HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hossa

Old
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
Looks like the NHL prematurely posted a video detailing a 1-game suspension for Hansen. Still no official announcement, but there you go.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:08 PM
miked1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Why would Keith apologize?

What Keith did was retribution for all the dirty hits and scummy play by the Canucks over the years. You can only take so much abuse before you punch back.

You would think that the Canucks' players seeing first hand what it is like to have a teammate concussed and injured would change their ways but they continue to have no regard for player safety and an embarrassment to the league. This won't change because it starts from the top and filters down to the players. That is why they are considered a joke of a franchise and also why they have no Cups in their entire existence.

This was just another dirty play by a dirty Canucks player. Of course Elaine Vigneault defends the cheap shot...like I said it starts at the top. It is a way of life, a way of cheating yourself and the game. They cheated themselves right out of the Stanley Cup in 2011 when the Bruins called their bluff and made them look like the punks that they are...and everyone in the hockey world celebrated their failure. And everyone will continue to celebrate their failures in upcoming seasons as we watch their window to win the Cup close with each playoff series loss. IMO their ship is already sailed and this group of Nucks didn't get the Cup...which to me is something like hockey karma.
Do you and the rest of Hawks fans actually believe in what you just said?

miked1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1101 View Post
I completely disagree, for what it's worth.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Hawkaholic

Us saying "what Keith did was retribution" is like when you guys say "Hossa getting hurt is karma."

Go back to your own board, and cry about Keith there.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
miked1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I completely disagree, for what it's worth.
Alright Cheers! Im not trying to troll here, just curious. (We've got a lot of equally emotional fans )

Old
02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
no regard for player safety and an embarrassment to the league....a joke of a franchise....they have no Cups in their entire existence.

Bruins...made them look like the punks that they are...and everyone in the hockey world celebrated their failure...which to me is something like hockey karma.
Quote:
That is a pretty condensed summary of what a lot of Hawks fans are feeling right now. Don't necessarily agree with it, but a star player did just go down from a cheap shot so it is somewhat understandable.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Lemmiwinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
So much for this rivalry fading.

As for the hit, even if it wasn't intentional it's still a reckless and dirty hit. You're still accountable for what your body does, intentional or not.
How can it be unintentional and dirty at the same time? Just a question.

Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
That is a pretty condensed summary of what a lot of Hawks fans are feeling right now. Don't necessarily agree with it, but a star player did just go down from a cheap shot so it is somewhat understandable.
Well put. All of us are pretty upset, and a good portion of us are thinking/talking with our hearts rather than brains. Personally, I don't really care about supplementary discipline for Hansen (I think it was unintentional anyway, but that's not a popular viewpoint here), nor do I feel any need to trash Vancouver, their coaching staff, players, what have you as so many seem keen on doing. I'm much more concerned about Hossa, for his own sake and for his importance to this team.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:27 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
I agree with it.

[Mod]

Last edited by slocal: 02-20-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: edit
UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:29 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
How can it be unintentional and dirty at the same time? Just a question.
Simple. The game moves fast and sometimes a player tries to make an honest play and it results in a potential dangerous situation. The player didn't intend to do any thing wrong, but the situation changed and the player didn't adjust/react and the result was a dirty/illegal play.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Can't believe Hansen only got a game. It was 100% intentional.

The Hawks need to do something about it next game.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Aqualung

Quote:
Simple. The game moves fast and sometimes a player tries to make an honest play and it results in a potential dangerous situation. The player didn't intend to do any thing wrong, but the situation changed and the player didn't adjust/react and the result was a dirty/illegal play.
Dirty and illegal are two very separate concepts. They both depend on intent.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I'm much more concerned about Hossa, for his own sake and for his importance to this team.
I think most of us are. If anything I think not knowing the severity of his injury is making it worse, because people are emotional and assuming the worst possible outcome and raging against it.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
miked1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I agree with it.

[Mod]
Im not trying to troll here, just trying to appreciate opposing opinions (the main boards aren't a good place for this).

Last edited by slocal: 02-20-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Lemmiwinks

Quote:
Okay I'll accept that, as a Vancouver fan even I was like "come on, Hansen" when it happened. As good as he is, he's incredibly clumsy. When I saw the replay it definitely seemed unintentional, and just unfortunate that it was Hossa. Had it been any other player it would be a non issue, but he needed to be aware that it was Hossa there. In any case, I don't think he was targeting him, but I can understand why you guys are mad.

Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Dirty and illegal are two very separate concepts. They both depend on intent.
I don't agree with that. A play can be dirty, but not illegal.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Hawkaholic

Why would the NHL suspend a guy for a legal check???

At least its something, someone will take care of the rest next game.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Can't believe Hansen only got a game. It was 100% intentional.

The Hawks need to do something about it next game.
It's highly believable. This should have been a no-brainer 5 game suspension, no more no less. Exactly the same punishment Keith got. But when has the NHL ever gotten something right? When has a Canuck ever not gotten off lightly?

Torres got nothing for taking out Seabrook, Bieksa didn't get an instigator/automatic one game for jumping Stalberg, Burrows didn't get anything for biting Bergeron, Dale Weise got nothing for pile driving Alex Plante from behind into the boards. This all occured within less than a year. Hell, Bertuzzi got off with a relative slap on the wrist for nearly maiming a guy. Sad as it is to say, the league seems to have been intimidated by the incessant *****ing that has come out of Vancouver management since the days of Burke and Crawford, and they're scared to come down on them. It's bizarre to say the least.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Okay I'll accept that, as a Vancouver fan even I was like "come on, Hansen" when it happened. As good as he is, he's incredibly clumsy. When I saw the replay it definitely seemed unintentional, and just unfortunate that it was Hossa. Had it been any other player it would be a non issue, but he needed to be aware that it was Hossa there. In any case, I don't think he was targeting him, but I can understand why you guys are mad.
To me it looks like he intentionally meant to give him a shot, but not to necessarily hurt him. Plays like that happen all the time and players give that extra little jolt. 9/10 its no problem, it is just what happens in sports. The problem to me is that Hansen should have known better than to do that to a player who has a history of concussions and head trauma. That is just reckless to me.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Aqualung

Quote:
I don't agree with that. A play can be dirty, but not illegal.
A play can be illegal, but not dirty if you and I define dirty in the same manner as involving intent.

For example, an inadvertent high stick to a player's face is illegal and is penalized. However it is not dirty because it lacks an intent to actually harm the player.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

So let me get this straight. Torres got 25 games (before being reduced to 21) for leaving his feet and hitting Hossa in the head with a shoulder. And Hansen gets 1 game for intentionally aiming his elbow at the back of a vulnerable players head, injuring him. It still doesn't make sense to me.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Why would the NHL suspend a guy for a legal check???

At least its something, someone will take care of the rest next game.
It wasn't a check. It was a blatant elbow to the back of a defenseless player's head. Clear-cut 3-game suspension.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Hawkaholic

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...203576&lang=en
After watching it again, Hansen opens his hand to catch the puck, then realizes he wont get it, and then you see his hand close and his elbow starts coming in to the back of Hossas head.

If you say it isn't intentional, you're blind and dumb.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
It wasn't a check. It was a blatant elbow to the back of a defenseless player's head. Clear-cut 3-game suspension.
You know I was being facetious, right?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Aqualung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
So let me get this straight. Torres got 25 games (before being reduced to 21) for leaving his feet and hitting Hossa in the head with a shoulder. And Hansen gets 1 game for intentionally aiming his elbow at the back of a vulnerable players head, injuring him. It still doesn't make sense to me.
If it was intentional in that "I want to hit Hossa in the head" then he most likely would have added more games similar to a level of 5 games like Keith.

I think the NHL believed this was somewhere between reckless abandon for player safety or intention to hit Hossa but no intention to hit him in the head and does so indadvertedly.