HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets scouts an issue.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Monahan has been compared to Toews , although I don't really agree. I also really don't like the "lite" comparisons overall. just too easy , a default , and how lite?

Monahan certainly looks like he would appeal to the Jets , he doesn't skate particularly well , although that seems to be something TNSE will live with if the other traits are strong enough. He's had a tough year, brutal team , the suspension , being cut from the WJC team . He is a late birthdate , so he is more physically mature and it has been said he has a chance to play in the NHL next year , we'll see.

He may be pushed down due to the level of talent this draft and that could very well be to where the Jets select.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Lorenzo1000

Interesting ideas but really ridiculous revisionist view of history. I think that the picks were mostly reasonable and in some cases very good. Honestly this is going to take some time to turn things around...patience is a virtue.

Lorenzo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
sting13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsTrueNorth View Post
It appears as though last year’s honeymoon season is over and reality has set in. Our “Winnipeg Jets” are simply the “Atlanta Thrashers” playing in a better hockey market wearing nicer jerseys. Last year we saw the odd glimpse of a good team mixed in with some sloppy play and lazy legs. Nonetheless we were all so happy to have our Jets back (I’m still very happy)

The 2013 Winnipeg Jets seem to have taken a step back from last year. We lost a few pieces in the offseason and gained some new ones to replace them, but here we are ¼ of the way through the season and we just can’t seem to score.

I’m a big believer in building via the draft, but this can only be done if the proper scouting tools are in place. Cheveldayoff has proven that he can build a Stanley Cup champion (Chicago), but he did this with the Blackhawks scouting team. Chevy oversees a Jets scouting team that employs a large number of scouts from the franchises Atlanta Thrasher days.

During Atlanta’s time in the NHL, the team made the playoffs once in 11 seasons. 12 seasons if you want to include last year’s season as the Winnipeg Jets. One would think that a team missing the playoffs 10 times out of 11 would’ve built a decent roster via the draft. Pittsburgh did it, Anaheim did it, Chicago and Detroit did it. Edmonton is in the process of doing it. So why haven’t the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise done it? One has to look at the scouting/management of this franchise over those rough years in Atlanta. Many of those same people are still employed with our Jets.

Currently the Jets have 12 amateur scouts, 4 of which came from Atlanta (Tavis MacMillan, Fredrik Jax, Pat Carmichael, and Bob Owen). The remaining 8 amateur scouts are very junior in their careers with only 1 having some scouting experience in the NHL (Chris Snell with Tampa Bay).

The above amateur scouting team is managed by the Head Amateur Scout Mark Hillier who has been with the organization since 2003-04 (Atlanta days) and the Director of Amateur Scouting for our Jets is Marcel Comeau who has been with the organization since 2003 (Atlanta days).

Our Head Eurpoean Scout is Evgeny Bogdanovich who has been with the franchise since the 1999-00 season (Atlanta days).

We have 5 pro scouts for our Jets (2 of which are new to scouting in the NHL). Jack Birch and John Perpich are the Jets pro scouts with the most experience. Birch spent time scouting in Florida and Vancouver and coached in New York way back in the day. Perpich has been with the organization since 1999 (Atlanta days). The Jets also employ Bruce Southern as a pro scout. Bruce has a long resume in the MJHL, but nothing in the pro leagues.

Our director of pro scouting is Mark Dobson who has been with the organization since 1998 (Atlanta days).

Our current assistant general manager is Larry Simmons. Simmons held the position of Vice-President/Assistant General Manager of the Atlanta Thrashers in 2004 until they relocated to Winnipeg. Prior to this, Simmons had been employed by Atlanta since 1999 and directly involved in player personnel moves.

For those that are interested, here are the top 2 draft picks this organization has selected each year since their existence and some players that were missed by the scouts:

1999: 1) drafted Patrick Stefan (1st overall). Stefan never amounted to the hype, spent six seasons in the organization before disappearing off the face of the earth.

Could’ve had: Daniel Sedin (2nd overall), or Henrik Sedin (3rd overall)

**Of note, Atlanta traded with Vancouver to obtain the 1st pick used to select Stefan**

2) drafted Luke Sellars (30th overall). Sellars played 1 game and left for a European career.

2000: 1) drafted Dany Heatley (2nd overall). Heatley had 3 successful seasons with the Thashers before he was eventually traded to Ottawa in 2005 for Greg Devries and Marian Hossa.

** Of note, in 2008 Atlanta traded Hossa to Pittsburgh for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a 1st round pick in the 2008 draft. The pick turned out to be Daultan Leveille (29th overall).

Leveille never blossomed into an NHL player, Armstrong left Atlanta after 3 seasons and signed with Toronto. Christensen and Esposito were eventually traded by the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise in exchange for minor league players.

2) drafted Ilya Nikulin (31st overall), Nikulin never played pro hockey in North America.

Could’ve had: Nick Schultz (33rd overall), Tomas Kopecky (38th overall)

2001: 1) drafted Ilya Kovalchuk (1st overall). Kovalchuk had 8 successful seasons with Atlanta before he was traded to New Jersey for Johhny Oduya, Nick Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and New Jerseys 1st round pick in 2010. The draft pick eventually was dealt to Chicago when Byfuglien was acquired. Oduya was traded last season by the team for 2 picks (2nd & 3rd round). Bergfors spent 2 seasons with Atlanta before being dealt to Florida. Cormier is currently playing for the Jets farm team.

2) drafted Michael Garnett (80th overall). Garnett played 24 games in the NHL and eventually landed in the KHL.

2002: 1) drafted Kari Lehtonen (2nd overall). Lehtonen played 4 seasons with Atlanta before they traded him to Dallas for Ivan Vishnevskiy and a 4th round pick which turned out to be Ivan Telegin.

Could’ve had: Jay Bouwmeester (3rd overall), Scottie Upshall (3rd overall) or Alexander Semin (13th overall).

**Of note, Ivan Vishnevskiy was traded to Chicago for Andrew Ladd

2) drafted Jim Slater (30th overall)

Could’ve had: Duncan Keith (54th overall), or Juri Hudler (58th overall)

**Of note, Atlanta promised Florida that they wouldn’t select Bouwmeester with their pick in exchange for 2 late round selections which turned out to be 2 journeymen players.

2003: 1) drafted Brayden Coburn (8th overall). Coburn played 2 seasons with Atlanta registering 5 points before being traded to Philadelphia in 2007 for 35 year old Alexi Zhitnik. Zhitnik registered 22 points in 2 seasons with Atlanta before departing for the KHL.

Could’ve had: Dion Phaneuf (9th overall), Jeff Carter (11th overall), Brent Seabrook (14th overall), Zach Parise (17th overall), Ryan Getzlaf (19th overall), Ryan Kesler (23rd overall), Mike Richards 14th overall) or Corey Perry (28th overall).

**Of note, Coburn is in his 5th season with Philadelphia and recorded his best career season in 2007-08 with 36 points.

2) drafted Jimmy Sharrow (110th overall). Sharrow left for a Dutch league after just one short season with Atlanta.

2004: 1) drafted Boris Valabik (10th overall). Valabik played 3 seasons with Atlanta registering a total of 7 points before leaving for a Czech league.

Could’ve had: Drew Stafford (13th overall), Travis Zajac (20th overall), Cory Schneider (26th overall) or Mike Green (29th overall).

2) drafted Grant Lewis (40th overall). Lewis has been an AHL/KHL player only thus far.

Could’ve had: David Booth (53rd overall), Brandon Dubinsky (60th overall), or David Krejci (63rd overall)

2005: 1) drafted Alex Bourret (16th overall). Bourret has not developed into an NHL player. Bourret has played in the AHL, CHL and KHL only.

Could’ve had: TJ Oshie (24th overall) or James Neal (33rd overall)

2) drafted Ondrej Pavelec (41st overall)

2006: 1) drafted Bryan Little (12th overall). Little is on the current Jets roster.

Could’ve had: Michael Grabner (14th overall) or Claude Giroux 22nd overall)

2) drafted Riley Holzaptel (43rd overall). Holzaptel has been an average AHL’er at best.

Could’ve had: Milan Lucic (50th overall)

2007: 1) drafted Spencer Machacek (67th overall). Machacek currently plays for the Jets farm team.

The 2007 draft was not deep with talent in the later rounds and the Atlanta Thrashers dealt their 1st round pick to St. Louis to obtain 35 year old Keith Tkachuk. The pick traded for Tkachuk ended up being the 24th overall and Atlanta missed out on the following players: David Perron (26th overall), and PK Subban (43rd). Tkachuk played 18 games for Atlanta registering 15 points before being traded back to St. Louis for a conditional 4th round pick in 2008.

2) drafted Niclas Lucenius (115th overall). Lucenius has not played pro hockey in North America.

Could’ve had: Jamie Benn (129th overall)

2008: 1) drafted Zach Bogosian (3rd overall). Bogosian is on the current Jets roster.

2) drafted Daultan Leveille (29th overall). Not offered a contract by the Jets, and is currently Montreal Canadiens property.

2009: 1) drafted Evander Kane (4th overall). Kane is on the current Jets roster.

2) drafted Karl Klingberg (34th overall). Klingberg currently plays for the Jets farm team.

2010: 1) drafted Alex Burmistrov (8th overall). Burmistrov is on the current Jets roster.

Other available players: Mikael Granlund (9th overall), Vlad Tarasenko (16th overall)

2) drafted Julian Melchiori (87th overall). Melchiori currently plays for the Jets farm team.

2011: 1) drafted Mark Scheifele (7th overall). Scheifele is finishing juniors.

Other available players: Sean Couturier (8th overall), Dougie Hamilton (9th overall).

2012:
1) drafted Jakob Trouba (9th overall). Trouba is still playing university hockey.

2) drafted Lukas Sutter (39th overall). Sutter is still playing juniors.

After breaking down the franchises draft history it’s clear to say the team hasn’t drafted well at all. Even more troubling are some of the trades that were made. It’s true that many other teams have missed out on some great talent, but with all the high picks this franchise received over the years, there’s little to show for it today.

2007 was the only year that the franchise did not have a 1st round selection (making their 1st pick 67th overall). The franchise has had 11 first round picks which have come in the top 10 selections of their respected draft year. The franchise has selected in the top 5, in six different years.

With the amount of top picks our team has had over the franchises 13 seasons, we should be further along than we are.

The above information wouldn’t be so worrisome if the Jets scouting team was a whole new regime. For the most part, the people that built the Thrashers are still deeply rooted in the development of the Winnipeg Jets.

It’s true that Cheveldayoff gets the last say, but a GM is usually only as good as his staff below him.

After sitting down and researching this information, I don’t have much faith in the current Jets scouting/player personnel staff. The team should have an abundance of talent and be in a position to trade really good players for missing pieces to the puzzle. The team should be a playoff contender by now.

The jury is still out on the Scheifele selection and many other current 1st/2nd round selections currently playing on the Jets roster. I’m not counting these guys out, but time is ticking.

We didn’t address our scoring needs in the offseason and 1 of our 3 prized off season acquisitions has already been traded away just a ¼ of the way through the season (Ponikarovsky).

The Jets need a shakeup, but I don’t think it should take place at the player/coach level. It’s time to really look at our amateur and pro scouts if we want to be a contender some day.

I don't where you do your research but your wrong.

Bruce Southern worked for the Manitoba Moose of the AHL and was both a scout
and Assistant Coach of the first Winnipeg Jets before they moved to Phoenix.
He has been scouting for decades.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:29 PM
sting13

Here is a good read about scouting players. A mention about Pro scouting.
Nice article.

His word is gold -- scout's honour
Bruce Southern collects 'information' for the Moose, and he's very good at it
By: Randy Turner
Posted: 05/30/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
0 0 REDDIT0 TUMBLR0 29 PRINT E–MAIL
Guy walks into a hockey rink looking for information on the local team's centreman.
Word on the street is the kid likes to party. But the coach says the player is flying right. A regular choirboy.
So the guy finds a lady wearing a team jacket. Thinks: Billet. And he's right.
Turns out, she's actually the billet of the player in question.
So the guy asks, "What's he like?"
The lady replies: "He's a complete @#$#$. All he does is tell me to feed him and take care of his bed. He sneaks out till one, two in the morning all the time."
The guy says, "But the coach is telling people (the player) has cleaned up his act."
The billet lady says. "He's full of @#$#$#@."
The guy gets up, politely, and says, "Thank you. That's all I need to know."
Meet Bruce Southern: Professional hockey scout.
"ö "ö "ö
"I can get that anywhere I go," Southern is saying now. "I've got connections in Springfield, in the booster club. I'll talk to anybody. I'm an information collector. That's what I do."
Southern is the kind of guy who loves to listen. He loves to talk, too.
Maybe that's because the Moose director of player development spends so much time alone, on the road, bird dogging in college arenas, East Coast Hockey League outposts and the AHL. Southern has a file on every player in three leagues. He's got hundreds of folders, reports on each game he's scouted since rejoining the club a few years back.
You see, the Moose might be on the cusp of their first championship, but if the face of the team is veteran Mike Keane or head coach Scott Arniel or GM Craig Heisinger, then Southern is the feet.
You don't see him. He's largely anonymous. So you forget that Southern was once an assistant coach with the Jets back in the day. You forget he coached the Winnipeg Warriors, the junior team that originally signed Keane by accident. Or that Southern, a hockey fixture in Manitoba the last four decades, has found players over the years for the Red Wings, the Sharks, the Jets, the Wild and the Senators.
But without Southern and others like him beating the hockey bushes, the Moose wouldn't have such a sterling record when it comes to finding the Alex Burrows, the Jason Jaffrays and the Guillaume Desbiens of the world, just to name a few.
"The biggest thing I'm proud of is we haven't brought in too many players who have failed," Southern said. "That's a lot to do with me trying to recognize what the coach wants, what kind of guy will fit in. Because if we bring a guy in here and pay him a lot of money and he fails because I didn't do my homework...
"I'm not going to sit here and say I found this guy and I found that guy. I'm not into that," he added. "If I say that, then it gives somebody the right to say, 'Yeah, but you recommended this guy and he was horse@#$@#.' "
Does Southern travel much? Well, he's got a million Marriott points.
Where does that take you?
"Anywhere you want to go," Southern replied. "But my wife (Susan) doesn't like to fly."
Turns out, Southern does a lot of driving, too. All through the East Coast. Then off to Vegas to cruise the ECHL's western wing. Trips are usually seven-to-10 days. Southern will put about 1,400 kilometres on a rental car. That works out to about 15-20 games a month.
It's all by design, and Heisinger's meticulous organizational skills. The GM scouts, too, along with part-time scouts spread across the country who file biweekly reports. Jim Norgate covers the OHL and NCAA games out east. Steve Dowhy looks after the WHL. Bill LaForge scouts the WHL and Canada West university hockey. Bruce Okrainec looks after the OHL, the International League and some ECHL games. Doug Sheppard scours the QMJHL and Canadian colleges on the east coast.
So it's not as though the Moose -- who, for example, had over 50 players wear the uniform last year due to a string of injuries and call-ups to Vancouver -- are left scrambling. The dog hasn't ate the homework.
Take late season call-up Matt Pope. The kid comes in and produces right away. In the playoffs, to boot.
Well, Pope was on the Moose's radar all the way back to October, when he was toiling in Bakersfield in the ECHL.
"First trip this year," Southern said. "I told Zinger, 'We should keep an eye on him.' "
So they did. And when Pope's name finally made it to the top of the team's many lists -- all broken down in categories such as "tough guy," "energy guy," "scorer," etc. -- the call went out. And Pope didn't disappoint.
"The players are the lifeline of your team and if you don't have that, you have nothing," Heisinger reasoned. "We would not have had the success that we've had as an organization without guys like Bruce and those other guys. It would just be impossible for one or two guys to see all the players. And even if you did, your opinions on guys would be too one-dimensional.
"As much as we count on Vancouver draft picks... it's important that we augment those players with our guys."
Indeed, former Moose Alex Burrows had a breakout year with the Canucks last season. Feisty forward Rick Rypien just signed a contract extension in Vancouver. The former was found by the Moose in the ECHL. That latter was undrafted, right out of the Dub.
It doesn't really matter who gets the credit for "finding them." The Moose organization found them. Sometimes, it's luck. Often, it's years of experience at work. Always, it's plenty of legwork.
And every once in a while it happens purely by accident.
"This was an absolute true story," Southern begins, of a minor hockey game played in Winnipeg over two decades ago.
Southern was head coach of the Winnipeg Warriors at the time. He came to scout a game, but it was the wrong two teams. Southern stayed anyway.
Out came this hard-nosed speedster, a smaller guy, wearing a Rangers jersey. Man, the kid was energetic, Southern recalled. Tough.
Immediately after the game, Southern put the player on the Warriors protected list.
His name was Mike Keane.
"ö "ö "ö
These days, Southern has been tasked to pre-scout the Hershey Bears, the only team standing between the Moose and the franchise's first Calder Cup. It's as close as Southern has been to a championship, outside of minor hockey back in the day.
"It's special for me because you have to remember I grew up here," he said. "I coached the Warriors, I was with the Moose. I was with the Jets. It makes it a lot more special."
Southern's job: To put a book together on the Bears; the team's tendencies, players strengths and weaknesses, what different systems Hershey employs.
Every little scrap of information Southern can dredge up. And like Southern said, he'll talk to anybody.
He's an information collector, remember?
True story. A guy from Winnipeg goes to a playoff game last week in Providence to see the Bruins play the Bears.
The fan in front of him is wearing a Cam Neely Bruins jersey.
The guy from Winnipeg says, "You a Cam Neely fan?"
The two men get to talking. The fan says, "Actually, I'm here because my buddy's on the Hershey team."
The Winnipeg guy smiles and says, "Oh, really. What type of guy is he, anyway?"
randy.turner@freepress.mb.ca
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 30, 2009 D6

Old
02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
I guess most of the people crapping on Chevy weren't fans of the IHL/AHL Moose. His teams were always great with the Chicago Wolves. Even when the bulk of the team was built with garbage from Atlanta. The guy knows how to build a team, obviously there is a lot less flexibility in the NHL with long-term contracts etc, but I'll give him a chance to draft and develop based on what I've seen him build in the past.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

yeah, i dont really get the idea that chevy gets a free pass to do nothing but draft for the next however many years.....

we have a bunch of second/third round picks this year, but what are the odds that even one of them becomes an NHL player, never mind a good NHL player?.....pretty low.

I agree that we need to establish a good drafting record, but that can not be the only way forward....that is a very long term strategy and is more about establishing a culture for the future...how long do we wait until it is acceptable to believe that chevy should be trying to make the team better for the current season and not some distant future year?.....can we not expect that he do both?

i also dont buy that he has nothing to trade....i believe that enstrom and kane, both good players could be traded for more than their value to the team.....chevy has options to make the team better.....if he wanted to.

in a year and a half, he hasn't instilled me with confidence......his player acquisition is generally taking fliers on waiver players, hoping something sticks....i have HUGE doubt that scheifele will ever be a top 6 player in the NHL.....i just don't see what skill set he has to make him that.....we signed a goalie who let in the most goals in the NHL last season (191 - 30 more goals than the 4th worst goalie to put it in perspective) to a long term, high value contract....his back up is practically the only goalie in the league who had worse statistics last season.

in my opinion they need a 35 year old hard nosed, north american player to run the dressing room......they simply do not have that...its a problem.

i'm not willing to call for his head just yet...and the sky isn't falling, but personally, I don't believe its too early to begin formulating an opinion on his body of work....if this team ends up tanking by the end of the year, i will expect some major moves.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 02-19-2013 at 10:50 PM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
tgo0

Certainly not the best ever, but FAR from the worst. It seems a majority of the 1st round picks have been good picks, the return they got for TRADING a lot of them not so good...

Since 2008 the drafts have all looked solid (I'm not a Schiefele fan AT ALL so I don't like that pick but that hasn't played out yet so hopefully I"M the one who's wrong)

tgo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
yeah, i dont really get the idea that chevy gets a free pass to do nothing but draft for the next however many years.....

we have a bunch of second/third round picks this year, but what are the odds that even one of them becomes an NHL player, never mind a good NHL player?.....pretty low.

I agree that we need to establish a good drafting record, but that can not be the only way forward....that is a very long term strategy and is more about establishing a culture for the future...how long do we wait until it is acceptable to believe that chevy should be trying to make the team better for the current season and not some distant future year?.....can we not expect that he do both?

i also dont buy that he has nothing to trade....i believe that enstrom and kane, both good players could be traded for more than their value to the team.....chevy has options to make the team better.....if he wanted to.

in a year and a half, he hasn't instilled me with confidence......his player acquisition is generally taking fliers on waiver players, hoping something sticks....i have HUGE doubt that scheifele will ever be a top 6 player in the NHL.....i just don't see what skill set he has to make him that.....we signed a goalie who let in the most goals in the NHL last season (191 - 30 more goals than the 4th worst goalie to put it in perspective) to a long term, high value contract....his back up is practically the only goalie in the league who had worse statistics last season.

in my opinion they need a 35 year old hard nosed, north american player to run the dressing room......they simply do not have that...its a problem.

i'm not willing to call for his head just yet...and the sky isn't falling, but personally, I don't believe its too early to begin formulating an opinion on his body of work....if this team ends up tanking by the end of the year, i will expect some major moves.
How many?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=659301

Not as doom and gloom as you might think.
2nd round 200 NHL games 28.6%
3rd " 23.3%

Adam Lowry looks like he might be the real deal drafted @ 3rd (67th overall) hit 40 goals
Scott Kosmachuk @ 3rd (70th overall) just hit 30 goals

Quote:
i have HUGE doubt that scheifele will ever be a top 6 player in the NHL.....i just don't see what skill set he has to make him that.....
He is on a tear down there in case you missed it...currently one a 2PPG pace if I am not mistaken, including a 6 point game hattrick and 3 helpers.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post

Re; first statement in bold - Chevy has stated 10 if not 20 times publicly this year alone that he is looking and open to improving the team both today and in the future. He has also said he would be willing to trade those draft picks for players if the deal is right. This isn't a video game where you can just submit trades until they happen. Nor is it a fantasy hockey pool where you can just make moves. You're on the same song and dance you were last season when you were saying the same things, yet there were very little to no trades made league-wide that were worth much of a sniff. Same goes for this year.

Re; second statement in bold - Agree with you, 100%. If we don't see some consistent, positive turn around here from the core we currently have, then I will surely be hoping Chevy either lands us a real good UFA to fill a hole and/or makes a good hockey trade to change things up.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 02-20-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
JetsTrueNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
I don't where you do your research but your wrong.

Bruce Southern worked for the Manitoba Moose of the AHL and was both a scout
and Assistant Coach of the first Winnipeg Jets before they moved to Phoenix.
He has been scouting for decades.
I just read a few articles on our current scouts and couldn't find anything on Southern as a scout in the pro leagues. I guess he made a big impact with the Jets as no one talks about him being there????

And we all know just how great the old Jets were at scouting?????

JetsTrueNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I just read a few articles on our current scouts and couldn't find anything on Southern as a scout in the pro leagues. I guess he made a big impact with the Jets as no one talks about him being there????

don't know what his role of assistant coach has to do with anything. He's responsible for Alex burrows.

that's all i need to know.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
sting13

Quote:

How many scouts are talked about? Especially before the internet existed.
Seriously Bruce Southern is a well respected hard working hockey man.

How many people talked about Perry Pearn when he was the Jets 1.0?
Assistant Coaches and scouts rarely get talked about.
No one talks about Russian National Coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov who was
a Coach with the Jets for two years. He has won KHL championships, World
Championships and considered one of the better coaches in hockey.

Just because you don't read many articles, doesn't mean guys like Southern
and others aren't valuable scouts or hockey men.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Whom ever made this thread is ill advised on Bruce Southern. Mjhl experience and thats it? I grew up good friends with his son. Bruce was assistant coach with the Jets many moons away and has scouted for Detroit, Ottawa, San Jose not to mention he was the director of player personnel with the moose forever.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:23 PM
pcanuck

The term "scout" is not universally defined. Some do more work than others. For some it's a part time job and others, it's simply consulting. I have done several scouting tours for two NCAA college hockey teams (who I am affiliated with) and just refer certain players to them but I don't get paid (nor should I). In my case, after a referral, they send their own talent/ development people in to do the rest of an assessment. So every scout is valued differently.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote