HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anaheim Signs Viktor Fasth to 2 year extension [$2.9 million AAV]

Old
02-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
Not sure 8 games should get you inked to that kind of deal. Flames did this with Roman Turek who ended up eventually crapping out. Hope it works out different for you guys.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Whatever man. Personally I think Fasth is gonna show you that you're getting worked up for nothing, but we'll just have to see.
No surprise since you are Duck homer #1 on this board. Of course it's a great signing and you have two #1 goalies with three #1s in the pipeline as well.

It's definitely a risk; your argument of "We used to pay worthless players more" is asinine at best. That's like saying losing $10K on a football game is fine because you've lost $20K before. Making larger mistakes in the past doesn't mean a current mistake is not a mistake.

Also, you were paying these worthless players more under a larger salary cap, although I'm not sure if the Ducks in-house cap has moved up or down since last season. Regardless, it's a risk paying this kind of money to a goalie with 8 NHL games under his belt when you have an internal cap and 2/3rds of your 1st line to re-sign.

Of course, since Fasth is easily worth this after 8 games, I guess you can part ways with Perry since he hasn't been producing as much as Ducks fans would like and you're still winning. I mean, if 8 games is a large enough sample size then 15 should be enough to know you can let Perry walk since 10 in 15 isn't worth the money he's going to get.

Keep posting that record slick. Crazy to see a guy only five years removed from a Cup posting his team's record after 15 games like he's a fan of CBJ or something.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
No surprise since you are Duck homer #1 on this board. Of course it's a great signing and you have two #1 goalies with three #1s in the pipeline as well.

It's definitely a risk; your argument of "We used to pay worthless players more" is asinine at best. That's like saying losing $10K on a football game is fine because you've lost $20K before. Making larger mistakes in the past doesn't mean a current mistake is not a mistake.

Also, you were paying these worthless players more under a larger salary cap, although I'm not sure if the Ducks in-house cap has moved up or down since last season. Regardless, it's a risk paying this kind of money to a goalie with 8 NHL games under his belt when you have an internal cap and 2/3rds of your 1st line to re-sign.

Of course, since Fasth is easily worth this after 8 games, I guess you can part ways with Perry since he hasn't been producing as much as Ducks fans would like and you're still winning. I mean, if 8 games is a large enough sample size then 15 should be enough to know you can let Perry walk since 10 in 15 isn't worth the money he's going to get.

Keep posting that record slick. Crazy to see a guy only five years removed from a Cup posting his team's record after 15 games like he's a fan of CBJ or something.
I thought you had a fair point until right here... One is a new NHL player with 8 games. The other is a veteran with over 500. Perry has years of evidence that points to what kind of player he is at the NHL level. Fasth has all of 8 games.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
(...)
Well, that's a whole lot of arguing against the poster and not saying anything about the signing or why you believe he will not show what DJ expects him to.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 1117
Quote:

I can't be a little proud of my team after the god awful year they had last year? I was actually going to change it to something Fasth related.

Oh and I may be a big Ducks supporter, and I'll admit I can be a homer, but I'm hardly homer number 1.

Also, I was just commenting on how 2.9 sure isn't a horrific gamble. I used the "useless players" argument to show that we got by just fine with dead dollars in the system. It's not ideal but 2.9 million isn't a back breaking contract worth getting worked up over. Premature or not. Yes it's early, but I don't think it's a bad move.

Last edited by DuckJet: 02-20-2013 at 02:58 PM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Hainzy58

Send a message via AIM to Hainzy58 Send a message via MSN to Hainzy58 Send a message via Yahoo to Hainzy58 Send a message via Skype™ to Hainzy58
good for him, great goalie

Hainzy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I thought you had a fair point until right here... One is a new NHL player with 8 games. The other is a veteran with over 500. Perry has years of evidence that points to what kind of player he is at the NHL level. Fasth has all of 8 games.
But that's the past man. Live in the now where 8 games in a strange, shortened season equals a two year extension at a decent chunk of change.

It might work out beautifully. I think it is risky due to the NHL sample size. Kind of like a pitcher on his second trip around the Majors...hitters figure them out a bit. While you have some money coming off the books in the summer, looking down at the end of the bench at $2.9MM wearing a baseball cap on a team with an internal cap is risky.

My issue with DJ is that he's super homer deluxe and this thread was just the straw that broke the camel's back so I couldn't bite my tongue anymore.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I can't be a little proud of my team after the god awful year they had last year? I was actually going to change it to something Fasth related.

Oh and I may be a big Ducks supporter, and I'll admit I can be a homer, but I'm hardly homer number 1.

