HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

In-Game Differences With New Coach?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
  #26
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Minus the jokes -

I think we see a more players coach. Derek Whitmore and James van Riemsdyk have already tweeted their congratulations as a great coach and even a greater person.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:11 PM
  #27
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
It's disingenuous to set the 10 game minimum when 8 games counts as half of a full season played .

Even so, I have him coming up further down the list. Are we checking different sources?


He's not a defensive liability like a good number of our forwards are, but he's hardly the driving force behind defensive success on his line.
It's not disingenuous when there is no 8-game field on behindthenet

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
  #28
SabreBlood
Registered User
 
SabreBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
And yet, for one reason or another, teams aren't scoring with him on the ice. Perhaps there's a reason for that. Perhaps it's a wonderful coincidence. But that's what the numbers are saying.
Because goals are rarely scored when bottom 6 forwards are are facing bottom 6 forwards. I already explained this to you.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
  #29
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Because goals are rarely scored when 4th liners are facing 4th liners. I already explained this to you.
Yet he's middle of the pack in QualComp. So you're wrong.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
  #30
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Because goals are rarely scored when bottom 6 forwards are are facing bottom 6 forwards. I already explained this to you.
Huh?

When coaches line-match, they often put their best defensive line (OFTEN a line consisting of "bottom 6" forwards) against the opposition's top line.

In no game does line 1 play line 2, line 2 play line 2....etc......

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
  #31
SabreBlood
Registered User
 
SabreBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yet he's middle of the pack in QualComp. So you're wrong.
Ooooo middle of the pack in QualComp.

I must have missed all those shifts that Ruff was using Hecht's line to shut down those scoring lines.

Hecht sucks. Get over it.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
  #32
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,376
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yet he's middle of the pack in QualComp. So you're wrong.
Hecht may not be the same offensive player (ok, he's not at all the same offensive player) but he still knows how to retain the puck along the boards and get it out of the zone, as well as where he's supposed to be defensively.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if his minutes didn't go down all that much - that's more a commentary on the deficiencies of this roster than anything else though.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:15 PM
  #33
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
I must have missed all those shifts that Ruff was using Hecht's line to shut down those scoring lines.
You seriously must have. B/C Lindy has been doing it quite regularly.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
  #34
SabreBlood
Registered User
 
SabreBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Huh?

When coaches line-match, they often put their best defensive line (OFTEN a line consisting of "bottom 6" forwards) against the opposition's top line.

In no game does line 1 play line 2, line 2 play line 2....etc......
Wake me up when Hecht is facing the Crosbys, Malkins, Tavares's, Staals, etc of the Eastern Conference.

At least now we know he won't be because Ruff is finally gone.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
  #35
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,928
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's not disingenuous when there is no 8-game field on behindthenet
12-13 season is a decent substitute

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
  #36
SabreBlood
Registered User
 
SabreBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
You seriously must have. B/C Lindy has been doing it quite regularly.
Prove it.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
  #37
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Wake me up when Hecht is facing the Crosbys, Malkins, Tavares's, Staals, etc of the Eastern Conference.

At least now we know he won't be because Ruff is finally gone.
He WAS on Crosby/Malkin Sunday. He WAS on the Staals. He WAS on Tavares.


And Rolston's no dummy, it's likely to continue.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
  #38
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,030
vCash: 50
So when we get to pick the matchups, he plays 4th liners? When the opponents pick the matchups he plays 4th liners? I assume you're ignoring we get to pick his competition only 50% of the time.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
  #39
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,928
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
So when we get to pick the matchups, he plays 4th liners? When the opponents pick the matchups he plays 4th liners? I assume you're ignoring we get to pick his competition only 50% of the time.
They know who he belongs with

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
  #40
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Prove it.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TV020212.HTM

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TH020212.HTM

Shift 2 of the game -- Hecht vs. Malkin


Do I need to go on, or are you capable of looking for yourself?

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
  #41
SabreBlood
Registered User
 
SabreBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TV020212.HTM

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TH020212.HTM

Shift 2 of the game -- Hecht vs. Malkin


Do I need to go on, or are you capable of looking for yourself?
All 17 seconds!

You got me!

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:27 PM
  #42
SabreBlood
Registered User
 
SabreBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
So when we get to pick the matchups, he plays 4th liners? When the opponents pick the matchups he plays 4th liners? I assume you're ignoring we get to pick his competition only 50% of the time.
Quick shift changes are obviously not impossible.

It should be 0% of the time.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
  #43
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why do people want the team's top forward blocking shots with his shins, his skates, and the rest of his body? I've never understood the fascination with people wanting Vanek on the PK. Because he may score a shortie once in a blue moon? Great. Lotta consolation that'll be when he breaks a bone blocking a shot.
Thank you. That's what I've been saying.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:29 PM
  #44
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,928
vCash: 300
Can I tap out of this one, Zip ? I don't want to get lumped.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
  #45
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why do people want the team's top forward blocking shots with his shins, his skates, and the rest of his body? I've never understood the fascination with people wanting Vanek on the PK. Because he may score a shortie once in a blue moon? Great. Lotta consolation that'll be when he breaks a bone blocking a shot.
I think a lot of that sentiment comes from how damn stingy Ruff was with icetime. PK time at least represented pretty much the only viable way in a Lindy Ruff system for arguably our best forward to get the 18-20 minutes a night he was on record as wanting and that are played by every one of his comparables.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
  #46
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
All 17 seconds!

You got me!
That's ONE shift...........if you look, there are MULTIPLE instances where Hecht is up against Crosby and/or Malkin.

Which kinda implies that Ruff used him specifically against them at points.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:04 PM
  #47
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,578
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
The most obvious questions:

- Does Grigs come back and start playing regularly? On the 4th line? PP time? Sent back to minors?

- Is Scott still an every day player?

- Will Brennan become an everyday player due to his familiarity with the coach / likely belief in his PP abilities?

- Does Hecht remain on the 3rd line or do they shake that up (Grigs or even Porter)?

- Defensive pairings (Good luck, Mr. Rolston)

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:05 PM
  #48
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,030
vCash: 50
In case anyone was wondering who Hecht's most common ES opponent was last night: Evander Kane.

Some 4th line competition.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
  #49
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,578
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
In case anyone was wondering who Hecht's most common ES opponent was last night: Evander Kane.

Some 4th line competition.
Ever since Grigs was taken off the 3rd line, it's pretty clear Ruff constructed a typical checking 3rd line around Hecht and they've been used as such. They haven't blown me away but they've done their job defensively. Don't understand why people are arguing about you with this.

Hecht looks about toast on offense but he's still doing his job defensively. I wouldn't mind if he gets bumped to the 4th line if they decide to change the construction and purpose of the 3rd line, but right now he's doing the job as specified as well as anyone else on this roster would.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:12 PM
  #50
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
In case anyone was wondering who Hecht's most common ES opponent was last night: Evander Kane.

Some 4th line competition.
Was just looking that up myself, well done. I don't see how anyone can be ripping Hecht for his defense. Offensively, sure, there's virtually nothing there right now. But the other team is rarely scoring when he's playing and it's not purely coincidence.

Edit: Rob Paxon says it better than me above.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.