HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

The Sharks are literally off to the races

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
  #26
dwood16
Registered User
 
dwood16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,649
vCash: 500
I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised with Vlasic's results. He has always been a very good skater. That's part of what makes him such a good defender. He covers a ton of ice.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
  #27
murdock1116
Registered User
 
murdock1116's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Vlasic just needs to be "Unleashed". He could be one of the best Dmen in the league if he utilized his speed better and started thinking more offensively.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:51 PM
  #28
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised with Vlasic's results. He has always been a very good skater. That's part of what makes him such a good defender. He covers a ton of ice.


It's not that Vlasic's a bad skater, it's that Burns is REALLY fast when he's healthy.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
  #29
Mafoofoo
Hockey
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I honestly don't know how Vlasic won the defense race. He just never seems like a speedster when you watch him.
They told him the winner of the defensive race gets a signed Celine Dion album.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:05 PM
  #30
TealTownUSA
Registered User
 
TealTownUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 415
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
They told him the winner of the defensive race gets a signed Celine Dion album.
as long as it aint bieber, they'll be all for it.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
  #31
Danish Pastry
this is dream!
 
Danish Pastry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
naw they said the winner gets paired with murray... so vlasic took one for the team...

in reality they should have let murray win... then he can partner with doug wilson in the press box...

Danish Pastry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:10 PM
  #32
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Bye Joe.
Not on a team that employs handguns.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
  #33
Hatrick Marleau
#Gutless
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: #awkward
Posts: 4,161
vCash: 500
It would be funny to see how badly Murray lost.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:25 PM
  #34
Man in the Mirror
Registered User
 
Man in the Mirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
It would be funny to see how badly Murray lost.
lold

Man in the Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:26 PM
  #35
TealTownUSA
Registered User
 
TealTownUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 415
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
It would be funny to see how badly Murray lost.
murray don't lose *grunt* murray check you *grunt* murray win .......*grunt*

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:29 PM
  #36
wtfisthis
Registered User
 
wtfisthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,743
vCash: 500
Murray was probably still trying to finish while everyone was already changed back into street clothes getting ready to leave.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
  #37
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I honestly don't know how Vlasic won the defense race. He just never seems like a speedster when you watch him.
He actually looks fast when he gets going in a straight line. He just can't do anything with the puck.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:51 PM
  #38
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks
 
Rapid eye movemenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
What would be more important is a race from point A to B turn on a dime, then back to A.

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
  #39
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks
 
Rapid eye movemenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Not on a team that employs handguns.
Zues does look "faster" this year, relatively speaking.

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
  #40
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,696
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Not on a team that employs handguns.
Zeus actually hasn't been as slow as he was last season. I think he's finally healthy, and looks pretty decent. Besides, I was talking about the top-6 group.

But seriously, we know Marleau's the fastest and Havlat will have been second, but I'd love to see how Couture/Pavelski/Thornton/Clowe stack up. Gonna guess Couture->Thornton->Pavelski->Clowe, but I'd really like to know.

I believe it was a race around the rink.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
  #41
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks
 
Rapid eye movemenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Zeus actually hasn't been as slow as he was last season. I think he's finally healthy, and looks pretty decent. Besides, I was talking about the top-6 group.

But seriously, we know Marleau's the fastest and Havlat will have been second, but I'd love to see how Couture/Pavelski/Thornton/Clowe stack up. Gonna guess Couture->Thornton->Pavelski->Clowe, but I'd really like to know.

I believe it was a race around the rink.
I'd put Clowe above Pavs. Pavs looks incredibly slow these days.

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
  #42
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
I'd put Clowe above Pavs. Pavs looks incredibly slow these days.
There is not a chance in hell Pav's is slower than Clowe. Only Murray and maybe Handzus are slower than Clowe.

I would expect forward wise something like:

Marleau > Kennedy > Burish > Havlat > Wingels > Galiardi > Desjardins > Sheppard > Thornton > Couture > Pavelski > Handzus > Clowe

And Defense:

Burns > Vlasic > Boyle > Braun > Demers > Stuart > Murray

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
  #43
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealTownUSA View Post
murray don't lose *grunt* murray check you *grunt* murray win .......*grunt*
Murray Grimlock! Grimlock no bozo, he king!

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
  #44
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Gonna guess Couture->Thornton->Pavelski->Clowe, but I'd really like to know.
If they were skating around the rink, it would go

Marleau -> Havlat -> Couture -> Thornton -> Pavelski -> Marleau -> Havlat -> Clowe

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM
  #45
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,696
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
If they were skating around the rink, it would go

Marleau -> Havlat -> Couture -> Thornton -> Pavelski -> Marleau -> Havlat -> Clowe
Got me there.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
  #46
Stash
You talkin to me?
 
Stash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Surprised about Pickles and Burish. Neither one of them appear to be fast in games. Maybe the only other D and bottom 6 to compete were Murray and Zus.

Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:03 PM
  #47
landshark
Beat L. A.!
 
landshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: outer richmond dist
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
If they were skating around the rink, it would go

Marleau -> Havlat -> Couture -> Thornton -> Pavelski -> Marleau -> Havlat -> Clowe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Got me there.

Wow! Patty and Marty are so fast they'd lap Clowe before he finished a lap?

Outside of that, i'd also be interested in where the coach threw which players in regards to guys like Shep, Kennedy or Galliardi etc... Are they skatin' with the top 6 group or the bottom 6 group?

I love the thought of this in practice, i think they should have four versions:

1. lap around the rink
2. end to end and back slaloming cones

then those two things again hauling the puck...

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:17 PM
  #48
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,592
vCash: 500
On a slightly tangential note, does everyone think that Murray(I will, for the time being, not refer to him as fatass)'s issues only stem from a lack of speed?

I don't think he is any slower than he's always been. But he is definitely less physical....he doesn't look as strong out there, and he's making poor decisions with the puck. There used to be a time when the opposition wouldn't dump the puck in Murray's corner, because he'd win that fight any time, make that one quick pass over the blueline, and really start the counter-attack.

For the past year+, it doesn't seem like Murray is suddenly being beaten to loose pucks, it just seems like he is no longer winning the majority of puck battles. Moreover, the puck isn't settling on his stick, and his puck protection skills seem to have diminshed.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:18 PM
  #49
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Surprised about Pickles and Burish. Neither one of them appear to be fast in games. Maybe the only other D and bottom 6 to compete were Murray and Zus.
Burish has always had above-average wheels...it just Torrey Mitchell syndrome; speed but without any skills to make that speed useful.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
  #50
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,696
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
On a slightly tangential note, does everyone think that Murray(I will, for the time being, not refer to him as fatass)'s issues only stem from a lack of speed?

I don't think he is any slower than he's always been. But he is definitely less physical....he doesn't look as strong out there, and he's making poor decisions with the puck. There used to be a time when the opposition wouldn't dump the puck in Murray's corner, because he'd win that fight any time, make that one quick pass over the blueline, and really start the counter-attack.

For the past year+, it doesn't seem like Murray is suddenly being beaten to loose pucks, it just seems like he is no longer winning the majority of puck battles. Moreover, the puck isn't settling on his stick, and his puck protection skills seem to have diminshed.
No, I agree with you. Several of the skills that made him a good top-4 defenseman have vanished in the past two seasons.

1) Positioning. He used to make up for foot speed with strong positioning and the ability to recognize when he needed to haul ass before the opposing player got going.

2) Choosing when to hit. The thing I used to love about Murray is that he never sacrificed defensive positioning to make a hit. He'd rarely get caught stepping up to make a hit when the puck wasn't there. Now, he chooses terrible times to step up.

3) Outlet passing. He used to have a pretty good outlet pass that made up for a lot of his offensive deficiencies. Somehow, he forgot how to get the puck out of the zone overnight.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.