HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Has Erik Cole already retired?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 08:59 PM
  #151
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
This thread is so full of fail it's not even funny. How about an ounce of common sense?
Pretty much. History says Cole is a notoriously slow starter, no reason to doubt history right now. He always comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Hope you are right. Meanwhile, he is floating and letting his teammates pick up for his mistakes and lack of effort.

We are fans. We will cheer him once again if he turns it around. Right now, he is a disgrace to the team who is working their ***** off.
I really wouldn't say he's floating, just that he's pressing to get an edge. Sort of reminds me of what Gomez did 2 years ago when his downhill slide started.

I know we're fans - it's just disappointing to see so many people boldly claim they're done with him/he's done, etc...some patience would be nice. We're winning without him making a big impact, just imagine what'll happen if he comes together as history suggests he will?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:00 PM
  #152
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Pretty much. History says Cole is a notoriously slow starter, no reason to doubt history right now. He always comes around.



I really wouldn't say he's floating, just that he's pressing to get an edge. Sort of reminds me of what Gomez did 2 years ago when his downhill slide started.

I know we're fans - it's just disappointing to see so many people boldly claim they're done with him/he's done, etc...some patience would be nice. We're winning without him making a big impact, just imagine what'll happen if he comes together as history suggests he will?
Hope you are correct.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
  #153
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
So we should be happy if Cole plays well for basically half a season this year? Yes, he usually has slow starts, but we're now over a month into this season.

1/3 of the season is in the books. What are you seeing in his play that suggests it will magically turn around?
1/3 of a shortened season, let's be a little fair here, not make it look worse than it already is.

What am I seeing? I'm not going to lie to you - I'm not seeing a whole lot of one of my favourite players right now, let alone much of what he did last season. There's some flashes here and there but nothing really.

I hope he steps it up. We need him to.

And I'm not saying you should be happy. Nobody should be. I'm pretty sure he isn't.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
  #154
Slackers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
wonder if he can be healthy scratch when gallagher comes back

Slackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:07 PM
  #155
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,691
vCash: 500
Cole is starting slow... but will finish strong.

No need to kick him so much.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:59 AM
  #156
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,058
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackers View Post
wonder if he can be healthy scratch when gallagher comes back
I was just about to post something like this.

It's gonna suck for someone, probably Eller/White once Gally is ready to come back because I really doubt Therrien would bench Cole. But IMO, it is Cole who should be the one sitting based on effort and play.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:10 AM
  #157
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
You HAVE to sit Armstrong when Gallagher comes back. You just have. I mean, geez, White takes one of the most important faceoff in the game, a team that sucks in faceoffs....how the heck do you sit him?

For me, Armstrong is a total waste of spot and a GREAT candidate for #13.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:14 AM
  #158
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,058
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You HAVE to sit Armstrong when Gallagher comes back. You just have. I mean, geez, White takes one of the most important faceoff in the game, a team that sucks in faceoffs....how the heck do you sit him?

For me, Armstrong is a total waste of spot and a GREAT candidate for #13.
Okay, say MT sits Armstrong. Who plays on the 4th line? Eller doesn't deserve to go down there. Prust doesn't deserve to go down there.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:28 AM
  #159
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Okay, say MT sits Armstrong. Who plays on the 4th line? Eller doesn't deserve to go down there. Prust doesn't deserve to go down there.
Do they deserve to play? If I'm them, I'd be satisfied to be playing. Besides, they will get each their time on the PK and some time on the PP. The guy I would most definately REMOVE from the PP is Gionta. So play 1 of the 2 on the 4th, but give them time elsewhere.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:31 AM
  #160
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al
 
JusticeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Charlottetown
Country: Canada
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
If our bottom 6 is Eller, Galchenyuk, Prust, Gallagher, White, and Moen, I have no problem with how ice time is distributed around those guys. Some will get more than others with PP and PK time as mentioned, but that is solid depth.

Are some more deserving of a promotion than others? Absolutely. I'm sure mickey T will make the adjustments like most games. It seems our 2nd and 3rd lines are hovering around similar ice times.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:36 AM
  #161
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
The 1st thing that Therrien should do is remove Cole from the pp cause it's not working lately with him on it. Give the ice time to Galchenyuk with DD and Pacioretty

And as far as he has always been a slow starter its now a 1/3 of the season and the problem is that he has been negative about this since the NHLPA and the NHL reached an agreement!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
  #162
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,954
vCash: 597
I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves trying to look at the lineup with Gallagher and how Cole would be affected. As soon as Gally's declared ''healthy'', he should spend another week on the sidelines to be safe.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
  #163
Gally11
Registered User
 
Gally11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
What really frustrates me about Cole's play is if he's not going to contribute offensively he can't be as weak as he was on that Rangers goal last night.. Just watched them pass, take a shot, rebound and score.. Zero effort the entire time.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:42 AM
  #164
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
What really frustrates me about Cole's play is if he's not going to contribute offensively he can't be as weak as he was on that Rangers goal last night.. Just watched them pass, take a shot, rebound and score.. Zero effort the entire time.
Couldn't believe my eyes as that goal got scored...Cole surely will hear about it from MT...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
  #165
Habster33
In Habs we trust!
 
Habster33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
On the NYR goal last night, WTF was Cole doing?? Mark the guy that's in front of you instead of just watching him geez!!!

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:36 AM
  #166
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,584
vCash: 500
At least he's been trying recently.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:43 AM
  #167
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
At least he's been trying recently.
I dunno, the vibe I get from him is that he's just out of shape. The lockout has not been kind to him. He gets these spurts of vintage Cole, but he spends stretches just gliding and he doesn't have the same edge he had the last couple of years.

He's a notorious slow starter and I feel like he let his training slip a little during the lockout when he was enjoying spending time with the family. Can't say I've seen enough to conclude its anything more serious than that.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:45 AM
  #168
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
I dunno, the vibe I get from him is that he's just out of shape. The lockout has not been kind to him. He gets these spurts of vintage Cole, but he spends stretches just gliding and he doesn't have the same edge he had the last couple of years.

He's a notorious slow starter and I feel like he let his training slip a little during the lockout when he was enjoying spending time with the family. Can't say I've seen enough to conclude its anything more serious than that.
Definitly look out of shape but what i'm saying is that lately he's been trying to create things offensively. There was a few sifts last night with Max and DD where they were playing pretty well.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:52 AM
  #169
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,621
vCash: 500
So many fails, so many non-sense in this thread, it's unreal how bipolar we are. Not only that, I just can't understand how someone can have this much rage against a person who's supposed to be playing a game, it's a freaking game!

Cole could become the most useless hockey player ever, but c'mon, a bit of respect here! Hopefully he'll pick it up and play good again.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
  #170
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
I dunno, the vibe I get from him is that he's just out of shape. The lockout has not been kind to him. He gets these spurts of vintage Cole, but he spends stretches just gliding and he doesn't have the same edge he had the last couple of years.

He's a notorious slow starter and I feel like he let his training slip a little during the lockout when he was enjoying spending time with the family. Can't say I've seen enough to conclude its anything more serious than that.
It's not necessarily letting his training slip, it's also starting the season with no preseason. Budaj is a perfect example, he struggled(and got little help) the first 2 starts then finds his groove. Cole is a slow starter to begin with then you take away preseason, makes it even worse. The guys doing well for us right now are mostly guys that have played in Europe, AHL or Junior.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
  #171
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
The thing that concerns me the most about Cole, is that I'm not seeing
the speed that used to make him effective. Everything else could change
from one game to the next.How quickly a player ages, and at what age, are
extremely individual. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but it's
looking possible.
As to him being a slow starter. I don't think that is true. It happened
the first year in Montreal, but one time isn't a trend.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
  #172
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
The thing that concerns me the most about Cole, is that I'm not seeing
the speed that used to make him effective. Everything else could change
from one game to the next.How quickly a player ages, and at what age, are
extremely individual. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but it's
looking possible.
As to him being a slow starter. I don't think that is true. It happened
the first year in Montreal, but one time isn't a trend.
It is a trend with him, they showed a chart of the last 5 years in a recent game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
  #173
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Okay, say MT sits Armstrong. Who plays on the 4th line? Eller doesn't deserve to go down there. Prust doesn't deserve to go down there.
That is an easy answer.

Does Moen or White need someone watching their backs?

Or do the "future of the franchise players" need someone watching their backs?

Not difficult at all when you couch it in reality.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:55 PM
  #174
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Pretty much. History says Cole is a notoriously slow starter, no reason to doubt history right now. He always comes around.
One day, he'll stop SLOW STARTING and start SLOW OVERALL. Again, it might absolutely mean nothing, but a guy who thinks to retire cannot have the same desire than the ones not envisioning it. Cole talked with his heart when he said that. When he tried to say that after meeting the guys and playing under Therrien that he didn't think about that anymore, that was more recuperating than anything else. A player like Cole who played hard all of his life with the injuries he had, it has to mean that he will probably retire earlier than others. And the day will happen when on any given year....the slow start will equal to a slow overall season.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:11 AM
  #175
LaTenderness
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One day, he'll stop SLOW STARTING and start SLOW OVERALL. Again, it might absolutely mean nothing, but a guy who thinks to retire cannot have the same desire than the ones not envisioning it. Cole talked with his heart when he said that. When he tried to say that after meeting the guys and playing under Therrien that he didn't think about that anymore, that was more recuperating than anything else. A player like Cole who played hard all of his life with the injuries he had, it has to mean that he will probably retire earlier than others. And the day will happen when on any given year....the slow start will equal to a slow overall season.
I agree the guys attitude sucks almost as bad as his play. He looks like a real piece of **** out there.

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.