HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Olympics and the NHL (UPD: NHL, NHLPA, IIHF, IOC meeting this week)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
  #301
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,517
vCash: 2860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That's what I've been saying all along... The sport has to be widespread enough and played in many countries and to have "enough" national federations.
Of course. I thought you were saying that sports aren't in the Olympics aren't popular, which isn't always true. Baseball is popular as ****, but they got rid of it in the Olympics because no one wants to cater to the US and small Central American countries when they don't play it.

__________________
Kane One is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
  #302
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,469
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Many more tries, You mean twice?? The last time 2004, after which is was shelved?? Well given that, the next one in 2016 if it happens will SURELY be EXACTLY the same?? Nothing EVER changes !
Well it's good that you finally understood how the minds at NHL work.

Jussi is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
  #303
joelef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I'm no expert on all of those sports, but baseball would trade the World Baseball Classic in favor of the Olympics in a heartbeat. Nobody gives a single **** about the WBC. I bet most people (even baseball fans) don't even realize it starts in a week and a half.

Soccer, Rugby and Cricket have successful international tournaments however, but they also aren't run by single leagues who give one country home ice (field) advantage every time it's held.

If there's no NHLers at the Olympics, and the only alternative is an NHL-run competition, I'd rather there not be ANY "best-on-best" hockey tournament at all.
japan, korea , taiwan,venzuela,dominan republic, puerto rico, cuba, curacao, aruba does

joelef is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
  #304
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
More people will probably watch this year's WBC then any Olympic/World Cup hockey tourney ever. Despite some hating it, the WBC is quickly turning into one of the top drawing 4-year team tournaments in the world.

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
  #305
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,469
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
japan, korea , taiwan,venzuela,dominan republic, puerto rico, cuba, curacao, aruba does
**** Aruba!!

Jussi is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
  #306
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,469
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
More people will probably watch this year's WBC then any Olympic/World Cup hockey tourney ever. Despite some hating it, the WBC is quickly turning into one of the top drawing 4-year team tournaments in the world.
Is it like the Cricket World Cup for the non-Commonwealth countries? Meaning no one in (mainland) Europe cares about it?

Jussi is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
  #307
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
What I was getting at was we are apparently going to be seeing the talented and mighty hockey nation of Austrian playing in the Olympic tourney. In a World Cup / Canada Cup format, no way does a country like Austria get invited to particpated over Germany. Not in a 100 years. Why, becuase Austria doesn't produce the pro's that Germany does.
Which is another great reason why the World Cup/Canada Cup was a joke. They picked teams randomly instead of having a system of qualification where the teams that actually play good hockey got to participate.

And actually the pro's that Austria produce has nothing to do with it. Germany would get in over Austria because there's more people and more money to be made in Germany. The NHL would choose countries based on what countries are going to make them more money, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the level of the sport in said countries. (Except for the traditional major powers of course)

EbencoyE is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
  #308
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
First off, the WBC is gonna be a success next month, book it. It's been better each time since the first one, it's growing, it's great competition and a great festival of international baseball, nobody who tunes in is disappointed. The revenues go back to all the baseball and they don't have to deal with the vulgar and perfidious IOC (the corrupt ******** who snubbed baseball, and recently cut wrestling).
A growth from 0 to 1 is technically "growing", but the WBC is still incredibly irrelevant. The only mentions of it I have heard in American media so far has been along the lines of "ugh, (insert player here) has to play in the WBC instead of training with the team, what a stupid tournament" or mentions of players skipping the tournament altogether to much praise.

I guess they make enough money in Japan to keep the tournament afloat, because I'm not sure how they can possibly be making any money off of the Americas. The U.S. doesn't care, and Central America is poor.

EbencoyE is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
  #309
joelef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
A growth from 0 to 1 is technically "growing", but the WBC is still incredibly irrelevant. The only mentions of it I have heard in American media so far has been along the lines of "ugh, (insert player here) has to play in the WBC instead of training with the team, what a stupid tournament" or mentions of players skipping the tournament altogether to much praise.

I guess they make enough money in Japan to keep the tournament afloat, because I'm not sure how they can possibly be making any money off of the Americas. The U.S. doesn't care, and Central America is poor.
Irrevelant in the usa not in the pacific rim where this is huge.

joelef is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
  #310
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Is it like the Cricket World Cup for the non-Commonwealth countries? Meaning no one in (mainland) Europe cares about it?
Most likely except for the Northern pockets of Italy and the baseball playing cities of the Netherlands.Italy does 2 good native players at high levels in the MLB and NPB. The Dutch before Greg Halman got killed have about 2-3 native Europeans in the MLB depending on ST decisions.

Amsterdam did just get awarded their MLB series because of the new baseball complex being built there so there is slight interest.

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
  #311
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
A growth from 0 to 1 is technically "growing", but the WBC is still incredibly irrelevant. The only mentions of it I have heard in American media so far has been along the lines of "ugh, (insert player here) has to play in the WBC instead of training with the team, what a stupid tournament" or mentions of players skipping the tournament altogether to much praise.

I guess they make enough money in Japan to keep the tournament afloat, because I'm not sure how they can possibly be making any money off of the Americas. The U.S. doesn't care, and Central America is poor.
Canada, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and even the USA's slight interest insures this tournament makes a profit that saw distributions in the millions to the teams who played. What else you really going to watch the first half of March that beats this?

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
  #312
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Canada, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and even the USA's slight interest insures this tournament makes a profit that saw distributions in the millions to the teams who played. What else you really going to watch the first half of March that beats this?
Uh, well, just this little thing called March Madness that is probably the second biggest sporting event of the year in the U.S. after the Super bowl.

Hell, spring training games probably get better ratings.

EbencoyE is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
  #313
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Uh, well, just this little thing called March Madness that is probably the second biggest sporting event of the year in the U.S. after the Super bowl.

Hell, spring training games probably get better ratings.
The two tourneys overlaps only overlap be a few days, which is why I said the first half of March, the WBC starts as early as March 2nd. Conference tourneys don't come close to affecting the WBC's finances. If people would rather watch someone ST baseball then I feel bad for them, the baseball in the WBC is alot better.

In fact the WBC is alot like IIHF events where they don't have to rely on Americans watching to earn a profit.

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
  #314
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,517
vCash: 2860
There is absolutely no chance that more people are going to watch the WBC than the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament.

I'd quickly bet money on that.

The Olympics are on NBC. The WBC is on MLBN. Not only that, non-baseball fans don't give two ***** about the WBC. The gold-medal game in the Olympics an average of 27.6 million people watching. Literally impossible for the WBC to top that.

The only channel I see anyone talking about the WBC is on MLBN. I don't hear **** anywhere else.

Kane One is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:53 PM
  #315
joelef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
There is absolutely no chance that more people are going to watch the WBC than the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament.

I'd quickly bet money on that.
In america sure but the whole pacific rim and latin america will be watching.

joelef is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
  #316
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,517
vCash: 2860
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
In america sure but the whole pacific rim and latin america will be watching.
And how much people would you say that is in total? Those ratings I just posted for the Olympics were only in the US.

Kane One is online now  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
  #317
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
And how much people would you say that is in total? Those ratings I just posted for the Olympics were only in the US.
In Japan alone the final game pulled a 37.8 rating in a country of 125 million for the first Korean-Japan game of the tourney, they played 4 more times after that. Combine that with the Korean/Taiwan tv numbers and your pretty much there after only 2 tourneys.

There's a reason the WBC organization awarded Asia 3 rounds of the tourney (2 in Japan, 1 in Taiwan) this time around, and the reason why Korea is building a dome stadium to keep hosting in Japan, Taiwan, and Korea for years.

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
  #318
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,517
vCash: 2860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
In Japan alone the final game pulled a 37.8 rating in a country of 125 million for the first Korean-Japan game of the tourney, they played 4 more times after that. Combine that with the Korean/Taiwan tv numbers and your pretty much there after only 2 tourneys.

There's a reason the WBC organization awarded Asia 3 rounds of the tourney (2 in Japan, 1 in Taiwan) this time around, and the reason why Korea is building a dome stadium to keep hosting in Japan, Taiwan, and Korea for years.
That's about 30 million people. USA was probably second with less than 3 million people. I doubt a single Spanish-speaking country touched even one million people.

In the Olympics, you have USA with over 27 million and Canada with about 17 million.

Kane One is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
  #319
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I don't think the IOC has ever been used by one country's federation for money laundering as the Finnish wrestling people are saying about the international wrestling federation.
Without any evidence if I'm not mistaken..

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  #320
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,469
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Without any evidence if I'm not mistaken..
Well I'm sure the Swedish posters here are more familiar with the corruption of the wrestling world based on their comments at the General sports section: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=383 But the comments from the Finns were more like "I don't have concrete evidence on paper but everyone knows about it". Kind of what they said about Lance Armstrong.


Last edited by Jussi: 02-21-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Jussi is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM
  #321
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
That's about 30 million people. USA was probably second with less than 3 million people. I doubt a single Spanish-speaking country touched even one million people.

In the Olympics, you have USA with over 27 million and Canada with about 17 million.
30 million for an OPENING game. Just remember they played 4 more times with 1 of those games being the Gold Medal Game. To give you an idea, the Cuba-Japan final in 2006 was a 48 rating in Japan.

I doubt the Canadian-American viewership numbers match the Korean-Japanese viewership numbers over each sport's whole tournament.

Also factor in the WBC does not have the added benefit of being attached to one of the bigger sporting events in the world. I doubt the World Cup of Hockey in 2004 got WBC like numbers.

I just don't see the reason for hating a profitable baseball tournament that actually distributes millions to baseball federations around the world?

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
  #322
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
In fact the WBC is alot like IIHF events where they don't have to rely on Americans watching to earn a profit.
So then the World Championships are obviously enough, and a World Cup would be pointless. Thanks.

Also, 20 Million people watched a round robin game from Vancouver in CHINA. (Not a lot of people in China, sure, but China isn't anywhere close to being a hockey country so it shows the global reach of the Olympics)

The idea that the WBC gets more global attention than the Olympic machine is just ridiculous. We're talking baseball, which is barely noticeable internationally v.s. the second most influential sporting organization in the world after FIFA probably


Last edited by EbencoyE: 02-21-2013 at 02:25 PM.
EbencoyE is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 08:11 AM
  #323
Mr Kanadensisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Also, 20 Million people watched a round robin game from Vancouver in CHINA. (Not a lot of people in China, sure, but China isn't anywhere close to being a hockey country so it shows the global reach of the Olympics)
If that is true who benefits from it? In terms of this discussion I think it is only the IOC. The IIHF and national hockey federations get very little if any of the profits from the Olympics and I highly doubt that any significant number of those people from China play or follow the sport otherwise.

If the IIHF had their own best on best tournament every fours years it might start to get some attention in non hockey countries as well, plus that way they would have control of the profits.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
  #324
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
So then the World Championships are obviously enough, and a World Cup would be pointless. Thanks.

Also, 20 Million people watched a round robin game from Vancouver in CHINA. (Not a lot of people in China, sure, but China isn't anywhere close to being a hockey country so it shows the global reach of the Olympics)

The idea that the WBC gets more global attention than the Olympic machine is just ridiculous. We're talking baseball, which is barely noticeable internationally v.s. the second most influential sporting organization in the world after FIFA probably
So no we're switching the discussion from international hockey events to comparing the WBC to the whole Olympics? Ok....

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
  #325
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Folks... Let's make the attempt to get this discussion back onto the Winter Olympics, IIHF, impacts to next season due to NHL Player participation, and so forth. Thank you.

Major4Boarding is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.