HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet????

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
He was a guy who LOST THE ROOM here

Old
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
He was a guy who LOST THE ROOM here
He didnt lose the room...the room lost him. Stupid ****ing idiot players.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am living in the past. the grass is always greener thing. 12-2-1. the only reason that is not the best record in the league is because chicago hasnt lost in regulation yet. was he really so bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Nope. One of the better coaches in the league.

He was a scapegoat here.
To be fair, the switch to trap robbed him of a ton of what made him so good. He was a dead man walking at that point.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
To be fair, the switch to trap robbed him of a ton of what made him so good. He was a dead man walking at that point.
Agreed. When he started down the road of being McPhee's coaching proxy, which really was after the Habs series IMO, he was never going to be here long term. He even said you have to be true to yourself and that he stopped doing that and that was his biggest regret in DC.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
He didnt lose the room...the room lost him. Stupid ****ing idiot players.
No, he lost the room after having them charge into the playoffs face first at full speed for 4 straight years only to hit a brick wall.

But you're right, we should have fired/let go the 23 idiot players instead of the coach who couldn't do anything with them. At least then all John Wayne types on this board could be super gung ho about putting ****ers in their place for the next 4 years. That's all that really matters after all.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:38 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Um.......

You're hijacking the thread and living in the past.

It's about the present. Has Adam Oates made progress? What is his system?

Thanks!

Old
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Mickstix

I've seen progress in the system, especially the games in Fl.. I think the big problem now is they just dont have the talent needed to take it to the next level.. Sans the Rags game, players were where they're supposed to be, but couldn't/wouldn't execute.. They were fortunate to get past FL/Tampa but I fear more struggles until we have a real shakeup in management (GM) and then in the team..

Last edited by Mickstix: 02-20-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 11:14 AM
coyote

how to play the right way

Yesterday I got lucky and watched the LA Kings play the Edmonton Oilers, Man the announcers had a hard time getting their breath because the game was so fast. The Kings won but it wasn't determined till the very end. They passed and hit till they finally succeeded. Edmonton also played very well. If you want to show the Capitals how to play the right way show them that game. Had to stay up late but well worth it.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

The shootout is making Anaheim look a lot better than they actually are. Ironically enough they are getting outshot and riding a hot goalie.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The shootout is making Anaheim look a lot better than they actually are.
Yeah without it they are a mediocre 8 and 2...

Old
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah without it they are a mediocre 8 and 2...
Who said anything about mediocre?

Toronto and Montreal have 10 ROW with their rebuilds, Carolina and Tampa have 8 each.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Who said anything about mediocre?

Toronto and Montreal have 10 ROW with their rebuilds, Carolina and Tampa have 8 each.
8-2 is better than toronto 10-7. Montreal made a lot of moves in the offseason and probably added the best player in the draft to their roster.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

8-2 could easily be 8-6. Toronto still has 10 wins with mostly AHLers and the supposedly unrecoverable dumpster fire Burke left behind.

Montreal's big offseason signings were Prust and Armstrong. Neither of them are bigger difference makers than Fasth. At this point I would be more upset about missing out on Therrien than a coached that ultimately failed here.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
msrulo

Quote:
8-2 could easily be 8-6. Toronto still has 10 wins with mostly AHLers and the supposedly unrecoverable dumpster fire Burke left behind.

Montreal's big offseason signings were Prust and Armstrong. Neither of them are bigger difference makers than Fasth. At this point I would be more upset about missing out on Therrien than a coached that ultimately failed here.
Colby armstrong comparison to Fasth..

Old
02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Colby armstrong comparison to Fasth..
Incorrect again.

There is no comparison. Montreal's offseason moves are nothing but role players at this point while Anaheim's offseason moves are all playing major minutes and bigger reasons for their success.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
foundhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I think he has made progress. I think the roster is poorly built -- worst in several years -- and the team has been through 3 systems in 18 months, with Oates's being the most complex, comprehensive, and demanding of the three.
Well said. I have seen an improvement of overall play. They seem to be playing more as a unit now. That's not to say they don't have breakdowns still. Once they get over those, they should be all right.

I was really hoping for a win over the Rangers, but man, they fell apart. However, I did see some extended bursts of unified play. They just need to keep it going. I don't know why they had trouble connecting passes in that particular game.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Incorrect again.

There is no comparison. Montreal's offseason moves are nothing but role players at this point while Anaheim's offseason moves are all playing major minutes and bigger reasons for their success.
---->

Quote:

Ya nice lie

Last edited by msrulo: 02-20-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Almost as nice as your reading comprehension.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
txpd

food for thought. do you think barry trotz or lindy ruff ever lose the room? i would bet you that the players get tired of them as players get tired of all coaches. the difference is that in those two markets the players know that guy is the coach and it ain't gonna change. if you dont want to play for the guy, leave when you are a free agent.

i thought it at the time before things went off that boudreau was the best coach the caps had ever had. it appears his stuff was not a fluke, shootout or not.

maybe if mcphee had let him coach and backed him up as coach, it might have been different.

i really wonder. will the caps ever find another coach as good as he? i like adam oates but they are desperate to win and oates is sticking with the whole playing right is more important than winning otherwise.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Almost as nice as your reading comprehension.
Well he was comparing them.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
food for thought. do you think barry trotz or lindy ruff ever lose the room? i would bet you that the players get tired of them as players get tired of all coaches. the difference is that in those two markets the players know that guy is the coach and it ain't gonna change. if you dont want to play for the guy, leave when you are a free agent.

i thought it at the time before things went off that boudreau was the best coach the caps had ever had. it appears his stuff was not a fluke, shootout or not.

maybe if mcphee had let him coach and backed him up as coach, it might have been different.

i really wonder. will the caps ever find another coach as good as he? i like adam oates but they are desperate to win and oates is sticking with the whole playing right is more important than winning otherwise.
I don't see any evidence that they are desperate to win.

Otherwise I agree with you.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Those two markets also lost multiple core players because they wouldn't pay them.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think the whole 'playing right is more important than winning otherwise' is exactly what this team needs.

I'm just not sure Oates is the guy to instill that, as other coaches do it and win in the process.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:50 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I think those are more set plays and roster strategies than a "system".

In general, it's supposed to be a "hybrid", which I would also call "balanced" or "normal" in the sense that offense and defense are equally important. And we know the d-men are supposed to activate and pinch more.

Beyond that, what do we actually know? We knew DH went with a kind of "man to man" defense that often created massive confusion. Oates seems to have gone back to more of a zone defense (thank god). And players seem to be more prone to take shots instead of just trying to feed the same 2 or 3 players all game long (the PP excepted).

Other than that, what is there? What's the neutral zone and forecheck policy? It seems like an active forecheck and not a trap, correct? Is there a difference in spacing or dump vs carry in philosophy? Are there set plays and standing orders for positional rotations?

Or are they just going out there with some general concepts like "support" and "work the cycle" and allowing their years of hockey experience to carry it out on the fly?
Sorry I could answer yesterday... busy.

But players who played for Adam during the lockout say it's a system.

In that type system, yes, it's a stack or trap usually.

As for set plays: gotta be, and dollars to doughnuts, many involve #8

Old
02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Um.......

You're hijacking the thread and living in the past.

It's about the present. Has Adam Oates made progress? What is his system?

Thanks!
I pretty much answered it, and in fairness, Haplysback's post is in answer.

When you know where players are gonna be, passing, and especially one-touch, is easier.

Closed Thread