HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 01:34 PM
hitmen19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
thornton is a thing of the past or what? still playing great hockey, could see him making some down right disturbing plays on a big ice, also wouldnt be against the real fast young guys (hall, duchene) being on this team, will be interesting to see how things unfold next year
i watched the spengler cup where he played for davos, he was alright, kane was the show there. i don't think he will be cut out for it. in torino he looked out of place, and he was in his prime then

Old
02-19-2013, 01:37 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmen19 View Post
i watched the spengler cup where he played for davos, he was alright, kane was the show there. i don't think he will be cut out for it. in torino he looked out of place, and he was in his prime then
Frankly, he's still a good player but has been passed by Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Eric Staal and Toews (and obviously Crosby). Not to mention Getzlaf, who's a better play at this stage in his career than Thornton when he's on his game.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The minute I saw that goal Ward let in last night, I knew we'd be in for months of comments like these.

Never mind that the Olympics are a year from now, and that goal has nothing to do with anything. It's going to be the go-to YT from this point forward for people who haven't watched a Hurricanes game in years, but are uncomfortable with him challenging their home team favorite.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

The consensus is

Price . Luongo.

The 3rd goalie will be a reward, to whoever looks good this year.
Also a goalie who doesn't mind being a cheerleader.

Heck if Marty is the guy, I wouldn't mind having in the stands cheering us on. All while getting the chance at another Gold.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
JackBauer

In order:

Price
Luongo
Brodeur
Ward
Smith
Every other Canadian goalie in the league
Fleury

Old
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
bdawg1989*

Reimer
Scrivens

Old
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Luongo gets the start. That's team Canada's MO. However, if he's not playing well, I could see Price taking
over.

Price has not ever out preformed Lu, so I don't see him getting the starting job to begin with.
This is what I see happening. Luongo's the old guard, and provided he's still playing at his current level this time next year, he'll be the starter. If he falters, it's the same scenario we saw in 2010 with Luongo and Brodeur - Price takes over.

The three goalies I see Canada taking are Luongo, Price and Ward.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Kip96

I would be confident with either Luongo/Price

If any other goalie starts, Canada doesn't even medal

Old
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
rs180216

Send a message via AIM to rs180216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
You better go into witness protection for posting such blasphemy on here
its too late, i already backtraced his internet.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Treefingers
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by I NJdevils30 I View Post
Been thinking about this lately and i feel like its a pretty big issue for them. I have no idea who theyre gonna pick, to me theres no clear choice and I know Marty wants to go but i know you guys dont want him haha, so who do you guys think itll be? Id go with Ward, Price and Dubnyk

Yeah, let's put in Dubnyk instead of Luongo. That makes so much ****ing sense.

Luongo will be the starter for the team. If he falters they'll go to Price.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

This is Hockey Canada we're talking about...I fully predict that Luongo will initially be the started and Price will only take over if Luongo looks bad.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Libérée, Délivrée

1) Carey Price
2) Roberto Luongo
3) Mike Smith (inevitable homer call)

Old
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Luongo starts the Olympics, Price cleans up if Luongo fails, and either Fleury or Ward get to watch from the press box and get a free trip to Sochi to do nothing.

Seriously, has there ever been a situation in the Olympics where the 3rd goalie has seen ice time?

Old
02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Luongo starts the Olympics, Price cleans up if Luongo fails, and either Fleury or Ward get to watch from the press box and get a free trip to Sochi to do nothing.

Seriously, has there ever been a situation in the Olympics where the 3rd goalie has seen ice time?
They always see a game in the prelim

Old
02-19-2013, 04:32 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If the only thing you have that supports Ward is something that happened nearly a decade before the 2014 Olympics, then why not this goalie?

Alright how about the fact that from 2008-2009 to 2011-2012 Ward is 5th in games played (most among Canadians), 3rd in saves (most among Canadians), 8th in SV% (2nd most among Canadians behind Luongo). I think Cam Ward will be the 3rd goalie at best but he still absolutely deserves it over someone like MAF.

Fleury is one of the most un-clutch goalies I've ever seen (and he's nothing special normally anyways). In his 6 trips to the playoffs, he has had a horrible, under .900SV% 4 times, had one below average Cup winning performance, and one playoffs where he admittedly played really good when the Pens lost in the SCF. Dating back to his first playoff appearance, he is 19th out of 21(in front of Bryzgalov and Emery) in SV% among goalies who have played 20 or more games in that timespan.

His international track record in important games is pretty horrendous too.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:06 PM
JackSlater

The third goaltender has basically no chance of playing. I wouldn't mind seeing Brodeur in this role as long as he is somewhat competent in 2014, and he agrees beforehand to accept a non-playing role. He has been involved in 4 previous Olympic tournaments, and 6 best on best tournaments. Could be some valuable off ice experience from someone who seems like a good guy (just don't ask his ex wife) on a team that projects to be pretty young.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:

2006 olympics:

The Czechs goaltenders: 1. Hasek, 2. Vokoun, 3. Hnilicka

Hasek was hurt and Vokoun was replaced by Hnilicka through the game against Canada. Then Hnilicka played the QF game against Slovakia.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:04 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Alright how about the fact that from 2008-2009 to 2011-2012 Ward is 5th in games played (most among Canadians), 3rd in saves (most among Canadians), 8th in SV% (2nd most among Canadians behind Luongo). I think Cam Ward will be the 3rd goalie at best but he still absolutely deserves it over someone like MAF.

Fleury is one of the most un-clutch goalies I've ever seen (and he's nothing special normally anyways). In his 6 trips to the playoffs, he has had a horrible, under .900SV% 4 times, had one below average Cup winning performance, and one playoffs where he admittedly played really good when the Pens lost in the SCF. Dating back to his first playoff appearance, he is 19th out of 21(in front of Bryzgalov and Emery) in SV% among goalies who have played 20 or more games in that timespan.

His international track record in important games is pretty horrendous too.
Where does Ward rank since the 2010 Olympics? Because he didn't make that team, so what he did before those Olympics doesn't really matter IMO. Has he done anything to make his stock rise since? He certainly looked bad playing for team Canada at the WHC last year.

I agree Fleury probably shouldn't be their either. We definitely need to make sure there aren't any injuries to Luongo or Fleury or else we're screwed.

02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
86Habs

Ahhh, the old Luongo vs. Price (vs. Ward vs. Fleury) debates. Goaltending uncertainty had been an issue for us going into this season, so can't we all just be happy that both Luongo and Price are playing like elite #1 goaltenders at the moment and that our goaltending should be in relatively safe hands in Sochi, no matter who starts? My guess is that it will be Luongo getting the benefit of the doubt and starting (Hockey Canada has historically started the veteran goalie, even if the guy waiting in the wings is player better), but of course a lot has to do with the remainder of this season, playoffs, and the start of next season. With the Habs leading their division, I'm looking forward to seeing what Price can do in the playoffs.

Further, the 3rd goalie shouldn't see any ice time, certainly. I can't remember a best-on-best tournament game when Canada's 3rd goalie ever played. So whether its Ward or Fleury (or, to Jack's point - Brodeur - which would be very intriguing) is pretty much meaningless, so long as whoever it is is OK with his role on the team and doesn't create any issues in the locker room. Ward and Fleury seem like decent enough guys that they'd accept that role without issue. Guess the same goes for whoever the #14 forward and #8 defenceman are.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:23 AM
86Habs

Quote:

Not for Canada, no.

2010 - Fleury
2006 - Turco
2004 - Theodore
2002 - Belfour
1998 - Joseph

And so on.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:10 AM
BCShark

luongo obviously gets the starting roll, lets not be silly

Old
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
86Habs

Should we be talking about Matt Duchene? Too early? Of all the young guns seriously vying for a roster spot - Eberle, Hall, Skinner, Benn, Seguin, Couture - he's playing the best hockey out of any of them this year. Plays center, but there shouldn't be an issue converting him to the wing and I recollect him play wing at the Worlds a few years back. Game-changing speed and offensive skill. Reasonably responsibile defensively (my personal view is that he perhaps gets by largely on his natural talent), but probably sufficient for a winger spot in a non-shutdown role. The guy has bounced back very nicely from an injury-plagued and overall bad year, last year, and comparatively speaking he's played his way into the conversation. Thoughts?

P.S. - I consider Tavares a lock, and therefore didn't include him in the aformentioned group.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Should we be talking about Matt Duchene? Too early? Of all the young guns seriously vying for a roster spot - Eberle, Hall, Skinner, Benn, Seguin, Couture - he's playing the best hockey out of any of them this year. Plays center, but there shouldn't be an issue converting him to the wing and I recollect him play wing at the Worlds a few years back. Game-changing speed and offensive skill. Reasonably responsibile defensively (my personal view is that he perhaps gets by largely on his natural talent), but probably sufficient for a winger spot in a non-shutdown role. The guy has bounced back very nicely from an injury-plagued and overall bad year, last year, and comparatively speaking he's played his way into the conversation. Thoughts?

P.S. - I consider Tavares a lock, and therefore didn't include him in the aformentioned group.
He played wing off and on for Colorado last year. He really struggled with injuries last year and came in this year with something to prove and a dedication to offseason fitness. It shows.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
He played wing off and on for Colorado last year. He really struggled with injuries last year and came in this year with something to prove and a dedication to offseason fitness. It shows.
Good to know. I don't catch the Avs often, but I watched a bit of the Oilers-Avs game this past weekend and the guy was all over the ice, he seems to be skating really well this year and carrying a fairly commanding presence on the ice. Thinking of the speed of guys like Duchene, Hall, and Seguin on the larger international ice surface leaves me salivating.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Good to know. I don't catch the Avs often, but I watched a bit of the Oilers-Avs game this past weekend and the guy was all over the ice, he seems to be skating really well this year and carrying a fairly commanding presence on the ice. Thinking of the speed of guys like Duchene, Hall, and Seguin on the larger international ice surface leaves me salivating.
He's basically carrying the team right now. He also seems to have ignited a bit of a rivalry with O'Reilly last season. Rumors seem to be that he didn't like O'Reilly being called the best player on the team so he put in the offseason work to get back to where he was early on in his career. I'm not sure he's good enough for Canada, since he's basically a top 6 forward or bust and Canada is loaded, but without Duchene the Avs are last place without question.

Closed Thread