Notices

Ducks sign Fasth to Two-Year Extension

Old
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
One bad signing I think BM made was the Mark Bell signing. Anyone remember that experiment.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

What's with trading Hiller? And after only 8 games of Fasth who, BTW, played behind a hot team.

One would hope Murray is wiser than banking on 8 games of Fasth.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:35 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Every GM makes bad moves if this is the logic we are going to use
Sure, but good GMs make teams better, and since Murray took over, this team got worse.

He's not capable of pluging roster holes long term, nor is he capable of compelling the owners to spend more.

I'll enjoy this season while I can, because future doesn't look so bright, unless Murray, for once, pulls rabbit out of his hat.

Basically re-sign both Getz and Perry for cheap (7 mill max), and (in addition) get legit 2nd line winger and 2nd line center without creating large holes somewhere else.

If not, we'll have some very rough times in near future and previous bad season will look damn good in comparison.

goosemooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemooseduck View Post
Sure, but good GMs make teams better, and since Murray took over, this team got worse.

He's not capable of pluging roster holes long term, nor is he capable of compelling the owners to spend more.

I'll enjoy this season while I can, because future doesn't look so bright, unless Murray, for once, pulls rabbit out of his hat.

Basically re-sign both Getz and Perry for cheap (7 mill max), and (in addition) get legit 2nd line winger and 2nd line center without creating large holes somewhere else.

If not, we'll have some very rough times in near future and previous bad season will look damn good in comparison.
Of course the team got worse, he took over the remnants of a stanley cup winning core with significant pieces either aging or losing effectiveness. you want Getzlaf and Perry for cheap, so if they get more are you going to bash the GM when they going rate for players like G/P is extremely high?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:41 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:

Stopped reading there. We have a great prospect pool, and talent at the NHL level. How does the future not look bright?

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:46 PM
dunkRSA8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post

Eminger, boynton, Hedican, etc... Bad small signings that hurt our lineup.

Ill wait and see what he does with Getz and Perry before I praise him for this year though.
I want to address these two statements. First of all, signings like the aforementioned SHOULD be done by a GM of a team who is on the budget. You need to sign guys like that for cheap and hope they outperform their contract. The reasoning is, you are not on the same playing field as teams who can spend to the cap. You need to take risks, and hope they work out, so that you can compete. Sure, sometimes they might not work out, but then you spent 1million (I did not research their salaries, but my memory states they were relatively low). If they do workout, however, then it is a signing that can push an average spending team to a higher position than they should achieve. As a budget team, you need to take risks if you do not have a perfect storm of prospects ready to play, as is seemingly the case now.

The second statement I agree with 100% and will definitely be a major point on how Murray's tenure is evaluated. For the record, I like that Murray is proactive and takes risks. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but I think it is an important trait for any GM of a budget franchise.

dunkRSA8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Trading away a superstar is arguably the hardest trade to make. You want to try to get the most for your player without waiting too long, because then, you end up having their value diminish, or they walk.
Yeah, if said star player has some ridiculous contract, like so many have, or the deal would be before trade deadline in season when contract expires.

Pronger still had one more season, for only 6 mil and a change, on his contract when traded. Really a no brainer for any GM, whether seller or buyer.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:

So you want Perry and Getz for cheap. Well if that's the case 29 other teams will sign them for more than 7 mill max. And how is it BM's fault for not allowing more money to be used? They are the owners and were a budget team.

I might be wrong? But have we ever had a huge cap to be used even when Burke was GM? If so than that definitely proves my point that its not BMs fault cause we can't spend more money.

And saying our future is not bright? We have a top 10 ranked prospect pool in the league.

Ranked 9th to be exact

http://www.fvsports.com/forum/showth...6099&p=2921701

Old
02-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
One bad signing I think BM made was the Mark Bell signing. Anyone remember that experiment.
If Mark Bell on a one year contract for under 600K is the worst thing your GM does then hes doing a pretty ****ing good job.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Ah c'mon, even the worst GM in NHL could get decent assets in exchange for Pronger.

*****, too early to say, but so far so good.

Whitney trade after all is said and done brought us 2nd rounder (Lubo trade). So, net loss so far.

Whole Wisniewski affair ended up in 3rd rounder. Which in hindsight is not that bad, but it's not good either, more of meh exercise.
No, it is not. Getting a Norris caliber season out of a player is nothing. Jesus, if there is one thing I HATE about HF it's the idea that a player's value is only what his return is on departure.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
If Mark Bell on a one year contract for under 600K is the worst thing your GM does then hes doing a pretty ****ing good job.
Agree I really can't find anything bad that BM has done. He's been great in my eyes. Especially the drafting classs he's put together. Reaquired Beuch keeps Selanne on one year contracts like he asks for. I'm prolly alone on this but I'm a fan.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:08 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Stopped reading there. We have a great prospect pool, and talent at the NHL level. How does the future not look bright?
Hmm, for how many teams which sucked for several seasons in succession future didn't look bright?

And how many actually did turn it around?

Lets say we lose Getz or Perry or even both, Teemu retires, maybe Bobby get traded, what then? It would take years and years to fill holes through prospect pool and rebuild.
We endured enough suckage in Disney era, we don't need more of that.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Giving JDD and sexton 1 way deals.
This is extremely common. The last time this nitpick came up I found multiple teams in our conference that did this. You want a contract world where we always get our way. It will never work that way. Nor will every contract turn out all right. What did this cost us? What player did we lose because of those two deals?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:11 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:
Hmm, for how many teams which sucked for several seasons in succession future didn't look bright?

Lets say we lose Getz or Perry or even both, Teemu retires, maybe Bobby get traded, what then? It would take years and years to fill holes through prospect pool and rebuild.
If all those things happen (not happening) then we'll have a ton of cap space to spend and bring in players to fill those holes. We have a good enough prospect pool to survive Teemu retiring and one of the twins leaving.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:

You don't know what suffering through a rebuild is if you think the last few seasons is what it looks like when you've hit bottom.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
No, it is not. Getting a Norris caliber season out of a player is nothing. Jesus, if there is one thing I HATE about HF it's the idea that a player's value is only what his return is on departure.
One season out of how many (as far as this trade is concerned)?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
You don't know what suffering through a rebuild is if you think the last few seasons is what it looks like when you've hit bottom.
I agree. While I'm not totally on board the Murraywagon, if this team is even 75% as legit as it looks right now, then we just saw one hell of a rebuild on the fly.

Bodacious Wits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Exactly ask Edmonton

Old
02-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I was a season ticket holder with the Capitals in '03-04 when they traded literally every player who remotely belonged in the NHL for prospects and picks (and then traded who they got back for more picks in some cases) and finished with 59 points. THAT is a tank and a rebuild. Losing those players would NOT be a horrible rebuild situation, especially with the goalies the team has now.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
If all those things happen (not happening) then we'll have a ton of cap space to spend and bring in players to fill those holes. We have a good enough prospect pool to survive Teemu retiring and one of the twins leaving.
For one, cap space doesn't matter, we aren't spending to the cap, secondly, nobody can replace those for money Ducks are willing to spend.

Quote:
That's what I was saying, if we lose few key pieces either UFAs or trades, we are doomed to rebuild, and I really don't see anything bright about it, like some others do.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Agree I really can't find anything bad that BM has done. He's been great in my eyes. Especially the drafting classs he's put together. Reaquired Beuch keeps Selanne on one year contracts like he asks for. I'm prolly alone on this but I'm a fan.
Reacquiring beauch for one. That was a bad move when he could've just re-signed.
Getting Whitney in the first place and giving up the perfect LW for G/P. Although we did get one really good season out of Vis.

Signing eminger/boynton/foster some other pylon UFA d-men. Godawful.

The biggest one is honestly taking forever to fill that 2C spot. TAKING FOREVERRRRR and to this day we still havne't done that yet

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
That's what I was saying, if we lose few key pieces either UFAs or trades, we are doomed to rebuild, and I really don't see anything bright about it, like some others do.
What do you think we've been doing the last few years? We didn't move a lot of those aging parts from our cup team for similarly aged players. We went for youth. A lot of which is just now getting first tastes of the NHL.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Reacquiring beauch for one. That was a bad move when he could've just re-signed.
Getting Whitney in the first place and giving up the perfect LW for G/P. Although we did get one really good season out of Vis.

Signing eminger/boynton/foster some other pylon UFA d-men. Godawful.

The biggest one is honestly taking forever to fill that 2C spot. TAKING FOREVERRRRR and to this day we still havne't done that yet
There's a lot of hindsight going on there. You're looking at that deal knowing what you do now. It turned out to be a mistake, one he rectified, but it's not like it was obvious that Beauchemin was going to okay going forward.

I find it a bit odd that people are defending Burke's decision move Andy based on that slice of a season and torching Bob for doing the same with Beauch. These aren't easy decisions to make. Both of them were equally wrong.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
duari91

I read this as Hillers exit. Especially with Getz and Perrs contracts coming up, I can't see a reason why Murray would throw that kind of money at a goalie that is expected to be backup.

Perry and Getzlaf will be resigned, Hiller will be traded for further depth or draft picks.

duari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
goosemooseduck

Quote:
What do you think we've been doing the last few years? We didn't move a lot of those aging parts from our cup team for similarly aged players. We went for youth. A lot of which is just now getting first tastes of the NHL.
Different situation. We had time to gradually replace vets over several seasons (only partially succeding) and now we're hurting (being hot right now, but that won't last).

We could be in for a lot more hurt next season, unless Murray shows some magic.