HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
sbrug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Don't be overly surprised that London will start going back to the trap before the playoffs...actually IMHO you can "bank on it"!

As for Woopert, he had to get noticed somehow during the game and since he had zero impact skill wise.
btw...I would'nt be surprised if Griffith doesn't get something along the line of 5 ot 6 games for that intemtioanl high stick on Alberga. The TV cameras caught him in full focus and it was 100% intentional.
It's not as if London hasn't been trapping lately, they still are. When you're losing in a game, naturally you're going for goals which might be why it looked like a free wheeling game yesterday, IMO. I think it's better for them too because we all know what playoff hockey is like. With goaltending concerns and a defence that has been weakened after the deadline, I'd hope they tighten up (as a London fan).

Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
bobber

I thought they were using the trap yesterday at times. Not sure if they do it at points in the game when its to their advantage or whether they use that system every game. Don't see them enough. A Knight fan could maybe answer that question.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:52 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

A very good game tonight - but if Kitchener had an effective powerplay, the game would have been over in the 2nd period. 1 for 9 isn't going to cut it. But I was glad to see Bailey-Sterk-Pederson get some PP time - it's about damn time.

What a difference Leivo makes - the puck follows him around, and he makes something good happen every shift.

This Plymouth team is scary good, but the Rangers showed they can hang with them - even with 2 big guns out of the lineup. Hopefully Tobi is back next weekend. I haven't heard anything about Faksa, but I'm hoping he's coming along fine. Kitchener is going to need him for playoffs.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:00 AM
rangersfan88

Any new news on Gibson ? I really hope he's back before the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
mikester

been a rangers fan for a while. no power play, no go far in the playoffs

Old
02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
bobber

Spott said on the radio yesterday that Gibby and Faksa are both coming along as expected. Faksa is ahead of schedule. Going for a check up this week. Not limping now like he was. Expect Faksa back before Gibby. He will know more after Faksa sees the doc this week.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:59 PM
bobber

Faksa to start skating this week. Spott hopes to have Rieder in the line up tomorrow.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:06 AM
EvenSteven

This was the post by jonny three time on RangersRush after the last time the Rangers and Storm met.

That game was at the Aud where the Storm went out of their way to celebrate at center ice, on the Ranger logo, as if it was a championship win. The only thing missing was the cup and the photographers.

jonny three time.
You guys have it all wrong with what the celebration was about. It wasn't about the fans, or the coaches or about class or about winning in a shootout. It was about one team challenging the manhood of the other team. Simple as that. They were saying "after all the times we hit you and you didn't hit us back, after all the times we snowed your goalie and you did nothing, after we jumped your guy 3 on 1 after the only good hit you guys threw all game, we feel like we can mock your team and your fans right at center ice, on your logo, and YOU WILL DO NOTHING" That's what the message was. It was a challenge. I'm interested to see if the guys follow the lead of their captain and coach by playing it soft, or if they actually try to hit the storm players through the glass, really get in their faces during scrums and really try to win a couple fights. We'll see

It was expected that a little revenge would be exacted if you heard how the Rangers talked of being upset about the celebration. Instead, the faithful Ranger fans who helped fill the Sleeman Center today were treated to a team and coaching staff who almost to a man (Thomson and Shoenmakers can't do it themselves), didn't show up.

Spott lamented, post game, about how the team didn't show up for the first 40 minutes, players taking "bonehead" penalties, etc, etc. You know, the same excuses he has been spewing all year. These are the issues that have been a problem since the start of the season and it's still an issue now? That's on the coaching staff!!

The following is jonny three time's post on RangersRush today, after he, like the rest of us, had his stomach turned by today's "effort":

jonny three time:
A week ago the Guelph Storm ended the game by mocking our team on our ice, on our logo. They were rolling around staring at our bench and laughing right at them. They're a rival team, they're a playoff team that we could meet in the playoffs and they dared our guys to do something about how they mocked us last game...

And this is the effort that the Rangers give? Just terrible. I understand not getting up for games against cellar dwellers or teams in the East, but not getting up for the Storm given these circumstances is just inexcusable. We can talk about the PP, or about the soft D, or about the handful of forwards who don't bother to consistently skate hard, but I think the problem is bigger than that...

This coaching staff conducts themselves as weak and passive men when they're behind the bench. They show no intensity, no alpha-dog confidence and no fire whatsoever. This was masked for a few years by having guys like Catenacci, Landeskog, Skinner and Kelly show the team by example what intensity and competitiveness looks like, even though the coach wasn't showing them himself. Now though, there is no real leader for this team in terms of intensity and competitiveness, so when the team needs a jolt of energy to get themselves going, there's nobody to give it. That needs to be addressed if this team really wants to be a championship team.

I couldn't agree more. Judging by the way this team "shows up" vs the more physical teams in the league, I don't see us going too far come post season - especially since our PP is terrible which allows these more physical teams, hell any team really, to take liberties at will knowing that when put on the PP, the Rangers aren't a threat anyway.

That's how it went down Friday night vs the Whalers. They took 6 straight penalties in the 2nd period and went 0-6 on the PP. Where is the deterant to not take liberties vs the Rangers??

Unless Spott allows this team to play with the same grit as their opponants, if they even can, we will go nowhere in the playoffs.

I'd hate to run into Guelph, Owen Sound, Plymouth, or the Soo come playoff time. Those teams will run us out of the rink physically and our terrible PP will only help encourage the line-crossing that will go on.

Spott is probably expecting Gibson to save the day come playoff time and maybe he will. But if I'm an opposing coach, and I know the Rangers are no threat on the PP, I have my forwards take major liberties with Gibson. Hell, throw him off his game!! If they're lucky, the hip pointer will flare up again!!

Once today and once vs Plymouth on Friday night, Joel Vienneau had to retaliate against players himself who took liberties against him. What did our guys do? Some minor pushing and shoving and that was it. If there was ever a time to take 2, 5, and 10, it's when your goalie is getting bumped around or jabbed at repetedly by the oppostion. And now we have the likes of Cody McNaughton getting into scrums with Matt Puempel. But why not? He knows the soft Rangers won't do anything. What's the worst that can happen? Take Puempel off the ice with him which means they win the tradeoff, or put the Rangers on the PP!! Geez! I bet either scenario scares the heck out of Scott Walker!!!

What needs to happen to McNaughton is the ass kicking that Dan Kelly put on him a couple years ago. I'm not holding my breath!

We had this trouble last year, liberties against Gibson and Frankie, and after getting no satisfaction from the refs, Spott seemingly took off the red light, so to speak, and there was a run of 2, 5, and 10's taken by Sol, Thomson and others in defense of the goalies. Time for that to start happening again.

Today, the Storm ran us out of their rink physically, they beat us to pucks, they won battles in the corners, and they finished every check all game long.

I said it the last time Owen Sound was at the Aud, Friday night when Plymouth was at the Aud, and again today over in Guelph:

"Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have a team like that!!"

Last edited by EvenSteven: 02-19-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
bobber

Looking at stats the Rangers PIM's have been low since 2008-2009. This year they are 16th. Looking back they are 13th,16th,17th,18th. Its a trend that has been established since Spott took over. Playing a non physical system hoping the opponent will take penalties is great if you make the other squad pay by scoring on the PP. We always joke at how the team killed off another power play. Really to call it that this year is a joke. Specialty teams have to work both ways to be effective.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:41 PM
mikester

we have what we have, untill Spott lights a fire under their ***** we will play the same hockey.Toughness is a nice thing to have if you let them loose the odd game

Old
02-19-2013, 04:55 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
we have what we have, untill Spott lights a fire under their ***** we will play the same hockey.Toughness is a nice thing to have if you let them loose the odd game

I'm not holding my breath waiting for Spott to light any fires. The Rangers graduated huge toughness/leadership last year with the departure Cat, Sol and Randel. Adding Shoenmakers doesn't come close to replacing it.

Dealing Genovese didn't help either. (check out his devastation of Johnny MacGuire yesterday on youtube).

Old
02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
bobber

For me I would have kept Czinder. He was coming on when traded. Point a game now and would at least drop the mitts. Shoe isn't what I thought he would be. Not much of an upgrade in my opinion. Genovese was probably the guy you could count on most when needed. Thomson hasn't fought much since getting cut up a while back. Our only hope is we get a full squad for once and get the power play going. No toughness this season.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
mikester

just watched the video, sure could use Corey in the stretch runits something we dont have now. sorry for the language

Old
02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
bobber

Today's record says Faksa will return this week. Guess we wait and see. Rieder is suppose to be available also. Just need to get Gibby going. he is skating this week.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
mikester

I think the Record said Gibson and Faksa will start to skate this week

Old
02-20-2013, 10:52 AM
bobber

The exact quote says "At centre Radek Faksa is also progressing well. The Czech import has been out of action for you the past month with a knee injury but is expected to return this week. He was originally slated to miss four days to six weeks". Spott said he was going to start skating last week. Not sure how to read into the Record comment.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
mikester

thanks for the correction,as far as toughness Thompson cannot do it by himself 104 pim thats got to take its toll. The next closest to him is Corrado he has 77 pim then Max with 55 pim. We deffinatly need others to step up when needed.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Kitchener Rangers ‏@OHLRangers

Head Coach/GM Steve Spott confirming that D Ryan Murphy has been recalled by the Carolina Hurricanes (NHL), effective immediately

Very confused

Old
02-20-2013, 03:59 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Not amused.

Apparently the Canes have a ton of injures to d-men at the NHL and AHL levels? Have they no other d-men they can call up from the ECHL?

Old
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Not amused.

Apparently the Canes have a ton of injures to d-men at the NHL and AHL levels? Have they no other d-men they can call up from the ECHL?
Not sure if it's related but Skinner will be going on the IR with a concussion.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Not sure if it's related but Skinner will be going on the IR with a concussion.
I saw that. It shouldn't affect Murphy though - unless they're really going to be stupid and play him as a forward.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
bobber

Are they allowed to play Murphy at forward? Thought it had to be at his position. They have two D on injured reserve but they are supposedly not suppose to be out any length of time.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:03 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Are they allowed to play Murphy at forward? Thought it had to be at his position. They have two D on injured reserve but they are supposedly not suppose to be out any length of time.

I believe the rule states position. I'm thinking the Canes just want to get a look at him and he's probably the better option than calling up an AHLer.

Here's hoping it's a quick and unsuccessful stint. Meaning, that he screws up a bunch of times and is actually taken to task for it. Lord knows it doesn't happen here.

Here's also hoping he doesn't get a taste of the show and it affects his play. That could contribute to a Ranger's early playoff exit whereby Murphy would then be called up to the big club for the rest of the regular season and a possible playoff run. Because of the lockout, there would be a lot of NHL hockey left to play after a first round Ranger exit.

Hey, he wouldn't be the first junior player to tank it in an effort to get fast tracked to the show.

Just sayin'.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Novacane
My Hero

McBain is now injured. That's why Murphy could be called up.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:12 PM
bobber

This is why Spott picked up Carrado. In case Murphy made the Canes. Doubt he will be there long but who knows.

Closed Thread