HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Toronto-Colorado (yes o'reilly)

Old
02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

vCash: 500
Seriously guys? I thought we were being serious and had all just assumed that playing in Russia had made Ryan forget how to hockey in North America.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Badger Mayhew*

Why can't it just be Gardiner+ for O'Reilly again?

Badger Mayhew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Because you hurt our feelings. Things are never going to be the same.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Rielly is off the table in just about any scenario. It would be like you guys dealing Duchene. Just wouldn't make sense. The kids gonna be dynamite.
I live in the GTA and the Leafs are my 2nd favourite team with the Avs my first. What pisses me off about Leafs fans and their talk radio is how they constantly think they're going to land any big piece that becomes available but they never wanna offer anything. You want a potential first line centre? Bite the bullet and trade a ****ing asset for him. If a team like the Kings can trade the most well-rated already drafted prospect in the NHL at the time...Brayden Schenn for Mike Richards then you can trade Morgan Reilly who's not even in the top 5. Mike Richards was a near cup winner....so? Ryan O'Reilly's trajectory of performance is just as good and he was better last season than Richards. Leafs fans are the cheapest group I've seen. Their mgmt under Burke followed this too. He had the oppurtunity to trade for top 6 centres but they never had the balls to move a piece to do this. Guess what Leafs fans, adding Morgan Reilly who MIGHT become a no2 dman will not help your team out more than adding a player who's already played like a 1a centre. I shudder to think what they'd lowball if Getzlaf or Perry became available for trade.

Had to put up with this crap all summer.....we want a starting goalie but derp we don't wanna trade anyone who's good or might be good for us in the future.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Off topic, but I started watching Breakind Bad a couple weeks ago, and am almost done season 2 and I can't believe how many boardies have names attached to the show.

Badger Mayhew, there's a Saul Goodman on the Leafs board... and Heisenberg on the Pacers board I visit, etc. Crazy.

Anyways....

I agree, Gardiner + a little something for ROR seems like it makes the most sense. Avs fans aren't probably enamored with Gardiner right now because he's not playing but that kid is a gem, he's a 40 point D-man who logs 25 minutes FOR SURE. He's young and cheap and could potentially be a 1st pairing guy (maybe not a true #1 but a solid #2/3 type on the better-than-Brad-Stuart-mold). Not sure why Avs fans wouldn't want that. Again, I'm positive it's because Gardiner isn't playing right now so he's not some shiny prospect excelling in front of their eyes at this point.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:00 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I live in the GTA and the Leafs are my 2nd favourite team with the Avs my first. What pisses me off about Leafs fans and their talk radio is how they constantly think they're going to land any big piece that becomes available but they never wanna offer anything. You want a potential first line centre? Bite the bullet and trade a ****ing asset for him. If a team like the Kings can trade the most well-rated already drafted prospect in the NHL at the time...Brayden Schenn for Mike Richards then you can trade Morgan Reilly who's not even in the top 5. Mike Richards was a near cup winner....so? Ryan O'Reilly's trajectory of performance is just as good and he was better last season than Richards. Leafs fans are the cheapest group I've seen. Their mgmt under Burke followed this too. He had the oppurtunity to trade for top 6 centres but they never had the balls to move a piece to do this. Guess what Leafs fans, adding Morgan Reilly who MIGHT become a no2 dman will not help your team out more than adding a player who's already played like a 1a centre. I shudder to think what they'd lowball if Getzlaf or Perry became available for trade.

Had to put up with this crap all summer.....we want a starting goalie but derp we don't wanna trade anyone who's good or might be good for us in the future.

See, I don't get people like you.

You're telling us to trade our top prospects.

And when we DO (ala Rask, two 1sts for Kessel, Boyes+ for Nolan, etc) you shiat on us for always dealing our prospects and youngsters and not building properly.

It's a can't win with guys like you! (for arguments sake) As soon as we move Morgan Rielly and he develops into a 50 point dman, and ROR develops into a 40 point #2/3 center, then you stomp on us how we're so stupid for always trading our top picks/prospects, etc.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:03 AM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Good and fair proposal but no. We just got rid of Liles for being old with no future on the team we wouldn't want him back older with a longer contract. Bozak is an expiring UFA and doesn't fill a big need, scoring wingers, and frankly I think we could get better. Leaning too much on quantity to get over the fact that bozak will be the key piece. Gardiner, JVR, or Kadri would be the key piece, which means RoR isn't going to Toronto.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:03 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
:
At this point us Avs fans take very few of you seriously(same can be said all around the league actually), we mock and troll you guys so we can laugh at the fact that you actually think your trades are good.
Ohhhhhhh noooo you are mocking Leaf fans.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Don't look at us, you might see our tears!

Don't flex your e-muscles too much, you might sprain your pinky.

Ironically, everybody else is laughing at the Colorado Avalanche. Not the fans, but the team. Sad sad state of affairs.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

Ironically, everybody else is laughing at the Colorado Avalanche. Not the fans, but the team. Sad sad state of affairs.
Ignoring the fact I have seen that same guy make us look bad numerous times around here, I'd love to hear the logical explanation that the Avs are in a worse state of affairs than the Leafs for instance.

When Lando/EJ get healthy and we make a decision with O'Reilly (retaining him or trading him for good value) we should once again be back to our usual promising selves that are underachieving due to our crappy coach.

Get this team a new coach, a #2/3 dman and our stars unconcussed and we're legitimate playoff contenders. It's amazing we're even competing right now with this godawful roster, yet we've won 2 out of 3.

The Avs are far from being in the gutter, but we appreciate your concern and will understand your envy if we add another young star to an already young, potential-laden team.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iracundia View Post
i counter with:

F - Ryan O'Reilly

D - Jake Gardiner
F - Tyler Biggs
P - 1st Round Draft Choice

There is no ROR deal with Tor without one of Gardiner/Rielly coming back.
That is an insane overpayment. I don't even have a stake in this as my teams are Van and Tampa.

Toronto may as well offer sheet him for the money and term that Colorado doesn't want to give him and sacrifice a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and then move Gardiner to another team for picks.

I think most unbiased posters on here will acknowledge that Gardiner's value is at least a first rd pick, more likely significantly more. It would turn it into a trade of Gardiner + a 2nd for ROR. Which frankly is more along fair value.

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTampaFan View Post
That is an insane overpayment. I don't even have a stake in this as my teams are Van and Tampa.

Toronto may as well offer sheet him for the money and term that Colorado doesn't want to give him and sacrifice a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and then move Gardiner to another team for picks.

I think most unbiased posters on here will acknowledge that Gardiner's value is at least a first rd pick, more likely significantly more. It would turn it into a trade of Gardiner + a 2nd for ROR. Which frankly is more along fair value.
From someone who personally knows and talks to ROR (not me someone on our board) O'Reilly will not sign an offer sheet. Unless you offer $8M per a year its just not going to happen so can we stop with the offer sheet stuff already.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

Laugh away, but since the Avs moved to Colorado, they have a better record, more playoff appearances, and more Cups than Toronto. Since the previous lockout, its 3 playoff appearances to none.
While the team may be looking poor recently, it has not looked poor for as long as some other teams.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
broc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

And when we DO (ala Rask, two 1sts for Kessel, Boyes+ for Nolan, etc) you shiat on us for always dealing our prospects and youngsters and not building properly.

It's a can't win with guys like you! (for arguments sake) As soon as we move Morgan Rielly and he develops into a 50 point dman, and ROR develops into a 40 point #2/3 center, then you stomp on us how we're so stupid for always trading our top picks/prospects, etc.
Yep, dudes like this will complain no matter what happens. Toronto is just starting for their young guys to be legit players, so let's sweep the carpet up from underneath them and trade em away.

I bet this guy hated the CLiff Fletcher "draft schmaft" era.

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

No that's not it at all. Imo, the Leafs don't even have to trade for O'Reilly. And I wouldn't have traded for Luongo either. As for Kessel, what they paid should've been protected but different story.

My point is that if you aren't gonna trade then fine but if you are then don't expect to be able to pull it off with spare pieces. It happened once with Dion Phaneuf because Sutter was a moron GM but it doesn't work when trying to get that centre. You have to either put up or shut up. I hate hearing about how we'll acquire so and so and then the media gets excited and is basically pencilling in Luongo or whichever other star into the line-up only to see it doesn't happen. Don't get me started on the free agency thing with Richards and co and how Burke's principles never let him pay for that talent.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:37 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
And ROR is a potential #1C if he's not there already.
If Gardiner and Rielly are off the table from the Leafs, then ROR is off the table, plain and simple.

Some Leafs fans are still struggling to understand that in order to get a player of significant value, you have to give up something of significant value. Pieces like Percy/Blacker/Bozak/2nd/etc are not significant value.
As to the part I've bolded, apparently Sherman doesn't agree with your assessment because if he felt that way, Ryan O'Reilly would already have been signed by now.

The simple truth is that the Leafs are NOT replete with high-end talent and cannot afford to give up their best prospects/young players, unlike other teams. The Leafs also have no reason to give up Rielly and Gardiner because they represent the future top defensive pair for the Leafs.

The Leafs also don't need to make a trade in order to acquire a potential #1 center when the chance to draft one this summer for free is a very good possibility.

As for trading quality for quality, I have no problem with that. The Leafs just aren't in a position to do that kind of a deal right now, unless they're trading away guys like Kessel and Phaneuf (which they don't seem willing to do at this point).

So, at the end of the day, you guys can keep your rotting Ryan O'Reilly, and we will keep our nicely developing defence prospects. It's probably for the best anyway.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
As to the part I've bolded, apparently Sherman doesn't agree with your assessment because if he felt that way, Ryan O'Reilly would already have been signed by now.

The simple truth is that the Leafs are NOT replete with high-end talent and cannot afford to give up their best prospects/young players, unlike other teams. The Leafs also have no reason to give up Rielly and Gardiner because they represent the future top defensive pair for the Leafs.

The Leafs also don't need to make a trade in order to acquire a potential #1 center when the chance to draft one this summer for free is a very good possibility.

As for trading quality for quality, I have no problem with that. The Leafs just aren't in a position to do that kind of a deal right now, unless they're trading away guys like Kessel and Phaneuf (which they don't seem willing to do at this point).

So, at the end of the day, you guys can keep your rotting Ryan O'Reilly, and we will keep our nicely developing defence prospects. It's probably for the best anyway.
the problem was not feeling he wasn't top center material, the problem is that ROR is FORCING his way to top center material. Which makes it harder on the franchise because:

1) Stastny would have to be traded either before or after Ryan signs a new deal.
2) Stastny has ties to this franchies (father and uncle)
3) ROR is basically giving an ultimatum to the Avs before they could make that decision themselves.

Giroux and JVR were the reasons Richards and Carter were shipped out but not because they demanded it; because they were cheaper and producing. ROR is producing but not making it cheaper (Giroux is 3.75 mil cap, ROR is asking for 5 mil)

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
the problem was not feeling he wasn't top center material, the problem is that ROR is FORCING his way to top center material. Which makes it harder on the franchise because:

1) Stastny would have to be traded either before or after Ryan signs a new deal.
3) ROR is basically giving an ultimatum to the Avs before they could make that decision themselves.

Giroux and JVR were the reasons Richards and Carter were shipped out but not because they demanded it; because they were cheaper and producing. ROR is producing but not making it cheaper (Giroux is 3.75 mil cap, ROR is asking for 5 mil)
Richards and Carter was traded because they where not professional enough and did not respect the ring.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Atomos2
WE ARE ABLE 340

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post

You do not get to the first base with a beautiful girl by inviting her to a Mcdonald on your first date.

Samething with Sherman, if you want ROR, pay the price.
Then we don't want ROR.

Simple as that.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:21 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Top 5 two-way center in the league along with the bidding war that's going on right now expect to see a massive overpayment for the guy, sorry it's just the way it is.
If he is worth that kind of payment then Colorado should have no issue paying him the money he is asking for.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Bozak
Liles
Stuart Percy
2nd

For

O'Reilly
Brad Malone
I would even drop the requirement for Brad Malone to be included in the deal and would offer the Avs the "Rights for Brian Burke". At least he was smart enough not to bite on Avs fans' Stastny proposals last year, ie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Kulemin + 1st 2012 is the starting offer Toronto should be making if they want Staz, and it won't stop there.
That kind of deal would have set the Leafs back another 5 years.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
I would even drop the requirement for Brad Malone to be included in the deal and would offer the Avs the "Rights for Brian Burke". At least he was smart enough not to bite on Avs fans' Stastny proposals last year, ie:

That kind of deal would have set the Leafs back another 5 years.
Except you would not still be trying to unload your pending UFA, a waning Dman we already traded away, and some prospects/picks for a Colorado Center.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
sd1976

Quote:
And ROR is a potential #1C if he's not there already.
Um... No his isnt. He will be a legit #2 but we already have 2 of those.

sd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post

3) ROR is basically giving an ultimatum to the Avs before they could make that decision themselves. )
Well, whatever the reasoning is, the fact remains that the Leafs simply can't afford to continue going backwards anymore (which is exactly what would happen if they were to trade multple high-end assets for one player who may or may not even sign with the Leafs), so it looks like a no-go from a Leaf perspective.

But that's okay.. the Leafs can try their luck at this summer's draft.

Last edited by EucaLEAFtys: 02-20-2013 at 01:59 PM.
EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
canucksPK

It has to be Gardiner if I'm avs gm.

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I live in the GTA and the Leafs are my 2nd favourite team with the Avs my first. What pisses me off about Leafs fans and their talk radio is how they constantly think they're going to land any big piece that becomes available but they never wanna offer anything.
Your listening to talk radio and expecting a fair depiction of a fan base of millions?

Quote:
You want a potential first line centre? Bite the bullet and trade a ****ing asset for him. If a team like the Kings can trade the most well-rated already drafted prospect in the NHL at the time...Brayden Schenn for Mike Richards then you can trade Morgan Reilly who's not even in the top 5. Mike Richards was a near cup winner....so? Ryan O'Reilly's trajectory of performance is just as good and he was better last season than Richards. Leafs fans are the cheapest group I've seen. Their mgmt under Burke followed this too. He had the oppurtunity to trade for top 6 centres but they never had the balls to move a piece to do this. Guess what Leafs fans, adding Morgan Reilly who MIGHT become a no2 dman will not help your team out more than adding a player who's already played like a 1a centre. I shudder to think what they'd lowball if Getzlaf or Perry became available for trade.
We would be willing to trade assets for a first line centre, if one were available.

RoR is NOT a number one centre. He is NOT Mike Richards. He has the potential to become like Mike Richards, he the potential to be that first line pivot, but at the moment he is a player with one good season under his belt.

Asking for Morgan Rielly is just asinine, absurd, even stupid. Brayden Schenn was not immediately considered a top 5 prospect upon being drafted 5th overall, which by the way, was exactly where Rielly was selected. He ascended to those heights as he continued to develop in the Kings farm system. Rielly has all the tools to be a legitimate number 1 defenseman in this league. He is simply not being traded.

Quote:
Indeed, "derp"

It was explained hundreds, even thousands, of times on this board why nobody wanted to shell out serious assets for a goaltender like Luongo. I don't feel the need to repeat it.

Last edited by htpwn: 02-20-2013 at 03:29 PM.
htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote