HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Darcy?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I really like Darcy and I think this team is better than the record. His attachment to his coach is going to he fatal and its too bad. He believes in people changing, not changing people, but Darcy, don't you realize that changing people would be you changing, which is what you said you believe in? Down with the ship

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

So with Ruff gone, what's the timeline on Darcy now? Does he get until the end of the season? A season or two with a new coach?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
So with Ruff gone, what's the timeline on Darcy now? Does he get until the end of the season? A season or two with a new coach?
I expect he'll get until the end of the season and then he has his golden parachute contract to fall back on.

02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Darcy said the effort against Winnipeg was a tipping point as far as relieving Ruff.

What will be The tipping point that seals the deal on Darcy's fate?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Darcy said the effort against Winnipeg was a tipping point as far as relieving Ruff.

He won't go anywhere until the summer would be my guess.

Does he do the draft, then get fired? Or get fired pre-draft..... Questions questions.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
ROR
fka BCS

A new GM by the trade deadline would be nice. Alas, not happening.

ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
He won't go anywhere until the summer would be my guess.

Does he do the draft, then get fired? Or get fired pre-draft..... Questions questions.
No doubt...a lot of questions.

You know what scares me? Darcy feels the heat and makes some ridiculous trades that gut us of our youngsters in an effort to save his job.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Ace1963

So much for the theory that big, bad meany Ruff scared the widdle players from showing how much talent they have.

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post

Good question.

Unless Regier is going to stick around for a period of a few years to come, the timing of his firing will be important.

He needs to be gone before lots of other things can fall into place (if he's going).

In that sense, the sooner the better.

Having said that, if he is going at all (in the near term) I see him going at season's end and not before, almost regardless of the team's performance for the remainder of the year.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
It's a weird situation. I like most of Regier's moves since Pegula took over. From a talent/potential perspective, I still think the Sabres are, at the very least, decent. Yes, there are some holes like veteran presence at center in the top-6. But how is the GM to blame for a roster that gives 50% effort for 60% the game most nights, which IMO is the biggest problem?

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Daz28

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
It's a weird situation. I like most of Regier's moves since Pegula took over. From a talent/potential perspective, I still think the Sabres are, at the very least, decent. Yes, there are some holes like veteran presence at center in the top-6. But how is the GM to blame for a roster that gives 50% effort for 60% the game most nights, which IMO is the biggest problem?
Because the GM is responsible for bringing these guys in. Do you want us to get the guys with the whip and drums in Ben Hur's rowing scene as coaches to get 100% out of them?

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
hizzoner

Regier has thrown Pegula's money around as if --well god knows. Who has Regier given the Pegula millions to who has shown he deserves them>
? Myers? Leino? Stafford? Erhoff? As a fan I probably would have made all those moves except Leino who I did not know enough about to pay big bucks. Regier's signings better work out value wise or he should be gone.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Regier has thrown Pegula's money around as if --well god knows. Who has Regier given the Pegula millions to who has shown he deserves them>
? Myers? Leino? Stafford? Erhoff? As a fan I probably would have made all those moves except Leino who I did not know enough about to pay big bucks. Regier's signings better work out value wise or he should be gone.
Yes but in all fairness, Buffalo is a tough sell to a lot of players.

To an extent, Regier has been forced to overpay to start the ball rolling. It's a loss leader. It's like what FOX did years ago with the NFL. They overpaid a ton to put the FOX name on the national broadcasting map by forcing people to come to the network to watch their beloved NFL games.

In theory, after we overpay long enough, we establish the winning machine Pegula and Black speak of wanting to establish. And then it is much easier to attract top talent, and then the overpaying stops.

I don't particularly hold high salaries against Regier. I question his player/prospect judgment and selection, and the formula he has followed to build a team. There is no formula here at all. We have no defining makeup and are comprised of a bunch of ill-fitting parts.

That's all on Regier.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Daz28

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
Yes but in all fairness, Buffalo is a tough sell to a lot of players.

To an extent, Regier has been forced to overpay to start the ball rolling. It's a loss leader. It's like what FOX did years ago with the NFL. They overpaid a ton to put the FOX name on the national broadcasting map by forcing people to come to the network to watch their beloved NFL games.

In theory, after we overpay long enough, we establish the winning machine Pegula and Black speak of wanting to establish. And then it is much easier to attract top talent, and then the overpaying stops.

I don't particularly hold high salaries against Regier. I question his player/prospect judgment and selection, and the formula he has followed to build a team. There is no formula here at all. We have no defining makeup and are comprised of a bunch of ill-fitting parts.

That's all on Regier.
Ya, we should have been wiser when we needed a center, yet grabbed Leino claiming he was a center, when he wasn't. Bad choice/bad fit. Luckily, we can bury him in the cat litter. That amnesty buyout isn't fair to GM's that didn't screw up, tho.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Ya, we should have been wiser when we needed a center, yet grabbed Leino claiming he was a center, when he wasn't. Bad choice/bad fit. Luckily, we can bury him in the cat litter. That amnesty buyout isn't fair to GM's that didn't screw up, tho.
Yes, Leino is a good example of Regier's methodology. A wrong fitting part for what the team needed.

Or how about the plan to trade off Roy, but not replace him?

Or the plan to get rid of Gaustad and what he brings to the team, and then not replace him?

And then the plan to have COHO and Ennis as your top 2 centers, assuming that would actually work? Regehr was used up by the time we added him, blah blah blah.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:45 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
? Myers? Leino? Stafford? Ehrhoff? As a fan I probably would have made all those moves except Leino who I did not know enough about to pay big bucks. Regier's signings better work out value wise or he should be gone.
One of these things is not like the other....

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:55 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Give Darcy Terry money a few years ago and we'd still have Briere, Campbell maybe a still playing Drury on the team.

It's hard to turn a team around, when basically no top FA is coming here. But I don't care, as long as we're getting a good GM and not some ****tard I'm good.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I really stopped buying the effort thing years ago.

The effort might've been an issue in 2007, when the team was obviously good enough to beat anyone... Then they took half a game off, and still came back to beat people 7-3 etc. (God those were good times, every game was freaking exciting as hell)

But really, the rosters since simply weren't good enough to do anything with them (outside of Miller's freak year, which coincided with Myers' rookie year and Hecht, Goose and Grier leading the PK #1 in the league).

This current roster is so mediocre, it's simply mindnumbing that people can't see through it.

Worse, while our prospect pool is decent, it really is nothing to write home about... For example, they're ranked 13th on HF, but even that might be a bit too high.

IMO, it's time for a breaking point. Ruff's gone, now do away with Regier and hopefully they do no silly 8-game winning streaks in March to catch 10th, but stay rock bottom and get MacKinnon or Jones.
Half a season really isn't too much to pay for a potential franchise revival, seeing as how Pittsburgh took 5 years of sucking and Edmonton is still in suck mode.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Because the GM is responsible for bringing these guys in. Do you want us to get the guys with the whip and drums in Ben Hur's rowing scene as coaches to get 100% out of them?
Obviously, but it's not like most of them are known to have compete problems before they come here. That was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I really stopped buying the effort thing years ago.

The effort might've been an issue in 2007, when the team was obviously good enough to beat anyone... Then they took half a game off, and still came back to beat people 7-3 etc. (God those were good times, every game was freaking exciting as hell)

But really, the rosters since simply weren't good enough to do anything with them (outside of Miller's freak year, which coincided with Myers' rookie year and Hecht, Goose and Grier leading the PK #1 in the league).

This current roster is so mediocre, it's simply mindnumbing that people can't see through it.

Worse, while our prospect pool is decent, it really is nothing to write home about... For example, they're ranked 13th on HF, but even that might be a bit too high.

IMO, it's time for a breaking point. Ruff's gone, now do away with Regier and hopefully they do no silly 8-game winning streaks in March to catch 10th, but stay rock bottom and get MacKinnon or Jones.
Half a season really isn't too much to pay for a potential franchise revival, seeing as how Pittsburgh took 5 years of sucking and Edmonton is still in suck mode.
I still think that effort is a problem. Look back to how they were playing last year during their run. Or, go watch any college hockey game. Or, watch other teams in the NHL. These guys don't move their feet enough, and that's especially true of the forwards with respect to defensive play.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Zip15

As I've said for weeks, Regier had a terrible summer. We were fortunate to get Grigs, he made a nice move to get Girgs, he traded Roy to much applause from the fanbase, and then he called it a summer. He thought a non-playoff team didn't need any other work beyond those moves and to have a little more fortune on the injury front. He failed to recognize why we were successful down the stretch--the three center approach of Hodgson-Roy-Ennis worked well--and then broke that up and did nothing to remedy it. Our bottom-6 sucks, and he sat idle while good veteran role players went off the board to other teams.

Now, we're hurting the development of arguably the organization's most prized asset, guys have been taken out of roles that best suit their talents--e.g., Stafford as a shutdown, two-way forward? Ehrhoff as a shutdown defenseman? Ennis, for a time, being used as the shutdown center?--and this team is a bunch of mismatched parts. That all falls on the GM.

I had frequently defended Darcy in the past. He's made some nice moves on paper. But this isn't working anymore. It's time for a new set of eyes at the top.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:06 AM
SabresFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
As I've said for weeks, Regier had a terrible summer. We were fortunate to get Grigs, he made a nice move to get Girgs, he traded Roy to much applause from the fanbase, and then he called it a summer. He thought a non-playoff team didn't need any other work beyond those moves and to have a little more fortune on the injury front. He failed to recognize why we were successful down the stretch--the three center approach of Hodgson-Roy-Ennis worked well--and then broke that up and did nothing to remedy it. Our bottom-6 sucks, and he sat idle while good veteran role players went off the board to other teams.

Now, we're hurting the development of arguably the organization's most prized asset, guys have been taken out of roles that best suit their talents--e.g., Stafford as a shutdown, two-way forward? Ehrhoff as a shutdown defenseman? Ennis, for a time, being used as the shutdown center?--and this team is a bunch of mismatched parts. That all falls on the GM.

I had frequently defended Darcy in the past. He's made some nice moves on paper. But this isn't working anymore. It's time for a new set of eyes at the top.
Agreed, wish we had gotten Jarmo

SabresFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Agreed, wish we had gotten Jarmo
Still plenty of good options. I'm hoping for Nill or Hextall this summer. Nill probably wants to run his own ship at some point, and he's a loyal guy and would probably go to the Eastern Conference so as not to compete as much with the Red Wings--assuming they stay in the Western Conference.

I think the Buffalo GM gig may be more attractive than some might thing. You're likely to have a high pick in a draft that's good at the top. You've got an owner who'd rather not fire people and will hold off as long as possible. The job security is solid. And you know he'll spend to win. I don't think there'll be any shortage of qualified candidates.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Eichel 9

I don't know how anyone can say Darcy isn't at fault when the Sabres are top 10 in payroll and the team has this many holes despite of spending so much.

Eichel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Darcy will not be fired this offseason regardless of how the team finishes.

It's just not happening. Maybe next off-season if they once again fail to make the playoffs.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
slip

With Ruff out of the picture, it's only a matter of time before Pegula realizes this roster -- and thus the GM -- is wearing no clothes.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote