HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers - Devils

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
  #1
robbiezyg
Registered User
 
robbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,504
vCash: 1234
Oilers - Devils

Ryan Whitney for Anton Volchenkov, short and sweet.

both players get a change of scenery and hopefully both play better.

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
  #2
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,868
vCash: 1000
Devils say no-- oilers need to add

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
  #3
robbiezyg
Registered User
 
robbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,504
vCash: 1234
most fans in NJ want volchenkov out but he's got another 3 years

Devils have a good track record of turning players around too.

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
  #4
JSC
Registered Sniper
 
JSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Volchenkov or Tallinder will do.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
  #5
Jerzey Devil
Registered User
 
Jerzey Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
NJ has to get rid of at least one defender because we have too many now and too many coming up from the system. Swapping one defender for another doesn't help our needs.

I'd say the usual with something involving Volch or Tallinder and Hemsky but that never ends well.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:08 PM
  #6
robbiezyg
Registered User
 
robbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,504
vCash: 1234
you wont need to put in a younger one if whitney plays better

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
  #7
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
No from Oilers. Volchenkov has a big price tag and is no where near the guy he was. He's injury prone and it's not going to get better.

Yes I want to get rid of Whitney, but Volchenkov is worse in the long run. Won't be shocked to see him bought out with one of the two buyouts this year or next.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
  #8
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Here we go again.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
  #9
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
I will say this, the Devils did TRADE FOR Kurtis Foster last year, so this isn't an impossible idea.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
  #10
The Rochester Rocket
Registered User
 
The Rochester Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Strong Island, NY
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I will say this, the Devils did TRADE FOR Kurtis Foster last year, so this isn't an impossible idea.
They traded for Foster because it was to fill a hole, Tallinder got hurt and the young defensemen in the minors were farther behind than today to NHL ready. So I do not understand your point.

The Rochester Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:49 PM
  #11
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
If Jersey's looking to rid themselves of a d-man, it could be good for them considering Whitney's a pending UFA.

From an Edmonton standpoint, I'd prefer Tallinder though.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
  #12
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
Please no Edmonton and anyone proposals. Edmonton should get their own trade board. Oilers need to add but somewhere in Oiler land Whitney is 5000 times the Dman Volch is

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
  #13
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Volchenkov has a NTC and IMO a contract that could hurt the Oilers. Oilers pass, please no more proposals involving the Devils, they just get ugly.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
  #14
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Volchenkov has a NTC and IMO a contract that could hurt the Oilers. Oilers pass, please no more proposals involving the Devils, they just get ugly.
Agreed

but Oilers and any team get ugly

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  #15
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 500
Devils won't trade for a defender. Our problem right now is we have too many NHL quality defenders but our top-end scoring from our forwards is lacking. Right now, our defense looks like:

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Volchenkov-Fayne
Tallinder-Harrold

That being said, I doubt the Devils trade Volchenkov. No, he's not the player he once was, but to a Devils team that is not close to the cap or handicapped by his deal, it doesn't matter to them. To us, he's a valuable third pairing defensive specialist.

It's not bad value, it just doesn't fit a need for us. If we are trading a defender, it absolutely must be for scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
No from Oilers. Volchenkov has a big price tag and is no where near the guy he was. He's injury prone and it's not going to get better.

Yes I want to get rid of Whitney, but Volchenkov is worse in the long run. Won't be shocked to see him bought out with one of the two buyouts this year or next.
I highly doubt the Devils buy out Volchenkov, mainly for what I said above. He's valuable for the role he's in, even if he is overpaid. However, him being overpaid isn't affecting us, so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I will say this, the Devils did TRADE FOR Kurtis Foster last year, so this isn't an impossible idea.
We traded for Kurtis Foster last year when Andy Greene was injured and we were in dire need of a PPQB. Harrold was bouncing back and forth between the AHL, and didn't hit his stride until the end of the year. We also swapped Foster in the deal with Zidlicky to upgrade our forward depth.

We don't need a PPQB now. Zidlicky and Greene do the job just fine. Zidlicky will be a UFA, and then likely Larsson or Gelinas/Urbom gets a crack at that role.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
  #16
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR
 
MJMazzarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dover, NJ
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Devils respectively decline.

However if you can make a package around Tallinder for Hemsky or Gagner (not saying straight up just to be clear - but rather a package around those players) then that would be different.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:43 PM
  #17
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Devils respectively decline.

However if you can make a package around Tallinder for Hemsky or Gagner (not saying straight up just to be clear - but rather a package around those players) then that would be different.
Don't bring that up please.

Oilers aren't trading either one of those players for a 34 year old defenseman. I'm a Devils fan and it's quite clear.

If someone turned around and tried to send you a 30 year old defenseman for Elias or Josefson, Devils fans would abruptly say no. Not the two best examples, but you get the point.

No reason for the Oilers to do a trade like that. The reason this trade was presented was Whitney isn't needed with the Oilers, but they failed to recognized that he also isn't needed in New Jersey. The idea of the trade and change of scenery wasn't bad though.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:48 PM
  #18
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR
 
MJMazzarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dover, NJ
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Don't bring that up please.

Oilers aren't trading either one of those players for a 34 year old defenseman. I'm a Devils fan and it's quite clear.

If someone turned around and tried to send you a 30 year old defenseman for Elias or Josefson, Devils fans would abruptly say no. Not the two best examples, but you get the point.

No reason for the Oilers to do a trade like that. The reason this trade was presented was Whitney isn't needed with the Oilers, but they failed to recognized that he also isn't needed in New Jersey. The idea of the trade and change of scenery wasn't bad though.

And Tallinder isn't needed in New Jersey as well. The Oilers need defense. New Jersey doesn't. Package him in with Josefson and a pick or good prospect player and you mean to tell me that can't land Hemsky?

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
  #19
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
And Tallinder isn't needed in New Jersey as well. The Oilers need defense. New Jersey doesn't. Package him in with Josefson and a pick or good prospect player and you mean to tell me that can't land Hemsky?
That's what he means.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
  #20
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
And Tallinder isn't needed in New Jersey as well. The Oilers need defense. New Jersey doesn't. Package him in with Josefson and a pick or good prospect player and you mean to tell me that can't land Hemsky?
I bet you the Oilers get much sweeter packages than that, for young defenseman to. They need to get bigger up front, Josefson doesn't help them in that respect either. Doesn't fit their needs at all.

It would have to be centered around Fayne for the Oilers to realistically even think about it. I don't think you will get any top-six forward for a package centered around Tallinder.

Your best bet is a team that has a struggling forward and is trying to contend, while having defensive holes. The only reasonable scenario in that case is a Gagne for Tallinder swap.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:22 PM
  #21
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Agreed

but Oilers and any team get ugly
I would have to agree, but the devils just get plain ridiculous.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
  #22
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
NJ has to get rid of at least one defender because we have too many now and too many coming up from the system. Swapping one defender for another doesn't help our needs.

I'd say the usual with something involving Volch or Tallinder and Hemsky but that never ends well.
That's because it's a massive rip off.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:31 PM
  #23
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
That's because it's a massive rip off.
Just shush before this gets out of hand.

Realistically for Volch.... Yakupov or GTFO

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:23 PM
  #24
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'd LOVE To have Volchenkov on the 2nd pairing. It would force us to trade Nick Schultz, though.

Imagine having Smid, Petry, Volcenkov AND Fistric playing every game? DAMN. I'd love that!

Whitney + 2nd rounder. I'd be very game for that.

Petry-Smid
Schultz-Volcehnkov
Klefbom-Fistric

Damn, that's sexy.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
  #25
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I will say this, the Devils did TRADE FOR Kurtis Foster last year, so this isn't an impossible idea.
That was before Zidlicky was here and before Andy Greene was seeing PP time.

Devils won't move a D-man for another D-man. Totally defeats the purpose.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.