Ducks sign Fasth to Two-Year Extension

Old
02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
It's just his age though he's 30 can he really play past 31-32? He will be 33 once his contract has expired.
The 30s are when most goalies play their best hockey. Age is totally a non-issue.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's just his age though he's 30 can he really play past 31-32? He will be 33 once his contract has expired.
It's not his age. It's the sample size of NHL games.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Daz28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
it says we have 2.9mil less a year to sign them. other than that...nadda
...or if Fasth continues to play well, and Hiller becomes expendable, it means $1.6M more to sign them.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Here's to hoping that he can keep it up the whole year and give us the ability to trade Hiller for cap space and some nice pieces.

I think it is a little too much BUT it is much better then losing him for nothing in a few months.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Here's to hoping that he can keep it up the whole year and give us the ability to trade Hiller for cap space and some nice pieces.

I think it is a little too much BUT it is much better then losing him for nothing in a few months.
here's to waiting for Hiller to Toronto trade threads becoming imminent in the Trade Forum.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Hockey Duckie

Wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow

I'm doing the chicken dance of victory right now. Is Bob reading our minds? I like this move as it makes our goal tending that much stronger! Even if we don't trade Hiller away, it ensures we will always put up very good back stopping for the next few years. Also, it gives more time for our younger goalies to develop and mature.

Since our goalie is the last line of defense and they make a huge difference if our team playing in front of them is sucking terribly (as it has many this year), then I subscribe to the idea of solidifying that position for years to come.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Risky move. Here's hoping Fasth doesn't crash back to reality before 2015.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
DarthYenik

My reaction...

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
30-33 is not a problem at all, such a small difference.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Absolutely nothing.
You have no evidence

But, well i`d want we first resign our big duo. If we`re signing Fasth before them, than they are still negotiating and are not on the same page, at least as of now. It could be nothing big, just some minor issues, but it also could be something more. Who knows, but i thought that P&G was our first target coming into the season.

I just want that Bob signs our big duo soon.

As for Fasth, i`m happy we resigned him, but personally, i`d like to take a longer look at him before giving him almost 6m in 2 years.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:34 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Me gusta

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Me gusta
A mi tambien.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
here's to waiting for Hiller to Toronto trade threads becoming imminent in the Trade Forum.
Who cares if he can get us a return.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
You have no evidence

But, well i`d want we first resign our big duo. If we`re signing Fasth before them, than they are still negotiating and are not on the same page, at least as of now. It could be nothing big, just some minor issues, but it also could be something more. Who knows, but i thought that P&G was our first target coming into the season.

I just want that Bob signs our big duo soon.

As for Fasth, i`m happy we resigned him, but personally, i`d like to take a longer look at him before giving him almost 6m in 2 years.
Yeah that.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
teemuselanne

I think this is a good signing but why is everyone so anxious to trade Hiller? He is a #1 goalie and we've all seen the ability that he has to steal games, he had a rough start to the season and then got injured. I really think it would be a big mistake and I for one would be extremely ****** to trade the guy who's carried the team on his back for the better part of the last three or four years for some of the packages I've seen in this thread.

teemuselanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I love this signing. I was hoping Murph would sign him to this exact contract. Well done!

We needed to commit to Fasth soon because if he keeps up with great play he'd be well sought after. I think a lot of people are putting too much emphasis on the 8 games thing. He's 30 years old and has been a pro hockey player for a while. He's no rookie, just new to the NHL. He had to prove he can handle the NHL game and he has. If he were younger I might question whether he could keep this up but I feel like this is a good indicator of the kind of goalie he's going to be.

I'm not a big fan of Hiller. He some how stops a lot of pucks but he never looks comfortable. My wife swears every great save he makes is an accident. I want to start a drinking game where you take a shot every time Johnny or Hazy says something along the lines of "Hiller didn't see it" or if he's looking in the complete opposite direction of the puck. I hope Fasth keeps up his great play and makes Hiller expendable. That shouldn't happen until the summer for a few reasons: 1) to make sure Fasth is the real deal, 2) to ride what might be the best goalie tandem in the league into the playoffs and 3) the trade market will be so much better.

I'm on board the Fasth bandwagon 100%.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemuselanne View Post
I think this is a good signing but why is everyone so anxious to trade Hiller? He is a #1 goalie and we've all seen the ability that he has to steal games, he had a rough start to the season and then got injured. I really think it would be a big mistake and I for one would be extremely ****** to trade the guy who's carried the team on his back for the better part of the last three or four years for some of the packages I've seen in this thread.
Don`t understand it either, but i think some part of us here were just jocking about that.

Sad if they didn`t

Hillsy is striky (is that the word? not sure about the spelling either) , but, when he`s on his game, usually, on the 2nd part of the season, he`s on it big time.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:49 PM
bumperkisser

jesus. earllyyy.. thats a lot of money for an unproven NHL goaltender whos only played 8 games..

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Don`t understand it either, but i think some part of us here were just jocking about that.

Sad if they didn`t

Hillsy is striky (is that the word? not sure about the spelling either) , but, when he`s on his game, usually, on the 2nd part of the season, he`s on it big time.
Streaky. And I agree.

I just hope that we don't lose whoever leaves to waivers, like what happened with Bryz. But I think at that point Burke was more interested in looking for another job than trading Bryz.

As for Fasth, it's not like he is an 18 year old straight out of juniors and doesn't have professional experience.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
jesus. earllyyy.. thats a lot of money for an unproven NHL goaltender whos only played 8 games..
FIRE MURRAY! FGUIOPAHNGOPIJSRgiw[aiorjgv[aeiojgvp[aue[

Do people really think a 2.9 million average is a crippling number? Even if he goes Steve Mason on us he'd be worth more to us than the two years of Jason Blake we had to endure. At worst he becomes a relief goaltender for Hiller. He's not, however, an unproven goaltender. Internationally he was one of the best goalies outside of the NHL, and he's shown that he can adapt to North American hockey.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Ducks

I'm very happy Murray struck a deal this soon. I was really hoping we'd get Fasth locked up asap, and it's not surprising considering the Ducks have been after Fasth for a couple of years now. If I recall correctly, didn't Fasth mention a while back that part of the reason he chose to come to Anaheim was because they had expressed the most interest over the past couple of seasons?

Pros
* Ducks get their guy locked up for a few years at a fair 1B price, and a steal 1A price.
* Ducks have the option to go 1A/1B for a few seasons giving them more time to make a choice between the two when Gibson is ready.
* If we waited much longer, there's a strong possibility Fasth's value goes beyond what we can afford.

Cons
* It's a huge contract for a guy who has only played a handful of NHL games. But to be fair, the Ducks have been scouting him for a long time and probably aren't all that surprised by his performance up to this point.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
goosemooseduck

Not a bad deal, although maybe a bit too soon. I'd let him play few more games before jumping on it.

What I really don't like is Murray fiddling with all the small bits but always leaves big nuts to the end, then it fails (Schultz for example).

Hope he won't screw up Getz/Perry contracts.

goosemooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

Do people really think a 2.9 million average is a crippling number? Even if he goes Steve Mason on us he'd be worth more to us than the two years of Jason Blake we had to endure. At worst he becomes a relief goaltender for Hiller. He's not, however, an unproven goaltender. Internationally he was one of the best goalies outside of the NHL, and he's shown that he can adapt to North American hockey.
There's no need to mischaracterize the argument that way, despite how excited you get for new guys. Signing Fasth right now is a risk. We may need that money later; it depends on how things work out. You're assuming when you talk about what happens "at worst."

And yes, he's an unproven goaltender. His career overseas is comparatively brief for a man his age and ultimately amounts to a successful minor pro career. Nor does an 8 game streak prove that he can adapt.

Which is why it's a risk. I think it's a good risk, but it's still a risk.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

actually at worse, he completely fizzles out and we have to find a new backup to replace him. that's the factual at worst

once again, not saying its an awful signing. just early and risky

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 1a/1b goalie tandem with two legitimate starters IF both can handle it mentally. If the Ducks do lose one or both of the twins having solid goalies will help keep the team relevant. Absolutely nothing wrong with this move.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote