HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anaheim Signs Viktor Fasth to 2 year extension [$2.9 million AAV]

Old
02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Hiller to the Leafs?

PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
wow.. way too early. i was glad they signed hiim but 2.9m is a lot for an unproven NHL goalie

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Just curious was fasth braught in by Brian Burke ?

Edit: nvm I don't know why I thought he was with the ducks for longer then this year

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Hiller to the Leafs?
I knew this would eventually be brought up ughhh

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Cue the Hiller to (insert team needing goaltending) rumors.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
wow.. way too early. i was glad they signed hiim but 2.9m is a lot for an unproven NHL goalie

He was an elite goaltender in the SEL. He's shown that even if he won't dominate the league, he can still handle himself in net. 2.9 is money that backups get. Fasth obviously has the potential to be more than that. If he ends up going Steve Mason on us, that's still a palatable contract.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
It's like people think Fasth started his hockey career January 19th
Well no, but with the crash-and-burn signings of Brunnstrom and Gustavsson, two other SEL stars who were "slam dunks" to translate to the NHL, Fasth is no guarantee himself either.

Anyway to me this seems like exactly the wrong time to sign him, but it could pay off big. Gamble by the Ducks, but not a huge one.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well no, but with the crash-and-burn signings of Brunnstrom and Gustavsson, two other SEL stars who were "slam dunks" to translate to the NHL, Fasth is no guarantee himself either.

Anyway to me this seems like exactly the wrong time to sign him, but it could pay off big. Gamble by the Ducks, but not a huge one.
I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. Even if he messes up...I mean we've had more cap dollars invested in far more useless players (Jason Blake for one. 4 million for a guy who drove the net hard a lot)

My take is he can't be much worse than a serviceable backup.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:57 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
By all accounts, Anaheim is not a team that will spend to the cap anyway. They have never spent more than 59 M since the last lockout from what I can tell and they are usually around 55 M in payroll.

If you are paying Getzlaf and Perry 8M + each next season, spending 13% of a 55 M payroll on goaltending could be problematic.
Its kind of a damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Yes, there's an internal cap because we're not a big draw so we don't spend to the cap. But if we don't keep stars like Getzlaf and Perry we definitely won't draw fans. Its an ongoing argument on the board, you gotta spend to get fans but you gotta have fans to spend.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Fasth has done more in the NHL in 8 games, or even 4 games, than those two did their entire careers.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:

He was an elite goaltender in the SEL. He's shown that even if he won't dominate the league, he can still handle himself in net. 2.9 is money that backups get. Fasth obviously has the potential to be more than that. If he ends up going Steve Mason on us, that's still a palatable contract.
i said unproven NHL goaltender.. i said nothing about him being a rookie with no professional experience..

and 2.9 is not money that the backups get. find me a team where the backups get 2.9M. The only goalie tandem I can think of where the second goalie gets over 2.9m is vancouver, and thats because they have 2 starting goaltenders. A 2.9M cap hit is actually more expensive than some goalie TANDEMS across the league.

Fasth has shown SO FAR that he can do that, but he's definitely unproven as he only has 8 games in the NHL. If he ends up becoming steve mason that is an absolutely horrid contract for us. we are not a CAP TEAM. we still have getzlaf and perry to sign.

nowhere did I say that this was an AWFUL SIGNING. all I said was that to give him this much money ALREADY after only 8 games is really really EARLY.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
i said unproven NHL goaltender.. i said nothing about him being a rookie with no professional experience..

and 2.9 is not money that the backups get. find me a team where the backups get 2.9M. The only goalie tandem I can think of where the second goalie gets over 2.9m is vancouver, and thats because they have 2 starting goaltenders. A 2.9M cap hit is actually more expensive than some goalie TANDEMS across the league.

Fasth has shown SO FAR that he can do that, but he's definitely unproven as he only has 8 games in the NHL. If he ends up becoming steve mason that is an absolutely horrid contract for us. we are not a CAP TEAM. we still have getzlaf and perry to sign.

nowhere did I say that this was an AWFUL SIGNING. all I said was that to give him this much money ALREADY after only 8 games is really really EARLY.
2.9 isn't as harsh as the 8 million or so we were paying for useless players.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Good for ANA.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:08 PM
FireBylsma
Palmebjörk & Doktorn

Quote:
I think they aren't going to rush Gibson. Andersen is looking terrific. He'll probably serve as back up to Fasth if Hiller gets traded until Gibson is good and seasoned.

And being the first goalie since Lundqvist to be the SEL goalie of the year?
This isn't money for a starter. It's money for a good back up. He's shown that at worst he can be a very capable back up. I think he deserves the money. If he proved himself any more down the line he could have fetched 5+
What are you talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honken_Trophy
5 goalies have been that between Lundqvist and fasth.

FireBylsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Love this for the Ducks, think this is going to turn into a team friendly deal for them.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
2.9 isn't as harsh as the 8 million or so we were paying for useless players.
First of all I dont know who you're referring to, but at least skaters play. We could have 2.9 sitting on the bench doing nothing and we are a salary team.

Your earlier post indicated blake, where we only paid him 3M in salary, his cap hit doesn't matter for us because we aren't a cap hit. Not to mention he wasn't useless, he was great on the forecheck and was one of the guys that played with his heart on his sleeve night in and night out. He didn't produce a whole lot of stats for us, but our record without him and with him was like night and day. Coincedence? maybe... but there's no doubt that we were better with him in the lineup getting in on the forecheck and creating room for selanne and koivu than without him

Old
02-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens17fan View Post
Pretty sure he meant to add "in consecutive years", but just forgot.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens17fan View Post
I meant in consecutive years.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
First of all I dont know who you're referring to, but at least skaters play. We could have 2.9 sitting on the bench doing nothing and we are a salary team.

Your earlier post indicated blake, where we only paid him 3M in salary, his cap hit doesn't matter for us because we aren't a cap hit. Not to mention he wasn't useless, he was great on the forecheck and was one of the guys that played with his heart on his sleeve night in and night out. He didn't produce a whole lot of stats for us, but our record without him and with him was like night and day. Coincedence? maybe... but there's no doubt that we were better with him in the lineup getting in on the forecheck and creating room for selanne and koivu than without him
Whatever man. Personally I think Fasth is gonna show you that you're getting worked up for nothing, but we'll just have to see.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Gibson to Leafs?

02-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Old Man Barking

I think the money tied up in both goalies will be an issue. The Ducks have tons of cap space, but as Ducks fans know, our owners impose an internal cap.

And frankly, the way Perry has been playing, it's looking like he won't re-sign with us so I guess that means less to worry about financially.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
and 2.9 is not money that the backups get. find me a team where the backups get 2.9M.
With Fasth getting $3.4M in the second year, there's no question that the Ducks have no intention of having him as a back-up by then. At worst, they seem as the more expensive veteran in a duo at that point in time.

Quote:
Fasth has shown SO FAR that he can do that, but he's definitely unproven as he only has 8 games in the NHL. If he ends up becoming steve mason that is an absolutely horrid contract for us.
Well, if he ends up becoming Steve Mason, we did a horrible job scouting him and made a huge mistake. But that isn't how things work. We are not talking about scouting for a fantasy league, looking what guys can be expected to put up long-term. What he shows on the ice is what's being evaluated. Your "so far" is completely misplaced. There's goaltenders going on hot streaks, posting back-to-back shutouts while making spectacular saves left and right that they won't always do. Fasth isn't doing that. He's playing calm, sound, simply well, and the way the Ducks have seen him play for almost two years now. The Ducks certainly have a pretty solid basis to make an educated guess about what he can do and what he can't.

If an NHL organisation needs much longer to get an idea about whether or not they think a guy is good at playing his position in hockey, they are not very good at their jobs.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Gibson to Leafs?
Grrr...

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote