Notices

Ducks sign Fasth to Two-Year Extension

Old
02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That doesn't make it insignificant. It just makes it less risky.
What is significant about it? I just found out about this signing ten minutes ago, so was there a quote or press release that should make me think it is? I assume that Murray and Samueli understood what this contract costs them before they signed it.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
No doubt. I have zero problem with this signing, and I wasn't trying to criticize Murray for taking, what I consider, a bit of a risk. In terms of risk vs. reward, I think the potential reward far outweighs the risk. Sure, it could turn out to be a bad contract, but the term is short and the money is not at all outlandish.

If I'm concerned about anything, it's not the contract, but the implications it could have on Hiller and our goaltending situation. If this is a deal to secure us a good goalie tandem for this year, I'm very much for it. Murray can decide what to do after that, when he has a better idea of where the goalies stand. If, however, this is a precursor to a Hiller trade, I'm very much against it. I'm going to give Murray the benefit of the doubt on this, because I think he's earned it.
I entirely understand, and agree. I would be quite shocked to see Hiller dealt overly soon. Realistically, I think it's starting to be an actual option in October, if/when Andersen/(Bobkov)/Gibson (long shot, I know, no penciling in whatsoever... ) look like they can actually handle more than the odd NHL game. I don't know. There's plenty of other options, but I really can't fathom this to be anything like an immediate precursor, and agree that my gut feeling would be quite unsure if we took that route.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I entirely understand, and agree. I would be quite shocked to see Hiller dealt overly soon. Realistically, I think it's starting to be an actual option in October, if/when Andersen/(Bobkov)/Gibson (long shot, I know, no penciling in whatsoever... ) look like they can actually handle more than the odd NHL game. I don't know. There's plenty of other options, but I really can't fathom this to be anything like an immediate precursor, and agree that my gut feeling would be quite unsure if we took that route.
This is what I'm assuming, too.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Who saw that one coming? Smart move by Murray to get him resigned now and not during the Summer. Hopefully Fasth can keep playing like he's been playing. Definitely worth that contract.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Exit Dose

I'm glad to know that he's using the layoff to get contracts dealt with. I was worried we'd see nothing happen.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Not the extension I was hoping for, but pleasantly surprised, even if he just became a league average goalie, the price is good, and it's a bridge to Gibson.

I'd hold off on buying any Hiller rumors, the best bet is we keep both this season and allow Hiller to rebuild his value

Odds are Fasth would have gotten more had he kept playing well, and became a UFA.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=656549
Quote:
On whether he considers himself the starter
No, I don’t. Jonas played the last game against Columbus here and played incredibly well. I just try and work hard, and I will play when the coach tells me to play. That’s how things work.
I thought that was a bit of an interesting quote. With his pre-NHL stance of wanting to come over as a starter, his current play, and now his contract extended and note-worthy money committed to him, one could have forgiven him to be at least somewhat bolder than that. But I have a feeling both guys get along pretty fine and bring a good attitude to the rink when it comes to dealing with competition the right way.

Also, Teemu being a former kindergarten teacher, and Fasth being a former high school teacher (until not that long ago, apparently), we probably should be scouting for more people working with kids in Scandinavia.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:54 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'm glad to know that he's using the layoff to get contracts dealt with. I was worried we'd see nothing happen.
Good point. Hopefully they're also talking to Getzlaf and Perry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Also, Teemu being a former kindergarten teacher, and Fasth being a former high school teacher (until not that long ago, apparently), we probably should be scouting for more people working with kids in Scandinavia.
Something I did learn from that Vatanen thread is that Finland is apparently not a part of Scandinavia.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
That doesn't make it insignificant. It just makes it less risky.
I don't think it's insignificant. Just it could have been worse very easily. 2.9 is manageable.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Some of those you listed actually got us more value then we gave up. Didnt we trade a 5th for Lapierre and get a 3rd?
Yeah, but he also gave 3rd for guys like Artyukhin (Winchester for 3rd too IIRC), for whom he got 7th.

Under the line, he made more bad trades in last 4 years then good ones.

And none of those trades changed the team much (for better or worse).

What he did recently looks good so far, but we'll see full impact when the season is over.

goosemooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemooseduck View Post
Yeah, but he also gave 3rd for guys like Artyukhin (Winchester for 3rd too IIRC), for whom he got 7th.

What he did recently looks good so far, but we'll see full impact when the season is over.
what constitutes as a "bad" trade? the only player i have any issue with losing is Gardiner. Murray is starting to look pretty good with what he got for Pronger who had 1 good season after he was traded

Old
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:

We have an entire thread dedicated to a player that cost us Huskins and Moen(a rental). We had a prospect that almost forced his way on the team this year, and we got our best goaltending prospect along with him for a late first. We picked up Wiz and Brown dirt cheap. We turned Whitney into Lubo. And then there's the Pronger trade.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Ya because all the acquisitions he has made in the last year have been terrible. Winnik, souray (who 95% of you guy HATED), Fasth and even resigning Koivu at 3.8 mil.

Some of you guys are just irrational in your hate for BM. the only major mistake he has made that cost us something significant was not resigning Beauchemin and even that was maybe a good choice at the time. Wiz and Whitney were playing out of their mind and Beauchemin was coming off and ACL reconstruction.

Get over it people.
To be fair the Souray many including myself didn't like the Souray contract but said itd look its best this short season. I know I said Souray would be a solid addition this year. However I don't expect him to keep this up for the duration.
I'm hoping for at least half.

