HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Garrison

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
  #1
BrookswasHere44
Registered User
 
BrookswasHere44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Jason Garrison

How has he been for you guys?

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
  #2
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,737
vCash: 500
He didn't score for a few games and now everyone hates him.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
  #3
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
How has he been for you guys?
He undoubtedly has the best playoff beard so far.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
  #4
sk8er
Registered User
 
sk8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
I think he will be fine. It's taken him quite a while to get accustomed to our system. It seems most defensemen take longer to get used to it for some reason. It took Keith Ballard a loooooonng time, but he is playing pretty amazing right now. Give Garrison time and he will be much better.

sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
  #5
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
He still doesn't seem fully confident in the new system, but he gets better each week. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone seeing as it's 15 games in and they've had minimal practices, but our idiot fanbase is already screaming for him to be bought out.

The offense needs to be better though. Not totally his fault, but he's not getting many pucks on net. Setups need to be better and more frequent and his shot needs to be more accurate. Otherwise no complaints from this fan.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
  #6
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Clearly adjusting to a completely new system. The difference in Van's system & the Panthers is a pretty big one & takes time to adjust to. It also seems like some people who said they were ok if he didn't put up 16 goals or the same amount of points were lying.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
  #7
HAMMY5
Registered User
 
HAMMY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Abbotsford BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
He didn't score for a few games and now everyone hates him.
^ this

But He will be fine once he settles in alittle more.

HAMMY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
  #8
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
What the OP does not realize is that this simple question will lead to 1000 posts or arguing.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
  #9
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
What the OP does not realize is that this simple question will lead to 1000 posts or arguing.
Luongo for Gardiner and Kadri.

Kesler should have been moved to the wing with Hodgson in the middle.

Fire AV.

Otto kicked it in.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
  #10
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
It's odd how every big salary player MG brings in does not seem to fit right away. We're hoping Garrison gets it together, but so far he doesn't like anything like the player we thought we were getting. Personally I'd take Salo at two years over Garrison right now with the way theyre both playing.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:41 PM
  #11
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,529
vCash: 500
hes been fine but people like crapping on him because he only has 1 goal

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
  #12
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
It's odd how every big salary player MG brings in does not seem to fit right away. We're hoping Garrison gets it together, but so far he doesn't like anything like the player we thought we were getting. Personally I'd take Salo at two years over Garrison right now with the way theyre both playing.
Hamhuis, Malhotra, and Samuelsson did pretty well with the Canucks didn't they?

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
  #13
sk8er
Registered User
 
sk8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Luongo for Gardiner and Kadri.

Kesler should have been moved to the wing with Hodgson in the middle.

Fire AV.

Otto kicked it in.
well, he did kick it in!!

sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:53 PM
  #14
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 50
Goal scoring isn't why we signed Garrison and it's not the stat that he should be measured by.

He's been just OK by my count but I hope he can be better, especially at his cap hit. Still looking to find a partner he has chemistry with and he's obviously adjusting to the Canucks system.

Fans should give him this season + playoffs minimum before they start proclaiming anything one way or the other.

I guess it should be noted that he's on the bottom pairing with Ballard for the Dallas game. That's an 8.8m dollar bottom pairing for those keeping count. Canucks do tend to spread the ice time fairly evenly though... but still.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
  #15
Alan Jackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Goal scoring isn't why we signed Garrison and it's not the stat that he should be measured by.
I think his 16 goals last season are a pretty big reason why the Canucks wanted him. Not the only reason, of course, but they would have been looking to replace Salo's shot on the PP.

That said, it's pretty difficult to be hard on Garrison for not scoring when he's not on the PP. Defencemen aren't going to score without PP time.

I think he's been just OK. Clearly adjusting to a new team, but certainly looks to be a useful player.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
  #16
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I think his 16 goals last season are a pretty big reason why the Canucks wanted him. Not the only reason, of course, but they would have been looking to replace Salo's shot on the PP.

That said, it's pretty difficult to be hard on Garrison for not scoring when he's not on the PP. Defencemen aren't going to score without PP time.

I think he's been just OK. Clearly adjusting to a new team, but certainly looks to be a useful player.
God, I hope that's not true...

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
  #17
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I think his 16 goals last season are a pretty big reason why the Canucks wanted him. Not the only reason, of course, but they would have been looking to replace Salo's shot on the PP.

That said, it's pretty difficult to be hard on Garrison for not scoring when he's not on the PP. Defencemen aren't going to score without PP time.

I think he's been just OK. Clearly adjusting to a new team, but certainly looks to be a useful player.
I thought he handled Toews off the rush remarkably well last night. He'll get ripped for the Hossa goal, but I think he's coming around in his own end.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:04 PM
  #18
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.
 
Canadian Gold X3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nanaimo B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
Known Jason since junior, He's a VERY good defense man. He'll round out here, soon. He was a big part of our run to the Fred Page cup. He won top d-man in the BCHL in 2005.


Last edited by Canadian Gold X3: 02-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
  #19
thepuckmonster
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,526
vCash: 500
Coach Hottie coaches with Bestwick and Billy B says not to worry about Garrison, he'll be a stud for us by half mark.

Also in contention for best looking Canuck. Meow.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:22 PM
  #20
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,419
vCash: 500
Hasn't helped that the partner's he's had haven't been playing exactly great either.

Different in the case of Ballard; where Ballard had at least training camp to get himself settled in. Garrison has been literally shown in the deep end of the pool. Sure, a veteran should be able to adapt; but it's no surprise the transition hasn't been a smooth one so far.

Give it some more time.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
  #21
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,256
vCash: 500
he's been okay. but his skating still looks awkward to me. doesnt have the footspeed to come back. but hes a big body which is good. defensively he's been alright.. some mistakes here and there. IM still waiting for him to release his Booming shot.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM
  #22
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,737
vCash: 500
http://blog.playnow.com/nhl-quick-hi...ensive-issues/

Quote:
To say that Vancouver’s defensive play was “permissive” against the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday night is a massive under-statement. It was, quite easily, the worst defensive performance the club has put in during a single game over the past three years, and of course the mood in Canuckistan is grim as a direct result. But before you go making Jason Garrison – and his positive possession play against tough opposition – a healthy scratch in favour of Cam Barker, you should probably take a deep breath.

There’s a few factors at play here and an awful lot of less-panicky buttons that Alain Vigneault and Rick Bowness (who runs the defense), can push to fix Vancouver’s issues. That is if the issues even exist, and I’m not completely sure that they do.

For example, while the Canucks were a swiss cheese defensive unit last night, it’s not as if they’ve been building to this crescendo of sloppy coverage over the past few games. In fact, Vancouver’s defensive play during their recent homestand was pretty solid and they held two likely playoff teams in the Stars (Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars (+120, 5.5)) and the St. Louis Blues to fewer than ten scoring chances at even-strength in the games leading up to Tuesday night. It’s also not necessarily that the Canucks matchup poorly with the Blackhawks in particular – though arguably they do – as they were able to hold Chicago’s team to 12 even-strength chances in the previous meeting between the two clubs in January.

To me, it appears like last night’s game was a one off fire drill outing for Vancouver defensively, and I really don’t think it necessarily revealed any dire structural issues. Vancouver’s defenders were beaten one-on-one pretty consistently by a variety of Chicago forwards, but sometimes even a stellar blue-line group is going to have an awful game like Vancouver’s did. The key is not to over-react to the result of any one play.

For example, Jason Garrison looked completely lost on Marian Hossa’s second goal on Tuesday night. He basically stayed in no-man’s land, was late on any semblance of panic coverage and allowed Marian Hossa to walk untouched into the slot. That’s ugly, of course. But while he continues to underwhelm Canucks fans – partly because of a lack of offensive production, and the fact that he looked like a square hole in a round peg on Vancouver’s first power-play unit early in the season – the fact remains that Jason Garrison has been a huge upgrade over Sami Salo at even-strength so far this season. He’s playing the second toughest minutes on the team, and while he’s been fortunate with the bounces (his 106 PDO will regress significantly over the balance of the season) the Canucks have managed to control play and limit the goals against (generally speaking) with him on the ice.

Look, I’ve been consistent in saying that Vancouver’s blue-line probably isn’t quite the “strength” that other analysts though it was. But they’re certainly nowhere near as woeful as a group as they looked Tuesday night.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:49 PM
  #23
Virtanen2Horvat
Radim Vrbata #17
 
Virtanen2Horvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 647
He has been good defensively but Offensively he hasn't and he hasn't got much PP time.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
  #24
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,437
vCash: 500
I honestly wonder how much of his low point total is simply dumb luck. The team has scored 17 goals with him on the ice and he has a measly 2 points out of that.

Obviously his goal total wouldn't be affected by this, but when he's been on for 3 more goals than Hamhuis but has only 1 assist compared to Hamhuis' 7, it does make you wonder.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:16 PM
  #25
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...
 
Jack Tripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
he gets alot of unwarranted attention because he doesn't have the smooth mobility of hamhuis, the offensive flair of edler or the unpredictability of bieksa but imo he's been more consistent than any of the above mentioned defenders this year

just because he has an awkward skating style doesn't mean he's got poor footspeed or can't handle defenders one-on-one...i mean, ballard and hamhuis have excellent mobility but got embarrased last night with hawk players beating them one-on-one while garrison has shown very good positioning and stick checking ability

he needs more time to get comfortable and you can see that in how often he throws the puck along the boards in the defensive zone to nobody, although part of that is that he plays with bieksa and the support for the d from the forwards has been non-existent the past few games...he's also been playing against the opposition's top players while tanev and ballard, while playing above expectations, have been receiving the easier minutes

coaching staff needs to get him back on at least the 2nd unit pp and pair him with somebody more reliable than bieksa to get some more confidence...hearing his interview today, it sounded like he knows he's the new whipping boy and it's unclear how he'll respond to it mentally

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.