HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
I listen to them as well, Center Ice, and I've heard it maybe once or twice about Kuli. I'm sorry, but he's not 'very good.' He hasn't been that physical except in one game, and his bad mistakes usually lead to a goal against because he tries a stupid pass. It's a constant, he hasn't learned. He couldn't hit the Great Wall if it were 2 inches away, either.

I'm fine if he sticks around, hope he gets better and can become what everyone hopes, but when most of the posters start saying the same things, there's truth to it. I talk to several guys off the boards as well (text or in person) as well as other fans, and many feel the same.

All in all, I trust Tallon completely. Right or wrong, IMO he's earned it. If he chooses to keep Kuli around, I'll trust it. If he chooses to move him, I'll trust that, too.

02-19-2013, 10:34 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I often listen to the opposing team's broadcasters and they're almost always impressed with Kulikov because most of the game he is impressive. He plays really well 95% of the game and then 5% makes a stupid mistake bad play. That's the type of thing that with proper coaching can be fixed. He's all over the ice, he's been very physical, and his d for the most part has been very good.

Kulikov had a bad playoffs last year but this year he's been one of our best d-man. He's somehow a +1 despite our terrible goal differential playing over 20 minutes a night, most nights. Kulikov is very good.

Look, I like Guds, I think he has first pairing potential in a few years. I simply think he's been nothing special so far this year. It's only been a handful of games for him and he's not even getting much ice time.
Nice write up. I agree with you 100%. Hopefully both of them start to work on their offensive skills during the end of the season. Kuli needs to work on his shot accuracy (even though sometimes they do it on purpose). They have alot of room to grow into great dmen.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Kulikov has been OK. And I am a fan. lots of mistakes, lots of bright spots. I dont mind that, I have patience with our youth.

Wish we had youth between pipes for me to be patient with as well.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessthan900 View Post
I agree. Although I don't understand why Tallon doesn't do something to help us advance--we are going backwards. And there is no end to the awful things I could say about the Panthers of the past. Although I enjoyed the years when the Panthers were penalty kings.
Like I said in another post earlier in this thread, this year is a success if our prospects grow and develop and we add another pick who has the ability to fill out our first line. I think people feel like were going backwards when in reality last year was an aberration. If all you had to do was sign a whole ton of free agents in order to win your division, then each year the bottom dwellers would cut half their roster and sign all the free agents. But the truth is that signing a ton of FAs is not supposed to be a model for winning a division. Last year was a breath of fresh air for a franchise that was suffocating. But we are not that good yet. We just arent. Over the next few years our roster will get younger and younger as more and more of our prospects make the team. This is by design. Because we have so many young boys on the team, they will not have the experience, resolve, or ability to make the playoffs. Again, thats a good thing. Theyve got to lose so much, and hate it so much, that they develop the will to win. The next 2-3 years of losing will also continue to keep our prospect pool full of talent as we begin to deplete it by adding our prospects to our roster. At some point the team will be made up of mostly players we drafted. They will be young talented players who are sick of losing, and slowly, they will start to win. Once we start to get close, we will supplement the missing pieces with big name free agents, and that will put us over the hump. Thats the plan that DT is putting in place. So unfortunately, get use to losing in the short term. My way of dealing with it is by redefining winning as seeing our prospects develop. So if Hubs is out there and creates a bunch of amazing scoring chances, but the team loses, thats a win in my mind cause Hubs is gonna be one of the guys on our first line when we win a cup, and he's gonna need the lessons that he learned in this loss.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
We win as a team and we lose as a team,
it's still too early to give up on the dream.
The present is dark but the future looks bright,
I trust in Tallon to make all things right.

Stranger things have happened in sports than a 5pt defecit with 2/3 of a season left. Yes only 5pts out while having two 5-game losing streaks. Yes the whole team from top to bottom including our coaching is not peforming to our expectations. We have higher expectations now because of last year's success. Every year will not be an exact replica of the year prior and we have to realize this team is different than 2012. The system that worked last year is not working this year. The time for the players to take accountability is now along with the time for some soul searching. A new system has to be adopted by all.

Show some thick skin and keep the chin up.

Excuses are like buttholes, everyone's got one.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
MST3K all day!

I like Kulikov as a player. His puck control in the offensive zone really bothers me though. If a player passes him the puck around the boards, 9 times out of 10 it seems to hop his stick and end the offensive play. He has real trouble maintaining possession of the puck in the offensive zone. I'm not sure if that's due to bad ice in Sunrise but he doesn't seem to be getting a handle on it. Other than that, I think he's solid.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Tuco

Just tank already.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
I'm not sure if that's due to bad ice in Sunrise but he doesn't seem to be getting a handle on it.
A couple of years back, the players in a survey called it the wrost in the league. (it's softer, hence slower)

I like Kulikov defensively, seeing him contain Ovechkin on a couple of breakaway was really nice to see, but he did an awful pass in overtime. Although, every player look lost in 4v4 it's not even funny.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Georgia Panther

With the Jets and the Kings wins we are now alone having the third worst record in the entire NHL!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjl-CDpDP9g

Old
02-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Howboutthempanthers

If you're going to have a bad season, this is the year to do it, especially for the Panthers. This draft is a good time to have a high pick. And also, the Panthers are not close to winning a cup, they are still in rebuilding mode. I'm not saying tank, I hate to lose too. But don't go trading away assets that will only result in getting a lower draft pick. Because it's little chance we're going to make the playoffs without a MAJOR overhall to the lineup, which will require giving away a whole lot of picks and prospects. Which is something I for one, would be horrified to see. And also I'm fine with them taking their time with Markstrom. Again outside of trying get a lower draft pick I don't see the point in rushing that proccess. He will probably see some time this season anyway so I'm not impatient. Plus he will definitely see time next season so it's no big deal whatever time he gets with the Panthers this year.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:49 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Upshall should be traded before next season, there isn't room for him anymore..

Flash-?-Steeg
Huber-Shore-Mueller
Kopecky-Goc-Bergy
Skille-Matthias-Parros

Unless he wants to fight Skille/Parros for a 4th line spot. I doubt he was looking for that when he signed here.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

Flash-?-Steeg
Huber-Shore-Mueller
Kopecky-Goc-Bergy
Skille-Matthias-Parros

Unless he wants to fight Skille/Parros for a 4th line spot. I doubt he was looking for that when he signed here.
Will Upshall be cleared to play before April 3rd? Can we trade an injured player? I'd be fine just cutting the salary for a 4th round pick. He has to be at least worth a 5th rounder.........right?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

Flash-?-Steeg
Huber-Shore-Mueller
Kopecky-Goc-Bergy
Skille-Matthias-Parros

Who would want him? Only way he gets traded is if we take his equivalent back. Tallon will have to buy him out.

I'm not so sure Bergy will be back. He could be traded. Of course, I'm speculating and I want him on this team, but with this mysterious situation going on it wouldn't surprise me to see Bergy moved.

First line C spot scares me. I'm pretty sure Weiss wont be back at this point. There will be some free agents. Perhaps we could get Ribiero from Washington but he's going to fetch more than we will probably offer. If we don't get a legitimate replacement for Weiss next year, we're not making the playoffs, imo.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
If you're going to have a bad season, this is the year to do it, especially for the Panthers. This draft is a good time to have a high pick. And also, the Panthers are not close to winning a cup, they are still in rebuilding mode. I'm not saying tank, I hate to lose too. But don't go trading away assets that will only result in getting a lower draft pick. Because it's little chance we're going to make the playoffs without a MAJOR overhall to the lineup, which will require giving away a whole lot of picks and prospects. Which is something I for one, would be horrified to see. And also I'm fine with them taking their time with Markstrom. Again outside of trying get a lower draft pick I don't see the point in rushing that proccess. He will probably see some time this season anyway so I'm not impatient. Plus he will definitely see time next season so it's no big deal whatever time he gets with the Panthers this year.
Agree with all of it. The biggest possible move for Tallon is Weiss. TSN Insider trading reporting Dan Boyle could be on the block. Link here: http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/868561/clip/0

He will be 37 in July, signed through 2013-14 at $6.6million avergaing 50pts for the last 6 out of 7 years. I feel he's too old now to fit in our plan moving forward.

Ryan O'Reilly should be our prime target if Weiss is leaving. I know the kid is 22 and wants a multi-year at $5million but that's what Weiss would want as well. The upside is O'reilly is a younger and improved version of Weiss also being 8 years younger. I would just love to see a #1 and #2combo of O'reilly and Bjugstad for years to come. Matthias has shown he's capable of the 3rd line duties but needs a new contract at the end of this year. We have many prospects at Center to fill out the 4th line role.

I'd be sad to see Weiss go because I feel he stayed through it all, was very consistent offensively and defensively for years but never got the respect from the league he deserved. He's having a rough time this season with this apparent injury and wish him nothing but sucess wherever he plays even if it's back in a Panther jersey next year. He is a solid 2-way Center that could easily fit in under the #1 Center on any team. Maybe Weiss isn't in Tallon's plan moving forward. The next 2-3 weeks will dictate alot of what will happen with Weiss.

Last edited by CanadianPanther: 02-20-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Agree with all of it. The biggest possible move for Tallon is Weiss. TSN Insider trading reporting Dan Boyle could be on the block. Link here: http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/868561/clip/0

He will be 37 in July, signed through 2013-14 at $6.6million avergaing 50pts for the last 6 out of 7 years. I feel he's too old now to fit in our plan moving forward.