Murray's moves are paying off this year but his entire tenure here has been mediocre IMO. He's made a lot of small bad choices. But what's been his biggest problem has been leaving significant holes in lineup come opening day.

His biggest mistake was not re-signing Beauchemin. I don't care what any of you say, I went over the numbers and roster in length that offseason, and no way do I think we couldn't afford to sign him for what he signed for in TO. Murray simply had too much faith in over the hill and unproven players. That mistake cost us a damn good prospect in Gardiner. He still gets blamed for Schultz. I give him somewhat of a break there but if someone deserves the crap it's Murray.

Smaller things that I can think of are:

Giving JDD and sexton 1 way deals.

Eminger, boynton, Hedican, etc... Bad small signings that hurt our lineup.

Gave Nokeleinen an extension after he proved nothing. Fortunately the Yotes were dumb enough to trade for him and bought him out.

Who'd we trade o'dell for again? Some defenseman on a 1 way deal we bought out?

There's a lot of others. Fortunately for him Cogliano looks like a good pickup after looking like a big ****ing mistake last year.

He's done some good too. However mediocre is how I'd describe his tenure here before this year.

Like the deal for Fasth though, even if it is a little early.

Ill wait and see what he does with Getz and Perry before I praise him for this year though.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
I'm just curious how this is gonna plan out. Are we going to have a Gigy vs Bryz scenario again?

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
goosemooseduck

Ah c'mon, even the worst GM in NHL could get decent assets in exchange for Pronger.

Boner, too early to say, but so far so good.

Whitney trade after all is said and done brought us 2nd rounder (Lubo trade). So, net loss so far.

Whole Wisniewski affair ended up in 3rd rounder. Which in hindsight is not that bad, but it's not good either, more of meh exercise.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:02 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
what constitutes as a "bad" trade?
Any trade which doesn't make team better or depreciate the assets value.

An Murray made gazillion of micro-trades doing absolutely nothing for Ducks.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
To be fair the Souray many including myself didn't like the Souray contract but said itd look its best this short season. I know I said Souray would be a solid addition this year. However I don't expect him to keep this up for the duration.
I'm hoping for at least half.

Murray's moves are paying off this year but his entire tenure here has been mediocre IMO. He's made a lot of small bad choices. But what's been his biggest problem has been leaving significant holes in lineup come opening day.

His biggest mistake was not re-signing Beauchemin. I don't care what any of you say, I went over the numbers and roster in length that offseason, and no way do I think we couldn't afford to sign him for what he signed for in TO. Murray simply had too much faith in over the hill and unproven players. That mistake cost us a damn good prospect in Gardiner. He still gets blamed for Schultz. I give him somewhat of a break there but if someone deserves the crap it's Murray.

Smaller things that I can think of are:

Giving JDD and sexton 1 way deals.

Eminger, boynton, Hedican, etc... Bad small signings that hurt our lineup.

Gave Nokeleinen an extension after he proved nothing. Fortunately the Yotes were dumb enough to trade for him and bought him out.

There's a lot of others. Fortunately for him Cogliano looks like a good pickup after looking like a big ****ing mistake last year.

He's done some good too. However mediocre is how I'd describe his tenure here before this year.

Like the deal for Fasth though, even if it is a little early.

Ill wait and see what he does with Getz and Perry before I praise him for this year though.
Wow you are really nitpicking
every gm has minor signings and minor trades that amount to nothing. i mean really you're complaining about Eric O'Dell?

Old
02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
ViCiieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Good for Fasth, and I'm quite happy he wanted to re-sign, guess that poster a few days ago was right about him being loyal

Im really happy right now. Well deserved Viktor!

ViCiieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Any trade which doesn't make team better or depreciate the assets value.

An Murray made gazillion of micro-trades doing absolutely nothing for Ducks.
Every GM makes bad moves if this is the logic we are going to use

Old
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
I think some people are a little too quick to pass off the money as insignificant. It's not. If this doesn't work out for Anaheim, these are exactly the type of deals that can add up and put a team in a tough cap situation.
They add up when you take on contracts like Blake's, that were signed after one good season and were on the decline when we got them. This is not that type of contract. It's been done because they obviously aren't sure Hiller is his old self and don't want to let a potential gem of a goaltender leave. What move would you have made instead?

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
It's just his age though he's 30 can he really play past 31-32? He will be 33 once his contract has expired.
It's not like we have another guy playing at the age of 42. Also, don't forget that Tim Thomas won a Vezina at 37.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Ah c'mon, even the worst GM in NHL could get decent assets in exchange for Pronger.
Trading away a superstar is arguably the hardest trade to make. You want to try to get the most for your player without waiting too long, because then, you end up having their value diminish, or they walk.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
XO

vCash: 180
Congrats Fasth & Ducks fans!!

I remember following him hard when he was playing in allsvenskan in Sweden. His knee-injuries at the time were so severe it almost had him retire. That was only 3-4 years ago or so. What he's done is absolutely amazing and as a follow countryman I'll be rooting for him in every game (except against Detroit), even though he plays for the Ducks

Congrats on a great signing!

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Water Knight

I'm in shock. I was expecting this ,but I'm glad we have him locked up for a couple more years and at a manageable cap hit to boot. fire... I mean good job Murry.

Water Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Erik Christensen, IIRC. And O'Dell has quite a way to go to having even the somewhat limited NHL career Christensen had. By those standards, even following that up with just 2 assists in the playoffs and then literally nothing afterwards before being picked up off waivers, Christensen's 9 points in 17 games upon acquiring him for a prospect like O'Dell could more easily be considered a good deal.