HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Overachieving, The Real Deal or Easy Schedule?

View Poll Results: How would you explain the recent success?
Over-Achieving 41 19.16%
Easy Schedule 28 13.08%
The Real Deal 55 25.70%
All of the Above 90 42.06%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Price has most definitely stolen games by finding a laser-beam focus he's never had before. He's smothered shots that would've been juicy rebounds, he's blocked shots through a maze of players that very few other goalies could've seen, let alone stopped. I've never been a Price groupie, always liked him but never saw the elite goalie others did. But this year he's shown it, he's proving that he is elite. He has arrived.
I thought he arrived 2 years ago tbh, but I'm glad others are now seeing it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Going into this season I was one of the more optimistic posters about our chances to be a playoff team. We have a very good group of d-men and an elite goaltender but are pretty mediocre up front. The team is still undersized but there is alot of heart, grit and leadership that should be enough to get us into the playoffs barring potential injury woes.

That being said, this team is absolutely over achieving as it simply is not the best team in the eastern conference. There will inevitably be a rough stretch and the true test of this team will be to see how they handle that and rebound from it.
Yeah, everything is still up in the air as to who our offensive leaders are besides Pacioretty and Plekanec, the former whom has been managing to produce even through he has been invisible most of the games but he shouldn't have played the majority of them in the first place. But the thing is, if our first line hadn't been so terrible we could say we are rolling out 3 quality scoring lines up front. It's a very thin line right now and I saw good things when they were re-united against the NYR. In my head I told myself ''yeah, this is the line from last year'' even if briefly.

That and coupled with the fact that Subban hasn't been unleashed yet makes me think that this team has the potential to be way more dangerous and we've had such a great start. Can't help but feel optimistic.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
F Boston. Why does everyone just assume that they are better than this team? Because they are big bullies and can hit a lot? It very well could have been this team winning the Cup 2 years ago. They might certainly be better, but the two teams take similarly different approach to the same endpoint. They both walk a fine line between winning and losing any given game, because they rely on good goaltending and depth of scoring. I for one, would argue that they are both built not just for success during the regular season, but the playoffs as well.

What are usually the biggest determining factors in advancing in the playoffs? Depth of scoring and good goaltending, right? Both of these teams have excellent goaltenders, and finally we can boast having a comparable amount of depth. Sure we may not win every game, but over a 7 game series, the law of averages will take over, and this team will win more than it loses. Any given night we have 3 lines that can put the puck in the net, and a goaltender who doesn't give up too many at the other end.

This is going to be one heck of a season. Real deal.
I agree, real deal

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
The play on the points of the PP has been strong. And we are seeing more
net crashing, than sometimes in the past. But we lack real finishers, beyond
MaxPac. It is here that the two Gallys could maybe play more.
Still the PP looks dangerous enough. So I imagine It'll come around.
One thing that I noticed is that if we dump the puck in, the PP will not be successful. Too often the puck is fired right back out and time is wasted on trying to get the puck back into the offensive zone.

The PP is more successful when the puck is skated/passed in. Once the Habs set up and has the other team chasing the puck instead of the Habs chasing the puck, we are more effective.

Dumping the puck must end soon.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
DAChampion

I am eating a lot of crow.

This is no lottery team.

I really approve of Therrien. He is properly managing lines, playing skill with skill and grinder with grinder. It is a change from the carbo - Martin - cunny era of playing rookies in defensive situations against elite players, or white-plekanec-staubitz as a 2nd line.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Darth Joker

I don't know how we can say the team is "overarchieving" when some of our key players are actually underachieving.

DD, Cole, and Gionta are all underachieving. So was Patches until recently. That's a big chunk of our offensive core.

So I think it's some mix of "The Real Deal" and "Easy Schedule". Or, to put it more clearly, the Eastern Conference in general is simply very weak this year, allowing a flawed but mostly deep/solid Habs team to somehow be 1st in the Conference right now.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:41 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
1. chicago - west
2. anahiem - west
3. US - east
4. sidney - east
5. Broduer - east
6. Hillbillies - west
7. Ogres - east
8. twin sisters - west
9. ha ha ha ha's - east
10. Mr.Anderson -east

6 of the top ten are from the east so how is the east crap?

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I am eating a lot of crow.

This is no lottery team.

I really approve of Therrien. He is properly managing lines, playing skill with skill and grinder with grinder. It is a change from the carbo - Martin - cunny era of playing rookies in defensive situations against elite players, or white-plekanec-staubitz as a 2nd line.
Im not eating nor serving crow.

I am pleasantly surprised though.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
I don't know how we can say the team is "overarchieving" when some of our key players are actually underachieving.

DD, Cole, and Gionta are all underachieving. So was Patches until recently. That's a big chunk of our offensive core.

So I think it's some mix of "The Real Deal" and "Easy Schedule". Or, to put it more clearly, the Eastern Conference in general is simply very weak this year, allowing a flawed but mostly deep/solid Habs team to somehow be 1st in the Conference right now.
You cant call this an easy schedule when other teams in the East are playing the same teams in the East as we are.

And the East vs West is always debateable. The Canucks were supposed to beat Boston. The Kings were not supposed to beat any team from the East.

Game by game. That is how the Habs are approaching this and thankfully not fretting on why they are where they are.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
1. chicago - west
2. anahiem - west
3. US - east
4. sidney - east
5. Broduer - east
6. Hillbillies - west
7. Ogres - east
8. twin sisters - west
9. ha ha ha ha's - east
10. Mr.Anderson -east

6 of the top ten are from the east so how is the east crap?
Maybe because the East is only playing the East?

The top 6 AHL team have a better record than the top 6 NHL teams, what could that mean?

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:59 PM
habfan1968

But the west is also only playing the west too.

both conferences have easy wins in them.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
But the west is also only playing the west too.

both conferences have easy wins in them.
Please stop. You are dismantling the premise.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
DAChampion

It is not an easy schedule.

Our division might be the best in the conference. The total differential is not+24, compared to discuss+4 in the Atlantic and -28 in the southeast.

However, we have played 10 home games vs 6 away games. That helps a little, the equivalent of ~1 point in the standings.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
I would say all of them.

I think we should be around 5th-8th place, but an easy schedule and a hot streak has taken us all the way up to the 1st place.
this

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Our team this year = Ottawa's team last year. It is almost a mirror image. The emergence of a young core and a new coach.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
icerocket

I still believe that even if the Habs keep up this pace and make the playoffs. They will still get smoked by a more physical team. Especially since the refs put away their whistles and let the rough play go on more.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I still believe that even if the Habs keep up this pace and make the playoffs. They will still get smoked by a more physical team. Especially since the refs put away their whistles and let the rough play go on more.
The Habs are the most penalized team in the league, it should actually help them!!

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Alexdaman

I think we are over-achieving. There is lots of question marks that have not been resolved with the habs lineup and we are not yet halfway through the season. But the thing that stands out as the most positive result from our team, is that the fighting spirit is there and alive. The players want to succeed and they are finding ways to do it as a group and not only in an individualistic point of view.

That's what is needed to win championships i.e the Bruins, the Devils, the Red Wings, have found ways for their teams to apply a game-plan that brings them success and the reason it works is that they are able to apply it well as a group. Winning in hockey is not only about the talents of the team's pts leaders.

But the habs have a problem they do not currently have all the offensive talent they could wish for if Cole and Desharnais were to step up their game, then we might be imo able to wish for a big run in the playoffs.

I think for MB it's decision time for Cole.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
We are a better team than Toronto from top to bottom. Their collective horseshoe falls out in our next meeting.
Not better top to bottom. They have better forwards and they're tougher. They're better than they've been in a while and with the young players they have they'll be getting better going forward as long as ownership doesn't start with more 'quick fixes.'

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Pricef

The Toronto Sports Network would have us believe the Laughs are a better road team than we are and that we are ahead based solely on our home record, check this out:

Montreal home record: 7-3-0 for a .700 winning percentage
Toronto home record: 3-4-0 for a .402 winning percentage

Montreal Road record: 4-1-1 for a .750 winning percentage
Toronto road record: 7-3-0 for a .700 winning percentage

.750 hockey is not bad for a road record. Real Deal

Pricef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Talks to Goalposts

We've seen this before in Toronto, they go on a hot streak based around one element doing very well, last year it was Kessel and Lupul going on a scoring rampage for a couple months, in this case their goaltenders have been playing out of their skulls. But eventually their lack of two-way talent, both at forward and defense, in their lineup drags them back to earth and they stink again.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Not better top to bottom. They have better forwards and they're tougher. They're better than they've been in a while and with the young players they have they'll be getting better going forward as long as ownership doesn't start with more 'quick fixes.'
The other potential problem in Toronto is the way they are rushing their young goalies. Two guys with zero complete seasons as a successful NHL number one COMBINED are supposed to carry the franchise. No pressure, take your time becoming an NHL number one. No worries teams will start to exploit, say, a glove hand once the league zones in on it.

Not saying they won't succeed, and it's nothing against Reimer or Scrivens themselves, but man if I were writing a book on how to ruin goalie prospects...

Sorry for going off topic. Let me get back on by by pointing out that Carey Price has survived being thrown to the wolves too young (I would argue in part by Jaro Halak forcing him to fight for his job, and to compete at an elite level). He's a huge reason the Habs are off to a good start.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
No Team Needed

The West is always the better conference. No matter what sport you're watching. That's just the classic claim due to the media being east centric.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricef View Post
The Toronto Sports Network would have us believe the Laughs are a better road team than we are and that we are ahead based solely on our home record, check this out:

Montreal home record: 7-3-0 for a .700 winning percentage
Toronto home record: 3-4-0 for a .402 winning percentage

Montreal Road record: 4-1-1 for a .750 winning percentage
Toronto road record: 7-3-0 for a .700 winning percentage

.750 hockey is not bad for a road record. Real Deal
Not sure where you're getting .750
4 wins out of 6 games is .667.

Leafs have a .429 (3/7) home record.

FireTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

We've seen one real moment of adversity, and that was the 6-0 drubbing they took on home ice against the leafs, and they responded fiercely and positively

Calling the habs schedule easy is basically like calling out a chunk of the eastern conference. All of the losses have been within the division, and a couple of them were blown 3rd period leads.

The team just keeps finding a way. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I'm sure as hell enjoying the ride.

It took 41 wins to get in the dance last year. Pro-rated, that means 24 wins this year. That means 13 wins in the final 32 games to get in.

That sounds pretty damn achievable to me. You might say that we should set our hopes higher considering this start, but I would have gladly taken a playoff spot before the season started, so I'll keep my expectations constant.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
Not sure where you're getting .750
4 wins out of 6 games is .667.

Leafs have a .429 (3/7) home record.
You forgot to take into account the overtime losses...we're 4-1-1 not 4-2-0