General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Any golfers here?

Old
02-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Thricecube

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
The r11s is amazing, I have the 10.5 RBZ still, and it is long and straight.

Gotta play golf as it is the only sport I have any real chance left at going pro
Great. Someone else in the Valley has the same clubs as me. Now I will have to get new ones.

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:54 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
Great. Someone else in the Valley has the same clubs as me. Now I will have to get new ones.
Hahaha, checkout rockbottomgolf.com if you want a driver or new clubs, thats the only place I buy merchandice from now.

Going to possibly play the new course on Quadra on Thursday, weather permitting of course, but it should be fun.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
Hahaha, checkout rockbottomgolf.com if you want a driver or new clubs, thats the only place I buy merchandice from now.

Going to possibly play the new course on Quadra on Thursday, weather permitting of course, but it should be fun.
bah...why did you have to put that site there...OF COURSE I have to go check it out...now I want to buy more stuff ....and I just bought irons...Maybe it's time to upgrade my driver and 3/5 woods...they're a year old...haha...DAMMIT

Thinking I may venture up island next weekend if the weather is decent

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
bah...why did you have to put that site there...OF COURSE I have to go check it out...now I want to buy more stuff ....and I just bought irons...Maybe it's time to upgrade my driver and 3/5 woods...they're a year old...haha...DAMMIT

Thinking I may venture up island next weekend if the weather is decent
Storey Creek is great as is Glacier Greens, Crown Isle isn't bad.

Just up from you is Pheasent Glenn which I think is an absolute great course.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Canadian Chris

Played them all! Used to be a member at GG....some...14yrs ago...Love living back on the island for the vast amount of courses in a relatively short drive. Been playing Nanaimo lots, greens are fuzzy...but the drainage on the course has been pretty good

Edit: Also agreed on Pheasant Glen! I prefer the back 9 to the front - but a gorgeous track. Looks like Morningstar is going to have some wicked twighlight rates this season too. Can't wait for some dryer, warmer weather to really get out and get going!

Old
02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Played them all! Used to be a member at GG....some...14yrs ago...Love living back on the island for the vast amount of courses in a relatively short drive. Been playing Nanaimo lots, greens are fuzzy...but the drainage on the course has been pretty good

Edit: Also agreed on Pheasant Glen! I prefer the back 9 to the front - but a gorgeous track. Looks like Morningstar is going to have some wicked twighlight rates this season too. Can't wait for some dryer, warmer weather to really get out and get going!
I hear you, I have played a couple times this year, at Comox Golf Club and Sunnydale, but soon enough I want to play Morningstar, Pheasent Glenn, Fairwinds, Nanaimo Golf Club (never played), downtown Qualicum Course, and the valley at Bear Mountain as I have played the mountain course. Any more suggestions?

Old
02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Canadian Chris

Storey Creek up Willow Pt way is a nice course. Definitely one I'd wait for warmer weather though. Probably soggy right now. I've only played the mountain course at Bear Mountain, but have a coupon to use by the end of march that is 2 green fees, cart, range balls for $75...I think me and my brother in law are going to tackle the valley with that one.

Hmmm...Nanaimo is a nice course. Challenging, but rewarding if you keep it in the fairway. Tricky greens and during the summer the whole course runs VERY fast.

South of Nanaimo, I've played Duncan Meadows...left a bit to be desired, but worthwhile if you're in the area - it's on the way to Lake Cowichan. Also Mt. Brenton, it's a shorter course, but the price is usually pretty good...and it was a lot of fun when I played it last summer

I want to make it down and check out Arbutus Ridge at some point. Not overly long, but looks like the type of course to make you think your shots...lots of risk/reward possibly lol

Olympic View is another Victoria track I'd love to check out. Looks like it's going to be an expensive summer of golf lol

Old
03-02-2013, 12:10 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
"inside mad"

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Can't wait till golf season

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Storey Creek up Willow Pt way is a nice course. Definitely one I'd wait for warmer weather though. Probably soggy right now. I've only played the mountain course at Bear Mountain, but have a coupon to use by the end of march that is 2 green fees, cart, range balls for $75...I think me and my brother in law are going to tackle the valley with that one.

Hmmm...Nanaimo is a nice course. Challenging, but rewarding if you keep it in the fairway. Tricky greens and during the summer the whole course runs VERY fast.

South of Nanaimo, I've played Duncan Meadows...left a bit to be desired, but worthwhile if you're in the area - it's on the way to Lake Cowichan. Also Mt. Brenton, it's a shorter course, but the price is usually pretty good...and it was a lot of fun when I played it last summer

I want to make it down and check out Arbutus Ridge at some point. Not overly long, but looks like the type of course to make you think your shots...lots of risk/reward possibly lol

Olympic View is another Victoria track I'd love to check out. Looks like it's going to be an expensive summer of golf lol
I have played Duncan Meadows one time, and I have also always wanted to play Arbutus Ridge as well as Olympic view.

I went to Quadra and the course was closed, but this is the year that I play there and Murtle Point.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:27 PM
TheAntiPrice

So how about Mr. Eldrick...

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
So how about Mr. Eldrick...
^ Golf thread, right up there...

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
silkyjohnson50

Another golfer here. I live in Michigan and it's been an extended winter for us this year so it looks like we're going to now just be able to get out and play. Can't wait.

From October until i played my last round in mid December, I was trying some different tour balls to see if there was something that I liked better.. And I still can't get away from the Pro-V1. I love the overall feel and especially the green side control. I'm a pretty high spin player with my short irons and wedges and I have yet to find a ball that consistently performs as well. I felt like I lost distance and spin with the Callaway i(s), the Wilson staff tour almost felt too soft and was cutting up too much, and although I played a great round with the nike20XI s, I didn't like the feel. Even on crisp iron shots it felt like a mi****.

I still want to try the penta and the new generation nike 20XI that came out this spring.

What so you guys use and thoughts on other balls you've tested.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Thricecube

Quote:
I have played Duncan Meadows one time, and I have also always wanted to play Arbutus Ridge as well as Olympic view.

I went to Quadra and the course was closed, but this is the year that I play there and Murtle Point.
You hear about the new course in Union Bay? Going to have the 3 finishing holes overlook the ocean just north of the boat launch. They have cleared out most of the land so far for the course. The artist renditions for it look amazing.

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Another golfer here. I live in Michigan and it's been an extended winter for us this year so it looks like we're going to now just be able to get out and play. Can't wait.

From October until i played my last round in mid December, I was trying some different tour balls to see if there was something that I liked better.. And I still can't get away from the Pro-V1. I love the overall feel and especially the green side control. I'm a pretty high spin player with my short irons and wedges and I have yet to find a ball that consistently performs as well. I felt like I lost distance and spin with the Callaway i(s), the Wilson staff tour almost felt too soft and was cutting up too much, and although I played a great round with the nike20XI s, I didn't like the feel. Even on crisp iron shots it felt like a mi****.

I still want to try the penta and the new generation nike 20XI that came out this spring.

What so you guys use and thoughts on other balls you've tested.

I dont play much any more but when I do I miss the old balata balls. If you missed a shot the ball would basically be destroyed, and they would only last 3 or 4 holes before becoming warped or cut, but for spin and control they were awesome. I suppose the new balls do it all but that was fun.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Raging Bull

Played some so-so courses in Myrtle Beach last week, Arcadian Shores, River Hills and Aberdeen for my first rounds of the year. Didn't break 80 until the last day out but I never hit the range any of the three days either, definitely loving those Nike VPro blades I bought at the end of last year.

Thinking of going to Hilton Head next year instead, just for something different.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
You hear about the new course in Union Bay? Going to have the 3 finishing holes overlook the ocean just north of the boat launch. They have cleared out most of the land so far for the course. The artist renditions for it look amazing.
I heard the course/resort in Union Bay was still tied up in red tape? Would be great to have another fantastic course on the island! I've seen the artist renditions of what it will look like, and it looks pretty awesome for sure!

Old
03-29-2013, 01:17 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Seems like there's quite a few B.C. golfers up here. I'm moving back to the Northwest after the summer. I previously lived in Idaho but I'll be moving to Washington. What are some of the best golf courses in the lower B.C. area? I was interested in both areas around Van, or eastern B.C. close to the WA line.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

I'm not familiar as much with the courses near Vancouver but if you are looking for great courses a bit more inland, the Okanagan has plenty.

I know the Kelowna area best but Fairview Mountain in the south is great...Kelowna courses I would recommend - Gallaghers Canyon, The Harvest Golf Club, Predator Ridge (Skins games were held there)---Quail and Bear (The Okanagan Golf Club) are a step lower and not often in good shape, Tower Ranch is in some financial difficulty but is a very demanding track, as is The Rise a bit north of Kelowna. Honestly there are some amazing courses in the Kelowna area.

You can google them all for more info.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Art of Sedinery

Can't believe I discovered this section of the boards for the first time, and the golf thread is dominated by golf on Vancouver Island! Love it!

I really do think we have some very underrated course up here, though Bear and others get the rep in Victoria. I think if you take away the hype and the gimmicks, that Storey Creek and Fairwinds can compete with most courses in BC. Maybe not the top tier like Shaugnessy and the like, but definitely as good as many.

Nanaimo, Morningstar, Pheasant, Duncan Meadows and Crown Isle are all very nice courses as well.

I probably play Fairwinds the most, due to proximity. Great tight course that plays longer than it really is. And is usually more dry than most courses in the Spring. Played there on Saturday, and it was fantastic. 20 degrees and sunny didn't hurt.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:05 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Thanks guys. I've been looking at moving back to the Pacific Northwest but I've been hesitant to do so. I'll be returning to central Alaska for the summer but I've always found that I really enjoy the little notch that southern B.C. I've been becoming more interested in property, jobs, and whatnot in areas around Blaine, but basically all through out Washington, Oregon, Northern Idaho/Montana.

Appreciate the info. Seems like there's quite a few golfers here.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:24 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
I have actually rode my motorbike in that area and it is amazing, but politics are still holding it up, strangely enough where we live there are no water holes and having some in Union Bay would be amazing.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:27 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
Can't believe I discovered this section of the boards for the first time, and the golf thread is dominated by golf on Vancouver Island! Love it!

I really do think we have some very underrated course up here, though Bear and others get the rep in Victoria. I think if you take away the hype and the gimmicks, that Storey Creek and Fairwinds can compete with most courses in BC. Maybe not the top tier like Shaugnessy and the like, but definitely as good as many.

Nanaimo, Morningstar, Pheasant, Duncan Meadows and Crown Isle are all very nice courses as well.

I probably play Fairwinds the most, due to proximity. Great tight course that plays longer than it really is. And is usually more dry than most courses in the Spring. Played there on Saturday, and it was fantastic. 20 degrees and sunny didn't hurt.
Bear Mountain was great when I went there for the Telus World Skins game, and then again when I went and played the mountain course, it was tough compared to the others I have played.

I want to play Shaugnessy more than anything in the world, I haven't played Nanaimo golf course yet, but I have heard all good things about it, Morningstar, Pheasant, Duncan Meadows and Crown are all very good courses.

Fairwinds is great, I have played there a couple times in my life and was not disappointed.