HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

O'Reilly's dad goes full Lindros

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Wow. Embarrassing. Guy sounds spiteful and illogical. Character is big, but it has to come paired with the ability to put up numbers to get the kind of money ROR is asking for. He simply hasn't put up the numbers yet. He needs to sign the bridge contract like everyone else and earn his big payday.

I do not want a guy who comes packaged with this drama on my team.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
I don't.
His dad doesn't know the difference between "basis" and "bases."

With that turd of stupidity floating around in his gene pool how can you not?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
TL;DR version:

Out here in the fields
I fight for my meals
I get my back into my living
I don't need to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven
This is the best post I have seen on hf since I joined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
I don't.
I do. I've said all along that I think he's been badly advised in this situation, and it would seem that that is in fact the case.

Re: B. O'Reilly's letter, I should point out that he has some problems with writing properly as you can no doubt tell. Normally he has to get people to proof-read stuff for him though he didn't in this case. That aside, the content of the e-mail is clear. Mys on works hard. You should pay him lots. End of.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

vCash: 50
I like how a lot of you are *****ing about the guys spelling and grammar instead of talking about the matter at hand.

The Avs can sit on O'Reilly for 4 years I believe. Why the hell would you chance ruining your future for a little extra dough?

Instead of taking a smaller deal and playing it out he's making no money, which is what he is all about apparently.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
TOML

Wow. Just, wow.

Makes Cody Hodgson's dad look like Ghandi.

TOML

Old
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
NooDLE

Is O'Reilly and character going to become the equivalent of Toews and intangibles?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
All of you have missed the diabolical genius that is Brian O'Reilly.

Like a modern-day Professor Moriarty, the secret is in the clues left by the capitalized letters in the middle of sentences, which, when arranged in order, spell:

AFLATAOIOCC

Which, when re-arranged....

...spell nothing of consequence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Ryan OīReilly was 2nd in character last season, according to the official NHL stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Can a NHL team actually trade a father ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Babchuk Crunch View Post
When Jeff O'Neill is making this much sense, you know things are crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
You clearly didn't understand what his dad was trying to say. To sum it up: ROR will take his formidable character anywhere as long as you pay him. I'm sure he'd be happy to lead the Avalanche in salary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipson View Post
O'Reilly may have been #2 in character in the NHL, but did you see his defensive zone start percentage? Everyone knows extra faceoffs in the defensive end build character, I'd like to see his Adjusted Character Per 60.

This thread delivers.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Considering Andy lost seven straight games towards the end and seemingly wasn't even trying to make saves before he was shipped out of Denver, I'm not sure I would hold him up as a paragon of character.
I cracked up at the Anderson reference. The same guy who has been mediocre, then great, then mediocre, then great over his entire career.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Qurpiz
Ihanaa Saatana!

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

It all seems planned to me.
You'd think that for such a clever scheme they'd come up with a coherent letter

Old
02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

great read, literally laughing my ass off right now, maybe run that by one or two other people, or maybe give it a proof read before you ask for it to be published i hope his dad isn't a part of the negotiating process, he probably cant read read the numbers correctly.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Well..I doubt his dad just sent this email without taking to his son or agent..

It all seems planned to me.
Doubtful, considering the letter is crazy. Any agent, or merely any sane person would not think that this letter was a good move.

I am sure the dad loves his son... but if you are a professional life coach... it kind of means you lean towards being a narcistic nutbag.

This is not full Lindros, at least Carl and Bonnie had some logical reasons. And Eric Lindros was pretty much the best prospect... or even the best player in the world. He actually was in a position of some power to dictate where he would go.

O'Reilly is a nice player, who has had one pretty good year. He is apparently asking for a lot more money than is reasonable for a player that has proven what he has so far. It is a contract negotiation, hopefully all of this is Ryan's doing and not because his father is some expert at "life skills"! LOL... He got the character skillz!!!! 95 in MATH!!!

Old
02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sakic View Post
I like how a lot of you are *****ing about the guys spelling and grammar instead of talking about the matter at hand.

The Avs can sit on O'Reilly for 4 years I believe. Why the hell would you chance ruining your future for a little extra dough?

Instead of taking a smaller deal and playing it out he's making no money, which is what he is all about apparently.
And as the team stays outside the top-8 and attendance starts to dwindle the pressure will rise on management. The Avs could lose millions in gate revenues by not spending a little extra dough.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooDLE View Post
Is O'Reilly and character going to become the equivalent of Toews and intangibles?
We can only hope.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sakic View Post

I can' help but feel that even if ROR gets his money next season that by not playing this season he will come out behind.

Meaning, the longer he holds-out, the more paychecks he is going to miss. At some point, he misses enough paychecks that the extra he gets from holding-out isn't going to make up for all of the lost wages.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Crobby

I counted 22 "characters" in that letter and I feel like I have more character for it.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I can' help but feel that even if ROR gets his money next season that by not playing this season he will come out behind.

Meaning, the longer he holds-out, the more paychecks he is going to miss. At some point, he misses enough paychecks that the extra he gets from holding-out isn't going to make up for all of the lost wages.
sounds like the lockout

Old
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
And as the team stays outside the top-8 and attendance starts to dwindle the pressure will rise on management. The Avs could lose millions in gate revenues by not spending a little extra dough.
OReilly isn't the difference in that. If we give him that much it messes up all future contracts. Duchene after two ppg+ seasons? If ROR gets 5M for his seasons duchene would deserve 8!

Old
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

Maybe no one told him the lock out has ended.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
rschile

wow o'reillys an idiot for listening to this guy even though that his dad lol i guess they probably think alike which would be good if o'reilly was actually playing with all that character building and thriving or whatever.. i love how its where WE go from here is something about character.. just solidfying his postition that he and o'reilly are one

Old
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobby View Post
I counted 22 "characters" in that letter and I feel like I have more character for it.
Yep, 22 uses of the word character including 7 in one paragraph.

The Avs can't afford to pay $5 - $6.5 M for all of Stastny/Duchene/ROR in the future.

if ROR wants that kinda $ then it's his job to make sure that he's better than one of the other two centres so he can be offered that $ and TOI. Not playing isn't gonna get the job done.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he wrote this email from a cell phone.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobby View Post
Four more characters and you can build a dynasty.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Ellipson

Character is So IMPORTANT to his Dad that He Capitalizes random Characters So Readers will KNOW that Big Characters Always Stand out From the Rest. Also everyone know that BIG Characters are worth 5.5 MILLION are year.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1084 View Post
Jeff o neill summed it up in a tweet earlier:
"O'Reilly 18 goals career high. Get on the ice. Greedy agent. Period."
Too true...

How does O'Reilly possibly justify wanting more than 3.5M a year?

Old
02-20-2013, 01:19 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Can't believe no one posted this yet on the main board, it's hilarious. Ryan O'Reilly's dad (life coach Brian O'Reilly) writes an e-mail/manifesto to the Avs' beat writer which he asks to be published. It was known that O'Reilly's dad had been involved in negotiations in some way but wow....mind you, when Lindros took his parents' advice the last time, it worked out pretty well for the team trading him.

Warning: Trying to read this might make your head sore

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...mpaign=twitter

Just for some contrast, here's a recent interview with Matt Duchene. A player who O'Reilly's letter possibly implies has skill but lacks "character":
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22612010
And it happens to be the same organization. Too strange.

Closed Thread