HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
with the condensed schedule and limited practice... I don't see any way that Rolston can implement a different system

Old
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

VERY excited to see what he can bring in his own manner. Anyone writing him off based on what they've seen in ROC so far is off base
Very much this. Collier has called him the anti-Ruff on a few occasions today.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:43 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

vCash: 476
Hmm... I'm okay with this. For now

Old
02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
HiddenInLight

Im hoping for Dallas Eakin. I'd be ok with Roy as well....TBH I think Rolston is a bit of a cop out if they hire him full time, unless I get blown out of the water by this guy.

Old
slip

Let's see how much blood he can extract from these rocks.

Hopefully a lot.

Old
The Bank Statement
The Boss

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
Qualifications:

Must have won championship.

Must have record of cultivating young talent.

Must be a "player's coach".

Who fits this bill?
Ridiculous...every coach who has won a championship at one point hadn't...it's a vastly over-rated thing to look for in a coach.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
with the condensed schedule and limited practice... I don't see any way that Rolston can implement a different system
How about...let players play to their strengths instead of square peg round hole? That's a start!

Old
02-20-2013, 04:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
That is true but I'm hopeful he can make some adjustments.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:51 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

No problem with this. I'm not sure that there was really any plausible alternative anyway other than Patrick.

The interim tag is there meaning a search will take place at season's end. That's what we wanted.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Sabretip

My fear with Rolston being promoted is that his learning curve from collegiate to the minors and now to the NHL - all in less than 2 years - will become another crutch for the team to use to write off not only this season but next year as well. Injuries were the company calling card for explaining last season's failures.

I don't want a new, inexperienced coach trying to learn the ins and outs of the NHL and 29 other teams to be the next excuse.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
barcs

Hope he sets Grigs free.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Okay, here's the plan:

Forwards, you guys try to score goals. One guy stays high in the offensive zone and the other two guys smash people brains in along the boards.

Defensemen, you guys stay back and try to prevent goals. If VHP is on the ice, I want all of you to pinch at every opportunity. Oh and Leopold, you're fired.

Miller, here's some tissues.

Should take about 45 seconds.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
My fear with Rolston being promoted is that his learning curve from collegiate to the minors and now to the NHL - all in less than 2 years - will become another crutch for the team to use to write off not only this season but next year as well. Injuries were the company calling card for explaining last season's failures.

I don't want a new, inexperienced coach trying to learn the ins and outs of the NHL and 29 other teams to be the next excuse.
This season is already a lost cause. Next season will be a whole different ballgame as we'll have an entirely new coaching staff brought in over the off-season.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:59 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Okay, here's the plan:

Forwards, you guys try to score goals. One guy stays high in the offensive zone and the other two guys smash people brain's in along the boards.

Defensemen, you guys stay back and to prevent goals. If VHP is on the ice, I want all of you to pinch at every opportunity. Oh and Leopold, you're fired.

Miller, here's some tissues.

Should take about 45 seconds.

Well said

Old
02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
DixonWard15

I can't wait for posters to deride him as for not wearing gloves on the ice

Old
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Daz28

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Rolston as interim is fine. And if he is able to get a ton out of the players then why shouldn't he be given a chance to present himself as a candidate for the full time gig?

Nothing wrong with this decision at all as its not like Eakins could be pried away until then anyway.
The problem is 3 years ago Rolston was just some relatively unknown guy. This team wasted a lot of15 years, and now looks to go patient Terry mode by giving this guy his chance to fail, then go get a legit coach. Why not just try the legit coach approach NOW, then try another legit coach later?

Old
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Qualifications:

Must have won championship.

Must have record of cultivating young talent.

Must be a "player's coach".

Who fits this bill?
Cooper.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:09 PM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Good news is that it's a shortened season. And we already stink. I don't think we can be much worse, so he can use this season as a learning tool. If the players respond at all and we look better, yet still lose, he could still be hired next year. But the team has to look more motivated.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
The problem is 3 years ago Rolston was just some relatively unknown guy. This team wasted a lot of15 years, and now looks to go patient Terry mode by giving this guy his chance to fail, then go get a legit coach. Why not just try the legit coach approach NOW, then try another legit coach later?
Huh? What/who do you qualify as a "legit" coach? Rolston is a "legit" coach. Making him out to be something as "non-legit" is just asinine.

You heard Darcy, they just made the decision today. You aren't going to hire your new head coach within a couple of hours.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
You're missing what he said. He did not say Rolston is the new HC. He said he is the new interim HC. Massive difference.

Sounds to me like they will look at candidates and make a decision in the offseason.
Let's hope so.

Regier indicated more than I would have liked that Rolston's interim duties will be considered an on-the-job interview process, and that if things go well, he could become the new permanent coach.

I don't think Rolston is the best new coach we can get, so I am hoping Darcy was simply paying Rolston lip service.

Even if the Sabres feel they know who their next man will be, and it is not Rolston, Darcy would have likely said what he did say.

So it is too early to comment on who the permanent coach will be.

Should be an interesting remainder of season and off-season.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:13 PM
The Washer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Qualifications:

Must have won championship.Undetermined

Must have record of cultivating young talent. Rolston

Must be a "player's coach". Rolston

Who fits this bill?
This dude is gonna surprise peoples....Im getting on board early for THIS season.....Im all for the "leave no stone unturned" Coach hunt thinga majigger....he is my Darkhorse favorite. Eakins would be cool.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:13 PM
sabrefan27

Didn't even think he was a good AHL coach. I'll give him a chance though. Maybe his personality will work with the team.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Didn't even think he was a good AHL coach. I'll give him a chance though. Maybe his personality will work with the team.
what didn't you like? I think he got several players ready last year and this to perform for the Amerks and the Sabres which ultimately was his job.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:17 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
what didn't you like? I think he got several players ready last year and this to perform for the Amerks and the Sabres which ultimately was his job.
McNabb regressed. Varone has regressed. Adam hasn't improved at all, still a mess. Defense was the worst in the league. Had until January to figure it out, only continued to get worse all season. Only improved due to Pardy's presence. Poor in game adjustments. Weird line combination and defensive pairs.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
You'll hear a lot negative about him, but the Amerks have been at the very least decent since he took over...

Closed Thread