HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

How many games for Hansen elbow on Hossa?

View Poll Results: How many games does Hansen get suspended?
0 games 85 49.42%
1-2 games 55 31.98%
3-4 games 19 11.05%
5-6 games 7 4.07%
7-8 games 2 1.16%
9 games 4 2.33%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
People can refute if it was on purpose all they want, that's their opinion. Either way, no matter what view you have, it's either a max fine or one game suspension in the least.

It was a careless/reckless elbow/forearm to the head, which is a hit to the head no matter how you try to spin it. Hits to the head are illegal, and this hit to the head caused an injury. there will be dicipline.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
im not a hawks fan. but i wanted 10 games.

for the keith hit last year I also think it should've been at least 10

Old
02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
im not a hawks fan. but i wanted 10 games.

for the keith hit last year I also think it should've been at least 10
This dirty **** will continue until they drop the instigator rule or find a way to penalize the team/organizations for dirty plays.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

It's a phone call, so no more than 5, OP done goofed

also, did nobody else see Hossa skate backwards? he's just as reckless as Hansen is here

Old
02-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

1-2. Was an obvious forearm shiver to the back of the head.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
No, actually, I'm not sure it's as bad as Sedin's dirty run at Keith. Keith wasn't injured though and Sedin got concussed. C'est la vie.
Amazing how big tough Duncan Keith can't take a solid hit from poor little wimp Daniel Sedin (at least, that's what all the Hawks and Bruins fans would have one convinced Sedin is).

Old
02-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
It's a phone call, so no more than 5, OP done goofed

also, did nobody else see Hossa skate backwards? he's just as reckless as Hansen is here
Oh yes, heaven forbid a player does this skating backwards thing. What a stupid accusation.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
This dirty **** will continue until they drop the instigator rule or find a way to penalize the team/organizations for dirty plays.
Make teams play a man down when someone is suspended.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
nmbr_24

Now that I look at it again it sure looks like Hansen did it on purpose, regular speed or slo-mo. He isn't anywhere near getting the puck so either he has terrible reflexes or he hit him in the head on purpose. Hockey players don't usually make the NHL with terrible reflexes, they usually have great reflexes.

We haven't seen Hansen do anything quite this bad before, but he has done things that lead me to believe that he has no problem breaking the rules when he wants to.

Who knows what he gets, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a fine or to see him get 3 games.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
People can refute if it was on purpose all they want, that's their opinion. Either way, no matter what view you have, it's either a max fine or one game suspension in the least.

It was a careless/reckless elbow/forearm to the head, which is a hit to the head no matter how you try to spin it. Hits to the head are illegal, and this hit to the head caused an injury. there will be dicipline.
Hossa is one of the Hawks I like so I hope he is Ok but if the hit wasn't to a star player I doubt that there is even a two minute penalty. These type of plays happen all of the time. I saw far worse in the Oilers/Kings game right after this one where RNH got rocked with his head down and an LA player got nailed watching the puck.
Because Hansen is a third liner and Hossa is a star, I think that he gets a game.

Last edited by vanwest: 02-20-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Amazing how big tough Duncan Keith can't take a solid hit from poor little wimp Daniel Sedin (at least, that's what all the Hawks and Bruins fans would have one convinced Sedin is).
Any wimp can headhunt, it's whether he can stand up for himself that counts. Heck, on an open skate last year some 12 year old kid almost broke my wrist with a pointless slash when I didn't even have the puck.. Can't retaliate against a juvenile.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Just another accident in the land of oopsies that is the NHL. Bettman, why u no protect your players??

In all seriousness this should be 3-5 games. Leads with the elbow, no attempt to play the puck. I can't believe some are saying he should get off scott free.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Oh yes, heaven forbid a player does this skating backwards thing. What a stupid accusation.
point was, the guy is skating backwards through the neutral zone, knows someone is behind him and should assume they're both going to be going for the puck, he should be more careful and shouldn't assume that Hansen is just gonna let him get the puck, they were both going for it and Hossa was closer, but shouldn't expect Hansen not to try and swat the puck away and then they collided

Old
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
point was, the guy is skating backwards through the neutral zone, knows someone is behind him and should assume they're both going to be going for the puck, he should be more careful and shouldn't assume that Hansen is just gonna let him get the puck, they were both going for it and Hossa was closer, but shouldn't expect Hansen not to try and swat the puck away and then they collided
Yeah, I mean, considering how many time a game we see players catch pucks out of mid air you'd think they'd be expecting the old opponents-elbow-to-the-back-of-the-head-just-trying-to-catch-puck play. Classic example of Hossa not keeping his head up.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Proust

If he didn't do it intentionally, 0 games. The NHL does not suspend players for solely reckless plays.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Going for the puck doesn't mean you can elbow someone in the head just like I have the right to drive to work but I don't have the right drive into other cars even if they are backing up.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Any wimp can headhunt, it's whether he can stand up for himself that counts. Heck, on an open skate last year some 12 year old kid almost broke my wrist with a pointless slash when I didn't even have the puck.. Can't retaliate against a juvenile.
I don't want to turn this into a Keith thing, but standing up for yourself is not cheap shorting someone like Keith did.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
A solid rub-out in the corner is not "headhunting". Headhunting is what Duncan Keith does when he throws flying elbows at guys with the puck nowhere in sight.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
DG

I'll say zero, maybe a fine.

But...

Quote:
Seriously?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, considering how many time a game we see players catch pucks out of mid air you'd think they'd be expecting the old opponents-elbow-to-the-back-of-the-head-just-trying-to-catch-puck play. Classic example of Hossa not keeping his head up.
these guys are playing a full contact sport, they should be expecting to be hit every time they're near the puck

at 8-9 seconds in of that video, Hossa looks around so he knows that there are 2 canuck players behind him, one within 3 - 4 feet of his current position behind him and to the right and he skates backwards towards Hansen and he should have expected Hansen to try and get the puck. While Hossa had the inside track on reaching it, I wouldn't expect any hockey player not to reach for it and then Hansen hit Hossa with his elbow, not on purpose but because he couldn't control the momentum that he used to get closer to the puck

if you look at 9-10 seconds of the video Hansen jumped to get his hand closer to the puck and it's of my firm belief that the following contact was an accident due to Hansen thinking he could have gotten the puck but falling short and ended up elbowing Hossa by accident

Old
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Going for the puck doesn't mean you can elbow someone in the head just like I have the right to drive to work but I don't have the right drive into other cars even if they are backing up.
this would be a good comparison if driving was a full contact sport, otherwise it doesn't make much sense

Old
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
vanwest

Quote:
these guys are playing a full contact sport, they should be expecting to be hit every time they're near the puck

at 8-9 seconds in of that video, Hossa looks around so he knows that there are 2 canuck players behind him, one within 3 - 4 feet of his current position behind him and to the right and he skates backwards towards Hansen and he should have expected Hansen to try and get the puck. While Hossa had the inside track on reaching it, I wouldn't expect any hockey player not to reach for it and then Hansen hit Hossa with his elbow, not on purpose but because he couldn't control the momentum that he used to get closer to the puck

if you look at 9-10 seconds of the video Hansen jumped to get his hand closer to the puck and it's of my firm belief that the following contact was an accident due to Hansen thinking he could have gotten the puck but falling short and ended up elbowing Hossa by accident
Agreed. The Hawks didn't even react as it looked just like a play you see all of the time.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I don't want to turn this into a Keith thing, but standing up for yourself is not cheap shorting someone like Keith did.

Yeah, he could have tried to drop the gloves with Sedin or gone for a clean hit. Instead he took the dirty way out.

I don't think Hansen gets any suspension, and if he does, it'll be 1-3 games tops. The NHL loves to base suspensions on the outcome rather than the act, and I think Hossa will be alright. We'll see though.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
The Saurus

Hansen wasn't even looking at the puck as he lunged forward with his elbow / forearm. He should get the maximum 5 games.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Hansen wasn't even looking at the puck as he lunged forward with his elbow / forearm. He should get the maximum 5 games.
Actually he was. He was going for the puck. If Hossa doesn't skate back into Hansen he doesn't get hit. It's an unfortunate play, but not a cheapshot.