HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I was under the impression that Wennberg was a winger..?
I believe he's a natural C playing wing, similar to Lindholm. Wennberg is capable of playing all 3 forward positions.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
MakeTheIronSing

I'm preying there's a deal to be had for the Leafs to draft Nichushkin, that's my choice for the future

Old
02-20-2013, 05:02 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
I'm preying there's a deal to be had for the Leafs to draft Nichushkin, that's my choice for the future
What's better than one JvR?? Two JvRs except one's Russian!

Old
02-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
I'd still like Mantha, as I said before.

It's rare that the best goalscorer in the entire draft can be available in the middle of the first round. And the only reason he is there is because of a lack of work ethic and attention to the defensive end of the game. Well, both of these can be taught; you can't teach goal-scoring, though.

He's a big, strong winger as well. A perfect fit into the Leafs top 6 going forward.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I'd still like Mantha, as I said before.

It's rare that the best goalscorer in the entire draft can be available in the middle of the first round. And the only reason he is there is because of a lack of work ethic and attention to the defensive end of the game. Well, both of these can be taught; you can't teach goal-scoring, though.

He's a big, strong winger as well. A perfect fit into the Leafs top 6 going forward.
I'm with you here. If we're in the mid-teens, adding offensive, high upside guys like Mantha or Erne are my ideal choice.

We don't need more character/grit combo players. We need guys that can impact a game on the scoresheet too. I am all for character, and in this draft, nobody in the 1st round can be said to be lacking in that dept., so I want to add that offensive prowess. A guy like Mantha on Kadri's wing would be a nightmare for the opposition, as would Erne, Nichushkin, etc.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
What's better than one JvR?? Two JvRs except one's Russian!
not sure if serious... but I agree

He does play centre though, which could make an interesting dynamic, especially if the result was something like this in the future:

JvR 6'3" Nichuskin 6' 4" (currently at 17 years old!!!!) Biggs 6'0"

thats almost 19 feet on one line

Old
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I'm with you here. If we're in the mid-teens, adding offensive, high upside guys like Mantha or Erne are my ideal choice.

We don't need more character/grit combo players. We need guys that can impact a game on the scoresheet too. I am all for character, and in this draft, nobody in the 1st round can be said to be lacking in that dept., so I want to add that offensive prowess. A guy like Mantha on Kadri's wing would be a nightmare for the opposition, as would Erne, Nichushkin, etc.
Not a fan of Mantha or Erne to be honest. Could turn out to be good players, but see a lot of bust potential with both those guys. Nichushkin would be dream come true. With the success of our over seas scouting (they only get late picks to work with but have been producing solid NHLers with those picks), I wouldn't mind seeing us take a European with our first round pick. I also would like to see a double-dip at forward like we did last year with defenceman (as long as it aligns with BPA).

Old
02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
not sure if serious... but I agree

He does play centre though, which could make an interesting dynamic, especially if the result was something like this in the future:

JvR 6'3" Nichuskin 6' 4" (currently at 17 years old!!!!) Biggs 6'0"

thats almost 19 feet on one line
Haha I'm being serious I love Nichuskin If we draft 10-15, I'd love to either trade up to get him (if needed; ISS be cray cray lately) or if not, one of Mantha (50 goals says whaaaa), Gauthier (size and skill and centre-tastic), or Pulock (has a maple leafs tattooed on his chest how baller is that?)

Old
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
mapes

4 points so far tonight for Drouin. 4 out of the Q lead despite 20 less games or so.

In the past 10 years there have only been a few 17 year olds with PPG numbers like his. Gagne and then some Crosby and Tavares guys. Maybe you heard of them?

Old
02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Biggs is 6'2" 235 not 6'

Old
02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
4 points so far tonight for Drouin. 4 out of the Q lead despite 20 less games or so.

