HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

LeBrun: Regier Next If No Playoffs For Sabres

Old
02-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
The majority of teams that have talent at center, get their talent through the draft.
Then fire the guy who drafts for us for the last few years?

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Sabretip

I still wonder if we won't see some of Black's past in Pittsburgh play a hand this summer in counseling Pegula on a Regier replacement.

As far as I know, Craig Patrick is still an "advisor" in Columbus and was working with Howson before the change last week. With Kekalainen now the GM, chances for Patrick assuming that role seem remote - although Davidson was a big fan of Patrick's during their NY Ranger days.

Anyway, I think Patrick was the GM in Pittsburgh when Black was there....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Dreger and LeBrun definitely are reliable, I believe it. If Ruff can get fired, then no one is safe. I'm very surprised that Pegula pulled the trigger, he definitely proved himself in my eyes by doing that.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I wonder how much money he gets paid to not have a clue.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
He's just making a guess here though, doesn't have any inside information, just speculating like us HF posters do.
Was just gonna say this. This isn't a reporter reporting, it's op-ed speculation. I don't say that as a criticism of the piece or of sharing it, but it shouldn't be analyzed as if it were a report on how management feels about Regier's future. As far as speculation, I imagine most people outside of the Sabres world would guess the same thing. I think we Sabres fans would figure a more moderate likelihood: I doubt he has to make the playoffs to keep his job, but he's definitely the one in the hot seat now.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 02-20-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Ah. Lame comment. Delete.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 02-20-2013 at 07:43 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Was just gonna say this. This isn't a reporting reporting, it's op-ed speculation. I don't say that as a criticism of the piece or of sharing it, but it shouldn't be analyzed as if it were a report on how management feels about Regier's future. As far as speculation, I imagine most people outside of the Sabres world would guess the same thing. I think we Sabres fans would figure a more moderate likelihood: I doubt he has to make the playoffs to keep his job, but he's definitely the one in the hot seat now.
Yes, of course this is just LeBrun's opinion here. My point is that he is a credible voice in the NHL community and if he is saying something like that, it gets my attention.

I also agree with you that Regier may keep his job even if we miss the playoffs, but as you say and as I said up-thread, he is most definitely on the hot seat now.

The next person to go is Regier if things do not progress down the right path.

It's a shame we will have to eat 2 years and probably more of lost progress. Pegula could have and should have cleaned house of Ruff and Regier the day he took ownership. Or shortly thereafter.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i disagree

i think regier will be given a chance to build something new...

i think their is a handful of remaining "leaders", that will be gone before ruff.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I think the likely answer is "it depends." If they continue looking like this and finish in that 11-15 range, he's probably toast. If they make the playoffs, he's probably safe. I'd say it's 50-50 if the team turns it around, and barely misses, it's 50-50.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think the likely answer is "it depends." If they continue looking like this and finish in that 11-15 range, he's probably toast. If they make the playoffs, he's probably safe. I'd say it's 50-50 if the team turns it around, and barely misses, it's 50-50.
i dont buy it.

it would be foolish to have control of a roster with the sole purpose of making the playoffs THIS year.

the potential that a GM would make "win now" trades, decimate the pipe, and still miss the playoffs, only to leave the next GM a bigger mess.

not smart.

Regier is here for a few more years at least

Old
02-20-2013, 07:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i disagree

i think their is a handful of remaining "leaders", that will be gone before ruff.
You mean before Regier, right?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Driftwood
Ron Rolston Forever

Quote:
i disagree

The man has been here 16 years (!!), what exactly has he done to show that he is a world-class GM? He wins a few trades, drafts fairly well. That's about it. Haven't we seen more than enough??

Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You mean before Regier, right?
yea...

Old
02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
The man has been here 16 years (!!), what exactly has he done to show that he is a world-class GM? He wins a few trades, drafts fairly well. That's about it. Haven't we seen more than enough??
very few GMs put together a contender in it's entirety... he did that once. We are in a similar spot as we were pre lockout... i'd like to see him rebuild again.

i expect him to learn from his mistakes, and recognize a the changes that need to be made... like he did pre lockout.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Driftwood
Ron Rolston Forever

Quote:
very few GMs put together a contender in it's entirety... he did that once. We are in a similar spot as we were pre lockout... i'd like to see him rebuild again.

i expect him to learn from his mistakes, and recognize a the changes that need to be made... like he did pre lockout.
He did, definitely cannot take that away from him. But he had a chance to rebuild again already (starting sometime around 5:00pm on 7/1/07) and we are still in an awful place 6 years later.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
He did, definitely cannot take that away from him. But he had a chance to rebuild again already (starting sometime around 5:00pm on 7/1/07) and we are still in an awful place 6 years later.
we are in a very good place, if you accept that we should be rebuilding. Look at our young group, and then imagine the moves we can make with some desirable veterans in trade... we could build something special if we commit to building it

an inventory of assets under 25 years old:
Myers
Ennis
Hodgson
Grigorenko
Foligno
Armia
Pysyk
Catenacci
Tropp
McNabb
Girgensons
McCabe
Kea
Makarov
Gauthier-Leduc

Old
02-20-2013, 08:33 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
an inventory of assets under 25 years old:
Great perception. And all of those assets are note worthy. With where we are now, I am almost hoping for another top asset.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
kirby11

Quote:
He did try to rebuild around the rochester core, which wasn't an awful idea at the time...look at the pieces we had then:
Miller
Vanek
Poms
Roy
Connolly
Goose
Staff
Better hecht

Our defense wasn't that good, we didn't have any d talent coming up and darcy failed to recognize that they (the rochester core)weren't going to cut it soon enough IMO

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Our defense wasn't that good, we didn't have any d talent coming up and darcy failed to recognize that they (the rochester core)weren't going to cut it soon enough IMO

And right now, we certainly have a dearth of scoring wingers (aside from Armia)......and we have a complete crapshoot in goal.

But, Jame is largely right ---- if this is done right a rebuild should be a relatively quick task given the sheer amount of viable young talent we have stockpiled.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
DixonWard15

I don't see how keeping a GM for another year is going to make difference, usually their decisions are based on a 3-5 year outlook

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
He did try to rebuild around the rochester core, which wasn't an awful idea at the time...look at the pieces we had then:
Miller
Vanek
Poms
Roy
Connolly
Goose
Staff
Better hecht

there is a difference between "rebuilding" and "building around".

Due to previous ownerships handcuffs, they were almost forced into a group of players long term where the only option was to "build around"

that era is coming to an end, and it's time to rebuild properly

Old
02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I don't see how keeping a GM for another year is going to make difference, usually their decisions are based on a 3-5 year outlook
dream '16

Old
02-20-2013, 08:47 PM
kirby11

Quote:
there is a difference between "rebuilding" and "building around".

Due to previous ownerships handcuffs, they were almost forced into a group of players long term where the only option was to "build around"

that era is coming to an end, and it's time to rebuild properly
Good point, and I'm looking forward to this happening

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:47 PM
The Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
What?

Those 2 account for about 60% of all genuine breaking NHL news.

Add in Bob McKenzie and that is pretty much the sum total of legitimate NHL breaking news journalism in N. America.
this

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Driftwood
Ron Rolston Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Great perception. And all of those assets are note worthy. With where we are now, I am almost hoping for another top asset.
Quote:
Miller
Vanek
Poms
Roy
Connolly
Goose
Staff
Better hecht

We have some nice pieces, but it's nothing special. We are ranked mid-teens system wise, right? I don't think Boston/Philly/Pitts are trembling in fear looking at our future roster. He's had his chance and failed.

I have more faith in Black/Pegula finding a world class GM than Darcy striking oil again.