Ryan O'Reilly should be our prime target if Weiss is leaving. I know the kid is 22 and wants a multi-year at $5million but that's what Weiss would want as well. The upside is O'reilly is a younger and improved version of Weiss being 8 years younger. I would just love to see a #1 and #2combo of O'reilly and Bjugstad for years to come. Matthias has shown he's capable of the 3rd line duties but needs a new contract at the end of this year. We have many prospects at Center to fill out the 4th line role.

I'd be sad to see Weiss go because I feel he stayed through it all and never got the respect from the league he deserved. He's having a rough time this season with this apparent injury and wish him nothing but sucess wherever he plays even if it's back in a Panther jersey next year. He is a solid 2-way Center that could easily fit in under the #1 Center on any team.
Since we called him up from Chicago.. I never once thought Weiss was good on the powerplay. We'll miss his two-way play, but we need to move forward with the plan. The thought of keeping him around belongs in a movie script. Any way to make the team better at the end of the day. Tallon's been quoted saying that a lot since he was brought in as GM.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Who would want him? Only way he gets traded is if we take his equivalent back. Tallon will have to buy him out.

I'm not so sure Bergy will be back. He could be traded. Of course, I'm speculating and I want him on this team, but with this mysterious situation going on it wouldn't surprise me to see Bergy moved.

First line C spot scares me. I'm pretty sure Weiss wont be back at this point. There will be some free agents. Perhaps we could get Ribiero from Washington but he's going to fetch more than we will probably offer. If we don't get a legitimate replacement for Weiss next year, we're not making the playoffs, imo.
I think Upshall will be bought out too. He just doesn't fit on this team anymore. Idk if Bergy will be traded this summer. I don't think we will get a better player who can do the things he does for less money. I think Tallon will keep him around at least for one more year, he is needed. 1st line center is indeed a scary thought. Maybe we trade Weiss for a young/inconsistent center if Weiss agrees to waive. There aren't many options that would be as good or better than him.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
IMO there's a few teams close to the floor that could use his services.

- Isles
- Yotes (if we keep some of the salary)
- Avs

Upshall is still a serviceable player, but not a fit for this team anymore and IMO never was. He needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
IMO there's a few teams close to the floor that could use his services.

- Isles
- Yotes (if we keep some of the salary)
- Avs

Upshall is still a serviceable player, but not a fit for this team anymore and IMO never was. He needs a fresh start somewhere else.
I disagree. He's not even a player. He can't stay healthy. His entire career is one injury after another.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
I disagree. He's not even a player. He can't stay healthy. His entire career is one injury after another.
Well Soupy did bring up a good point, the Isles. If they traded for Thomas, they'll trade for anybody. Thomas will probably never play again.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:02 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Well Soupy did bring up a good point, the Isles. If they traded for Thomas, they'll trade for anybody. Thomas will probably never play again.
That's a great trade for them though because I don't think they actually pay him. It's just the cap hit.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
That's a great trade for them though because I don't think they actually pay him. It's just the cap hit.
I know, that is the ideal trade for them, but if they can't lure anybody better this summer, I can see them trading for Upshall. I'm not sure when the deadline for the compliance buyouts is though.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Knightmare

Quote:
I think Upshall will be bought out too. He just doesn't fit on this team anymore. Idk if Bergy will be traded this summer. I don't think we will get a better player who can do the things he does for less money. I think Tallon will keep him around at least for one more year, he is needed. 1st line center is indeed a scary thought. Maybe we trade Weiss for a young/inconsistent center if Weiss agrees to waive. There aren't many options that would be as good or better than him.
Some interesting UFA-to-be centers if Weiss goes: Nik Antropov, Andy McDonald, Tim Connolly

Old
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
Some interesting UFA-to-be centers if Weiss goes: Nik Antropov, Andy McDonald, Tim Connolly
I like McDonald, but yeah after the 1st few guys, it gets kinda hairy. Also I could be wrong but I don't think McDonald has played center in years.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Knightmare

Quote:
I like McDonald, but yeah after the 1st few guys, it gets kinda hairy. Also I could be wrong but I don't think McDonald has played center in years.
Yeah you're right, he's primarily a left wing for St. Louis.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
FrolikFan67

yea, unless we draft a mackinnon or barkov ive been saying mcdonald for a while now. if we were to potentially draft mackinnon or barkov (you never know, especially with where we're at) then they could potentially play next season. if we draft monahan, or lindholm, i could see us signing mcdonald if available for 1 or 2 years. if we draft drouin, or any non-center, then perhaps 2 or 3 years to mcdonald (more comfortable with 2). theres also ribeiro, roy, bozak, and antropov.

Closed Thread