HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Late additions: how does it work?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
helicecopter

vCash: 500
Late additions: how does it work?

This may have been covered on this board already, but who knows where..

so forgive me if that's the case and let's see who has a clear picture on this.

With the NHL season going on longer and deeper into Spring than usual, it may become more relevant than in standard years the opportunity to add players from other leagues whose seasons finish earlier.

This particularly applies to KHL, whose playoffs are about to start already.

So, the main question is, do those players (or some of them) need to clear waivers to join a NHL team this late?
there may be a difference between players already owned by a NHL team (maybe even with a valid NHL contract) and those who are currently NHL UFA?

are they even allowed to join in March or are there exceptions to that?

Thanks in advance for your clarifications.

On a secondary note, who are the main candidates? i know A.Kostitsyin may join the Panthers once his KHL season is over; heard of anyone else?

Last edited by helicecopter: 02-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:44 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I know that last year, if you signed a guy from Europe, he needed to clear waivers before playing a game (for example: Nabokov signing with the Red Wings, then being claimed by the Islanders).

I'm fairly sure the new CBA has eliminated waivers for mid-season signings from Europe, though I admit to only being a CBA padawan: a full-fledged CBA Jedi might want to chime in to either confirm or discredit my belief.

As far as I know, as soon as a player's season is over, assuming his European contract is up, he's free to sign a contract with an NHL team. No waivers: just straight onto his new club.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
helicecopter

thx BonkTastic.

Bumping this to get confirmations and maybe know of any other candidates to cross the ocean in the Spring.
If waivers don't apply anymore i would expect possibly more than one guy to join late in this procrastinated season.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Waivers apply. It was brought up a few weeks back, maybe a month that anyone coming from the KHL would have to clear waivers. Can't remember if it was McKenzie or who from TSN that mentioned it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:46 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Waivers apply. It was brought up a few weeks back, maybe a month that anyone coming from the KHL would have to clear waivers. Can't remember if it was McKenzie or who from TSN that mentioned it.
Is that just because it's KHL though and there is no proper transfer agreement?
Would SEL or SM-liiga, etc. players need waivers?

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Is that just because it's KHL though and there is no proper transfer agreement?
Would SEL or SM-liiga, etc. players need waivers?
Thought it was all the leagues. The NHL doesn't want teams circumventing the cap by having their stars play in Europe and then sign later in the year for a mil or two to finish the year up.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Thought it was all the leagues. The NHL doesn't want teams circumventing the cap by having their stars play in Europe and then sign later in the year for a mil or two to finish the year up.
that's odd.. would mean a RFA like R.O'Reilly would have to clear waivers to join the Avs now, which is not the case.

And as for UFAs, the team that claims the player off waivers would still be circumventing the cap, for that matter.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
DoubleDose86

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
And as for UFAs, the team that claims the player off waivers would still be circumventing the cap, for that matter.

It stops a bunch of guys going to one strong team.

Instead they risk getting picked up on waivers by a weaker team. It discourages people from hiding out waiting for a strong contender to show themselves.

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Djp

Quote:
that's odd.. would mean a RFA like R.O'Reilly would have to clear waivers to join the Avs now, which is not the case.

ROR does not have to clear waivers because Colorado has exclusive rights on him.

If the player over in Russai---an NHL team may still have his rights if they drafted him.

If he was undrafted or have UFA statust in the NHL the player still needs to clear waivers I think after the trade deadline to join the club...prior to the trade deadline he can freely be signed and not have to clear waivers.

If A team has his rights he can sign and play.

The same thing happenes when the NCAA season ends. some players make the jump to the NHL right after college was over and they can join the club that drafted him without clearing waivers. I think this is what the Rangers did with Kreider...he made the NCAa jump.

there is risk in this...for example a team could pull a player from Juniors and have them play but then their service tenure begins.

In the playoffs teams do not have to have players clear waivers to return from the AHL to the big club after the AHL season is over.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
seanlinden

I believe the rule has something to do with playing overseas in that given year. I.e. Nabokov started last year in Europe, because he didn't sign before Jan 1, he had to clear waivers.

In the lockout year, they obviously waived, or moved back that deadline to accomodate the normal free agents who were waiting until camp to sign. Presumably, ROR hasn't played in Europe since whenever that Jan 1 deadline was moved to....

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
ROR does not have to clear waivers because Colorado has exclusive rights on him.

If the player over in Russai---an NHL team may still have his rights if they drafted him.

If he was undrafted or have UFA statust in the NHL the player still needs to clear waivers I think after the trade deadline to join the club...prior to the trade deadline he can freely be signed and not have to clear waivers.

If A team has his rights he can sign and play.

The same thing happenes when the NCAA season ends. some players make the jump to the NHL right after college was over and they can join the club that drafted him without clearing waivers. I think this is what the Rangers did with Kreider...he made the NCAa jump.

there is risk in this...for example a team could pull a player from Juniors and have them play but then their service tenure begins.

In the playoffs teams do not have to have players clear waivers to return from the AHL to the big club after the AHL season is over.
Colorado doesn't have exclusive rights on him, he's a RFA. I believe RoR doesn't have to clear as he came back before the deadline.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Djp

Quote:
Colorado doesn't have exclusive rights on him, he's a RFA. I believe RoR doesn't have to clear as he came back before the deadline.
Rights are not the same as the ability to negotiate.

Yes he is a restricted FA---which means a team can negotate with him...but...if they sign him to a contract..the original team still has the rights to accept the contract and keep him. they do not lose thos rights until they do a sign and trade or they let the 7 days expire.

Because they have his rights he can come back at ANYTIME without needing to clear waivers. an example is Radalov with Nashville...he was still under contract with the club thus they retained his rights and he didnt have to clear waivers.

Pulling someone in from Europe whom you didnt have their rights currently (draft pick) does have to clear waivers in order play later in the season. Previously to stash contracts teams lent vets on loan to european clubs to remove their contract on their cap hit (though they still paid them)...when their season is done they can come back to the NHL club without clearing waivers.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Rights are not the same as the ability to negotiate.

Yes he is a restricted FA---which means a team can negotate with him...but...if they sign him to a contract..the original team still has the rights to accept the contract and keep him. they do not lose thos rights until they do a sign and trade or they let the 7 days expire.

Because they have his rights he can come back at ANYTIME without needing to clear waivers. an example is Radalov with Nashville...he was still under contract with the club thus they retained his rights and he didnt have to clear waivers.

Pulling someone in from Europe whom you didnt have their rights currently (draft pick) does have to clear waivers in order play later in the season. Previously to stash contracts teams lent vets on loan to european clubs to remove their contract on their cap hit (though they still paid them)...when their season is done they can come back to the NHL club without clearing waivers.
Radulov was a special exemption that the Preds had to get approval from the NHL. The reasoning they used was he had a contract when he left, which was illegal under the transfer agreement. So they just wanted the player back that had no rights to leave in the first place.