HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Gionta?

Old
07-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Gionta will be captain until he leaves

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Jigger77

Couldn't think of a better captain.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
How does everyone feel about going into next season with Gionta as captain?

He's a captain who leads by example, yet I feel as though his role and playing time will be diminished next season.

Thoughts?
Gionta has decided he is going to wear a "B" to honor our new GM.

What is the issue here again? I see Gionta and he goes hard every night i see him ,battles ...I got no problem.I don't see no diminished role or playin time whatsoever.

The leaders are in the room, that is where it counts.There is more than one leader SOME WITH NO LETTERS.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Still not my captain... still not a Gionta fan, either.
You should call the marketing president, tell them you're not happy with Gionta having the "C" on his jersey.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
rickthegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
You should call the marketing president, tell them you're not happy with Gionta having the "C" on his jersey.
C'mon, the guy can voice his opinion even if it's not the same as yours. This post is a direct question,right ?
Myself,I think Gionta represents the Gayney and Gauthier era that i wish could be magically erased hehehe....anyways, the way I see it, our teams real captain last season, the guy that others looked up to because of his courage,his performance,his grit,the example he st on the ice is Cole, and I expect it to be the same this season...Gionta is gonna keep his honorary C has long as he's here, but there are others xho deserve it more

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I want Gionta to finish his career here. Sign him for 2.5-3 million after his deal's up, bet you he'll still be good for 20 goals.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
My opinion, dosen't mean I think everybody should share my thoughts. Thanks for coming out.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Although I think Gorges deserves the C just as much as Gionta, I'm a huge fan of #21. I'm happy he's on the team, I have no doubts he makes an excellent captain.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He'll be captain until he retires, is traded, or leaves via free agency.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

The captain who convinced Cole to come to Montreal is more than OK in my book, even though his leadership seems to be the quiet kind.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
My opinion, dosen't mean I think everybody should share my thoughts. Thanks for coming out.
I'm not against voicing your opinion, I don't even see how I even remotely imply that in my post.

It was just a sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek reply by me. The only thing that meant to say in my post is that being named captain of an NHL team is mostly a marketing move. The real leaders of a team are not necessarily wearing the "C" on their jersey, that's all.

Geez some people are way too sensitive here.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Mike Lalor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I want Gionta to finish his career here. Sign him for 2.5-3 million after his deal's up, bet you he'll still be good for 20 goals.
Betcha his pride'll notch him closer to 30. Captain G rocks.

Mike Lalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

How could anyone outside the team understand how Gionta is a good captain or not is a bit sad and funny at the same time. You don't know anything, it's impossible, it's inside the team. When some says 'I think his time is over...' yeah right, like you would know that

Gionta was sorely missed last season, it was pretty evident, not ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Still not my captain...
Of course he isn't. You'd have to be on the team for him to be your captain.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:28 AM
LePoche69

What about Gionta?

With the emergence of Gallagher and Eller and the building efficiency of White as a fourth liner, I wonder if Habs should think of trading Gionta.

Here's my humble toughts :

1- Gionta isn't really efficient since 2 years now. Not dominant at all in any aspect of the game.
2- Gionta could bring a good return come the trade deadline because he still has value for a team going all the way (veteran, leadership, playoffs experience) or for a young team thinking they may win it all.
3- Trading Gionta wouldn't be a tanking move because he's replaceable, and it would still be a move to help the team for the future depending on what comes back.

I would contemplate the same thing for Cole, but not for both; Habs still need veteran presence. But Cole, the way he's playing, doesn't have the same value right now, and I do think he will turns things around, if not this year then next year.

What do you guys think about that?

LePoche69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

If the Habs need a veteran presence in the room and want to keep one around it's Gionta and not Cole! Gionta also has 1 year left on his deal compared to the 2 of Cole

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:33 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If the Habs need a veteran presence in the room and want to keep one around it's Gionta and not Cole! Gionta also has 1 year left on his deal compared to the 2 of Cole
I prefer keeping the size of Cole. But that's me.

LePoche69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Pretty harsh to say....but I'm done with Gionta. And like I keep saying, I predict that this will be pretty hard to handle for Therrien 'cause right now...Gionta would be on my 4th line. But tough 2 years to come especially at that amount.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Mike The Wall

ok do you guys know what a NO TRADE CLAUSE / NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE MEAN?????

That is what BOTH Gionta and Cole have.

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

I can't see why you'd trade your captain when you're doing well. That being said, I don't see him being resigned the way he's playing (and with small guys like BGally and DD with the team).

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Nedved

I cannot believe this guy is the habs captain.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:41 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty harsh to say....but I'm done with Gionta. And like I keep saying, I predict that this will be pretty hard to handle for Therrien 'cause right now...Gionta would be on my 4th line. But tough 2 years to come especially at that amount.
Yup.

To quote part of my post in the thoughts on the season so far thread:
Quote:
Brian Gionta is first on my pooplist with a big, smudgy brown bullet. He's a charlatan and he wouldn't even be on the 1st line of an AHL team with his deplorable hockey sense. EVERY. SINGLE. PLAY. dies on his stick. He backchecks very well but then gifts the breakout pass right to the opposition because he's too damn stupid with the puck - exhausting both himself and his increasingly frustrated linemates. His stick is so short (I wonder why...) he whiffs on the easiest tap-ins and one-timers and he always has to resort to his patented crappy snap-shot. He's 0.5ppg so far and I really don't expect him to suddenly wake up - he can't start crashing the net, he can't start winning the puck on the dump-and-chase and he can't even score on an open net. If this is the Gionta we're stuck with and if it continues, he's buy-out fodder. **** this guy, he's been crap.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
With the emergence of Gallagher and Eller and the building efficiency of White as a fourth liner, I wonder if Habs should think of trading Gionta.

Here's my humble toughts :

1- Gionta isn't really efficient since 2 years now. Not dominant at all in any aspect of the game.
2- Gionta could bring a good return come the trade deadline because he still has value for a team going all the way (veteran, leadership, playoffs experience) or for a young team thinking they may win it all.
3- Trading Gionta wouldn't be a tanking move because he's replaceable, and it would still be a move to help the team for the future depending on what comes back.

I would contemplate the same thing for Cole, but not for both; Habs still need veteran presence. But Cole, the way he's playing, doesn't have the same value right now, and I do think he will turns things around, if not this year then next year.

What do you guys think about that?

Gionta is one of our best two ways players. He comes to play every games and he is a low maintenance vet. He will give you 20-30 goals per season and, alongside Bourque and Plekanec, a line with boatloads of experience btw, he usually faces our opponent’s top line.

Gionta, just like Hamrlik before, has become our most underrated player. Am I surprised? Heck no (the following is not necessarily directed against the op): on hfboards, 27 years old + players are often labeled as “old”!

And yes, trading Gionta would be a tanking move: no one is ready to play against the same level of competition than him. Well... maybe Eller but that’s it. Gallagher first needs to learn how to protect himself.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall View Post
ok do you guys know what a NO TRADE CLAUSE / NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE MEAN?????

That is what BOTH Gionta and Cole have.
No **** but do you know what ASKING THE PLAYER TO WAIVE THE NTC MEANS????

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:43 AM
bib
#believe

Not to toot my own horn, but eh, what the hell

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1222091

At this point, Gionta stays.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote