HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ales Hemsky at the Deadline

Old
02-18-2013, 03:08 AM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I'm thinking you're going to get ripped for that proposal.
Well I'm not talking a straight up swap, Bogosian is only 22 so he's worth more than Hemsky, but Hemsky would be a big part of any package.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:47 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

I have always personally wanted to see Hemsky on the Kings.

What would the Oilers be interested in?

Some expendable parts: Bernier, Penner, King, maybe Lewis

Would Edmonton be interested in something around

Bernier + King/Penner for Hemsky for Peckham/Whitney?

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Hemsky is ridiculously underrated in most of these proposals. As an Oiler fan I've seen him play on some pretty terrible offensive teams and put up nearly a PPG. If he's truly over his injuries (it appears he is), then he's worth a lot.

He's 29 years old and is willing to take massive hits to make a play. I would be very surprised if he got below 0.7-0.8 PPG.

We shouldn't be moving him for a package of random prospects/picks.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Hemsky is ridiculously underrated in most of these proposals. As an Oiler fan I've seen him play on some pretty terrible offensive teams and put up nearly a PPG. If he's truly over his injuries (it appears he is), then he's worth a lot.

He's 29 years old and is willing to take massive hits to make a play. I would be very surprised if he got below 0.7-0.8 PPG.

We shouldn't be moving him for a package of random prospects/picks.
Well, he is ridiculously overrated in most of the proposals from Oilers fans, so the answer the original question is probably somewhere in between Greening and Bogosian.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post

No reason for the Oilers to do this

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerstoBeers View Post
to Bos:

Whitney + Hemsky

To Edm:

Boychuk + Spooner/Koko + pick

Whitney and Boychuk....... Whitney is from Bos, Boychuk is from Edmonton...Whitney seems to need a change of scenery after struggling this season. A bit of a wash but Edm gets a solid defender for the next few years with a so-so contract and Bruins get a potential rental

So basically Hemsky for a top prospect and a high pick..I'm sure Edm fans would love a Yakupov - Koko combo
Whitney sucks. Plain and simple. Injuries have done him in. He's barely good enough to be a 7th dman right now. Boychuk is miles ahead of Whitney.

And Hemsky is NOT even close to being worth Spooner or Koko (+ a pick??). Zero chance.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
ohnoeszz

Still the perfect guy to go next to Kesler. Unfortunately I don't think any deal could be worked out between the two teams. I'd love for him to be the return on a Luongo trade with Luongo going East and a Dman going to EDM but I can't think of any trade matches.

ohnoeszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Is he really?

I thought it was Eberle and Hall as their #1 and #2.
As far as corsi and scoring chances go, no.

Hall dominates. He's miles ahead of the rest.

Hemsky's a way down, but not too far behind.

And then you've got guys like Eberle, RNH, and Gagner way behind the ability that Hall and Hemsky have and the ability they have to tilt the ice in the opposition's direction.

And then the rest. Yak'll be there sooner than later, but he's still adjusting to the league and looks lost on half of his shifts still.

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Horseradish

Quote:

Don't want Bernier.

Give us Stoll, King, and Scuderi for Hemsky, Lander, and Peckham/Whitney?

Swap a pick here or there...

Old
02-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Honour Over Glory

Whitney needs to sit out the rest of this year and just rehab, he wants to play and I think he's getting unfair treatment here, people forget that he is an effective player when he's 100% healthy, which might never happen with his feet issue if he doesn't take care of it properly now. He's still pretty decent age to have a longer career.

If I were him, I'd weigh the benefits of asking the team to put him on IR the rest of the year and let him rehab and build up his leg strength.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Whitney needs to sit out the rest of this year and just rehab, he wants to play and I think he's getting unfair treatment here, people forget that he is an effective player when he's 100% healthy, which might never happen with his feet issue if he doesn't take care of it properly now. He's still pretty decent age to have a longer career.

If I were him, I'd weigh the benefits of asking the team to put him on IR the rest of the year and let him rehab and build up his leg strength.
Well he's said that it's as strong as it's going to get, it's just never going to be at the level it was before. I don't know that it would do him any good, to be honest. I think his career's on borrowed time. He says his ankle feels strong and that he worked on it all summer and lockout, I think his mobility is just now limited.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:00 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Don't want Bernier.

Give us Stoll, King, and Scuderi for Hemsky, Lander, and Peckham/Whitney?

Swap a pick here or there...
I actually think that's a very fair deal but it'd be tough for the Kings to give up Scuderi with the current injuries to their defense (Greene, Mitchell, Martinez). I like Stoll but I'd rather have Hemsky.

Personally, I'd probably do it, though I don't know if other Kings fans would agree with me. Assuming his medical checks out, I'd probably prefer Whitney over Peckham.

Kings could use one more young winger.

What would it take to get Paajarvi into the deal as well?

Old
02-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Lessy

Quote:
I actually think that's a very fair deal but it'd be tough for the Kings to give up Scuderi with the current injuries to their defense (Greene, Mitchell, Martinez). I like Stoll but I'd rather have Hemsky.

Personally, I'd probably do it, though I don't know if other Kings fans would agree with me. Assuming his medical checks out, I'd probably prefer Whitney over Peckham.

Kings could use one more young winger.

What would it take to get Paajarvi into the deal as well?
Paajarvi, Hemsky for Stoll, Voynov/Martinez (Kings choice)

I'm thinking that would be the kind of package the Oilers would be looking for realistically. I don't know how the Kings value Martinez and Voynov but I'm thinking Hemsky has slightly more value than Stoll and Voynov/Martinez more than Paajarvi. I really like Trevor Lewis from LA as well - guy was unreal last spring in the playoffs.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Heads up, Oiler fans are looking for players, not future packages.

I'm wondering what Jets fans think about a Hemsky for Bogo swap.

Kane-Jokinen-Hemsky
Ladd-Little-Wheeler

top six?

next year you could role with Kane-Scheifele-Hemsky
Absolutely terrible for the Jets. Bogo goes nowhere.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:06 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Well, he is ridiculously overrated in most of the proposals from Oilers fans, so the answer the original question is probably somewhere in between Greening and Bogosian.
He's sometimes overrated in proposals but that's only because people aren't discounting his value due to injury concerns.

His injuries exist, but if he's truly over them, his value is extremely high. His production and ability to get it done while taking a beating are valuable assets to playoff teams.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
thecloser

definitely a move I could see Poile making at the deadline. We were interested in Hemsky last year coming to Nashville at the deadline, but EDM resigned him and we lost our chance.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Paajarvi, Hemsky for Stoll, Voynov/Martinez (Kings choice)

I'm thinking that would be the kind of package the Oilers would be looking for realistically. I don't know how the Kings value Martinez and Voynov but I'm thinking Hemsky has slightly more value than Stoll and Voynov/Martinez more than Paajarvi. I really like Trevor Lewis from LA as well - guy was unreal last spring in the playoffs.
Voynov is off limits and is valued highly by the Kings and their fans especially after Jack Johnson was dealt. Young top 4 puck mover won't come cheap. He's basically our best defenseman aside from Doughty. I've always been a fan of Martinez but some fans feel he is expandable.

Given that Martinez has asserted himself as a solid NHL defenseman and with our other defenseman creeping up there in age, I think it'd be a little too much for Paajarvi who has not quite found his footing yet.

I know Paajarvi is still young with potential and I'm not trying to lowball the oilers but I don't want to give up Martinez.

What if it was Stoll and Lewis for Hemsky and Paajarvi? I'd even throw in Dwight king to give the oil a young third line power forward.

If the Kings defense was completely healthy though, and we had Doughty, Voynov, Greene, Mitchell, Scuderi, and Ellerby all available to play, I'd likely pull the trigger. Hemsky and Paajarvi massively upgrade the Kings' team speed and playmaking on the wings. Kings have enough capable centers in Kopi, Richie, Carter, Lewis, Fraser to soften the loss of Stoll. And we supposedly have some solid depth on the blueline down on the farm.

Last edited by gonnaneedsomewine: 02-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
He's sometimes overrated in proposals but that's only because people aren't discounting his value due to injury concerns.

His injuries exist, but if he's truly over them, his value is extremely high. His production and ability to get it done while taking a beating are valuable assets to playoff teams.
Maybe some Oilers fans need to look at it from the other side, too. If you were asked for Klefbom + 1st or Yakupov or whatever is valuable to you for a player who had one full near PPG season seven years ago and has been constantly injured since, wouldn't you bring up the exact same things?

I admitted already that his value may be higher than some offers here, but it isn't the one of a young 60pts winger on a cheap contract and without any health concerns either. He isn't going to be the centerpiece that gets you a young top pairing Dman without serious flaws. A 1st at the deadline, maybe even with a late pick or a project prospect to go along, possible.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Maybe some Oilers fans need to look at it from the other side, too. If you were asked for Klefbom + 1st or Yakupov or whatever is valuable to you for a player who had one full near PPG season seven years ago and has been constantly injured since, wouldn't you bring up the exact same things?

I admitted already that his value may be higher than some offers here, but it isn't the one of a young 60pts winger on a cheap contract and without any health concerns either. He isn't going to be the centerpiece that gets you a young top pairing Dman without serious flaws. A 1st at the deadline, sure, maybe even with a late pick or a project prospect to go along, possible.
Hemsky would be an ideal pickup for an elite team gearing up for a long playoff run. He's healthy, he's got playoff experience, he's not signed on a long term contract and he's scoring again. I doubt middling teams would have any interest in acquiring him. But a team that's pushing all their chips to the center of the table might be more willing let go of more than just a 1st to get Hemsky.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Hemsky is playing very good hockey right now. If he can continue to play well and stay healthy, he should get a good return, especially since he's still signed for one more year yet.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:

I admitted already that his value may be higher than some offers here, but it isn't the one of a young 60pts winger on a cheap contract and without any health concerns either. He isn't going to be the centerpiece that gets you a young top pairing Dman without serious flaws. A 1st at the deadline, maybe even with a late pick or a project prospect to go along, possible.
I'd probably do Klefbom + 1st for a Hemsky clone if my team needed one (and was in a position to win). I think Yakupov would be a massive overpayment, though.

That kind of highlights why I think the Oilers should just keep him. We are a team that needs his secondary (/primary) scoring. We have defensive prospects and likely decent picks.

If you're buying Hemsky now, you're definitely going to be taking a risk, but you're going to be paying less because of it. If you wait for a couple of injury-free, productive seasons, he's going to be worth a lot more.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
rockinghockey

As far as Hemsky keeps up his play and does not get injured he will be the top target winger available.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:

Nobody is asking for a Yakupov type (though I guess the one Bogo suggestion is almost as goofy, but no reasonable Oiler fan would suggest it). A Klefbom type + 1st for Hemsky is a bit of wishful thinking, but in the right ballpark. One Pens fan suggested Maata and a 1st, while another Pens fan scoffed at it. That tells me it is right in that range (maybe Harrington instead if he is valued slightly less than Maata).

As for whether or not I'd deal Klefbom and a 1st for Hemsky the answer would be no, but only based on team needs and the current position of our pick. We have enough skill, we need more size and grit. Now if I could deal that for Dustin Brown, the answer would be hell ya (I realize he is LA's captain and they wouldn't move him, just looking for a comparable in terms of age, contract status and production). A more valuable player, but so is the Klefbom + 1st package.

I think the Preds, Pens, Wings, Yotes and Devils would all have interest if still in a playoff spot at the deadline. The minimum starting point would be a first, which may eliminate the Wings (need to build their D prospect pool badly) and Devils (host the draft this year and must forfeit a 1st by 2014).

NAS: 1st + TB 3rd
PIT: 1st + Harrington
PHX: 1st + Brown

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
SDig14

Penner returned 1st + 3rd + Teubert. That's the starting point.

Hemsky is a much better player and more valuable to us than Penner, is signed for next year as well, and is playing very well so far this year.

No idea what teams would offer, but you should be able to figure out what the Oilers would want back in return.

And since they're closer to winning now and when Penner was dealt, I could see them looking for a centre of d-man with equivalent value to a picks/prospects type deal.

Only problem is good teams would want Hemsky, and they aren't the teams that would want to give up a roster player. If they are dealing him, and it's for a roster player, it could be a summer deal at the draft or later.

At this point though, he is playing well so would hurt to deal him, but his value should be much higher than when he was hurt.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I think it behooves the Oilers to try and keep Hemsky. He's been an Oiler since being drafted and he's scoring now with better talent around him again. The key is to stay healthy of course.

However, I wouldnt be surprised if a team comes calling What helps Hemsky is that if you acquire him it's not just a rental, you get him for next year and can fully evaluate whether you want to extend him for say another 3 or 4 yrs at that point.

While I'm extremely wary of Hemsky's fragility at times, I would not be stunned to see Lou Lamoriello and the Devils at least calling the Oilers over the next month or so. There were rumors the Devils were calling the Oilers about Hemsky last season before he resigned and he'd be a sensible fit, considering they need another Top 6 winger and some scoring and he'd join a fellow Czech in Elias already on the team.

Just not sure the Devils have what the Oilers would want. Devils have to surrender a 1st one of these next two years, so I'm not sure they would be willing to surrender it this year. More likely the Devils go shopping in the rental aisle this year.

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote