HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Ruff Didn't Score Enough: Trades 'n' FAs II

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock17 View Post
I'd say go after Getzlaf, but Anaheim is 12-2-1
And it's doubtful Getzlaf would resign with a bottom-feeder team. The Sabres are cooked this season. There's no sense in renting anyone for a "heroic" run to 9th.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Karate Johnson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock17 View Post
I like Oreilly, but if they have to give up a lot to get him AND pay him like a 1st line center (probably), he won't be worth it
Regardless of the results?

Old
02-19-2013, 10:13 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Sell off the expiring contracts for picks or prospects, make a real hockey deal or two, get one of MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones or Barkov. Bring in a new coach(Dallas Eakins), sign a couple of UFAs but make sure they will fit in.

I wouldn't mind giving a few guys from ROC a decent look, Pysyk, McNabb, Pardy, Porter ect..

It's time to evaluate everyone in this organization from top to bottom.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Sell off the expiring contracts for picks or prospects, make a real hockey deal or two, get one of MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones or Barkov. Bring in a new coach(Dallas Eakins), sign a couple of UFAs but make sure they will fit in.

I wouldn't mind giving a few guys from ROC a decent look, Pysyk, McNabb, Pardy, Porter ect..

It's time to evaluate everyone in this organization from top to bottom.
The top being Miller and Vanek, the bottom being Luke Adam, right? You realize that in Sabreland, the top doesn't go higher than the players, right? Anyone assistant equipment manager and up doesn't require evaluation.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Rasmus Reichel

I agree with trading leopold/regher to give pysyk/mcnabb a look

Old
02-20-2013, 12:00 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

My stance of getting RoR at a realistic cost (one of the centers, prospect(s), pick(s), etc.) is well known; doing it undoubtedly makes the Sabres a better team now and in the future. To the point of him not leading the Avs into the playoffs, I'll say that the Avalanche improved by 20 points last season (68 to 88) with a trainwreck defense, Stastny struggling for large chunks of the season and Duchene missing 25 games. They also improved their goal differential by 49 and gave up 68 less goals in 2011/12. The positive differences between the 2010/11 and 2011/12 Avs were the growth of O'Reilly and Landeskog. Certainly Landeskog had a big net gain for the team but O'Reilly did equally, if not more. Landeskog made it a point in his Calder winning speech to give credit to his teammates and specifically mentioned O'Reilly by name. Is he a franchise player? It depends on your definition. Is he a franchise changer? 100%

Old
02-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
what is everyone's definition of franchise player?

Because I absolutely believe Ryan O'reilly is the type of player who fits the label... but I suspect I'm in the minority. I guess my definition of franchise player is different.
I want RoR bad.... but I wouldn't put him as a franchise player....while you need what he brings to the table to win a cup....you're not going to get there if he is your MVP or franchise player....unless he develops into more than a 50-60 pt player.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:02 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
what is everyone's definition of franchise player?

Because I absolutely believe Ryan O'reilly is the type of player who fits the label... but I suspect I'm in the minority. I guess my definition of franchise player is different.
I see your viewpoint on it, but he's not much of a "name" which is going to be the standard answer. "franchise" guys are generally marketable "stars".

He fits a different category that's almost more important than that.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:23 AM
ceky

i would be fine to trade everybody except

vanek - hodgson - pom
foligno - ennis - armia
ott - grigs - X
X - girgs - X

sekera - myers
ehrhoff - pysyk

fantasy mode on.....

1) Stafford for picks (Staff + 3rd for late 1st round pick?)
2) regehr for picks (maybe a late 2nd/3rd round pick....)
3) leopold for picks (same as regehr)
4) bury leino ... deep

i do not think trading any other players would make sense (gerbe? no idea, but i can't see him bringing in any valuable return...) but if some team asks i would be willing

5) use own early 1st + late first + 3rd round picks to trade up in the draft (barkov?) or get RoR

6) use the money (roughly 15 mil) from substracting staff/regehr/leopold/leino to sign a vet FA on D (streit, whitney...) and somebody that can score goals (semin)

fantasy mode off.....

Old
02-20-2013, 06:03 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceky View Post
6) use the money (roughly 15 mil) from substracting staff/regehr/leopold/leino to sign a vet FA on D (streit, whitney...)
You've watched this year's team, right?

Streit and Whitney are far from the defensemen this team needs.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:26 AM
ceky

lol actually no, i just saw ~4 games this year (work, reading about the loss before having chance to watch the games .....)

imho this team as it is now is not strong enough to make a run for the playoffs (not even speaking about post season success...), so why not try to get as much as possible from this season for the next years?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:30 AM
mcc716
I LIKE EICH

Quote:
i would be fine to trade everybody except

vanek - hodgson - pom
foligno - ennis - armia
ott - grigs - X
X - girgs - X

sekera - myers
ehrhoff - pysyk

fantasy mode on.....

1) Stafford for picks (Staff + 3rd for late 1st round pick?)
2) regehr for picks (maybe a late 2nd/3rd round pick....)
3) leopold for picks (same as regehr)
4) bury leino ... deep

i do not think trading any other players would make sense (gerbe? no idea, but i can't see him bringing in any valuable return...) but if some team asks i would be willing

5) use own early 1st + late first + 3rd round picks to trade up in the draft (barkov?) or get RoR

6) use the money (roughly 15 mil) from substracting staff/regehr/leopold/leino to sign a vet FA on D (streit, whitney...) and somebody that can score goals (semin)

fantasy mode off.....
You realize we wont have to trade up for one of those guys? At this rate we'll have a top 5 pick

Old
02-20-2013, 06:42 AM
ceky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan97 View Post
At this rate we'll have a top 5 pick
i wouldn't count on it ..... if this team showed one thing those last years it's that it can surge at the end of the season to just narrowly miss the playoffs

Old
02-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
i wouldn't count on it ..... if this team showed one thing those last years it's that it can surge at the end of the season to just narrowly miss the playoffs
Quick, someone kidnap Miller and go Jeff Gillooly on Vanek.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Quick, someone kidnap Miller and go Jeff Gillooly on Vanek.
Nobody needs to Gillooly Vanek. He's already in the process of going Thomas Vanish anyway. Honestly, I'd prefer not to trade anyone and see how this group looks under a different coach, but it seems that'll never happen. I really don't think they are anywhere near as bad as their record, and when the record doesn't match the talent, that's on the coach.

But if we are forced down the trade route, I wonder what Poms could get us. I think he'd be a fine captain for a more mature group, but he might not be right for this group.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Nobody needs to Gillooly Vanek. He's already in the process of going Thomas Vanish anyway. Honestly, I'd prefer not to trade anyone and see how this group looks under a different coach, but it seems that'll never happen. I really don't think they are anywhere near as bad as their record, and when the record doesn't match the talent, that's on the coach.

But if we are forced down the trade route, I wonder what Poms could get us. I think he'd be a fine captain for a more mature group, but he might not be right for this group.
I've tried to be patient with the team and the management... After last night's crapfest though... something has to give.
I don't honestly care if it's the coach or players, just do something.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:03 AM
TehDoak
He sure has a

vCash: 903
If we are going full sell off mode:

First priority is to 'fix' the D. And by fix I mean purge. Gone are leopold, weber, and suzler. Bottom pairing guys all. I'm calling up Pardy to give him a fair shot and offering Regehr is 2 year extension to stay (2 years, maybe 2.5-3 a year, nothing crazy), if not I'm holding onto him until the deadline and getting a list of teams he would be willing to go to and working with him. Brennan, I'd probably give him an extended look. Any forward over the age of 24 is probably available at this point.

After that I'm talking with all my 2014 UFAs. Vanek, Pomniville, and Miller. Say 'Look, I think we can turn this team around quick. If you guys want to stay, you know we're going to do everything we can to fix this mess. We can talk extension in the summer, but if you want to go, we'd like to move you now and get max value for the future of the team' and see where they stand.

I'd guestimate that Miller is most likely to want out, with Vanek/Pomniville leaning towards staying as they've made this their home. But, if they want out, you start listening to offers and getting max return.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:34 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
If we are going full sell off mode:

First priority is to 'fix' the D. And by fix I mean purge. Gone are leopold, weber, and suzler. Bottom pairing guys all. I'm calling up Pardy to give him a fair shot and offering Regehr is 2 year extension to stay (2 years, maybe 2.5-3 a year, nothing crazy), if not I'm holding onto him until the deadline and getting a list of teams he would be willing to go to and working with him. Brennan, I'd probably give him an extended look. Any forward over the age of 24 is probably available at this point.

After that I'm talking with all my 2014 UFAs. Vanek, Pomniville, and Miller. Say 'Look, I think we can turn this team around quick. If you guys want to stay, you know we're going to do everything we can to fix this mess. We can talk extension in the summer, but if you want to go, we'd like to move you now and get max value for the future of the team' and see where they stand.

I'd guestimate that Miller is most likely to want out, with Vanek/Pomniville leaning towards staying as they've made this their home. But, if they want out, you start listening to offers and getting max return.
Sounds like a plan to me.
This organization needs to clean house top to bottom and get rid of all the underachievers.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Dabs21Nike

Offer Stafford, McNabb, and a 2nd for O'Reilly
If they decline, replace Stafford with Grigorenko.

We need a defensive center. Our forwards look lost in our own zone.

Trade Gerbe for a pick or waive him. Useless player.

Trade Leopold for a 2nd or 3rd. Someone always needs a vet D-man at the deadline.

Keep Ennis and give him the offensive zone starts that allowed him to dominate at times towards the end of last season.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Ott-O'Reilly-Kaleta
Foligno-Ennis-Grigorenko/Stafford
Scott-Hecht-McCormick

Old
02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

I'd offer trades to Vanek, Miller, and Pominville. For Vanek and Miller, their value is higher now than it's been in a few seasons. I suspect Miller takes that offer up, Vanek maybe, and Pominville elects to stay.

Miller and Leopold to Chicago for Crawford, Hjalmarsson, and McNeill. Chicago loads up for their run with Miller. Buffalo gets a starting goaltender for the short term, and Hjalmarsson can play with Myers. McNeill is another physical presence for Buffalo, and could play RW a la Horton. This puts Chicago close to the cap, but Leopold is gone after the season, and Chicago has shown that they'll tear down after the season if it puts them on a Cup run.

Vanek's a tougher sell. He'd fit in for the Rangers and the Wild, but neither are in position to take on Vanek's cap hit. Vanek to Colorado with Brennan for O'Reilly, Pickard, and a pick makes sense for Buffalo but not really for Colorado. Maybe Buffalo can get the Avs to bite on Vanek in a Roy-Ott style trade. Maybe they do just O'Reilly and Pickard? I think Regier missed the boat on Vanek by not sending him to the Rangers before the Nash trade.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
No Ennis or Ehrhoff at practice this morning.

OMG TRADE.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post

OMG TRADE.
It's so fitting that they make a nice package offer for Oreilly

Old
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post

OMG TRADE.
Grigorenko is in that #2 center role, kind of interesting, but our GM is Regier. SO nothing happens until the trade dead line.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups

Quote:
That would be over payment IMO.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:00 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Yeah, Ennis and Ehrhoff would hurt too much. Would have to be bigger than that.

Closed Thread