Also, I was just commenting on how 2.9 sure isn't a horrific gamble. I used the "useless players" argument to show that we got by just fine with dead dollars in the system. It's not ideal but 2.9 million isn't a back breaking contract worth getting worked up over. Premature or not. Yes it's early, but I don't think it's a bad move.
You didn't get by just fine with dead dollars in the system: you got the god awful year you had last year.

I have no problem with thinking it is a good move; however, I have a problem when anyone says that $3MM in dead cap space is not that big of a deal on a team with an internal cap.

I understand the reasoning and Lord knows Lombardi has done similar contracts (Matt Greene's extension comes to mind) but, if I were a Ducks fan, I'd be a bit weary of this deal on top of hating myself

Old
02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
You didn't get by just fine with dead dollars in the system: you got the god awful year you had last year.

I have no problem with thinking it is a good move; however, I have a problem when anyone says that $3MM in dead cap space is not that big of a deal on a team with an internal cap.

I understand the reasoning and Lord knows Lombardi has done similar contracts (Matt Greene's extension comes to mind) but, if I were a Ducks fan, I'd be a bit weary of this deal on top of hating myself
Last year had nothing to do with 'dead dollars'.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Perfect length in 2 years Gibson should be close

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Fasth has done more in the NHL in 8 games, or even 4 games, than those two did their entire careers.
He could have put up 8 straight 50 game shutouts for all it matters...you're still talking about a 2 year investment based on an 8 game sample size. It's a risk.

The history books are teeming with goalies are started hot and fizzled out not long after.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

That argument might work if "dead dollars" had anything to do with Anaheim's performance last season.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He could have put up 8 straight 50 game shutouts for all it matters...you're still talking about a 2 year investment based on an 8 game sample size. It's a risk.

The history books are teeming with goalies are started hot and fizzled out not long after.
It is. It's absolutely a risk. I do, however, think it's a risk worth taking. I think the reward outweighs the risk.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

You know what a bigger risk is? Fasth possibly playing this well all year and having to pay him double, for more years, how on earth can anyone bash this? short term, not big time money, oh right kings fans

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
He's shown he can play at a high level before this though. He's been the best goalie in SEL for a few years and if I remember correctly wasnt he the goalie for the WC all-star team a few years ago?

It's a risk for sure, but not as big of a risk as some of you think.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
While I won't try to argue away a certain risk being involved, the bolded isn't true. The basis for this isn't just eight games in the NHL. The basis is the Ducks' staff's evaluation that he'll be worth it. The eight games play into it, but so does everything they have seen from him in the past two years of which we know they haven been watching closely. He's paid for his quality as a hockey player, not for his NHL resumee, and it's not impossible for NHL clubs to come to a fair conclusion on that without a big NHL sample size. That sure leaves a risk. But considering it a gamble on a short hot streak is a misrepresentation of the realities.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
You know what a bigger risk is? Fasth possibly playing this well all year and having to pay him double, for more years, how on earth can anyone bash this? short term, not big time money, oh right kings fans
Pretty sure this started with somebody saying something like "wow, after only 8 games? That's kinda risky" which is true... they never said it was bad, just kinda risky. I'm pretty sure most people believe the possible benefit outweighs the risk, but it still is risky.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:27 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Well that was Quick.

Wait who are we talking about again?

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Well that was Quick.

Wait who are we talking about again?
You weren't Fasth enough.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
I think they aren't going to rush Gibson. Andersen is looking terrific. He'll probably serve as back up to Fasth if Hiller gets traded until Gibson is good and seasoned.

And being the first goalie since Lundqvist to be the SEL goalie of the year? This isn't money for a starter. It's money for a good back up. He's shown that at worst he can be a very capable back up. I think he deserves the money. If he proved himself any more down the line he could have fetched 5+
I was going to say there's a fair deal of risk involved with it, but this is probably a good way to look at the signing. It's not like this is an 18 y.o. What you see with Fasth is what you get--and maybe a little bit more.

That being said, to me it's just a little premature because he hasn't even lost a game yet. I don't think people are going to just 'figure him out' and he'll disappear, but you'd think you'd want to see him fight through a little bit of adversity before handing him your wallet.

(all that said, I think it's an excellent risk-vs.-reward value)

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigE View Post
Is Hiller still good enough to be a #1 somewhere?
in Toronto or Tampa bay yes

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You weren't Fasth enough.
This is going to make Kings/Ducks telecasts unbearable

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This is going to make Kings/Ducks telecasts unbearable
I'd be disappointed if we didn't hear a few worthy puns.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Has this one been used yet? That wasn't Quick, that was Fasth?

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Pay $2.9M AAV now and play the odds or wait until he has 20+ games under his belt at the end of the season with absurd GAA/SV% and watch him go to one of the many teams dying for reliable tending for $5M in free agency. I don't think it's crazy; guy is 30 and was solid in the SEL, doesn't seem like a flash in the pan rookie performance.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote