HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If You Had To Trade One Who Would It Be, Hemsky or Gagner?

View Poll Results: If You Had To Trade One Who Would It Be, Hemsky or Gagner?
Hemsky 169 75.45%
Gagner 30 13.39%
Flip A Coin 25 11.16%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

vCash: 500
If You Had To Trade One Who Would It Be, Hemsky or Gagner?

Now I realize that a number of posters wouldn't want to move either player, however let's just come up with a hypothetical here. There's a player that we covet who will bring a better balance to our top 6 and he can play center or wing very well (again purely hypothetical). Their GM says that he'll take either player straight up or with a pick added (equal trade value). Which one do you move and why?

02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Providing that new player has the size/strength/skill we need...

I'd trade Hemmer because of a higher cap hit and age. Put the new player at C and move Gagner to wing.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 267
Hemsky, because of age and the fact that he's injured damn near everything a NHLer can.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
tough call imo, it would depend on what we get back. gagner seems more suited to play with different players, compliments other players well and has huge upside imo. but hemsky has that instant impact on a game where he can make a game changing play. given hemskys injury history i would lean towards him but i have a soft spot for him as he has stuck with the oilers through the worst of times. I wouldnt trade either unless i was getting a significant upgrade for my team, not some hemsky for bryan boyle BS

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
tdfast

I'd deal Hemsky just because of age and injury history. And Gagner's the team's leading scorer so hard to deal him...

tdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfast View Post
I'd deal Hemsky just because of age and injury history. And Gagner's the team's leading scorer so hard to deal him...
I think the other thing is Hemsky is what he is. Gagner is still young and could learn a two-way game or at the very least how to win a draw.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
oilfaninvan

You trade Hemsky and build a second line around Nail Yakupov/Gagner.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 846
Hemsky. He is finally healthy and at a high value.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
NeutralZone

I don't think we can even think about trading Gagner unless a center is coming back. Even then, our depth in the position is bad enough that I'd rather play a center on the wing than get rid of Gagner.

Hemsky is a good player, and I don't generally support trading him because his value is low because he's had a lot of injuries, but for the right return coming back I think he's the obvious choice. He doesn't leave a very big hole in the lineup.

Also, Hemsky's contract is up after next season. He can probably get a lot more money on the UFA market than we'll want to pay him. Maybe he'll take a discount, but if we don't trade him before then, we risk losing him for nothing.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
tdfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I think the other thing is Hemsky is what he is. Gagner is still young and could learn a two-way game or at the very least how to win a draw.
Yeah, I can't see how you'd deal Gagner over Hemsky. Gagner could move to the wing if we got someone like O'Reily as a 2nd line C. Hemsky and Teemu for O'Reily, then move Gagner to RW would be a nice move, if you can get a decent deal done.

tdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
jeffff

The money is a moot point. With Gagners contract being up at the season. He will get a raise over is current 3.2 mil and if he continues at his current pace....more than a ppg. He will get Hemsky salary.

It's a tough call, Hemmers health is the only concern. If we knew that neither of them would never miss another game....I'd trade Gagner. But in the real world, it makes more sense to trade Hemsky.

The main question is....who would we get more for?

jeffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Why don't you do a "hypothetical" for Hall and Eberle? What are Gagner and Hemsky, a couple of old Chrsitmas presents that you've grown tired of playing with?

No matter how you try to sell this thread, it's pretty obvious why it was made BBO.

You're better than that, no?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
I'd trade both to fill holes if I could get a fair return but if I had to choose, it's Hemsky.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Soundwave

If we're not in a playoff spot and it looks iffy, you trade Hemsky at the deadline or earlier this year.

Wait and see what the draft position is if they don't make the playoffs and who they end up picking.

If it's a winger like Nicushkin, you just keep Gagner IMO.

If Gagner is asking for too much money or you land a Mackinnon (gulp) or Barkov, you probably lean towards dealing him but not until the summer.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:34 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
hemsky, because of age and the fact that he's injured damn near everything a nhler can.
100%.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:36 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffff View Post
The money is a moot point. With Gagners contract being up at the season. He will get a raise over is current 3.2 mil and if he continues at his current pace....more than a ppg. He will get Hemsky salary.

It's a tough call, Hemmers health is the only concern. If we knew that neither of them would never miss another game....I'd trade Gagner. But in the real world, it makes more sense to trade Hemsky.

The main question is....who would we get more for?
That is a great question, pretty tough to answer when Hemsky is playing healthy and playing good. But I would still try and trade Hemsky now, as he is worth the most he probably will be for a long time.

Last edited by timekeep: 02-20-2013 at 02:16 PM.
timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
tv14

Neither?

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Pugilist

For the better part of a decade, fans of this team have been clamouring for some skilled line mates that Hemsky can play with.

We have those now, Hemsky is playing fantastic hockey and we want to ship him off?

Yeah I get that this team has needs but I'd rather we look to fill those needs in another manner.

Pugilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugilist View Post
For the better part of a decade, fans of this team have been clamouring for some skilled line mates that Hemsky can play with.

We have those now, Hemsky is playing fantastic hockey and we want to ship him off?

Yeah I get that this team has needs but I'd rather we look to fill those needs in another manner.
Did somebody say draft lottery?

We're not going to get anything of value if we refuse to give anything of value.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Pugilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

We're not going to get anything of value if we refuse to give anything of value.
That's why I voted Gagner.

If this team nabs another high (top 5) pick due to ineptitude and a poorly constructed roster, then trade the pick for some immediate help in the areas of grit in the top six.

At some point this team is going to need some maturity and and a hard nose edge, adding another shiny new toy will add neither.

Pugilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugilist View Post
That's why I voted Gagner.

If this team nabs another high (top 5) pick due to ineptitude and a poorly constructed roster, then trade the pick for some immediate help in the areas of grit in the top six.

At some point this team is going to need some maturity and and a hard nose edge, adding another shiny new toy will add neither.
I'd rather trade Hemsky for that grit than trade one of MacKinnon/Jones/Barkov/Drouin/etc. and possibly be kicking ourselves for the next 10+ years.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Neither unless you sign a guy like Getzlaf at which point you move Gagner.

You can sign or trade parts for all the supporting cast and our top six is just fine.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Trade Eberle then?

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Trade Eberle then?
Everyone but RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, and Schultz are fair game IMO, unless it's some kind of ridiculous deal with Tavares coming the other way or something.

We complained for years too that we didn't have any trade value for Hemsky and Gagner, and finally they are boosting their stats even though the team isn't doing great.

We finally have some trade leverage though at least.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Why don't you do a "hypothetical" for Hall and Eberle? What are Gagner and Hemsky, a couple of old Chrsitmas presents that you've grown tired of playing with?

No matter how you try to sell this thread, it's pretty obvious why it was made BBO.

You're better than that, no?

Probably because if we are going to shore up our team they'd be the key piece. Unless Hordi or Potter are a key piece to help shore up or holes.