HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
McTank

vCash: 500
The worst part is I think the AHL is the perfect level for him and he can't go there

Old
02-16-2013, 02:02 PM
dugman

I don't pretend to know anything about Grigorenko's maturity level or emotional stability, but he doesn't appear to be discouraged or fragile, if his demeanor on the bench or in interviews is any indication. He may recognize that his play will help determine his playing time, and he isn't being told that the fortunes of the team a riding on him. Yes, the AHL would probably be the best spot for him, but growing into the NHL on the fly might actually be better than another year of dominating the Q.
Yes, his skating needs to improve, and he is working with the Sabres skating coach, which he wouldn't be doing in Quebec, but his strengths rely more on his patience with the puck and vision than his speed.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Has anyone else noticed he seems a bit unwilling to battle along the boards? It's probably my biggest complaint about him so far. Was this something discussed going into the draft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
right. people here are in a panic. Just relax. He should see more playing time as the season progresses.
I don't see anyone panicking. I do see people concerned for his long-term development.

02-16-2013, 02:19 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugman View Post
I don't pretend to know anything about Grigorenko's maturity level or emotional stability, but he doesn't appear to be discouraged or fragile, if his demeanor on the bench or in interviews is any indication. He may recognize that his play will help determine his playing time, and he isn't being told that the fortunes of the team a riding on him. Yes, the AHL would probably be the best spot for him, but growing into the NHL on the fly might actually be better than another year of dominating the Q.
Yes, his skating needs to improve, and he is working with the Sabres skating coach, which he wouldn't be doing in Quebec, but his strengths rely more on his patience with the puck and vision than his speed.
Probably rarely, given the schedule this year.
Wasting a $925,000 year to essentially have him rack up air miles, eat steak dinners, and have a front row seat to the majority of all games is a complete waste.

He would have been better served working on his conditioning during the summer when it does not cost the team a year of his deal.
Then they could have evaluated him over the course of a month long training camp and pre-season, put him in his ten games if they felt they needed more time, and made a decision then.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't see anyone panicking. I do see people concerned for his long-term development.
How often are rookies sent back down to juniors to burn a year on their ELC? Not very, because its irrational. Suggesting the sabres do it is panicking.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:26 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I don't think he looks so lost as to suffer from being up here. Jumbo didn't, and I'd like to think he's a comparable player.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Djp

The problem has been how he has been used. They have effectivly been playing him on the checking line.

Leino injury hurt him big time because he had someone with offensive skill playing with him.

They need to occasionally play him with either Vanek or Pommenville. Its not too hard to occasionally run a double shift with either of them.

By having him here now gives him time to adjust to the NHL for next season. Next year they look to have Armia joining them on the team.

Next year its looking like:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Folignio-Grigs-Armia
Leino(*)-Ennis-Stafford
Girgenson-Ott-Kaleta

(8) he could be released with the mulligan and they go after a UFA LW or C. If they get a center they move Ennis to LW.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:52 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
The problem has been how he has been used. They have effectivly been playing him on the checking line.

Leino injury hurt him big time because he had someone with offensive skill playing with him.

They need to occasionally play him with either Vanek or Pommenville. Its not too hard to occasionally run a double shift with either of them.

By having him here now gives him time to adjust to the NHL for next season. Next year they look to have Armia joining them on the team.

Next year its looking like:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Folignio-Grigs-Armia
Leino(*)-Ennis-Stafford
Girgenson-Ott-Kaleta

(8) he could be released with the mulligan and they go after a UFA LW or C. If they get a center they move Ennis to LW.
Call me a jerk but ... C'mon Sabres fans, spell our players names right

How can you be so sure Armia and Girgensons will even make the team? I will not count on either making the team. And if they do, bonus.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
How often are rookies sent back down to juniors to burn a year on their ELC? Not very, because its irrational. Suggesting the sabres do it is panicking.
I don't care about the year on his ELC. I do care that he's not playing much and the team hardly practices. It isn't like he set the Q on fire, there are aspects of his game he still needs to round out and that usually requires ice time. He's not going to get it here, send him where he can get it. That they burned a year on his ELC, that's their mistake. Keeping him around to save face is probably more stupid than not sending him back in the role he's in.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
I don't care about the year on his ELC. I do care that he's not playing much and the team hardly practices. It isn't like he set the Q on fire, there are aspects of his game he still needs to round out and that usually requires ice time. He's not going to get it here, send him where he can get it. That they burned a year on his ELC, that's their mistake. Keeping him around to save face is probably more stupid than not sending him back in the role he's in.
This.

Unless he is getting some invaluable and amazing instruction, help, training from the coaches on the side that we all don't know about, they need to send him wherever he can play.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Yup. If ****ing sunk costs are affecting their decision making, everyone needs to be fired more than they need to already. That's the first ****ing rule of economics.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

He needs to be sent down and Darcy and co are probably going to be too stubborn to admit their mistake instead of doing what's best for him.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
He needs to be sent down and Darcy and co are probably going to be too stubborn to admit their mistake instead of doing what's best for him.
Darcy?

Stubborn?

Noooooooooooo way!

Old
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

A perfect opportunity to instill some confidence in Grigs and he benches him? Especially with Bogo coming back from injury and Enstrom out? I cannot believe what goes through his head to come to these conclusions.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
I agree Grigorenko can look timid at times, but do people think he was bad in the Boston game? Bad enough not to warrant a shift in the third period (trailing 2-1; line became 9-55-42) or an appearance tonight? He had nine shifts in total, where his puck battles were probably four-to-two in his favor (maybe more, I wasn't counting in this quick skim through his shifts via GCL) and one PP turnover on the wall as Boychuk dispossessed him and iced the puck. Prior to that, he had out-positioned Boychuk and Campbell to retrieve a puck as F1 and Ott ended up with a scoring chance with the pressure he caused as F2.

Grigorenko looked to be in position for the most part of those two periods and cleared the DZ several times (clears, passes and skates) and got the puck in deep 4-5 times. His minus came from a combination of things I thought were outside his control. First, his line was changing and fresh-legged Scott couldn't touch-up an icing. Not to worry though, because seconds later Kaleta found the puck on his stick and could make a pass and/or clear the zone, but instead he turned it over and the puck found its way up the wall, then a D-to-D pass, point-shot and carom later came Peverley's goal. Bad Grigorenko, long shifts.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:55 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I agree Grigorenko can look timid at times, but do people think he was bad in the Boston game? Bad enough not to warrant a shift in the third period (trailing 2-1; line became 9-55-42) or an appearance tonight? He had nine shifts in total, where his puck battles were probably four-to-two in his favor (maybe more, I wasn't counting in this quick skim through his shifts via GCL) and one PP turnover on the wall as Boychuk dispossessed him and iced the puck. Prior to that, he had out-positioned Boychuk and Campbell to retrieve a puck as F1 and Ott ended up with a scoring chance with the pressure he caused as F2.

Grigorenko looked to be in position for the most part of those two periods and cleared the DZ several times (clears, passes and skates) and got the puck in deep 4-5 times. His minus came from a combination of things I thought were outside his control. First, his line was changing and fresh-legged Scott couldn't touch-up an icing. Not to worry though, because seconds later Kaleta found the puck on his stick and could make a pass and/or clear the zone, but instead he turned it over and the puck found its way up the wall, then a D-to-D pass, point-shot and carom later came Peverley's goal. Bad Grigorenko, long shifts.

He's sitting because the 3rd line is now being used as a defensive line. He is not capable of playing on that type of line. Its really that simple.

He's suffering because of the ill conceived makeup of this lineup (3 offensive centers and Hecht in the middle) and our poor play. I really think Ruff is surprised by how bad they're playing and he was expecting to play Grigs more. But the situation they are in now is making him play to get back into the playoff hunt.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Snargitz

Season's over now anyway, give him big minutes and let him learn.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:10 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He's sitting because the 3rd line is now being used as a defensive line. He is not capable of playing on that type of line. Its really that simple.

He's suffering because of the ill conceived makeup of this lineup (3 offensive centers and Hecht in the middle) and our poor play. I really think Ruff is surprised by how bad they're playing and he was expecting to play Grigs more. But the situation they are in now is making him play to get back into the playoff hunt.
Why not dress him in favor of one of the other useless guys and solely give him some power play time?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Zeroknowledge*

The question marks around him were overwhelming last year as we got closer to the draft, I still think he has tons of potential but not sure whet ever he will reach it or not, either way right now his situation is not helping his development, if I'm the Sabres I'd bite the bullet and send him back to the Q, yes you wasted a year and an entry level contract but it's the best option for the sake of the kid's future.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
joshjull

Grigs was centering Foligno/Stafford in practice today. If Ennis can't go vs the Leafs then Grigs should get a good opportunity.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-20-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Veritas0Aequitas

Practicing on the PP too.

I hope Ennis can't go. Grigorenko needs an opportunity like this. He's a top 6 C and needs the opportunity to play more with better linemates.

I don't think he needs to go back to the Q, I think he just needs at least 12-13 minutes of ice time and quality linemates.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Grigs was centering Foligno/Stafford in practice today. If Ennis can't go vs the Leafs then Ennis should get a good opportunity.
Over under on how many shifts before Hecht is in the top 6 and Grigs is stapled to the bench if Ennis is out?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Over under on how many shifts before Hecht is in the top 6 and Grigs is stapled to the bench if Ennis is out?

Old
02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
I'll take the under on 5 please.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Veritas0Aequitas

I think Grigs sees regular ice time now. We could see a complete 180 with a new coach.

Closed Thread