HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Overachieving, The Real Deal or Easy Schedule?

View Poll Results: How would you explain the recent success?
Over-Achieving 41 19.16%
Easy Schedule 28 13.08%
The Real Deal 55 25.70%
All of the Above 90 42.06%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Habs are better than most give them credit for, but they need to do better against divisional rivals, especially when it's so close (though Ottawa might drop down soon...and Toronto ). Otherwise, the Habs will not stay atop the East for long.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think they are better than last season, but maybe they are over-achieving.

Their offense - Top 6 is pretty much the same. Bottom 6 has been touched up and re-polished and has contributed to hard work, momentum-shifting defensive play that this team was lacking last year.

Their defense - Outside of Markov being healthy and Bouillon coming in to play on the bottom pairing, this defense didn't change all that much. The biggest surprise is Diaz. Nobody expected him to be THIS good, which I guess you can credit to Subban not signing right away. With Subban signing before the start of the season, Diaz might not have gotten the chance to show what he can do, especially on the PP with Markov.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

My opinion is: To early to tell.

We had an easy schedule. Lots of home games. Let's see how we can do on big roadtrips.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
SonOfA BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Exactly. We are winless against the Western Conference. We have also FAILED more than once per week since the season began. That is a terribly frequent occurence. FIVE times we were humiliated, one of which was in a shootout, the other four times the humiliation mercifully lasted only sixty minutes.

If not for the games where we scored more than our opponents, our winning percentage would be ZERO.

Another way of looking at it is this, which since we are in Montreal, is the only way of looking at things: how are we doing against Toronto? Again, this points to a season with a ZERO winning percentage.

Even if we look at the individual games, what we see is a disaster. The Habs are only able to score on a minority of their shots. Most of the time, the effort fails. In fact, in almost every game, believe it or not, these masters of futility have registered more icings than goals scored!!!!! That is pitiful.

Defensively, things are no better. Game after game, the opponents have been able to shoot on our net at least 17 times, sometimes over 30! And that is without counting the times they chose to shoot the puck at one of our defenders. How much longer can we go on scoring three goals per game while allowing an average of 25 shots against?????

Also, whatever limited success the club has is clearly the result of cheating. Not only have the officials penalized the club DOZENS of times, but according to the opposing team coaches, there were even additional infractions that went unnoticed. And, the truth be told, at least two of our goals this year were close to being offside, and several others were the result of the opposing goaltender missing the shot. We can't keep counting on such luck.

All in all, I am very pessimistic about this season. The only thing that gives me hope is that at the moment, we are still managing to be ahead of fourteen other teams, and they may not all have enough time to catch up to the points that the league has awarded to us up until now.
Ladies and gentlemen,
When my friends wonder where I get my wonderful sense of humor from, I always ask them:
"Have you met my father?"

SonOfA BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfA BaseballCoach View Post
Ladies and gentlemen,
When my friends wonder where I get my wonderful sense of humor from, I always ask them:
"Have you met my father?"
“... these masters of futility have registered more icings than goals scored!!!!! ...)

Off with their heads!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Thread title sums up the this thread. Is the team really this good, are they just peaking at the moment or is the easy schedule really the reason why they have a good record?

I hate polls, but I added one anyway.
This team is GOOD, I said it before the season, should be in the 5-8 range. May be overachieving a bit based on that, but I'm not completely shocked. We got back a lot of injured players(Gionta Moen White Markov), others bounced back(Price Bourque Pleks) , a few are coming into their own(Eller Emelin Diaz) plus they added grit(Prust Armstrong Bouillon) and skill(Gallagher Galchenyuk).

New coach and GM is also a positrive factor...new atttitude and playing tonthe team's strengths.

The schedule has been easIER than some but like everybody else it's a lot of games in short time. Can't say we only played weak teams we played Boston NYR Phillie. we have more home games but a better winning % on the road though...7-3-0(.700) vs 4-1-1(.750).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Overachieving + Easy Schedule.

Relative to the rest of the East, Habs have been healthy all season. Teams Habs face usually are missing at least one key player. The past three games alone: Skinner, Pitkanen, Gleason, Nash, Bryzgalov, Ruutu.

However, the start might be good enough to squeak into the playoffs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
We should remember that we're not leading by a lot of points. Its not entirely surprising that they are doing much better than last year however. The tank party should start cooking the crows.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Habs are competitive and "the real deal" in that sense. Combination of luck and easy schedule contribute to 1st in the East, and the Habs aren't "real" in that sense.

But of course Therrien is also keeping an ace up his sleeve by using Subban as the #6 d-man, so even when the schedule does get tougher our team can take another step up to counter the challenge.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Habtchum*

Good question.

Yes, they had an easier schedule than some, but they got successes and won games.

They were real confidence builder. It permitted the group to become a team.

They have learned to win. No one can take that from them.

Now, if they could win more games against the other teams of their own division,thatwould be great.

Last edited by Habtchum*: 02-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:42 PM
TheGoalJudge

The East is garbage. We're good because we have speed, are sound defensively and have a top goalie. And so far we're pretty consistent. No magic recipe here.

We're just playing better overall in most aspects then the rest of this terrible conference. Most other teams have some glaring holes. We don't seem to, for now.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
The East is garbage. We're good because we have speed, are sound defensively and have a top goalie. And so far we're pretty consistent. No magic recipe here.

We're just playing better overall in most aspects then the rest of this terrible conference. Most other teams have some glaring holes. We don't seem to, for now.
The conference will be tougher next year with Winnipeg potentially moving west and the Wings moving east.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I hope we get to experience that this season
Yeah. They can put us in our place, by making us play the winner
of the western conference. To really teach us a lesson, they should
make it a seven game series.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I think they are better than last season, but maybe they are over-achieving.

Their offense - Top 6 is pretty much the same. Bottom 6 has been touched up and re-polished and has contributed to hard work, momentum-shifting defensive play that this team was lacking last year.

Their defense - Outside of Markov being healthy and Bouillon coming in to play on the bottom pairing, this defense didn't change all that much. The biggest surprise is Diaz. Nobody expected him to be THIS good, which I guess you can credit to Subban not signing right away. With Subban signing before the start of the season, Diaz might not have gotten the chance to show what he can do, especially on the PP with Markov.
About Diaz getting extra icetime, because Subban was missing.
"Silver lining" for sure. I thought he was very impressive early last year.
But later he played injured for a while, and seemed to lose some of his
confidence. I think he's a top four D. Although his size makes that an issue
with the habs.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Plante

Even casual fans from other teams could tell it was an anomaly, don't see anyone here is surprised. Anyone seriously think we would be a bottom feeder two years straight?

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Zathronas

let's see...

last year

1st in man game lost to injuries
.297 in one goal game
no stable 2, 3 and 4 lines
bad managerial decisions

15th in east

This year

A healthy team (crossing fingers)
.625 in 1 goal games
A much more grittier and defensively stable bottom 6
New management

1st in the east

I'll go with Real Deal with a little overachieving mixed in

Last edited by Zathronas: 02-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Zathronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:21 PM
No Team Needed

Montreal is playing great with an easy schedule while Chicago is playing great with a difficult schedule.

A win is a win is a win.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
poetryinmotion

How can it be all of the above?

Anyways, yeah we are the real deal. After so many tight games that we come out of on top you have to believe it is more than just coincidence or having an easy schedule.

Saying it is an easy schedule is cheap too. Every team we think should beat us is a true test until we dispose of them, in which they become easy games because of hindsight... ? Can we just admit we were better?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
How can it be all of the above?

Anyways, yeah we are the real deal. After so many tight games that we come out of on top you have to believe it is more than just coincidence or having an easy schedule.

Saying it is an easy schedule is cheap too. Every team we think should beat us is a true test until we dispose of them, in which they become easy games because of hindsight... ? Can we just admit we were better?
It's not clear. Are you agreeing with "all the above", or mocking it?

Old
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Well how can we be the read deal and overachieve at the same time? Kind of contradictory.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Anyhow, I voted all. Had we played Bruins, NJ, and Pitt twice each, our
record could easily look worse. Of course, after Saturday we'll have played
the Rangers twice, and they are pretty tough.
Some of our players have over-achieved I think. But that may be off-set
by when Subban and MaxPac hit their stride.
And we have also improved as a team. I think everyone except a bitter
Leaf fan can see that. ( I'm not referring to you here)
But then our dismal season last year had many elements as well. We didn't
rate to be that bad.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We still haven't faced adversity. We've faced good teams but they pretty much beat themselves - Philly, Jersey, the Rags and the Sens. We haven't had our matchups exploited on the road so much either.

I'll take it but the team has a way to go before it's firing on all cylinders - the PP needs to wake up and 3 players of our top6 need to get their heads out of their read-ends.
I consider the Flyers to be a middle of the pack team, not really better than the Habs. In fact, I think the Habs have a better chance of advancing in the playoffs. Holmgren's trades haven't panned out.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Well how can we be the read deal and overachieve at the same time? Kind of contradictory.
Reality is rarely "one or the other". Recognizing that most situations
have multiple inputs, is not contradictory.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I'd say it's all of the above.

You expect to see strange things happen in the first 20-25 games of a season. Last year for example Minnesota and Toronto were world beaters and then just went away. The difference is that this season a slow or hot start can make a huge difference due to the shortened schedule.

I also think that we've been helped out big time by not playing against Western teams. The West is the powerhouse conference and I don't think there's any way we'd have the record we do now if we were playing against them. The East is a mess this year... Philly, Washington, Rangers... none are playing very well and even the Leafs are looking playoff bound.

That being said, give credit where it's due. Price has been stellar. Galchenyuk has made a huge addition and Markov has definitely made a difference. We're better than last year and the other teams have inexplicably gotten worse. Add in the wonky season and it is what it is. I expect we'll level off but even if we do, we'd really have to screw up not to make the playoffs now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
McTusk

I’ve been routinely saying I won’t really trust them until around 30ish games in, still stand by that, being very cautious here.

And people excited about 1st in the East is silly at this point, I’ve seen this team, and a few versions of them do the same thing, great start taper off. It’s nice to see, the Habs are getting a good head start on a possible playoff spot, but there is still a ways to go.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote