HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

So Really, Why Is the CEC So Quiet?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:43 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
The thing with CEC crowds is that I think as the years go on, the crowds will get louder because the fans who grew up watching the early 90's Pens will make up less of the ticket base, and I think the younger fans will start moving in.

It may not be true, but in my experience, the newer fans who just started coming to games in the last 10 years are typically your fans who are more vocal, where the ones who have been fans since the early 90's are the ones who sit and take the game in.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:10 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I already reached my snark quota for this thread, but another thing:

For me personally it's a fine line between loud, intense crowd and a bunch of morons who just make the game worse.

You've got the guy directly in front of you (who always seems to be 6' 5" and wearing a hat) that scoots forward to the very edge of his seat every time a Penguin gains the blue line. I sit in 224 with a diagonal view and I pretty much don't see one quarter of the ice when this happens. Anything happening in the near corner I pretty much just have to see who pops out from behind the guy in front of me's head with the puck.

A phenomenon I hate that seemed to start in the new arena for whatever reason, is a ton of people standing up every time ANYTHING happens. Seriously, I miss stuff because I'm not constantly on my toes wondering when I'm going to have to stand up next. I probably miss 50% of breakaways because everyone stands up. The breakaway Crosby had at home this year (Devils???) I actually didn't even see him shoot. I couldn't stand up then juke around the person in front of me to see what was happening in time, so all I saw was the puck scooting into the net. Sit the **** down unless a goal is scored or a huge, I mean HUGE sequence occurs and the whistle is blown. You're not being a good fan you're just being an inconsiderate moron.

Lastly, and I know it's like this a lot of places, but CEC attendees must be trying to set a record for number of times they can get up in the middle of a period. I know I know, not everyone is like myself and a lot of you: They don't care to see every second of play. That's fine, but at CEC it's closer to a Steelers atmosphere than a Mellon Arena atmosphere and that's not a good thing. Steeler fans routinely miss 1/4 of the game standing in the concourse, going to take a pee, or in line for food while the game is going on. I freakin hate that. If you want to get up a minute or two early in the period to beat the rush to the restroom/concessions or to leave early in a blowout that's your business, but it's out of control now. Some of the same people I've heard talk about being a "real fan" (not on this board) are the same people that do this stuff. They're the posers that all they want to do is go to work the next day and proclaim "Yep, I was at the game. Love the Pens." Eff them.

Some of this might tee people off but I get a little heated with this crowd noise topic so I felt like venting myself. If you are worried about the crowd noise though, buy a ticket and go to the game that's all I can really say. I don't know what the discussion is past that. If you're concerned about the noise go to a game and make noise.

EDIT: Slowly over time I keep revealing parts of my "Why CEC Sucks" thread I've been meaning to do for years. Oh well.....some day.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
PensFan6687

I will say this, the MTS Centre sounds a lot louder on TV vs. the CEC, and I am not sold on mic placement. I do agree with what others say. You get a much more reserved crowd near the glass vs. the higher you go up. Most of the noise at the MTS Centre comes from the upper bowl.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Shwag33

Guys isn't it obvious? You can't hear the crowd noise over steiggy and errey babbling on about a rotten tomato that was given to dupuis' son to use as a hockey puck.

Crowd is louder on NBC.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

So just out of curiosity, what is the solution that people who are upset about the lack of crowd noise are proposing? Ban the corporate tickets, older people, and families with little kids from buying tickets and sell only to college kids and "real fans," which would make the games louder but put them right back to the early 2000s in terms of being able to afford players? Who gets the final say on what constitutes a real fan? Is there a written evaluation?

I see a lot of crying about crowd noise but no real solutions. The Pens aren't going to decrease ticket prices and make them more affordable. They aren't going to set aside more than 200 seats a game for student rush, and they really don't even have to do that. At the end of the day, they're in it to make money.

ETA: It kind of chaps my ass when people complain about older people going to games and how quiet they are. Chances are some of those people were fans before you and I were born. They watched the team before Mario. They stuck around through bankruptcies, abysmal seasons, terrible ownership, relocation threats, etc. Who is anyone to give them **** about how they choose to watch a game?

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I see a lot of crying about crowd noise but no real solutions. The Pens aren't going to decrease ticket prices and make them more affordable. They aren't going to set aside more than 200 seats a game for student rush, and they really don't even have to do that. At the end of the day, they're in it to make money.
I talked to a Pitt student last year and for the Fri night Pen-Panther game and he said there were less than 30 tickets for student rush. A couple were sitting around us in section 108 all single seat tickets.

I don't know how true that is but I really do think that has something to do with it. I understand that they are there to make money etc especially come playoff time but putting a bunch of college kids in the upper deck might not be too bad.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
I talked to a Pitt student last year and for the Fri night Pen-Panther game and he said there were less than 30 tickets for student rush. A couple were sitting around us in section 108 all single seat tickets.

I don't know how true that is but I really do think that has something to do with it. I understand that they are there to make money etc especially come playoff time but putting a bunch of college kids in the upper deck might not be too bad.
Except that the upper deck is nearly full to capacity with STHs, who they aren't going to displace for student rushers. They capped the season ticket plans at something like 15,000 seats, all of whom are paying less than gate price for tickets. Then they have people on teh waiting list who buy multi-game packages at a discount. That only leaves them with ~2K tickets per game to sell at full gate price as it is, and that number is probably actually much lower. The fact that they're setting any of them for student rushers is pretty generous, even if it is a good move for marketing purposes.

I think the student rush program was/is great but when demand for tickets is higher, those cheap seats are going to be the first things to go.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
boardin087

Quote:
Except that the upper deck is nearly full to capacity with STHs, who they aren't going to displace for student rushers. They capped the season ticket plans at something like 15,000 seats, all of whom are paying less than gate price for tickets. Then they have people on teh waiting list who buy multi-game packages at a discount. That only leaves them with ~2K tickets per game to sell at full gate price as it is, and that number is probably actually much lower. The fact that they're setting aside even 200 of them for student rushers is pretty generous, even if it is a good move for marketing purposes.
The igloo was loud because the uppers were stacked much closer to the ice. Consol has much better accoustics. You dont want echos. Unfortunately for hockey this means less noise at ice level

boardin087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post

I'm not sure if that's a real solution though. You can't have a business and then for the sake of a bit of noise give up quite a bit of revenue per game.

I'm not real sure what the solution is. Maybe the team does designate an entire section of the the stands to just student rush? Maybe they raise the rush tickets from 20 bucks to 35 bucks, that way they are not giving up a ton of revenue in letting kids into the game. 35 dollars is still a hell of a deal to catch a contending team play. Lumping all the energy in one spot in the arena too would probably help the environment overall as all the chants and such would start from there.

This team started the student rush, and maybe it's time for them to take the program and revamp it. It still serves a purpose. It's a different purpose than 10 years ago, but it still serves one. You want to continue to grow the base of young fans because they are your future ticket holders some day.

And with this conversation of people talking about their experiences and how they don't particularly like sitting around people who are going ballistic at games, I can agree with that. I remember how me and my friends would get in the mid-2000's when we got liquored up and went to games. Myself today wouldn't want to sit anywhere near myself 7 years ago.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
The igloo was loud because the uppers were stacked much closer to the ice. Consol has much better accoustics. You dont want echos. Unfortunately for hockey this means less noise at ice level
Right. The acoustics in Mellon were different because the seats were pretty much on top of one another. Great for sound...very uncomfortable for games. You get up in the upper levels of Mellon, where I sat about 60 times in my life, if you go with 3 grown men, 2 have to lean forward and 1 has to lean back. That's the only way you're going to sit 3 across as the quarters are so incredibly cramped.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm not sure if that's a real solution though. You can't have a business and then for the sake of a bit of noise give up quite a bit of revenue per game.

I'm not real sure what the solution is. Maybe the team does designate an entire section of the the stands to just student rush? Maybe they raise the rush tickets from 20 bucks to 35 bucks, that way they are not giving up a ton of revenue in letting kids into the game. 35 dollars is still a hell of a deal to catch a contending team play. Lumping all the energy in one spot in the arena too would probably help the environment overall as all the chants and such would start from there.

This team started the student rush, and maybe it's time for them to take the program and revamp it. It still serves a purpose. It's a different purpose than 10 years ago, but it still serves one. You want to continue to grow the base of young fans because they are your future ticket holders some day.

And with this conversation of people talking about their experiences and how they don't particularly like sitting around people who are going ballistic at games, I can agree with that. I remember how me and my friends would get in the mid-2000's when we got liquored up and went to games. Myself today wouldn't want to sit anywhere near myself 7 years ago.
Then you run into the same problem - displacing STHs. As a STH I have no problem with student rush at all because I think the Pens give us a very generous discount, but I think if you start moving people from the seats they've paid for and have been sitting in for the last two seasons to accommodate student rushers who are getting tickets even cheaper you're going to get a lot of grumbling from STHs. And rightfully so, IMO. I like my seats and although I think the student rush program is great I'd be pretty pissed if I had to move because they randomly designated my section as the Student Rush Section.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Myself today wouldn't want to sit anywhere near myself 7 years ago.
When I was acting like that I saw nothing wrong with it. Now going to games I look at the kids and go dear god that kids annoying. Than I realize I was prob worse

Quote:
Then you run into the same problem - displacing STHs. As a STH I have no problem with student rush at all because I think the Pens give us a very generous discount, but I think if you start moving people from the seats they've paid for and have been sitting in for the last two seasons to accommodate student rushers who are getting tickets even cheaper you're going to get a lot of grumbling from STHs. And rightfully so, IMO. I like my seats and although I think the student rush program is great I'd be pretty pissed if I had to move because they randomly designated my section as the Student Rush Section.
Yeah I fully understand getting moved isn't fair and isn't the best solution. Especially if they put up a student rush section and it doesn't change the atmosphere. Do you than switch back to the old system and say here are your seats back?

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:16 PM
JTG

Quote:
Yeah, that is true. I guess if I were just thinking out loud if I were a marketing/sales/STH rep for the Pens, and it were deemed that setting aside a block of seats for student rushers were a good idea, you'd have to probably sacrifice even more revenue over the short term to get people to move...maybe discounting their season tickets for a year or two.

I don't know. It was a suggestion, and probably not a very good one on my part as the team giving up someone paying up front for tickets is as good as it gets.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Right. The acoustics in Mellon were different because the seats were pretty much on top of one another. Great for sound...very uncomfortable for games. You get up in the upper levels of Mellon, where I sat about 60 times in my life, if you go with 3 grown men, 2 have to lean forward and 1 has to lean back. That's the only way you're going to sit 3 across as the quarters are so incredibly cramped.
The Civic was also designed for sound to be heard in. Big difference.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
JimsDoors

I myself like it better with less crowd noise while watching on TV. I like hearing the puck hitting the tape on passes and shots. Plus hearing the hits along the boards.

Less crowd noise at the CEC doesn't automatically mean lesser interest from fans.

JimsDoors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Oops wrong thread.

Jacques G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Tweed

What about now?

Last edited by Tweed: 02-20-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Facepalm
Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
What about now?
Yep. Perfect timing to reveal that the notion that the CEC can't get rowdy is a myth.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
SirBrad

Place was loud tonight. Perhaps because WDVE was playing up this game all day getting Yinzer's riled up. Who knows. Definitely liked the energy tonight though.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:13 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Because I pay money to see a hockey game, not pretend I'm a JV cheerleader.

I cheer, I applaud, I scream. When it's deathly quiet (and it has been a few games during this 3-4 start at CEC), I sometimes will try to start a "Let's Go Pens" chant.

But mostly, I watch the game.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:15 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Was at the game tonight and it was loud in the third, probably the loudest all season. So, it -can- indeed get loud.

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
PittPenguin

I was at the game as well and it definitely was quite loud tonight. Did that come across on TV?

PittPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPenguin View Post
I was at the game as well and it definitely was quite loud tonight. Did that come across on TV?
I remember thinking back to this thread during the third period today, the crowd was definitely noticeably loud.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Even Glass thinks the home crowd is lacking

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2Lf6XoLlf

Quote:
"We have to get the crowd into it early," Glass said.

"It seems to be pretty quiet in there most nights, so I think we have to do a better job of having good starts and getting the crowd into it early and then having them sustain that energy for us."
I know it's a bit of a tired subject, but still. Hadn't heard any player comments on it really (in a negative way) until now.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
WarriorScholar

He's a bit of a talker eh

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote