HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth says watching Kings win Cup was 'tough to swallow'(Laugh at Ryan Smyth)

Old
02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Why are people torching this guy? He played hard for the Kings then his family decided they wanted to go back home. He asked to be traded and the Kings obliged. I think what Doughty did was worse.
As I said, it's one thing to ask for a trade, it's another to wait until a week before free agency and demand a trade and give DL a list of teams with one name on it he'd be willing to go to.

He should have came forward with this in March or so and gave DL a few months to sort out the issue with the Oilers. Now granted, it worked out in the end for us, but odds are we wouldn't have had to deal with the Brule trade, and then the Fraser trade after that deal fell through, only to deal with **** hitting the fan when Fraser turned out to be hurt as well.

If he'd handled it right, things could have been done a lot more calmly and not resulted in two teams likely seething at each other (though I'm not dismissing the fact Tambellini tried to screw us twice by shipping us injured players).

We were eliminated from the playoffs before the end of April and he pulled his demand off something like three days before the Entry Draft. That's *********.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
As an ignorant Swede I'd like to ask where the rough neighborhoods in LA are? I know of Compton and the stepmom in Fresh Price always threw a hissyfit whenever somebody went to "East LA" . If I remember right the rich people live in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and Bel air.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
As an ignorant Swede I'd like to ask where the rough neighborhoods in LA are? I know of Compton and the stepmom in Fresh Price always threw a hissyfit whenever somebody went to "East LA" . If I remember right the rich people live in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and Bel air.

The area between the 5, 710, and 105 is probably the worst(on the map as Maywood, Bell, Cudahy)

LA isn't like it used to be in the 80's and early 90's. The gangs toned it way down.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
The area between the 5, 710, and 105 is probably the worst(on the map as Maywood, Bell, Cudahy)

LA isn't like it used to be in the 80's and early 90's. The gangs toned it way down.
That is one thing I noticed when I was there for the finals last summer. I was honestly expecting gangs hanging out on corners and parks being mugging and crime centers. But it was no worse than any other big city. Friendly people for the most part. The couple of times I got lost walking around I stopped ask for directions and people were always accomadating. Never got asked for drugs or even spare change a single time I was there. Totally cool place to be unlike the cesspool that is Detroit. Only time I've felt legit scared for my life was walking around in Detroit. Constant people trying to get cash from you, they follow you for blocks after you pass by them. Constantly being offered drugs and even on e guy offering to show me where the finest stripclub in Detroit is if I gave him some money...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:32 PM
SLang

Personally I'd like to thank Smyth. He was one more stepping stone on the path that led to the Stanley Cup. No more, no less.

Don't know him, so don't care about anything else.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
there were some person issues why he wanted back to alberta that was not brought up in the media and that he has not discussed openly
Please elaborate, with credible links.

Otherwise, it didn't happen.

02-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Please elaborate, with credible links.

Otherwise, it didn't happen.
Seriously, why does it bother you so much when the Kings ended up winning the cup? What do you think the roster would have looked like last year had Smyth never asked for a trade?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Seriously, why does it bother you so much when the Kings ended up winning the cup? What do you think the roster would have looked like last year had Smyth never asked for a trade?
Would we have won the cup? Let's not forget the real reason we could afford Carter was because Gagne was on the LTIR, and as such we didn't have to worry about his cap hit. Gagne was only there because Smyth left, so it could be argued we wouldn't have won the cup with Smyth most definately, but it could also be argued we wouldn't have won without him either if Gagne had stayed healthy.

That's besides the point for me. The guy was an ass, and I'll ascribe my feelings towards him for what he did, not for what resulted from it. It's not like Smyth did that so we would win the cup. If anything, he likely knew the issue put DL in a difficult place and leave us with a lesser team, which on paper it did as Fraser does not equal Smyth, at least not at the time of the trade.

Basing my feelings for a guy for what resulted from how he screwed us makes no sense. If you had a daughter and her boyfriend left her on the side of the road 40 miles from home because she wouldn't give him a piece of tail, are you going to like the guy later because what he did led her to break up with him and find a much better guy? Or are you just going to acknowledge the fact the guy was a pompous ass who deserved to get his nuts roasted on a shishkabob?

Like I said, as a player, I think Ryan Smyth is awesome, and arguably the greatest example of what a player should be ideally (the real ideal would be a Mark Messier, but Smyth's a nice ideal as well). But overall, I think he's a very self-centred, me-first knob who has worried far more about the name on the back of the jersey than the crest on the front of it.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:59 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
What do you think the roster would have looked like last year had Smyth never asked for a trade?
The slowest roster in history.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
That is one thing I noticed when I was there for the finals last summer. I was honestly expecting gangs hanging out on corners and parks being mugging and crime centers. But it was no worse than any other big city. Friendly people for the most part. The couple of times I got lost walking around I stopped ask for directions and people were always accomadating. Never got asked for drugs or even spare change a single time I was there. Totally cool place to be unlike the cesspool that is Detroit. Only time I've felt legit scared for my life was walking around in Detroit. Constant people trying to get cash from you, they follow you for blocks after you pass by them. Constantly being offered drugs and even on e guy offering to show me where the finest stripclub in Detroit is if I gave him some money...
As a comparison, me and my friends were offered illegal substances within our first few minutes after getting off the Amsterdam central station And that turned out to be just the first of many such encounters in that area.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
The slowest roster in history.
Nah, Handzus left to join the Sharks...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

My fav picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smythsucks.jpg‎ (147.2 KB, 48 views)

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
My fav picture
Haha that's awesome.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:48 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Smyth also blocked the Calgary trade, don't forget that aspect of the ordeal.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Are there any current Kings players that DON'T live on the beach? How about some inland rich neighborhoods like Bel Air, Beverly Hills, and Brentwood? In LA, the more west you go, the better the neighborhood gets.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Are there any current Kings players that DON'T live on the beach? How about some inland rich neighborhoods like Bel Air, Beverly Hills, and Brentwood? In LA, the more west you go, the better the neighborhood gets.
I think proximity to teammates and TTC are a big factor. That being said, Penner lives in Newport

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
I think proximity to teammates and TTC are a big factor. That being said, Penner lives in Newport
I guess that's the house he lived in when he was with the _ucks. But man, that's a long drive to get to work everyday.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:23 PM
johnjm22

I have no ill feelings towards Smyth at all, and I wish him the best.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Isn't Smyth still on the Oilers?

If so, shouldn't this be in the around the league thread.

Just saying.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Isn't Smyth still on the Oilers?

If so, shouldn't this be in the around the league thread.

Just saying.
The thread is about Smyth's reaction to the Kings winning the cup. Seems pretty straightforward.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
The thread is about Smyth's reaction to the Kings winning the cup. Seems pretty straightforward.
Sure.

Like you said.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Sure does.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
How bizarre is this quote from Smyth today:

He said he was happy with his decision to return to Edmonton. “No regrets,” he said. “Obviously, you can’t live in the past. You can’t sit there and dwell on things. My family’s safe, and that’s the most important thing.”

Right... Manhattan Beach being the hub of crime and all.

What a bizarre comment to make. His family felt unsafe? Good grief.
They might only be safe in Edmonton

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Sure.

Like you said.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Sure does.
Hey, don't get mad because your thread got moved. This thread is a lot more interesting anyways.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:05 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Smyth also blocked the Calgary trade, don't forget that aspect of the ordeal.
Did it ever come out what we would have recieved from Calgary?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:15 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Hey, don't get mad because your thread got moved. This thread is a lot more interesting anyways.
The hacking hammer of righteousness has swung my way again. Ugh......

I was being sarcastic. Did I forget the thingy again?

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

See, I know when to use them some of the time.