HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Dany Heatley

Old
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Dany Heatley

How does history remember Dany Heatley? He came into the league near the end of the pre-lockout, dead puck era, set the league on fire with his offensive production and looked to be a franchise cornerstone for an emerging Atlanta Thrashers club (before young players like Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Staal, etc. took their rebuilding clubs to championship runs) and looked to be destined to be one of the NHL greats.

Then there was the Dan Snyder incident, the trade to Ottawa, the very big offensive years, and a near Stanley Cup, before another controversial departure to San Jose and a gradual slide into obscurity.

How does history remember this guy? Was he a compiler with better numbers and CV than he deserved? As one of the bigger disappointments? Are there any suitable historic comparables?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How does history remember this guy?
As one of the most selfish, self-absorbed players in the history of the sport.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Maybe the crash did something to him but he's good with fans, better than many others of his stature.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That doesn't sound like Dany Heatley to me.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
unknown33

Quote:
Why?
Everyone of us would try to get the best conditions, enviroment, satisfaction and payment for a job and when a professional athlete does this he is labeled as selfish?

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Sticks and Pucks

A talented scorer who couldn't win.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Big Phil

A player who could have been one of the all-time greats but made poor decisions and yes, did appear to have a "me first" attitude. I am impressed with Heatley way back in his first World Junior. He just seemed to have that knack of finding the right spots and a relentless approach to scoring goals. His 2002-'03 season is where he exploded and I remember the following year taking him #1 overall in a hockey pool I was in. I had offers that far outweighed any production he might get but I didn't care, I thought he was going to be special. One week later he gets in that car crash that claimed Snyder's life.

You know, I didn't blame him for wanting out of Atlanta and starting fresh in Ottawa. He really looked like he was on the straight and narrow to the HHOF. Then my opinion changed of him in 2009 when he wanted out of Ottawa and went to San Jose for a short period of time. I thought to myself that this was a pretty lucky guy, he causes a car accident that kills his teammate, the family shows him plenty of mercy and automatically forgives him no questions asked and he has a chance to start fresh in Ottawa and he wears his welcome out.

Then goes to San Jose, does little in the postseason for them (and people complain about Thornton) and looks to just basically have a steady decline in no man's land in Minnesota. With the shot that he had I always figured he could end up like Brett Hull, but that isn't even close now. I don't have a favourable opinion of him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
I have heard the same

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

Heately's career path kind of reminds me of Jonathon Cheechoo...

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMcFatty View Post
Heately's career path kind of reminds me of Jonathon Cheechoo...
Uhhh Heatley was actually THE GUY back when he was in Atlanta. I do not recall any time in Cheechoo's career where he was THE GUY on the team.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
I have heard the same
There was something outlandish about him i have seldom, if ever seen in a hockey player. I took it as self confidence, self expressiveness and perhaps restlessness and creativeness, maybe that can fit in somewhere.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 02-19-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: More thinking
Old
02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
tjcurrie

Heckuva talent. I think players sometimes underestimate how much dedication it takes year in and year out to maintain a high level. That's why you gotta give extra credit for guys who can remain consistent for so long.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Uhhh Heatley was actually THE GUY back when he was in Atlanta. I do not recall any time in Cheechoo's career where he was THE GUY on the team.
Plus Heatley is still playing in the NHL.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
OrrNumber4

Heatley had just enough quickness to be able to use his lethal shot. As soon as his quickness went away, so did his goal-scoring.

I used to like him, especially because he was a goal-scorer who could pass the puck really well; just a multi-talented offensive threat. It seems like as soon as he got his huge contract, he just coasted, losing that quickness...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Well said. Very lazy and one dimensional player as well. He's very fortunate to have been able to coast on the coattails of Jason Spezza and Daniel Alfredsson for four seasons. His arrogance is what I remember most.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Well said. Very lazy and one dimensional player as well. He's very fortunate to have been able to coast on the coattails of Jason Spezza and Daniel Alfredsson for four seasons. His arrogance is what I remember most.
I dont think that's fair concerning the coasting. From 2005/06 to 2008/09 the three had virtually the same PPG and Heatleys superior goal versus assist ratio puts him on top amongst them scoringwise. They obviously gained at least as much of the chemistry from him. I'm not necessarily saying he was better than Alfredsson overall, but offensively HE was the best.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I dont think that's fair concerning the coasting. From 2005/06 to 2008/09 the three had virtually the same PPG and Heatleys superior goal versus assist ratio puts him on top amongst them scoringwise. They obviously gained at least as much of the chemistry from him. I'm not necessarily saying he was better than Alfredsson overall, but offensively HE was the best.
My point was that Spezza and Alfredsson did most of the dirty work. Heatley was and is a floater who needs to play with superior players. He had plenty of size and talent but he never used it to win puck battles.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
My point was that Spezza and Alfredsson did most of the dirty work. Heatley was and is a floater who needs to play with superior players. He had plenty of size and talent but he never used it to win puck battles.
What do you mean superior talents, do you think that was the case when he was in Atlanta as well? This is a guy that represented Canada on many occations and did very well. Three times best forward in the World Championships, two times MVP and multiple scoring leads there. Sometimes he had Spezza there as well, outproducing him.
But i see you're from Ottawa so i reccon there might be some sour grapes present.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:52 AM
begbeee

I think he will be remembered the same way as guys like:
Brian Bellows
Tony Amonte
Steve Larmer

This list has nothing to do with their style of play or their character. It's just territory of my memory where I expect to line up Heatley.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:59 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

A really good goal scorer during his prime. He's probably lost in the shuffle now in Minnesota.

02-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
Why?
Everyone of us would try to get the best conditions, enviroment, satisfaction and payment for a job and when a professional athlete does this he is labeled as selfish?
How many other players have demanded an outright release from one team, then instead of that were dealt to pretty much their hand-picked destination, then demanded a trade from said destination and used a no-trade clause to force the trade to be made with the newest hand-picked destination (and thereby decreased the player's trade value)?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:36 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

He'll always be an all-star.

RockemSockemProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:21 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
i think the lazy, floaty heatley emerged after he lost so much of his mobility due to the car accident. i don't have clear memories of atlanta-era heatley other than his 4 goal all-star game, but i do remember he was thought of as a high character player. i wonder whether that was because he was a big strong canadian guy with some grit, or whether that was really who he was.

i will say, though, that i understand why he would have wanted to leave atlanta. leaving ottawa and then refusing the edmonton trade was less defensible. but i think the best thing for him mentally might have been to stay in atlanta, and slava kozlov, who'd been through a very similar situation as a youngster in russia, was doing everything he could to help heatley through the tragedy.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:49 AM
unknown33

Quote:
How many other players have demanded an outright release from one team, then instead of that were dealt to pretty much their hand-picked destination, then demanded a trade from said destination and used a no-trade clause to force the trade to be made with the newest hand-picked destination (and thereby decreased the player's trade value)?
Seems like Dany is a smart man who tries to change something when he is dislikes the situation.

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
Seems like Dany is a smart man who tries to change something when he is dislikes the situation.
Which is great if you are not his fan, teammate, coach or GM.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote