HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Methot is excellent

Old
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
costermonger
sans classe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Remember how we always said Schubert would be an amazing top 4 D if he was an intelligent player? All the tools, but no toolbox?
Pretty much, but I haven't noticed yet whether he hates the glass 5 feet above the net quite as much as Schubie did.

Solid, solid pickup. Hope Foligno does well in CBJ, and I think a lot of us were guilty of forgetting how young he is, but Methot fills a hole in this roster and does it well.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:21 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Nick Foligno is a dime a dozen type player. He's an NHL'er no doubt, but he is what he is.

He's a 3rd line grinder that could put up 10-15 goals. That's it.

Good trade by BM the GM.

You all know how I usually respond to Murray moves.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:20 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
Absolutely love the guy. Anybody see the interview when (I think it was Mendes) asked him what he felt about getting the A? I don't think I've seen a prouder athlete in my life. He was just so thrilled and honoured.

Hell of a defenceman as well.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:57 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by costermonger View Post
Pretty much, but I haven't noticed yet whether he hates the glass 5 feet above the net quite as much as Schubie did.
He also hated breakaways.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
Columbus knew how good he was, but with all the money going to the top 3 and all of the young guys coming through, Methot was expendable.

Good trade for both teams. Perfect fit for Ottawa.
The Columbus fans on this board didnt. According to them he was 7th or 8th on their defenceman depth chart.

Like this guy, he fits the chemisty of this team perfectly.

Dysentery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:32 AM
TSA0402

Methot isn't that good, he is a solid mid pairing guy. Arguably solid enough to anchor a mid pairing or shutdown pairing.

Thing is, he doesn't use alot of offensive instincts he likely has. That restricts his abilities somewhat.

Columbus had too many d-men and not enough forwards, they got a 47 point forward for a stay at home guy, they aren't complaining.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:34 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
The Columbus fans on this board didnt. According to them he was 7th or 8th on their defenceman depth chart.

Like this guy, he fits the chemisty of this team perfectly.
If there were other Columbus fans on this board, they would clearly know his game, and that him being a #5-6 was a ridiculous comment. I think I heard as foolish as a #6-7 a couple times.

That was started by a few fans who didn't know what they were talking about.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:59 AM
operasen

Have to agree that Methot has been a very pleasant surprise. He has filled his minutes extremely well.

Murray got an Ottawa boy as a bonus and an A suits his uniform quite well.

Be interesting to see where he ends up when Cowen is back (who plays with Karlsson). He might just be the guy.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Have to agree that Methot has been a very pleasant surprise. He has filled his minutes extremely well.

Murray got an Ottawa boy as a bonus and an A suits his uniform quite well.

Be interesting to see where he ends up when Cowen is back (who plays with Karlsson). He might just be the guy.
Cowen hasn't really spent any time playing with Karlsson yet. I would rather see Methot keep the spot since they already have shown chemistry and play well together.

Depending on who we acquire (if we acquire anyone) to play on the right side after Gonchar is gone I'd guess that Cowen ends up with them. Heck, it could be Ceci if he impresses.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:31 AM
mikey

Wingers like Folingo are a dime a dozen.

Top pairing D? Not so much.

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:57 AM
OgieO

I still think it was a fair (and good) trade for both teams. I think Foligno is a step above "dime a dozen" player. I think Methot is about the same step above replacement level D (i.e. dime a dozen). But considering both team's needs, I think this was a good trade for each side.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:03 AM
JohnnySpectacular

I definitely am a Methot-for-Foligno trade skeptic turned believer, although I was really hoping it would turn out this way. I was really rooting for the guy to be as fun to watch on the ice as we is to follow on his twitter feed.

He looks good with the 'A'. absolutely a ton of fun to watch an Ottawa boy sport it and play his role well.

JohnnySpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Remember how we always said Schubert would be an amazing top 4 D if he was an intelligent player? All the tools, but no toolbox?

Well, methot, is a schubert with a brain. Big. Strong. Fast skater.

I was pissed at the foligno-methot trade...not anymore.
That's actually a pretty solid comparison, I like it. A more physical Schubert with a brain.

Love Methot.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Cowen hasn't really spent any time playing with Karlsson yet. I would rather see Methot keep the spot since they already have shown chemistry and play well together.

Depending on who we acquire (if we acquire anyone) to play on the right side after Gonchar is gone I'd guess that Cowen ends up with them. Heck, it could be Ceci if he impresses.
I predict Gryba (being a right hand shot) will be playing with Cowen which has the potential to be a LETHAL shut down pairing.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
It was a solid hockey trade IMO. Columbus fans seem to be happy with Foligno, and we're all (for the most part) happy with Methot. Both addressed a team need and are filling their roles well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I predict Gryba (being a right hand shot) will be playing with Cowen which has the potential to be a LETHAL shut down pairing.
I'd love to see that pairing. Dayum!

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
I don't know if there's a player more happy to be a Senator.

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Most impressive thing: The guy actually has some poise, and can skate it out too. He doesn't have to use the glass as a way to get the puck out. I'm very, very impressed with him. Excellent trade by Murray.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Methot isn't that good, he is a solid mid pairing guy. Arguably solid enough to anchor a mid pairing or shutdown pairing.

Thing is, he doesn't use alot of offensive instincts he likely has. That restricts his abilities somewhat.

Columbus had too many d-men and not enough forwards, they got a 47 point forward for a stay at home guy, they aren't complaining.
Not really, they got a guy on pace for 10g-20a-30pts. Probably lower than what could be expected, but anyone expecting another 47 ots season out of him were bound to be disappointed. What they got was a good grinding soldier. I don't imagine their complaining about that, as you said, there was little room for Methot.

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
That makes sense. Whoever plays with EK will log the most minutes so the question will become do you give those (at least initially) to Cowen (coming back from serious injury) or Methot. Cowen also wants to develop his offensive side and being paired with EK could make him hold back. Playing with Gryba might mean he can take more offensive risks. 2 hitters would be a tough pair to play against.

In any case for next season the potential top 6 of EK, Methot, Gryba, Cowen, Weir and Phillips gives Stache many options in his regular pairings, on the PK and pp. Having said that Bryan Murray will probably change that up by finding an experienced D to push one of the rookies to a backup role.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Methot was an amazing trade. Just amazing. Maybe our pro scouting is getting better? Turris and Methot were great adds.
Or maybe our pro scouting just appears better because our GM has coveted assets to make deals with. Columbus has Dmen moving in, so Methot was expendable. We have forwards coming in, so Foligno was expendable.

You know, we used to make deals relying on Chris Campoli's and 2nd round picks to get us returns that make the team better. But that's because the farm was bare of any talent not too long ago.

How did we get Turris? Probably amazing pro scouting, I mean, we had to be the only team that knew Turris was good. Reality? We had David Rundblad to attach to a 2nd rounder. That's how we got Turris. Because we turned 17th overall into a highly coveted talent that gained a ton of hype in Sweden.

We are a pretty rich team now in young assets, this is currency in the NHL. We have the ability to make good deals now, and we don't have to just rely on fleecing teams to get better. We can mix and match and build a roster now because we have things other teams want and we draft and develop among the best in the league...so the teams that don't are forced to overpay. Just like we used to.

The Foligno for Methot trade was a pretty lateral deal. Methot wasn't needed in Columbus as much as we needed him, and vice versa for Foligno. I thought we got the better player on the day the deal was made...but it's probably not all that significant.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Micklebot

Quote:

He spent about 178 mins at ES with Karlsson last year, about the equivalent of a dozen games. During that time, he scored 6 of his 15 ES pts or 40% of his ES production in 15% of his ES TOI.

I think that will at least get another look.

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:11 PM
koreaboy

very solid top-4 defenceman >>> solid top 9 forward

foligno ideally is a third line energy/grinding player who can chip in some offence on a third line of a very good team. if you have to play him higher, you aren't a good team.

methot has shown every indication this year that he is a very solid top-4 defenceman who can defend, be physical, play on the PK, and move the puck safely and consistently out of our zone. that is a much, much more valuable commodity. much more.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Caje

I remember when the trade happened all the Columbus fans were calling him a 6th defenceman. Hah.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:01 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I remember when the trade happened all the Columbus fans were calling him a 6th defenceman. Hah.
To be fair, what they've been forced to observe in Columbus since inception can't really be called "hockey" but rather "sucking".

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I'd actually want to see Murray go after a legit top 3 defender to solidify our defense for years to come.
Me too, but I actually wouldn't mind a stop gap until Ceci is ready. I would love to acquire Mark Streit as a UFA (assuming he makes it to free agency) or trade for Dan Boyle (depending on what we would have to give up). They are a bit older (mid thirties), but would definitely be an upgrade on Gonchar. I think we need a bit more offense from the blueline. Karlsson is awesome of course, but after him who is the next best offensive defenceman? I guess Gonchar, but I would be shocked if he is back next year. Methot, Cowen and Phillips are good stay at home guys, but won't provide much offense. To me, the ideal situation is to bring in an offensive top 4 d-man to play with Cowen next year.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote