HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

vCash: 500
Buying out DP makes so much sense at this point that you just know they're not gonna do it.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:15 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
Buying out DP makes so much sense at this point that you just know they're not gonna do it.
makes no sense to pay $24 Million ACTUAL dollars to rid yourself of $4.5MM in cap space that you won't invest in actual players.

Say the Isles spend $44MM total on the roster (the cap floor) - ignoring the Tim Thomas cheating.

If they buyout Dipietro:

Wang will need to pay $68MM next year, but the cap would be $39.5MM next year, so they'd have to spend another $4.5MM (MINIMUM) on PLAYERS just to get back to the floor again next year.

So Wang can either spend $44MM next year and include DP's $4.5MM
OR
He can pay $72.5MM (cash outflow) for achieving the same cap floor of $44MM.

Just can't see it happening.

If he sells the team, DP becomes someone else's problem.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Personally, I don't think so. Sending Ricky to the minors ≈ buyout. Either way, out of sight and out of mind and this franchise can begin to move forward. Honestly, I can understand the hesitancy to buy him out directly. Wang doesnt have the pockets and the Islander don't generate the revenue. so the day he is in Bridgeport for anything other than a conditioning stint is a MAJOR step in the right direction for this franchise.
Yet it still allows the team to continue to have his cap hit on the books rather than spending it on a player to help.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:09 PM
JKP

You don't buy him out. You let him keep playing until he hurts himself enough to retire and insurance kicks in. Then no cash payout and no cap issue. Stop with the buyout foolishness already -- it isn't going to happen.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
I have always felt in no way shape or form bad for DP until last night. I really think he realizes it's over by his own accounts. I'm not sure if he truly feels it's officially time to retire but i think he is even starting to question himself as to if it's worth it anymore. He is not getting younger and i can't see how he could possibly think he could be a starter let alone a backup on anything other then a bad team. Maybe he finally decides enough is enough and hang it up rather then playing 8 games a season. JMHO

02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
lacunacoil777

The islanders are already eliminated from the playoffs next season because of Dopietro being on the team. Imagine Oliver Perez was best buds with the Wilpons and still pitching every 5 days for the mets. That's Dopietro.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
You don't buy him out. You let him keep playing until he hurts himself enough to retire and insurance kicks in. Then no cash payout and no cap issue. Stop with the buyout foolishness already -- it isn't going to happen.
Fine. Please let him do it playing for Bridgeport.

Honestly, this is really getting to me. The Isles have an excuse, I guess, because Nilsson still isn't healthy (what is the deal?!), but sending DP down for KP would be the single simplest and cheapest way to improve this team right now. It's maddening that it's not done.

Not doing something here is the most damning piece of evidence against Islanders management. It is completely absurd.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
02-21-2013, 09:05 AM
bigd

Quote:
He's not going to retire as long as his contract is still in affect. He'll be out there on one leg if he has to just to get the 4.5 mill a year. I say bury him in Bridgeport!

Old
02-21-2013, 10:09 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Exactly. The contract was insured for a reason...I just don't see it as a sound business decision to pay out all of that money. We may all demand a buy out...but really, it's on Rick to retire and save everyone the frustration. And after another season where he plays at the level of some mediocre ECHL backup goalie...deep down, I think he truly understands, or at least is (finally) beginning to understand, that he has got to get out of the way. He could still very easily get back in the good graces of Isles fans by contributing in another capacity. Just not goalie coach...we don't need Poulin or Nilsson going to the Rick DiPietro School of Leaving The Crease To Play The Puck.

I also get the sense Snow has had just about enough. Late last season, he didn't even utter Rick's name when talking about the team's future in net. And he knows about Rick's disastrous time in Germany...as well as the mistakes he's made in net this season. I think Snow is out of patience, but Wang won't buy him out, so the Isles are just waiting for Rick to give up.

I guess you could technically stick him in Bridgeport and just run him until his legs fall off. I'm sure it'll happen sooner, rather than later.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Strummergas

At this point, it's clear that Wang wants the cap hit to remain on the books. It helps them get to the floor. The amnesty buy-outs are in effect for this coming off-season and next. That takes us to the last year in Nassau.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DP finally bought out AFTER the amnesty period passes. For one, the buyout will effect the cap and the payout will be less than it is now.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Honestly, this is really getting to me. The Isles have an excuse, I guess, because Nilsson still isn't healthy (what is the deal?!), but sending DP down for KP would be the single simplest and cheapest way to improve this team right now. It's maddening that it's not done.

Not doing something here is the most damning piece of evidence against Islanders management. It is completely absurd.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I don't care where he plays. In fact it's probably better in BP.

Let him play every day until he breaks something and a doctor tells him that's enough.

Then he retires for medical reasons, the insurance forms get filled out, Rick gets some money, Wang saves some money and the team doesn't get burdened with a cap hit of a few million bucks for half a bazillion years...

Buying him out makes no sense, especially given how fragile his body is now.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Then play him more. It is obvious they have thrown in the towel on actually competing by publicly stating no moves are coming (except to trade for TT's phantom cap hit), and keep the worst head coach in the entire NHL in to save money at the expense of damage to the standings, just go all in and make the drop for MacKinnon/Jones/Druin/Barkov your best effort ever by putting your injury magnet in net for longer stretches. Help Nabokov out and get better games from him by reducing his workload. Really make Rick the face of the franchise by putting him in every home game maybe.

I must have snapped from the garbage this club does and does not do. I'd enjoy the misery at this point. At least I could laugh my way through games.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
At this point, it's clear that Wang wants the cap hit to remain on the books. It helps them get to the floor. The amnesty buy-outs are in effect for this coming off-season and next. That takes us to the last year in Nassau.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DP finally bought out AFTER the amnesty period passes. For one, the buyout will effect the cap and the payout will be less than it is now.
And on top of this we STILL have Yashin on the books for TWO more years after this one. Can't we at least buy that one out??

Old
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
And on top of this we STILL have Yashin on the books for TWO more years after this one. Can't we at least buy that one out??

Nope the owner does not want to lose money. He also wants to sell with these debts because, he already lost value from the original purchase price.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

You CANNOT go to Brooklyn with DP on the roster in any way shape or form.

02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
OlTimeHockey

Rick is gonna play in Brooklyn. Period. His massive ego would not miss that opportunity. He probably thinks the Italian thing will make him a cult hero there. Who knows? But the spotlight is not something Rico/DP/Sizzling Bacon/Collapsing Cripple/insert nickname would avoid under any circumstance. Be prepared for ten more sets of new pads too stiff to use most nights, a few trips to the ER and about $9M more spent before we get there.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Johan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Cheers,

Dan-o
Speaking of Nilsson, they're running some tests to figure out what he's dealing with. So far they've found out he has vitamin b12 deficiency and that he is gluten sensitive so he has changed his diet and said he's feeling a bit better. But there might still be a week or two before he's back in the lineup.

As far as the DP situation goes you're pretty much spot on, bring up Poulin as soon as Nilsson is healthy.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
makes no sense to pay $24 Million ACTUAL dollars to rid yourself of $4.5MM in cap space that you won't invest in actual players.

Say the Isles spend $44MM total on the roster (the cap floor) - ignoring the Tim Thomas cheating.

If they buyout Dipietro:

Wang will need to pay $68MM next year, but the cap would be $39.5MM next year, so they'd have to spend another $4.5MM (MINIMUM) on PLAYERS just to get back to the floor again next year.

So Wang can either spend $44MM next year and include DP's $4.5MM
OR
He can pay $72.5MM (cash outflow) for achieving the same cap floor of $44MM.

Just can't see it happening.

If he sells the team, DP becomes someone else's problem.
Wait- are saying that it's a lump sum? I don't think it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
You CANNOT go to Brooklyn with DP on the roster in any way shape or form.
Agreed.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
LeapOnOver

Lol... plenty of backup goals in the league who suck. Buyout isn't going to happen so once you accept that are you guys really crying about the backup goalie? Seriously? So many other problems on this team staying with a coach who plays Reasoner over Ulstrom! Not sure if he was ordered to though to help move along a trade. Regardless.... If you want to get your emotions wrapped up on this go for it but I'd rather concentrate my frustrations on the other huge problems loll

Old
02-21-2013, 08:40 PM
ScaredStreit

No backup goaltender is ever to blame for a team's season-long woes (unless the starter goes down of course). Seriously I'm wondering when the Isles fans will go to another scapegoat-we LOVE making them out of non-impact players (DP at this point, Hilbert, Reasoner).

Old
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Bunk Moreland

Rick dipietro on waivers per Staple:

Quote:
#Isles will place Rick DiPietro on waivers at noon.
Quote:
Intent is to send DiPietro to Bridgeport. Kevin Poulin to be recalled once DiPietro clears. #Isles
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...88865087823872
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...89243720232960

Old
02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Rick dipietro on waivers per Staple:

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...88865087823872
Does this mean he'll be in Bridgeport since obv no one will claim him?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
If this is the first step to us being sincerely competitive then bravo

Old
Bunk Moreland

For those keeping score along with Tim Thomas and now Ricky that is $9.5 million in cap space not playing.. Enjoy.. *sighs*

Old
Strummergas

Quote:
Is this all for show or are they really going to drop him down to Bridgeport when he clears waivers?

EDIT: Well, hopefully the 2nd tweet is true.

Closed Thread