though), and haven't had the time to turn my xbox on for anything other than a few games here and there.

I'm still trying to figure out how to pass in NHL13, and you jerks are talking about trading pucks and making all MN teams...things that are all way over my head. I might as well sell the damn game now and take my 10 bucks to wipe my tears with.

Emilie is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
  #885
RxDangles19
Registered User
 
RxDangles19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Anybody play EASHL on Xbox? I am looking for a club. I am very good playmaking center or winger

RxDangles19 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
  #886
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Huh? I think they've even updated Rupp to Minnesota...
The most recent update that is available is January 24. No Rupp(Powe) and no Brodin for me. Which is a shame because the put out two per month in December and January. And somehow EA manages to bust out a FIFA update every week or so.

Oh well.

elnewby is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:42 PM
  #887
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 50
PS4 announcement in a just over an hour. Won't get to see it since I'll be at work but either way, I doubt I'll be buying one in the first year or so. Might even switch to the 720, not sure yet.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
  #888
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,309
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Not sarcastic. You're talking about redoing subways to cut down on time or something and I understand the words and all that, but not how that correlates to people and then you're talking about tiles and some other mumbo jumbo that confuses me and so on and so on. I do wish you luck though. Seems like you're having a good time.

I used to play Zoo Tycoon, if that is anything like what you're doing. I remember normal zoo tycoon, then there was a dinosaur one that was so amazing. I remember I'd work super hard to get my visitor numbers up to a certain point, like a few hundred thousand a day or something, then I'd build a cage wall to cut off the entrance to the park and then "accidentally" delete a fence on the T-rex exhibit. Aww lawdy lawdy, call me a sadistic ***** or something, but it was hilarious.
Haha, that is awesome. I do that sometimes when I get pissed off at a city. I'll just take out ye olde' disaster menu and start to rain down meteors and hostile aliens and earthquakes and all kinds of stuff. And if I'm really feeling mean, I'll shut off the fire departments, drop a couple of nuclear plants around town and then deliberately cause them to melt down. Good times man, good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I was only half lost through that update. I kind of got what was your problem and why you needed to solve it and what it achieved, but can't tell WHAT you did to solve it.

I mean, "put the stations on bypasses" kind of escaped me.
Well the problem I was addressing was subway line congestion. You see, in a city with 3,100,000 sims in it, almost every subway line I have in the city is congested because EVERYONE takes the subway with the Network Addon Mod installed (no really, my subway to car traffic ratio is at least 3:1 or something).

The way I had my subway set up when I originally built it is like this (=== subway line X station):

====X======X=====X

With the stations directly on the line. What that does is add to the congestion, because while the subway lines themselves have a very very high capacity, the stations do not. So subway traffic gets backed up waiting to get through a congested station, it makes congestion worse and nobody is happy.

So what I did was totally re-built the system with the main lines offset from where the stations are, and each station gets its own little line that hooks back into the main line, so that main-line traffic just keeps going since intersections do not slow subways down at all.

Looks sort of like this (if this shows up right)

================= <---main line
|| || <---Individual station lines coming off the main line
=X= <--- subway station no longer directly on the main line

So the main lines have now bypassed all of the stations. Think of it like a limited access highway. Once you are on the highway, you get to go full speed from wherever you got on, to wherever you are going because there are no stop lights. These little station lines jutting off the main subway line are like the on and off ramps.

Doing this cut my commute time in half, because now the only congestion on the main lines is from actual subway volume, not from waiting to get through crowded stations.

And cutting commute time results in an increase in desirability, which leads to crappy low-wealth tenements being leveled in favor of fancy mid-wealth deluxe apartments, and a slight increase in population. I think I gained something like 50,000 on the strength of this upgrade. But I still think it would be pretty hard to push 3,200,000 at this point, as packed as this city already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthClobber View Post
Avder do you plan on getting the new SimCity?
I'm considering it. I'm going to wait until after launch tho, at least, for them to get the bugs worked out of the system, and also to see if someone on youtube does a lets play of it that can get me interested.

Avder is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
  #889
GMAN23
My grammer lacks
 
GMAN23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thorndale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,269
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
PS4 announcement in a just over an hour. Won't get to see it since I'll be at work but either way, I doubt I'll be buying one in the first year or so. Might even switch to the 720, not sure yet.
Anywhere I can watch this announcement?

GMAN23 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
  #890
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Wow just wow.

I just played against one of the biggest ****ing idiots in NHL 13. 6-5 for him, start of the 3rd and all he did was staying in his ****ing zone while I keep trying to poke check him because I started to dominate him the period before. Also, he somehow found a way to score from his own ****ing zone to make it 7-5 at the end of the game. (No empty net) I hope I won't see him again because I'd be ready for a rematch anytime.


Last edited by Fel 96: 02-20-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Fel 96 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
  #891
Haite
x
 
Haite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN23 View Post
Anywhere I can watch this announcement?
http://www.ustream.tv/PlayStation

Haite is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
  #892
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,845
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Wow just wow.

I just played against one of the biggest ****ing idiots in NHL 13. 6-5 for him, start of the 3rd and all he did was staying in his ****ing zone while I keep trying to poke check him because I started to dominate him the period before. Also, he somehow found a way to score from his own ****ing zone to make it 7-5 at the end of the game. (No empty net) I hope I won't see him again because I'd be ready for a rematch anytime.
Oh yes, the kind of people that make me want to consider an arson.

Puhis is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
  #893
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Wow just wow.

I just played against one of the biggest ****ing idiots in NHL 13. 6-5 for him, start of the 3rd and all he did was staying in his ****ing zone while I keep trying to poke check him because I started to dominate him the period before. Also, he somehow found a way to score from his own ****ing zone to make it 7-5 at the end of the game. (No empty net) I hope I won't see him again because I'd be ready for a rematch anytime.
**** like this is the reason why I broke a controller for the first time since N64. I full on football touchdown spiked my controller because of an idiot like you described.

Rage like no other

Also- I'm watching the PS4 announcement event thing on gametrailers, and this is boring as ****. I want pictures and specs. I don't care about how "the core performance of the console would be essential to the success, but the cross-platform connectibility needs to vary in order to truly connect to the player" shut the **** up and announce the thing already. Jeez.

FUBAR McDangles is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
  #894
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,845
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well the problem I was addressing was subway line congestion. You see, in a city with 3,100,000 sims in it, almost every subway line I have in the city is congested because EVERYONE takes the subway with the Network Addon Mod installed (no really, my subway to car traffic ratio is at least 3:1 or something).

The way I had my subway set up when I originally built it is like this (=== subway line X station):

====X======X=====X

With the stations directly on the line. What that does is add to the congestion, because while the subway lines themselves have a very very high capacity, the stations do not. So subway traffic gets backed up waiting to get through a congested station, it makes congestion worse and nobody is happy.

So what I did was totally re-built the system with the main lines offset from where the stations are, and each station gets its own little line that hooks back into the main line, so that main-line traffic just keeps going since intersections do not slow subways down at all.

Looks sort of like this (if this shows up right)

================= <---main line
|| || <---Individual station lines coming off the main line
=X= <--- subway station no longer directly on the main line

So the main lines have now bypassed all of the stations. Think of it like a limited access highway. Once you are on the highway, you get to go full speed from wherever you got on, to wherever you are going because there are no stop lights. These little station lines jutting off the main subway line are like the on and off ramps.

Doing this cut my commute time in half, because now the only congestion on the main lines is from actual subway volume, not from waiting to get through crowded stations.

And cutting commute time results in an increase in desirability, which leads to crappy low-wealth tenements being leveled in favor of fancy mid-wealth deluxe apartments, and a slight increase in population. I think I gained something like 50,000 on the strength of this upgrade. But I still think it would be pretty hard to push 3,200,000 at this point, as packed as this city already is.
Oh, that's very clever. I never managed to grow big enough of a city to justify building a subway, but... I still did it anyway. Good times, and flat broke cities.

Started playing little more Civilization V recently. I downloaded the Finland civ that some fan has made, and it's brilliant. Comes with Finlandia suite by Jean Sibelius as the default leader music, with other tunes accompanying the great soundtrack. Sauna, which replaces the shrine, is the civilization special building and special troop is the Ski Troop, which I can assume replaces infantry, haven't got that far yet.

I'm currently at somewhere around year 1780, and I already discovered electricity and therefore aluminum. Finished building the Eiffel Tower as well. I must confess, I'm playing this one on King difficulty though, usually playing on Emperor but I don't want to get my butt handed to me after taking a long hiatus from the game.

Also, Netherlands had the poor luck of being virtually next to me, and after they asked me if I was planning to attack (because I stationed my troops next to my border against them, fearing an attack from them), I just decided "**** it" and chose the "You're right, and it's time for you to die!" -option.

It was a successful invasion, and I managed to grab most of their cities, including their capital, before Napoleon (who was also in war with them) got his hands on them.

The upside was that I practically doubled my territory as well as my city count (from 4 to 8). The downside was (and is) that now pretty much every other leader thinks of me as a blood-thirsty tyrant, which lead to some pretty hostile comments, a lot of denouncements and Sweden, Germany and Austria eventually declaring a war on me. Now I'm fighting the Swedes to my east, trying to hold them off and maybe advance slightly, and the Krauts to my west. Austria is thankfully about half a map away from me to the south so I don't really have to worry about them, although I did sink one of their frigates with my galleas.

Puhis is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:15 PM
  #895
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 410
And, new NHL roster update is released!



And Brodin, still in Houston......

elnewby is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
  #896
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Wait, a new roster update has been made tonight?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. - http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/art...-roster-update


Last edited by Fel 96: 02-20-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Fel 96 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:34 PM
  #897
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I asked to EA about Brodin. I expect an answer.

Seriously, I don't get it. No way they could have missed him...

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:39 PM
  #898
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I asked to EA about Brodin. I expect an answer.

Seriously, I don't get it. No way they could have missed him...
How did you ask them? Twitter? Just curious. It's pretty frustrating. It's not like he's our best d-man or anything...

I can't believe it took them this long for an update and they update a handful of prospects and do some minor player trades.

elnewby is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
  #899
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Yeah, on Twitter but it seems like they prefer replying to Oilers fans...

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  #900
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 410
The rosters need a lot of work. Karlsson's like the 30th ranked d-man, Derek Roy is an 86 and better than guys like Koivu and Kopitar, just to name a few. I hate to complain, but they either a) only care about online play($$$) or b) no one there knows anything about hockey.

End minor rant.

Edit: Angry tweet sent.

elnewby is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.