HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Olympics and the NHL (UPD: NHL, NHLPA, IIHF, IOC meeting this week)

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That's what I've been saying all along... The sport has to be widespread enough and played in many countries and to have "enough" national federations.
Of course. I thought you were saying that sports aren't in the Olympics aren't popular, which isn't always true. Baseball is popular as ****, but they got rid of it in the Olympics because no one wants to cater to the US and small Central American countries when they don't play it.

02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Many more tries, You mean twice?? The last time 2004, after which is was shelved?? Well given that, the next one in 2016 if it happens will SURELY be EXACTLY the same?? Nothing EVER changes !
Well it's good that you finally understood how the minds at NHL work.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
joelef

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I'm no expert on all of those sports, but baseball would trade the World Baseball Classic in favor of the Olympics in a heartbeat. Nobody gives a single **** about the WBC. I bet most people (even baseball fans) don't even realize it starts in a week and a half.

Soccer, Rugby and Cricket have successful international tournaments however, but they also aren't run by single leagues who give one country home ice (field) advantage every time it's held.

If there's no NHLers at the Olympics, and the only alternative is an NHL-run competition, I'd rather there not be ANY "best-on-best" hockey tournament at all.
japan, korea , taiwan,venzuela,dominan republic, puerto rico, cuba, curacao, aruba does

Old
02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
cutchemist42

More people will probably watch this year's WBC then any Olympic/World Cup hockey tourney ever. Despite some hating it, the WBC is quickly turning into one of the top drawing 4-year team tournaments in the world.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
japan, korea , taiwan,venzuela,dominan republic, puerto rico, cuba, curacao, aruba does
**** Aruba!!

Old
02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
More people will probably watch this year's WBC then any Olympic/World Cup hockey tourney ever. Despite some hating it, the WBC is quickly turning into one of the top drawing 4-year team tournaments in the world.
Is it like the Cricket World Cup for the non-Commonwealth countries? Meaning no one in (mainland) Europe cares about it?

Old
02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
What I was getting at was we are apparently going to be seeing the talented and mighty hockey nation of Austrian playing in the Olympic tourney. In a World Cup / Canada Cup format, no way does a country like Austria get invited to particpated over Germany. Not in a 100 years. Why, becuase Austria doesn't produce the pro's that Germany does.
Which is another great reason why the World Cup/Canada Cup was a joke. They picked teams randomly instead of having a system of qualification where the teams that actually play good hockey got to participate.

And actually the pro's that Austria produce has nothing to do with it. Germany would get in over Austria because there's more people and more money to be made in Germany. The NHL would choose countries based on what countries are going to make them more money, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the level of the sport in said countries. (Except for the traditional major powers of course)

Old
02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
First off, the WBC is gonna be a success next month, book it. It's been better each time since the first one, it's growing, it's great competition and a great festival of international baseball, nobody who tunes in is disappointed. The revenues go back to all the baseball and they don't have to deal with the vulgar and perfidious IOC (the corrupt ******** who snubbed baseball, and recently cut wrestling).
A growth from 0 to 1 is technically "growing", but the WBC is still incredibly irrelevant. The only mentions of it I have heard in American media so far has been along the lines of "ugh, (insert player here) has to play in the WBC instead of training with the team, what a stupid tournament" or mentions of players skipping the tournament altogether to much praise.

I guess they make enough money in Japan to keep the tournament afloat, because I'm not sure how they can possibly be making any money off of the Americas. The U.S. doesn't care, and Central America is poor.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
joelef

Quote:
A growth from 0 to 1 is technically "growing", but the WBC is still incredibly irrelevant. The only mentions of it I have heard in American media so far has been along the lines of "ugh, (insert player here) has to play in the WBC instead of training with the team, what a stupid tournament" or mentions of players skipping the tournament altogether to much praise.

I guess they make enough money in Japan to keep the tournament afloat, because I'm not sure how they can possibly be making any money off of the Americas. The U.S. doesn't care, and Central America is poor.
Irrevelant in the usa not in the pacific rim where this is huge.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Is it like the Cricket World Cup for the non-Commonwealth countries? Meaning no one in (mainland) Europe cares about it?
Most likely except for the Northern pockets of Italy and the baseball playing cities of the Netherlands.Italy does 2 good native players at high levels in the MLB and NPB. The Dutch before Greg Halman got killed have about 2-3 native Europeans in the MLB depending on ST decisions.

Amsterdam did just get awarded their MLB series because of the new baseball complex being built there so there is slight interest.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:

Canada, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and even the USA's slight interest insures this tournament makes a profit that saw distributions in the millions to the teams who played. What else you really going to watch the first half of March that beats this?

Old
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Canada, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and even the USA's slight interest insures this tournament makes a profit that saw distributions in the millions to the teams who played. What else you really going to watch the first half of March that beats this?
Uh, well, just this little thing called March Madness that is probably the second biggest sporting event of the year in the U.S. after the Super bowl.

Hell, spring training games probably get better ratings.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Uh, well, just this little thing called March Madness that is probably the second biggest sporting event of the year in the U.S. after the Super bowl.

Hell, spring training games probably get better ratings.
The two tourneys overlaps only overlap be a few days, which is why I said the first half of March, the WBC starts as early as March 2nd. Conference tourneys don't come close to affecting the WBC's finances. If people would rather watch someone ST baseball then I feel bad for them, the baseball in the WBC is alot better.

In fact the WBC is alot like IIHF events where they don't have to rely on Americans watching to earn a profit.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

There is absolutely no chance that more people are going to watch the WBC than the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament.

I'd quickly bet money on that.

The Olympics are on NBC. The WBC is on MLBN. Not only that, non-baseball fans don't give two ***** about the WBC. The gold-medal game in the Olympics an average of 27.6 million people watching. Literally impossible for the WBC to top that.

The only channel I see anyone talking about the WBC is on MLBN. I don't hear **** anywhere else.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:53 PM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
There is absolutely no chance that more people are going to watch the WBC than the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament.

I'd quickly bet money on that.
In america sure but the whole pacific rim and latin america will be watching.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
In america sure but the whole pacific rim and latin america will be watching.
And how much people would you say that is in total? Those ratings I just posted for the Olympics were only in the US.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
And how much people would you say that is in total? Those ratings I just posted for the Olympics were only in the US.
In Japan alone the final game pulled a 37.8 rating in a country of 125 million for the first Korean-Japan game of the tourney, they played 4 more times after that. Combine that with the Korean/Taiwan tv numbers and your pretty much there after only 2 tourneys.

There's a reason the WBC organization awarded Asia 3 rounds of the tourney (2 in Japan, 1 in Taiwan) this time around, and the reason why Korea is building a dome stadium to keep hosting in Japan, Taiwan, and Korea for years.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
In Japan alone the final game pulled a 37.8 rating in a country of 125 million for the first Korean-Japan game of the tourney, they played 4 more times after that. Combine that with the Korean/Taiwan tv numbers and your pretty much there after only 2 tourneys.

There's a reason the WBC organization awarded Asia 3 rounds of the tourney (2 in Japan, 1 in Taiwan) this time around, and the reason why Korea is building a dome stadium to keep hosting in Japan, Taiwan, and Korea for years.
That's about 30 million people. USA was probably second with less than 3 million people. I doubt a single Spanish-speaking country touched even one million people.

In the Olympics, you have USA with over 27 million and Canada with about 17 million.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I don't think the IOC has ever been used by one country's federation for money laundering as the Finnish wrestling people are saying about the international wrestling federation.
Without any evidence if I'm not mistaken..

Old
02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Without any evidence if I'm not mistaken..
Well I'm sure the Swedish posters here are more familiar with the corruption of the wrestling world based on their comments at the General sports section: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=383 But the comments from the Finns were more like "I don't have concrete evidence on paper but everyone knows about it". Kind of what they said about Lance Armstrong.

Last edited by Jussi: 02-21-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
That's about 30 million people. USA was probably second with less than 3 million people. I doubt a single Spanish-speaking country touched even one million people.

In the Olympics, you have USA with over 27 million and Canada with about 17 million.
30 million for an OPENING game. Just remember they played 4 more times with 1 of those games being the Gold Medal Game. To give you an idea, the Cuba-Japan final in 2006 was a 48 rating in Japan.

I doubt the Canadian-American viewership numbers match the Korean-Japanese viewership numbers over each sport's whole tournament.

Also factor in the WBC does not have the added benefit of being attached to one of the bigger sporting events in the world. I doubt the World Cup of Hockey in 2004 got WBC like numbers.

I just don't see the reason for hating a profitable baseball tournament that actually distributes millions to baseball federations around the world?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
In fact the WBC is alot like IIHF events where they don't have to rely on Americans watching to earn a profit.
So then the World Championships are obviously enough, and a World Cup would be pointless. Thanks.

Also, 20 Million people watched a round robin game from Vancouver in CHINA. (Not a lot of people in China, sure, but China isn't anywhere close to being a hockey country so it shows the global reach of the Olympics)

The idea that the WBC gets more global attention than the Olympic machine is just ridiculous. We're talking baseball, which is barely noticeable internationally v.s. the second most influential sporting organization in the world after FIFA probably

Last edited by EbencoyE: 02-21-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Also, 20 Million people watched a round robin game from Vancouver in CHINA. (Not a lot of people in China, sure, but China isn't anywhere close to being a hockey country so it shows the global reach of the Olympics)
If that is true who benefits from it? In terms of this discussion I think it is only the IOC. The IIHF and national hockey federations get very little if any of the profits from the Olympics and I highly doubt that any significant number of those people from China play or follow the sport otherwise.

If the IIHF had their own best on best tournament every fours years it might start to get some attention in non hockey countries as well, plus that way they would have control of the profits.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
So then the World Championships are obviously enough, and a World Cup would be pointless. Thanks.

The idea that the WBC gets more global attention than the Olympic machine is just ridiculous. We're talking baseball, which is barely noticeable internationally v.s. the second most influential sporting organization in the world after FIFA probably
So no we're switching the discussion from international hockey events to comparing the WBC to the whole Olympics? Ok....

Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Folks... Let's make the attempt to get this discussion back onto the Winter Olympics, IIHF, impacts to next season due to NHL Player participation, and so forth. Thank you.

Closed Thread