HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Overachieving, The Real Deal or Easy Schedule?

View Poll Results: How would you explain the recent success?
Over-Achieving 41 19.16%
Easy Schedule 28 13.08%
The Real Deal 55 25.70%
All of the Above 90 42.06%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Pacioretty
this season 12 gp 11pts pace 75pts in 82 games
last season 79gp 65pts pace 67 pts in 82 games

Max Pacioretty MTL L 12 2 9 11
Max Pacioretty MTL L 79 33 32 65
My bad, for some reason I thought DD was our leading scorer.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Some teams have games in hand on us by the by. We're not THAT good but we're playing very well, just be happy with what we got and circle the dates against the division rivals - that's adversity.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GalHabsGal

all the above !!!

Don't forget that we don't have the same team as last year:
- Bourque is a new player
- Markov is back
- We have 2 new young gun (AGally and BGally)
Just that, is 4 new players in the roster!

and
- Diaz is doing very well
- Eller is playing like he should
- and the new toughest

GalHabsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I hope we get to experience that this season
I see what you did there.

good job, sir. Good job.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Rutabaga

-The team wasnt worthy of the 15th place last year, which completely distort a lot of judgements. The same core of players was good enough for 44 wins and 6th place in 2010-11.

-No major injuries. We've seen last year what those could do to a team.
-We've scored first on 12/16 games. That obviously helps.
-Poor adversity. Not for the schedule in particular, but seriously, Buffalo is terrible, Ottawa is destroyed by injuries.
The SE division is a mess and the Islanders are still not able to overcome their problems.
Which means that at worst, you're basically sure, even if you're not playing that well, to be in contention for 7th or 8th.

The funny part is that i feel that these results have been acquired despite Therrien's questionable decisions.
There is still quite a few facts that are really frustrating me because that team could still play better than this. Or at the very least make a better use of his personnel.
Right now, they have some luck, but once they'll lose 3 in a row, we know how the vultures will come back.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I hope we get to experience that this season
That'd be quite something.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:22 AM
bipolarhabfan

I will take this hot start. I think we are close to be being the real deal. Just need a bit more consistency from some of our top-6.

I think the biggest difference from last year is that we have a team with a high compete level. There are few, if any, floaters. Prust and the Gally's have provided a much needed does of work ethic. And, we have a surprisingly good defense that does not give the oppositions much.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:30 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Thread title sums up the this thread. Is the team really this good, are they just peaking at the moment or is the easy schedule really the reason why they have a good record?

I hate polls, but I added one anyway.
Oddly, I think the Isles game Thursday will be an indicator. This is exactly the sort of game the Habs have been losing the last, well, forever.

They have every excuse to slack off, and get beat by a hungry, developing but pretty poor young team.

The thing is, I think Habs are now a hungry young team too.

I'm beginning to think that that we have suffered from 'age' the last few years. Youth kills it now in the NHL.

We need to kill the Isles dead. Must kill them. If we drop that game, I am not on the 'real deal' wagon just yet.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Our lineup is much better than last years. Our first line has stayed the same. Our second line has Gionta and Bourque, that are healthy. The third line is 3 new players with the Gallys and Prust, who have shown that have chemistry and can be responsible defensively. Our fourth line is ok, Eller and Moen would not be on the 4th line last year, since we had players like Dumont, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Staubitz, Blunden.

I'm not sold on us being the #1 team in the east, but we have come a long way from being #15. I'd say we finish between 4th-8th place to make the playoffs.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Madevilz

Overachieving because Habs are not a 1st place team.
We also have a hard time beating our division rivals so no, not the real deal. 6-8th position team by the end of the season imo.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Don't overestimate other teams. Who exactly are all the powerhouse teams the Habs have been avoiding?
Forget the west. Worry about the east first. Lewt's look at it:

1. Boston is better than we are. Hate to say it, but they are.The ****ers.
2. ****sburgh is better than we are, how could they not be? Christ Crosby Malkin.
3. Rags will get MUCH better the next 16 games. Bet on it.
4. Jersey I just hate, but somehow they do it. Brodeur is an alien cyborg.
5. Philly. I don't know what the hell is going on, except my sister might improve the D for them at the moment. Still, I expect them to wake up and improve.

After that, this team is showing that they will compete with every other eastern club. 6-8 finish is very possible in this short season. 82 game season, not sure.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Saku

We're slightly overachieving but not by a lot. Realistically we're not the best team in the east but at the same time everything webt wrong last year, we're surely not a last place team either.

If we think about it, Markov return, Bourque's transformation, The Gally's emergence and both Diaz and Emelin huge improvement all contribute to the fact that we're a playoffs contender again.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

All of my theories are debunked by the fact the team appears to be getting stronger as the season progresses. I am "real deal" if the deal calls for 4th place, I've conceded first in the division to Boston.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Lshap

This "Easy Schedule" thing is a bit of a false argument. Since when was beating Washington, Philly, NYR, Buffalo, Tampa, NJ considered 'easy'?

It's being called 'easy' because we're playing better than they are. If we were a worse team, those teams would've beat us and been that much higher in the standings.

For a bad team looking up at the standings, most matchups are hard; for a good team looking down at the standings, most matchups are easy.

I'm not saying we'll end up being the best team in the EC, but we will win many more games than last year, and those wins will come at the expense of other teams, whose rankings get worse as ours gets better.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:50 AM
bib
#believe

Said it even after our opening game loss.

Real deal.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
This "Easy Schedule" thing is a bit of a false argument. Since when was beating Washington, Philly, NYR, Buffalo, Tampa, NJ considered 'easy'?
Since the start of the season. 4 of those teams are out of the top8, Washington being LAST in the league and Buffalo being 13th. Tampa is barely hanging on, NJ being the only real threat.

Some of them will get better as the season goes on, but right now their start is just awful and are losing games a lot more than they are winning, so yes the "Easy Schedule" thing is legit.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Forget the west. Worry about the east first. Lewt's look at it:

1. Boston is better than we are. Hate to say it, but they are.The ****ers.
2. ****sburgh is better than we are, how could they not be? Christ Crosby Malkin.
3. Rags will get MUCH better the next 16 games. Bet on it.
4. Jersey I just hate, but somehow they do it. Brodeur is an alien cyborg.
5. Philly. I don't know what the hell is going on, except my sister might improve the D for them at the moment. Still, I expect them to wake up and improve.

After that, this team is showing that they will compete with every other eastern club. 6-8 finish is very possible in this short season. 82 game season, not sure.
See this is what I mean by overestimating teams, these teams all have problems too.
-Boston is a tough team for sure with offensive depth, grit and a solid D, although they will have trouble unless they can get their PP together. Also I'm not sold on Rask as a full time goalie.
-Pens obviously are a solid team and will be a playoff favourite although I think the Habs match up well against them.
-Rangers sure have potential for upside but teams can't afford to wait to get it together in a short season. They really should have beat the CH last night they had every advantage and they couldn't do much.
-Jersey is another strong team but the Habs have beaten them showing they can compete with top teams.
-Flyers are a mess please you can't list them as a strong team right now.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:06 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
I would say all of them.

I think we should be around 5th-8th place, but an easy schedule and a hot streak has taken us all the way up to the 1st place.
I expected improvement with Eller and Bourque better , a healthy Gio and Markov
plus Prust has made a huge difference on the ice with grit

plus with Gally boys giving us a great effort , we had to improve but first place
totally unexpected

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Erik Estrada

Some other teams' fans are suggesting we're on some type of magical ride and the spell would soon wear out... I don't mind. I'll enjoy every moment of this while it lasts.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
ryanwb

F Boston. Why does everyone just assume that they are better than this team? Because they are big bullies and can hit a lot? It very well could have been this team winning the Cup 2 years ago. They might certainly be better, but the two teams take similarly different approach to the same endpoint. They both walk a fine line between winning and losing any given game, because they rely on good goaltending and depth of scoring. I for one, would argue that they are both built not just for success during the regular season, but the playoffs as well.

What are usually the biggest determining factors in advancing in the playoffs? Depth of scoring and good goaltending, right? Both of these teams have excellent goaltenders, and finally we can boast having a comparable amount of depth. Sure we may not win every game, but over a 7 game series, the law of averages will take over, and this team will win more than it loses. Any given night we have 3 lines that can put the puck in the net, and a goaltender who doesn't give up too many at the other end.

This is going to be one heck of a season. Real deal.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Erik Estrada

Someone needs to photoshop sticks instead of oars on the "Flying Canoe''.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Our Canadiens are 2-4-1 vs the NE and they played most of their games at homes. I am pleasantly surprised but I remain cautious. I like our depth and mix of players upfront and, in net, Price is... Price. However, we still have one of the smallest D squad in the league.

I almost forgot: Therrien

I voted “All of the above” but I don’t think they are “Overachieving”; as IWalkThroughWalls mentioned, some of our key players are actually underachieving.

Heck... I know the following will sound weird but I think this team is one big, experienced and tough top 4 D away from being a legit contender. That said, finding one sure isn’t an easy thing to do so I am willing to wait for Tinordi!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:16 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

With the exception of a few games, this team is hard to play against. They have been somewhat fortunate in some games to get the points, but that's what hard work does for you. I think their record is better than anyone expected, so unless they sustain it throughout the season, I would call it over achieving. If they do it all year, then yes, they are the real deal.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Nick Kypreos was asked what was the reason of the success of Leafs? And he said a lot of team spirit and a new philosophy but more than anything he said there are a lot of teams in trouble in the East. And i'll put this in there that's a big reason of the success of the Habs too. There hasn't been a lot of big dominating win where you can say "wow the Habs are better than the other team". Against Tampa it was unconvincing, against Florida we were all like "boy they look like a Jacques Martin team". Same with the game against the Rangers, they play lousy, the other team play lousy too and we get lucky with a win. Games against Buffalo and Philly you felt like playing with kids in kinder garden cause of how much these teams lacked spirit, like they are completly shell shocked.

To me our only great performance was against the Canes(esp. the first two periods), where the guys went all out, they played well offensively and defensively, they were strong on the body, the D was supporting the offense and sure Ward had two weak goals, but before this it was really him who kept the Canes in the games, Habs were much better at every levels.

I just hope the style of play we used against the Rangers, it's not Therrien going all Jacques Martin on us.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:45 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
it's so hard to gauge without [...] western conference
Exactly. We are winless against the Western Conference. We have also FAILED more than once per week since the season began. That is a terribly frequent occurence. FIVE times we were humiliated, one of which was in a shootout, the other four times the humiliation mercifully lasted only sixty minutes.

If not for the games where we scored more than our opponents, our winning percentage would be ZERO.

Another way of looking at it is this, which since we are in Montreal, is the only way of looking at things: how are we doing against Toronto? Again, this points to a season with a ZERO winning percentage.

Even if we look at the individual games, what we see is a disaster. The Habs are only able to score on a minority of their shots. Most of the time, the effort fails. In fact, in almost every game, believe it or not, these masters of futility have registered more icings than goals scored!!!!! That is pitiful.

Defensively, things are no better. Game after game, the opponents have been able to shoot on our net at least 17 times, sometimes over 30! And that is without counting the times they chose to shoot the puck at one of our defenders. How much longer can we go on scoring just three goals per game while allowing an average of 25 shots against?????

Also, whatever limited success the club has is clearly the result of cheating. Not only have the officials penalized the club DOZENS of times, but according to the opposing team coaches, there were even additional infractions that went unnoticed. And, the truth be told, at least two of our goals this year were close to being offside, and several others were the result of the opposing goaltender missing the shot. We can't keep counting on such luck.

All in all, I am very pessimistic about this season. The only thing that gives me hope is that at the moment, we are still managing to be ahead of fourteen other teams, and they may not all have enough time to catch up to the points that the league has awarded to us up until now.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 02-20-2013 at 11:11 AM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote