HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Overachieving, The Real Deal or Easy Schedule?

View Poll Results: How would you explain the recent success?
Over-Achieving 41 19.16%
Easy Schedule 28 13.08%
The Real Deal 55 25.70%
All of the Above 90 42.06%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Habaddict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I consider the Flyers to be a middle of the pack team, not really better than the Habs. In fact, I think the Habs have a better chance of advancing in the playoffs. Holmgren's trades haven't panned out.
Have they not been unlucky with injuries as well ? Still that team has
found ways to self-destruct so often over the years, that if you get great
odds, bet them to finish last. It's more likely than the the habs this year,
at least.

Last edited by Habaddict: 02-20-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Habtchum*

Lasy season they were not as bad as their 15th place (tons of injuries, bad coaches' change), and this year , they are not as good as a #1 Conference leader.

But winning tight games and being successful right now whatever the schedule, is a great confidence builder. + They have one of the best goalie in the league to back them up. They won't have very long losing stretches. The three game loosing streak doesn't indicate anything. Only the game vs TO was really awful.

If they play .500 hockey until the end - remaining 32 games - they gonna make the playoffs.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
ryanwb

Philly is tanking for Seth Jones since they missed the boat on Weber.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Since the start of the season. 4 of those teams are out of the top8, Washington being LAST in the league and Buffalo being 13th. Tampa is barely hanging on, NJ being the only real threat.

Some of them will get better as the season goes on, but right now their start is just awful and are losing games a lot more than they are winning, so yes the "Easy Schedule" thing is legit.
But again, I don't consider that to be an 'easy schedule' -- that's just how the EC is this year. We've played practically every team in the conference, so how can the schedule have been easier for us than any other team, since we're all playing the same teams? The only strong team we haven't played yet is Pittsburgh.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
I’ve been routinely saying I won’t really trust them until around 30ish games in, still stand by that, being very cautious here.

And people excited about 1st in the East is silly at this point, I’ve seen this team, and a few versions of them do the same thing, great start taper off. It’s nice to see, the Habs are getting a good head start on a possible playoff spot, but there is still a ways to go.
That is a good way to look at it. In a normal season I start being really
impressed, or depressed, around game 40. But this season's good start has
a lot of weight.

Last edited by Habaddict: 02-20-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Even casual fans from other teams could tell it was an anomaly, don't see anyone here is surprised. Anyone seriously think we would be a bottom feeder two years straight?
Yes. And no, it wasn't likely to happen twice in a row.

The question remains. Is this an anomaly in the other direction?
And is it of the same magnitude?

Old
02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
lamp9post

Guys, the entire schedule is easy. We never play Western teams this year and the east is wide open. Sure, we haven't played the Penguins yet, but other than that we've beaten or competed with (in Boston's case) the best the conference has to offer.

I guess I'd choose all of the above. It is an easy schedule, but the good news is that it's not getting any tougher. That doesn't mean other teams won't improve in the meantime, however.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Philly is tanking for Seth Jones since they missed the boat on Weber.
Imagining Flyer fans watching their team tank is good for the soul.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Guys, the entire schedule is easy. We never play Western teams this year and the east is wide open. Sure, we haven't played the Penguins yet, but other than that we've beaten or competed with (in Boston's case) the best the conference has to offer.

I guess I'd choose all of the above. It is an easy schedule, but the good news is that it's not getting any tougher. That doesn't mean other teams won't improve in the meantime, however.
I also thought we were very competitive against Boston. On the flip-side,
we've look terrible for stretches against weaker teams as well. C'est la guerre.

Did I spell that right?

Old
02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:

1- The schedule ain't easy. For nobody. Try to play 4-5 games a week.

2- Habs have generally good games and successes against Western Division teams.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
poetryinmotion

Boston should be first in the east anyway, they can gain an other potential 6 points and need only 4 to pass us. Of course, I know they still have to play those games, and they are due for some losses hopefully.

We are pretty tough to play against these past few games, what Therrien wanted. I think we are pretty accurately ranked, imo. If you want to talk about injuries and what not, we have been missing Subban, Paches and Gallagher for some games too but found ways to win. Our secret game breaking weapon on offense being Galchenyuk.

An other reason we are winning games is Price. I have been reading that he hasn't stolen any games for us yet.. While that might be true in a sense, he did keep us in those games all the way til the end and gives us more than a fair chance of winning each night. And when it's time to shut the door he can do that too which is important.

I just feel that from top to bottom we are a very good group, definitely a playoff team and maybe more.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Even casual fans from other teams could tell it was an anomaly, don't see anyone here is surprised. Anyone seriously think we would be a bottom feeder two years straight?
Sure. Why not?

Cole was coming off a career year, not hard to see that he'd come back to earth. Markov was a big question mark. Bourque looked like crap. Galchenyuk was expected to play next year...

Tons of reasons to think that we'd suck this year. I had us as a bubble team but let's be honest, it wasn't a stretch to think the team could crash and burn again.

Price has been aces and that's helped greatly. Markov has been healthy and effective. Cole went away but Bourque is better and Galchenyuk has been among our best forwards. Combine that with a terrible Conference and you've got yourself a playoff team.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:37 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i think we finish 4-6 this year. and all of the above.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Boston should be first in the east anyway, they can gain an other potential 6 points and need only 4 to pass us. Of course, I know they still have to play those games, and they are due for some losses hopefully.

We are pretty tough to play against these past few games, what Therrien wanted. I think we are pretty accurately ranked, imo. If you want to talk about injuries and what not, we have been missing Subban, Paches and Gallagher for some games too but found ways to win. Our secret game breaking weapon on offense being Galchenyuk.

An other reason we are winning games is Price. I have been reading that he hasn't stolen any games for us yet.. While that might be true in a sense, he did keep us in those games all the way til the end and gives us more than a fair chance of winning each night. And when it's time to shut the door he can do that too which is important.

I just feel that from top to bottom we are a very good group, definitely a playoff team and maybe more.
You're right about Boston. They have a better winning %.
And Price has continually made us look better that maybe we should.
And he is part of our team, so that's legitimate.
But it is Pittsburg that belongs in our slot, and likely will be there soon.

Galchenyuk is our secret weapon, if you're planning next year's parade.
I am.

Last edited by Habaddict: 02-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
You're right about Boston. They have a better winning %.
And Price has continually made us look better that maybe we should.
And he is part of our team, so that legitimate.
But it is Pittsburg that belongs in our slot, and likely will be there soon.

Galchenyuk is our secret weapon, if you're planning next year's parade.
I am.
Pittsburgh had an easier schedule
Too bad we only play them 5 games from now, hopefully we are in the same positions by then.

As for Galchenyuk, he is putting some enormous expectations on himself for next year because he is just so damn good right now and has the points to show for it too. Once he starts scoring goals too, fuggedaboutit. And with so little ice time too, unbelievable. Heard he shows up an hour before everyone else to practice too to work on things, Timmins wasn't kidding about that work ethic. I'm going to stop taking about him because I'm just gonna sound like a silly school girl in love..

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

The irony of the ''easy schedule'' excuse for winning is that we're supposed to be the easy team!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
1- The schedule ain't easy. For nobody. Try to play 4-5 games a week.

2- Habs have generally good games and successes against Western Division teams.
Obviously the compressed schedule will wear on all players, but look at the schedule and show me a week full of opponents you don't want to play.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:08 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Obviously the compressed schedule will wear on all players, but look at the schedule and show me a week full of opponents you don't want to play.
Could that be perhaps because we are currently leading the eastern conference?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Pittsburgh had an easier schedule
Too bad we only play them 5 games from now, hopefully we are in the same positions by then.

As for Galchenyuk, he is putting some enormous expectations on himself for next year because he is just so damn good right now and has the points to show for it too. Once he starts scoring goals too, fuggedaboutit. And with so little ice time too, unbelievable. Heard he shows up an hour before everyone else to practice too to work on things, Timmins wasn't kidding about that work ethic. I'm going to stop taking about him because I'm just gonna sound like a silly school girl in love..
A fan's only obligation is to cheer. So all good.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Could that be perhaps because we are currently leading the eastern conference?
That might have something to do with it, but to be honest I'm just not impressed with the East so far. In our division Buffalo is in a tailspin and Ottawa is missing their 2 stars and could start fading. In the Atlantic, Philly is struggling, the Islanders are always in the basement and we've already beaten NYR and Jersey. Then there is the Southeast, who's best teams are mediocre at best. That's a large majority of the schedule. Sure, there might be a week with a Boston or Pittsburgh peppered in, and I'm not looking forward to playing Toronto again.

My point is that the East this year just doesn't look great so far and each game is winnable. Teams can still turn it around though.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Lshap

Quote:

Price has most definitely stolen games by finding a laser-beam focus he's never had before. He's smothered shots that would've been juicy rebounds, he's blocked shots through a maze of players that very few other goalies could've seen, let alone stopped. I've never been a Price groupie, always liked him but never saw the elite goalie others did. But this year he's shown it, he's proving that he is elite. He has arrived.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Going into this season I was one of the more optimistic posters about our chances to be a playoff team. We have a very good group of d-men and an elite goaltender but are pretty mediocre up front. The team is still undersized but there is alot of heart, grit and leadership that should be enough to get us into the playoffs barring potential injury woes.

That being said, this team is absolutely over achieving as it simply is not the best team in the eastern conference. There will inevitably be a rough stretch and the true test of this team will be to see how they handle that and rebound from it.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Overachieving; we need to fix the PP for it to be the real deal.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
That might have something to do with it, but to be honest I'm just not impressed with the East so far. In our division Buffalo is in a tailspin and Ottawa is missing their 2 stars and could start fading. In the Atlantic, Philly is struggling, the Islanders are always in the basement and we've already beaten NYR and Jersey. Then there is the Southeast, who's best teams are mediocre at best. That's a large majority of the schedule. Sure, there might be a week with a Boston or Pittsburgh peppered in, and I'm not looking forward to playing Toronto again.
My point is that the East this year just doesn't look great so far and each game is winnable. Teams can still turn it around though.
We are a better team than Toronto from top to bottom. Their collective horseshoe falls out in our next meeting.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Overachieving; we need to fix the PP for it to be the real deal.
The play on the points of the PP has been strong. And we are seeing more
net crashing, than sometimes in the past. But we lack real finishers, beyond
MaxPac. It is here that the two Gallys could maybe play more.
Still the PP looks dangerous enough. So I imagine It'll come around.