HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Could Giroux be traded? What's he worth?

Old
02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
That is completely false. Its been 16 games! You guys judge him because of the begining of the season? For over 2 years hes been 1 of the best players in the league and I include his 76pt season because of what he did in the playoffs last year. If you think that doesn't matter than you shouldnt be able to have an opinion in this thread. In fact, he outplayed the **** out of both of those superstars in the playoffs (and it wasn't even close) He even finished the playoffs with more points than anyone after playing half of the games. Does that make them any worse? NO! They're still legendary caliber players. This is nonsense and the only people who think Giroux isn't the player he was last year are haters who want him to fail because he plays for Philly. Fact is on talent he matches any player in the league except Crosby. And even Crosby you can make cases that he's just as talented. And if someone tells me that Crosby and Malkin do it by themselves they're full of ****. They've had a very solid top 6 and top 4 for almost a decade. They're a great team with the 2 best players in the league. If you believe the players around them have nothing to do with their production then you need to watch hockey longer. This isn't basketball it's a full team game and every player on the ice matters.

Not even close. He's had what one 90+ point season, with a future HOFer on his wing.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Bold A: Struggling=/=unlucky. Granted, he hasn't played as well as last year (injured while playing in Germany, lockout season, etc.) but his shooting % and on ice shooting percentage have been in the unlucky range for most of the season. If he'd get some more puck luck he'd be pushing well over a PPG right now.

Bold B: He's not a complimentary center. He's a franchise center, and one would have to be a ****ing blind hater to disagree. A complimentary winger would be like James Neal. A guy who would be a 50 pt scorer on any other team but mooches off of a star C like Malkin. Giroux doesn't need wingers of Malkin's ilk to put up 90+ points.
But yet the only year he cracked 90 points he had Jagr riding shotgun. I'd like to see what he does with Dupuis and Kunitz on his wing.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
But yet the only year he cracked 90 points he had Jagr riding shotgun. I'd like to see what he does with Dupuis and Kunitz on his wing.
Jagr missed a lot of games last year and Giroux was actually more productive without Jagr on the ice than with him. If you wanted to argue any player being integral to Giroux's 90 point season last year, it would be Hartnell and his insane shooting percentage last season.

Regardless, Giroux is without question one of the top centers in the league. No reason to really dispute that.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Jagr had 54 points last year. Not exactly dominating.

TBH, I would love to see what Giroux could do with Malkin, Neal and Letang on a PP. And put Giroux against the other teams second pairing defense, eek.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Remember2004

If Kessel got 2 1st and a 2nd... I don't even know what Giroux will get. There would be no reason to trade him because for one hes a beast and he has one of the best contracts in the league for now and what he brings to the table. What team would he be traded to anyways?

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Soundwave

Don't do it Philly. Just say no. Unless you're getting Tavares/Stamkos back, it won't be worth it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Jagr had 54 points last year. Not exactly dominating.

TBH, I would love to see what Giroux could do with Malkin, Neal and Letang on a PP. And put Giroux against the other teams second pairing defense, eek.
That would be interesting... Hmmm maybe

1st, 2nd, Letang, Kennedy, Morrow?
for
Giroux?

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
That would be interesting... Hmmm maybe

1st, 2nd, Letang, Kennedy, Morrow?
for
Giroux?
I love the way you managed to sneak Kennedy in there by putting him in the middle.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:13 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Columbus only has 3 unless you count their 2nd rounder which may be #30.
the flyers would have 4 1st rd picks after the deal. given the depth of this years draft throw in vinny prospal and id do it

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Would RNH + Smid + 1st for Girioux work for Flyers from Edmonton??

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:07 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Don't do it Philly. Just say no. Unless you're getting Tavares/Stamkos back, it won't be worth it.
don't worry, we aren't trading him

this thread is as useless as the one about Nashville sending Giroux an offer sheet as "payback"

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Would RNH + Smid + 1st for Girioux work for Flyers from Edmonton??
nope.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Yes, this IS a totally unrealistic possibility. The Flyers trading Giroux would be like Tampa trading Stamkos or the Senators trading Karlsson.... it WON'T happen.

BUT, if we're being silly, I could see the Capitals looking for a major shakeup trade so something along the lines of....

Giroux to CAPS

and

Backstrom, Carlson and 1st rounder to FLYERS

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Yes, this IS a totally unrealistic possibility. The Flyers trading Giroux would be like Tampa trading Stamkos or the Senators trading Karlsson.... it WON'T happen.

BUT, if we're being silly, I could see the Capitals looking for a major shakeup trade so something along the lines of....

Giroux to CAPS

and

Backstrom, Carlson and 1st rounder to FLYERS
Honestly, if WSH offered this, I would think really hard about it, and probably do it.

But I don't think they would.

This basically fixes the Flyers, completely.

They'll replace Giroux with Backstrom who's almost as good, get their potential #1 right handed big d-man on the back end, and replenish their prospects with at least a mid first and a second late first.

Hartnell-Backstrom-Voracek
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
Knuble-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Carlson
Grossman-Meszaros

Bryz
Bouch

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Honestly, if WSH offered this, I would think really hard about it, and probably do it.

But I don't think they would.

This basically fixes the Flyers, completely.

They'll replace Giroux with Backstrom who's almost as good, get their potential #1 right handed big d-man on the back end, and replenish their prospects with at least a mid first and a second late first.

Hartnell-Backstrom-Voracek
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
Knuble-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Carlson
Grossman-Meszaros

Bryz
Bouch
As a Flyers fan, I thought the same thing. I thought WOW...that would be hard to say no to!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I hate the Flyers as much as anyone but I don't know why Philly would ever trade Giroux unless the return was massive, and maybe not even then. I think he's among the best forwards in the league and I agree that he shouldn't be judged by 16 games.

That said, I disagree with what I've bolded above in your post. I don't think he's arguably as talented as Crosby, mainly because I think there's only one person in the league anywhere near as talented as Crosby and that's Malkin (actually I think Malkin is ahead in terms of pure natural talent but Crosby has better vision/hockey IQ/whatever and a more complete game, but this is off topic). I also don't see how anyone could claim that Crosby's wingers have had anything to do with his production. At all. Kunitz is a good player but he's not exactly going to set the world on fire with production. And Pascal Dupuis is scoring like he is because he's playing with Sid. I don't think anyone would argue he's an ideal first line winger. If memory serves the best winger Crosby has ever played with has been Hossa, and that was only for a short time after the trade deadline/playoff run. Otherwise it's been nothing but players like Kunitz, Dupuis, Armstrong, etc. I don't really see how the argument can be made that Malkin is being helped by his line mates either. Sure he's playing with James Neal now, but he won the Conn Smythe with Maxime Talbot & Ruslan Fedotenko on his wings. His left wing this year is basically just a giant soul sucking wormhole - anyone who has played there has had the lifespan of a Spinal Tap drummer. It's Malkin & Neal and nobody else and again, if anything it's Malkin upping Neal's play and not the other way around.

This is all tangential, though. tl;dr verison is that the Flyers shouldn't trade Giroux and certainly not based on a 16 game sample size.
I'd say that there are several players in the league as talented as Crosby and Malkin. The difference is maybe drive/hockey IQ/vision something else that makes them better players, but honestly there's guys that stack up skill wise with Crosby and Malkin. Semin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Giroux, the Sedins etc aren't all that far apart talent wise. There's just something about those 2 that make them produce more. Maybe's it's Malkin's combo of skill and size, or Crosby's combo of skill and IQ, but it isn't just raw talent alone.

One thing I'll say about Malkin and Crosby's help is that they help each other. They get to play together on the PP, but more importantly there is only 1 shutdown center and usually 1 D pairing on the opposing team. That means one of Crosby or Malkin is facing a scoring line and a 2nd pairing, which is almost always advantage Pens.

I'm not taking anything away from them because they are the 2 best players in the world, but they do have a hand in each others success, more so than most of their wingers.

Also, to whoever thinks Giroux is a "complimentary player", or is returning to earth: In his last 221 games (playoffs included) or nearly 3 full seasons, he has 234 points. That's 87 points per 82 games. If he finishes this year on another 82+ point pace, I think we can all safely say he's one of the top 5 forwards in the game. And those types of forwards are not complimentary players.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
I read in a Philadelphia newspaper that Claude was described as the second coming of Bobby Clarke. A feisty forward with outstanding stick handling/ puck controlling skills, he just needs to become comfortable with his new responsibilities as team captain.
As much as Ed Snider loves Bob Clarke, there is no way in hell that he'll trade away a guy who has the potential to become another HOF player like Clarke.
This thread is pointless, because G is not going to be traded....no matter what package is offered.
Ahem. They said basically the same thing about Mike Richards.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Not Flyers, but Giroux. Extra unnecessary pressure when you could have pointed someone like Coburn or Timonen for the captaincy.
There's a good chance he was/is still feeling the effects of a neck injury.

02-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Shady Machine

To those questioning Giroux's leadership, didn't you hear Pierre McGuire last night? Giroux makes a hit "What a leader! this guy is just a sensational captain". "Bobby Clarke must be smiling somewhere". Giroux shoots a puck off the post "Giroux just keeps getting better, what a player!". I think we need to add a new creepy picture of Pierre with his arm around Giroux. He seems to be his new crush.

All kidding aside, Giroux is a hell of a player. He seems to have the character to be a good captain too. As a Pens fan, I'm glad the Flyers found a superstar to make these games even more fun.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
To PHI: Seguin, Subban, 2013 1st rd pick

To BOS: Giroux

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Bold A: Struggling=/=unlucky. Granted, he hasn't played as well as last year (injured while playing in Germany, lockout season, etc.) but his shooting % and on ice shooting percentage have been in the unlucky range for most of the season. If he'd get some more puck luck he'd be pushing well over a PPG right now.

Bold B: He's not a complimentary center. He's a franchise center, and one would have to be a ****ing blind hater to disagree. A complimentary winger would be like James Neal. A guy who would be a 50 pt scorer on any other team but mooches off of a star C like Malkin. Giroux doesn't need wingers of Malkin's ilk to put up 90+ points.
Hey you have Malkin's old wingers in Fedotenko and Talbot. Why not try Giroux with them and see if he puts up 100+ like Malkin has?

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote