HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambo, the obvious truth is before you...

Old
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Here's a good old fashioned simple solution. Hemsky for Clowe.

Hall Nuge Ebs
Clowe Gags Yak

The guy is struggling and Hemsky's value is back up to respectability.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Any proof of this?
The way i have been told -not revealing sources- is MacT inquired about Fistric with Nieuwendyk this past summer. Fistric was on a short list of Macs for specifically a bottom pair assignment. When the lockout ended Niewendyk took a look at the depth chart and the long list of challengers who needed opportunity, he contacted MacT and things got done pretty fast.
It was a deal that fell into Tambis lap to sign once all the work had been done by MacT (Tambis boss).

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
The way i have been told -not revealing sources- is MacT inquired about Fistric with Nieuwendyk this past summer. Fistric was on a short list of Macs for specifically a bottom pair assignment. When the lockout ended Niewendyk took a look at the depth chart and the long list of challengers who needed opportunity, he contacted MacT and things got done pretty fast.
It was a deal that fell into Tambis lap to sign once all the work had been done by MacT (Tambis boss).
So basically it relies on hear-say for the rest of us.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Six in O6

Sounds like everyone is missing Penner's size. Weird. Who would have thought. This team cannot be trading assets for projects or fringe players. They are at the point where if they do need to make a trade (I'm not sold they do at this point), they should be getting legitimate roster players back. I don't know if Clowe, Penner or Malone are top 6 material these days.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Sounds like everyone is missing Penner's size. Weird. Who would have thought. This team cannot be trading assets for projects or fringe players. They are at the point where if they do need to make a trade (I'm not sold they do at this point), they should be getting legitimate roster players back. I don't know if Clowe, Penner or Malone are top 6 material these days.
Does it even matter? With a top six of Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Gags, Yak we don't need a guy to get 60 points he just needs to create space, win battles and have some finish.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Okay, um hate to break it to you, but Boychuk has been considered a bust for a while now. We don't need to trade down our first and trade a top 4 dman Petry for guys like Caron and Boychuk.
Agree to disagree. I will just make my pitch... Petry has offensive upside but his defense is terrible. Boychuk has a cup plays 25 minutes a night and my second team is Boston so i watch about 5 hours of Boston games a week. Boychuk is what he is... a RHD smid.

Our weakest hole is the RHD position which is also hampering JSchultz since he is the only one worth playing on that side.

Boychuk is a bust? Did you think he was Pronger 2.0 or Lidstrom 2.0? Also you are switching picks not giving the first. Boychuk is also, like Boyle, one of the best dressing room guys on the team and a complete professional.
Boychuk is what he is and what he is is sorely needed on the Oilers. Petry is in his spot right now so the move makes most sense.

BTw Boychuk is a local boy but for me that is just coincidence as i never care about that stuff.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:33 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Agree to disagree. I will just make my pitch... Petry has offensive upside but his defense is terrible. Boychuk has a cup plays 25 minutes a night and my second team is Boston so i watch about 5 hours of Boston games a week. Boychuk is what he is... a RHD smid.

Our weakest hole is the RHD position which is also hampering JSchultz since he is the only one worth playing on that side.

Boychuk is a bust? Did you think he was Pronger 2.0 or Lidstrom 2.0? Also you are switching picks not giving the first. Boychuk is also, like Boyle, one of the best dressing room guys on the team and a complete professional.
Boychuk is what he is and what he is is sorely needed on the Oilers. Petry is in his spot right now so the move makes most sense.

BTw Boychuk is a local boy but for me that is just coincidence as i never care about that stuff.
I disagree that Petry's defense is terrible more worried about his offense to be honest. We need a left shot puck mover on the back end.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:34 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Agreed.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I disagree that Petry's defense is terrible more worried about his offense to be honest. We need a left shot puck mover on the back end.
In order of really horrible defensive cues, lapses i would (IMHO) put worst being Potter, then Whitney then Petry. We also have 6 goals against this season from players going to the net, making contact with dubnyk to the point he slides on the ice or gets pushed over... and the D pairings for the 3 that didnt involve Potter and Whitney were Petrys man.
We disagree for sure in what direction this team should go. Personally i would rather focus on getting the puck back and ending opponent pushes rather than getting ahead of myself and wishing for a puck mover who cant do anything without the puck. Bostons transition game is one of the best still and last i checked Boychuk is out there most of the time doing those transitions. Theres also this idea i have that my forwards shouldnt be wasting energy in their own zone so a defender who specializes in ...defense , his job, makes more sense to me.

I can see a homer thing going on though so its ok. If i ask the league members what they think of Boychuk its pretty consistent and well known. Stanley cup at 25 inutes a game kind of speaks volumes. playing 18 minutes for a 30th place team really doesnt.

not knocking you but fundamentally i get sick of hearing oiler fans thinking they need more offense and speed. it will get our guys in the IR and in draft lotto though. (a pet peeve of mine is using Hall to constantly gain the zone with speed when really with his speed i would try to always have him as the secondary forward coming in with speed and have Ebs or RNH as the primary targets for entry)

Last edited by oilinblood: 02-20-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Does it even matter? With a top six of Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Gags, Yak we don't need a guy to get 60 points he just needs to create space, win battles and have some finish.
So you're talking about Hartikaenen, then?

Moose Coleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
So you're talking about Hartikaenen, then?
No he has no finish or basic hockey skills. I was and still am hoping Hartikanen turns into that guy at some point.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
we need players that can move to puck up ice quickly and accurately, trading petry for boychuck is a step backwards, a huge step back actually.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
we need players that can move to puck up ice quickly and accurately, trading petry for boychuck is a step backwards, a huge step back actually.
when we manage to get the puck back let me know...until then it is irrelevant. i dont know if you are keeping up with the season but we are the worst 5 on 5 team in 14 years.
Getting the puck back quickly might...its just a theory of mine... maximize the top 6 forwards minutes??

Personally I know i preferred Petry and his upside to Gilbert (who was atrocious at D) because Petry got to the point where he was just as good and bad as Gilbert but less cost and more offensively creative. Id prefer to keep him AND get boychuk but minutes wise it would not make sense and i choose the better defender.

I, for one dont like cheering or a team thats a bunch of pushovers and yes the oilers are. One of the weakest teams ive seen since oilers of 07.

Last edited by oilinblood: 02-20-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
No he has no finish or basic hockey skills.
He owns the boards, creates space with his size and strength. Isn't that what you just said you wanted?

Honestly I don't know why people think guys who can play in the top six with size and a scoring touch are easy to come by.

Moose Coleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
And you keep stating Tambo is the one that's an idiot.
yeah a flip of 1sts and a 30th place team defender who isnt great at defending, and a prospect likely not to be needed. for a 1st (perhaps later --but as a GM thats my fault if my team sucks and gives the other team a huge difference in draft position), a contending teams top RHD and a guy who has been excellent in a 4th line role RW position (umm who is our guy for that again?) yup.

I totally understand that many people dont watch other teams religiously but the Oilers...they arent very good. Stats are there for proof. Its not some anomoly that they are the worst team 5 on 5 in more than a decade ... anyone can see the defense cant defend other than a few and Petry --as much as i do like him-- is not part of the solution going forward. if you think he can return a better RHD than pitch it but i dont see that and the guy that is being taxed because of that weak side D is Justin Schultz who should IMHO (as big of an idiot as you allude me to be) be sheltered at least to the point where we have 2 other NHL calibre RHDs in that top 6 and one of which takes the hard shutdown mminutes by the truck full as his specialty. But you know, im just an idiot as you said...lets get some more visnovskys and see where that gets us lol.

If you laugh because Boston wouldnt accept 30th place team assets for a top d on a contender... than yeah i can see boston fans up in arms but frankly i think its fair and Boston might not accept it because --they like to win and Boychuk is solid-- but its close in value IMHO.

Also if you honestly think teams circle the oilers on their calendar--iother than to get tickets if they are from the area- you are kidding yourself. Most teams are sleeping when they play us. Edmonton doesnt get teams up. Boston on the other hand...they are circled by every team in the league. If you dont think thats a big difference to quality of players ... clap clap i guess.

Im not too sure if Oiler board posters get this but players who have success and do their job and have a trck record of ...winning... are normally valued more than guys who get time to post his numbers on a borderline AHL team. If its not for the PP thats where we are.

Last edited by oilinblood: 02-20-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 11:11 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
He owns the boards, creates space with his size and strength. Isn't that what you just said you wanted?

Honestly I don't know why people think guys who can play in the top six with size and a scoring touch are easy to come by.
I also said "some finish" as in a guy who can get 30-45 points.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Pablo Aimar

To Jets: Eberle, Petry
To Oilers: Kane, Bogosian

Oilers might have to add. There the size and grit everyone is crying about.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
So basically it relies on hear-say for the rest of us.
yeah and Tambis track record.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post

Bogo>>>>Petry

Im pretty sure if you offered Gagner and Petry for Bogo they would say no. If i remember correctly that was the trade talk last year that got turned down. Kane for Eberle is really close but despite the physical advantage Kane brings id stick with eberle who is more professional and future leader (plus he scores sick goals).

Old
02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Bogo>>>>Petry
Eberle>Kane. Oilers can add to even things out. 2nd rounder or Teubert. Or they can throw in Hartikainen.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Soundwave

I'd try and get Winnipeg and New Jersey to think about dealing Bogosian or Larsson by dangling Hemsky/Gagner/and or Petry.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
if there was any lingering doubt that this team is too small, Tuesday night's game vrs. the Kings squashed it. the core of the Oilers (Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov) will never win because they are tooooooo smaaaaaall!!!!!

How did the Kings game confirm this? The Kings didnt score because they out muscled the Oilers or used their size to control the game they scored off of two plays where Oiler players failed to pick up the eventual goal scorer. It wouldnt have taken muscle or power on the part of the Oilers to prevent either goal just attention to detail. The Oilers were winning battles for the puck with speed, they were losing the puck when they made dumb plays.

They need to learn how to make smart plays and not overhandle the puck.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
tdfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post

Oilers might have to add what? An armed guard around the Oilers offices? Ebs is untouchable, end of story.

tdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
I think someone already pointed it out, but you just discribed Hartikanen. He's being doing that job all season and it hasn't really worked out. So why give up assets for a big guy with a name to not score goals? The reason is because the kids need to learn how to battle and go to the net for a greasy goal. Until that happens, we will squader around .500 with some great talent but no heart.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd try and get Winnipeg and New Jersey to think about dealing Bogosian or Larsson by dangling Hemsky/Gagner/and or Petry.
not many teams will take a second glance at anything involving those 3 players. Gagner has the most value of those 3 regardless of his season to this point. He is still young and interest is still there. It doesnt hurt that he is PPG and looking stronger but I dont think you get a BOGO or Larsson. Conversation doesnt even begin between the GMs.

If we want Bogo or Larsson you are talking one of the big 5. People need to see this team from the eyes of the rest of the league and teams that have obviously better players.

The Trade talk that got out last summer was Gagner +Petry for Bogo. Winnipeg hung up. Since then Bogo has solidified his place, Gagner has looked good, Petry usurped Gilbert and get him dealt. In the end Winnipeg still wouldnt answer. Bogo is more important and better than the combo.