In the past 10 years there have only been a few 17 year olds with PPG numbers like his. Gagne and then some Crosby and Tavares guys. Maybe you heard of them?
And Kane/Gagner come to mind.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
And Kane/Gagner come to mind.
I said Gagner

Point is, there isn't many. The only one from the Q was Sid

Old
02-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I said Gagner

When you said Gagne I thought you meant Simon haha. Anyways production can often be deceiving, or Nicolas Petan would be a surefire top 5 pick haha.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/8161

Old
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
mapes

Quote:
When you said Gagne I thought you meant Simon haha. Anyways production can often be deceiving, or Nicolas Petan would be a surefire top 5 pick haha.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/8161
Oh I know, Gamache rings a bell (was a Leaf actually for a short time). But watching Drouin is unreal. If he goes 3rd, it goes to show how insane this years crop is because he is one of the best 17 year olds I've ever seen (I mostly just watch Q games FYI though). I remember Sid at that age and while he obviously isn't on Sids leve, he is probably the 2nd best offensively gifted player I've seen at that age. He is also clutch and stepped his game up last year in the playoffs. Can he do it again? We'll see. The team this year is light years ahead of last years

Old
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Not a fan of Mantha or Erne to be honest. Could turn out to be good players, but see a lot of bust potential with both those guys. Nichushkin would be dream come true. With the success of our over seas scouting (they only get late picks to work with but have been producing solid NHLers with those picks), I wouldn't mind seeing us take a European with our first round pick. I also would like to see a double-dip at forward like we did last year with defenceman (as long as it aligns with BPA).
I agree with most of this, outside of the "bust potential". I can see it a little with Mantha, as motivation has been a major knock on him, but with Erne, I don't see it. By all accounts, he's a hard working kid in the gym and on the ice, with that tenacious style of play that comes with a love for the game.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I agree with most of this, outside of the "bust potential". I can see it a little with Mantha, as motivation has been a major knock on him, but with Erne, I don't see it. By all accounts, he's a hard working kid in the gym and on the ice, with that tenacious style of play that comes with a love for the game.
He's also on a very good team and has noticed a drop in production with Grigorenko graduating to the NHL. When I watch him play, I don't see a dynamic offensive talent (ie. ability to create his own offence). For me it's the same with Rychel.

Last edited by Bernier the Boats: 02-20-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
I said Gagner

Radulov

Old
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Radulov
Angelo Esposito

Old
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Damnit Pens.. hope you get knocked out in the first round.

2-0 lead...give up three goals. These guys are mentally weak against the Flyers...even if the Pens made it 5-0, I would bet on the Flyers to win 6-5.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Damnit Pens.. hope you get knocked out in the first round.

2-0 lead...give up three goals. These guys are mentally weak against the Flyers...even if the Pens made it 5-0, I would bet on the Flyers to win 6-5.
Simmonds is great. We should have a player like him. I think he have a GHHT already.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
I am really hoping we can trade Mac+ for a first rounder and nail whomever we want with our pick, and also get Max Domi. Honor Tie in the greatest way possible. Make his kid a stud

Old
02-20-2013, 08:55 PM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

Quote:
Oh I know, Gamache rings a bell (was a Leaf actually for a short time). But watching Drouin is unreal. If he goes 3rd, it goes to show how insane this years crop is because he is one of the best 17 year olds I've ever seen (I mostly just watch Q games FYI though). I remember Sid at that age and while he obviously isn't on Sids leve, he is probably the 2nd best offensively gifted player I've seen at that age. He is also clutch and stepped his game up last year in the playoffs. Can he do it again? We'll see. The team this year is light years ahead of last years
Whatever the hell happened to him anyways?

Old
02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
I am really hoping we can trade Mac+ for a first rounder and nail whomever we want with our pick, and also get Max Domi. Honor Tie in the greatest way possible. Make his kid a stud
If we draft Max Domi, I hope it's for some other reason than his dad punched some dudes in the face a decade ago.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Nichushkin can go anywhere from 2nd overall to 2nd round. I wouldn't move up to get him, hope he falls to us...but I'm not convinced that we'd be the team to roll the dice on a prospect who just signed a 3 year KHL contract...personally I'd take that chance, especially outside the top 10.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
If we draft Max Domi, I hope it's for some other reason than his dad punched some dudes in the face a decade ago.
Personally, I have mixed feelings about Max Domi. He's going to be on our radar because he's probably going to go around where we should be drafting (mid first round pick)...he's putting up good numbers which can't be ignored, and the few times I've watched him on TV I've always came away impressed...my only concern is his size, and not that it prevents him from making it, but that we already have the smallish Kadri pegged in our future top 6 and maybe another smallish center isn't what I envision for our 1-2 punch at C.

Then again his father was about the same size and one of the toughest players to ever play the game, based off his father's career it's hard to see size holding Max back...can't ignore that Max is stocky along the lines of his father has well, size may not be an issue at all.

Closed Thread