HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Murphy called up?

Old
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Mr, I believe Joni and Timmy had to go on IR for Welsh and Nash to come up... Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Mr, I believe Joni and Timmy had to go on IR for Welsh and Nash to come up... Someone correct me if I'm wrong
I'm not sure of the exact timeline of events, but clearly Welsh and Nash didn't come up to replace a defensemen.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Victor Rask appears to be having a great season. If we were doing an emergency call up from juniors to replace Skinner I can't see why it wouldn't be him. Something else has to be brewing here.
You can only call up a player from juniors if you have a lot of injuries and don't have the time or the players to call up from the ahl. We wouldn't be allowed to call up Rask.

Cardiac_Canes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
I'm not sure of the exact timeline of events, but clearly Welsh and Nash didn't come up to replace a defensemen.
And that completes my point... Skinner to IR could make sense since we have plenty of forwards up... No more forwards that we can bring up, so we bring up another D since we are short there too

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
What Hurricane Anton is saying is that we needed roster spots to be able to call up Nash and Welsh. Placing Gleason and Pitkanen on IR allowed for those two roster spots to be available to be filled by the Checkers players. If we want to call up another player for the defense (Murphy), Skinner's injured and can be placed on IR to open up a roster spot.

It doesn't matter what positions these guys play, it's the roster spots that matter.

bilpeto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Mr America

I suppose they see this as an opportunity to bring him in for more experience being around the team. It will be interesting to see if he plays or not.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

So what are we looking at now?

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
LaRose-Staal-Dwyer
Bowman-Jokinen-Wallace
Welsh-Nash-Nodl

Harrison-Faulk
McBain-Corvo
Jordan/Sanguinetti/Murphy

With Pitkanen being the first one to be back healthy?

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Made Punk View Post
So what are we looking at now?

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
LaRose-Staal-Dwyer
Bowman-Jokinen-Wallace
Welsh-Nash-Nodl

Harrison-Faulk
McBain-Corvo
Jordan/Sanguinetti/Murphy

With Pitkanen being the first one to be back healthy?
Yes, but I'm not sure which of Welsh or Nash will play center. Welsh ended up 7/8 on faceoffs against Montreal.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
What Hurricane Anton is saying is that we needed roster spots to be able to call up Nash and Welsh. Placing Gleason and Pitkanen on IR allowed for those two roster spots to be available to be filled by the Checkers players. If we want to call up another player for the defense (Murphy), Skinner's injured and can be placed on IR to open up a roster spot.

It doesn't matter what positions these guys play, it's the roster spots that matter.
I understand that clearly, but those players weren't needed till Skinner and Brent were injurred.

The team still has enough warm bodies to fill a 20 man roster without Murphy.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
caniac247

It's interesting having Murphy be the call up. Joni practiced today and it sounded like he would be good for tomorrow. So with him back that gives us 7-D, even if he doesn't come back we still have 6 healthy D. Doesn't make any sense unless one of Sangs or Jordan are going back to Charlotte since they are short bodies.

And ***** on Skinner. But we all knew it was a concussion anyway. Just sucks to have it confirmed. Hopefully it's not bad and they are just taking more precautions since it is his 2nd in a year.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:43 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
I understand that clearly, but those players weren't needed till Skinner and Brent were injurred.

The team still has enough warm bodies to fill a 20 man roster without Murphy.
Oh, I missed your post back a page on the topic that Hurricane Anton was responding to. My bad.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Caniac1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
It's interesting having Murphy be the call up. Joni practiced today and it sounded like he would be good for tomorrow. So with him back that gives us 7-D, even if he doesn't come back we still have 6 healthy D. Doesn't make any sense unless one of Sangs or Jordan are going back to Charlotte since they are short bodies.

And ***** on Skinner. But we all knew it was a concussion anyway. Just sucks to have it confirmed. Hopefully it's not bad and they are just taking more precautions since it is his 2nd in a year.
This,I hope its a trade.Could this be them giving murphy a couple showcase games for GM's around the league if canes really are interested in trading for a Dman?I just don't know why you would call up a guy from juniors when he can only play on emergency basis for a couple games (how many?),and ruutu really ****ed us this year for not getting his surgery done in the offseason,we could really use him right now.Our depth on forward is looking pretty damn weak right now.....

Caniac1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Something's not right:

We have 22 players on our active roster: Tlusty, E. Staal, Semin, LaRose, J. Staal, Dwyer, Bowman, Jokinen, Nash, Wallace, Westgarth, Nodl, Welsh, Brent, Harrison, Faulk, McBain, Jordan, Sanguinetti, Corvo, Ward and Ellis.

Pitkanen and Gleason to IR.

Welsh and Nash up.

Skinner to IR.

Call Murphy, that makes 23, or the limit for our active roster.

Pitkanen off of IR, that makes 24.

So we're:

--Sending Sangs/Jordan down,
--Putting Brent on the IR
--Completing a trade.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The real key to debunk any trade talk is this: can a team that willfully put themselves in an "emergency" situation by trading players from their active roster still be eligible for an emergency recall from the CHL? I don't think that is an avenue that is being considered here. If emergencies can be self inflicted or not.

No real surprise on the Skinner front. I think we had a lot of people in denial here about the context clues that were saying concussion. He's going to have to learn to take hits better even if it costs him a bit of his creativity.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The real key to debunk any trade talk is this: can a team that willfully put themselves in an "emergency" situation by trading players from their active roster still be eligible for an emergency recall from the CHL? I don't think that is an avenue that is being considered here. If emergencies can be self inflicted or not.

No real surprise on the Skinner front. I think we had a lot of people in denial here about the context clues that were saying concussion. He's going to have to learn to take hits better even if it costs him a bit of his creativity.
If we completed a trade, then got news that Skinner had sustained a concussion, would that get through?

(Though it's looking less and less likely every passing minute that we have indeed completed a trade)

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Yep, but I don't even think it has to come at the cost of creativity. In neither case was he doing anything overly creative on those plays. On the first hit, he just held onto the puck way too long and got plastered. On the 2nd hit (which is the one I think concussed him), rather than just send the puck back into the corner for a cycle, he tried to stop and turn and Bozak just kept skating and ran him into the boards. At that point in the game with the lead they had, it just wasn't a smart play.

And I think we can now officially question any time Muller says a guy isn't experiencing concussion symptoms.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Phillicane

Well, it's a short season with an asterisk. Better luck next year, full year, fellas.

Phillicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Novacane

I know I'm late with this, but these are my feelings right about now:

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillicane View Post
Well, it's a short season with an asterisk. Better luck next year, full year, fellas.
Why? Every team will go through injuries. Would rather have them now than in March.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Phillicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Why? Every team will go through injuries. Would rather have them now than in March.
A losing streak equal to Caps right now would seal the deal.

Phillicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillicane View Post
A losing streak equal to Caps right now would seal the deal.
What losing streak are you referring to?

Old
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Yep, but I don't even think it has to come at the cost of creativity. In neither case was he doing anything overly creative on those plays. On the first hit, he just held onto the puck way too long and got plastered. On the 2nd hit (which is the one I think concussed him), rather than just send the puck back into the corner for a cycle, he tried to stop and turn and Bozak just kept skating and ran him into the boards. At that point in the game with the lead they had, it just wasn't a smart play.

And I think we can now officially question any time Muller says a guy isn't experiencing concussion symptoms.
I suppose creativity was the wrong phrase there, or perhaps there are better descriptions for what I meant. I think the better choice of words would be knowing when a dead play is a dead play and learning to live to fight another shift. On that 2 on 1, he refused to admit that he had probably blown the play by refusing to make a decision and decided to stop on the trolley tracks with backcheckers coming back full bore to bury him. The second play, like you mentioned, he was holding on to the puck too long because he thought he could squeeze another chance out of a dead play instead of getting it deep and letting the forecheck go back to work. Skinner is a kid that loves to have the puck on his tape and there are times when you do that and make yourself a giant target. In both situations, he allowed himself to take hits that were otherwise not likely to happen.

FWIW, I think it was the first hit that concussed him. I felt at the time that he probably shouldn't have gotten back out there. The odd thing about concussions seems to be that the symptoms don't usually start to become apparent until the adrenaline starts to wear off unless you really get rendered unconscious.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:34 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

McBain is injured. God ****ing damnit.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I suppose creativity was the wrong phrase there, or perhaps there are better descriptions for what I meant. I think the better choice of words would be knowing when a dead play is a dead play and learning to live to fight another shift. On that 2 on 1, he refused to admit that he had probably blown the play by refusing to make a decision and decided to stop on the trolley tracks with backcheckers coming back full bore to bury him. The second play, like you mentioned, he was holding on to the puck too long because he thought he could squeeze another chance out of a dead play instead of getting it deep and letting the forecheck go back to work. Skinner is a kid that loves to have the puck on his tape and there are times when you do that and make yourself a giant target. In both situations, he allowed himself to take hits that were otherwise not likely to happen.
Yeah..I agree with that.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:35 PM
MD
#woofwoof

lolololololol. I CANNOT wait to see this defense tomorrow.

MD is offline   Reply With Quote