HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Samsonov, I'm not sure.....

Old
07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Netro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
a) Yes it would, a lot, give a mission to Begin as a tutor...(What better coach he could possibly have?) Latendresse doesnt need to beat more undersized, understrenght teenagers. He needs to get used to the NHL speed and start hitting and getting more confidence in the NHL. For him the challenge is not to get confidence overall(like softer players) its to get confidence in the NHL.
b) Theres 10 spots on the pp not 5 as far as I know, I dont mean to use it on the first wave either. I see him playing in front of the net with Ryder-Kovalev-Koivu and Markov. It would be lethal to have that extra "Ryan Smith" parked in front of the net.

c) Yes, yes and yes. Hes the kind of guy that can change the game in 1 hit. Even on the 4th line he could get some clintch goals.
I gotta disagree with you.

(1) Latendresse needs to work on his skating. Playing 5 minutes is not going to help. Plus, how can he gain confidence if he is not playing much. Young players need to play and play often. Now, if he would have dominated the Q, and had nothing more to do in the Q, it may be a different story (a la Joe Thortnon not going back to the OHL after getting drafted) But, he needs to play often, improve his skating and improve his overall defensive awareness of the game.

(2) There are only 6 forward spots on the PP, as far as I know. I threw out 8 forwards who I would rank ahead of him. And here's another that I would rank ahead of him - Plekanec.

(3) I think the Habs have players who can change the game with 1 hit and will be much more useful to the team because they bring other aspects of the game, like defensive awareness. Example: Garth Murray can hit, grind and fight, he plays the PK.

If Latrendresse goes to camp and earns a spot on the team, good for him and then hopefully good for the Habs. But, I would consider that a long shot, at best. I, for one, am glad that the habs don't intend to rush him to the NHL.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
What??? Perezhogin is one of our most solid players to get any sort of puck out of corner or along the boards... watch the game more closely dude.
Why do you think he was sent in the stands more often than not last season? Because Julien and Gainey saw the same things: gets shy after a big hit, has defensive failures in his own zone, doesn't protect the boards...

Slick, I know you have a thing for Russian players, but Perezhogin was far from being solid last season.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Why do you think he was sent in the stands more often than not last season? Because Julien and Gainey saw the same things: gets shy after a big hit, has defensive failures in his own zone, doesn't protect the boards...

Slick, I know you have a thing for Russian players, but Perezhogin was far from being solid last season.
It depends on what part of the season. He definitely looked lost for a while when the whole team was in turmoil on the eve of Julien's firing. But when he came back and played with Plekanec on the 3rd line, I thought he looked good.

What he's got going for him is his potential to be a two-way forward. He showed some surprisingly good forechecking, cycling, and neutral zone anticipation. In other words, he won't have to be a top line winger to be useful. He seemed to relax and enjoy himself on the 3rd line, and the offensive flashes started to show more regularly.

I quite like Perezhogin, or at least his potential.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post

(1) Latendresse needs to work on his skating. Playing 5 minutes is not going to help. Plus, how can he gain confidence if he is not playing much. Young players need to play and play often. Now, if he would have dominated the Q, and had nothing more to do in the Q, it may be a different story (a la Joe Thortnon not going back to the OHL after getting drafted) But, he needs to play often, improve his skating and improve his overall defensive awareness of the game.

(2) There are only 6 forward spots on the PP, as far as I know. I threw out 8 forwards who I would rank ahead of him. And here's another that I would rank ahead of him - Plekanec.

(3) I think the Habs have players who can change the game with 1 hit and will be much more useful to the team because they bring other aspects of the game, like defensive awareness. Example: Garth Murray can hit, grind and fight, he plays the PK.

If Latrendresse goes to camp and earns a spot on the team, good for him and then hopefully good for the Habs. But, I would consider that a long shot, at best. I, for one, am glad that the habs don't intend to rush him to the NHL.
I know its a long shot, Im not suggesting otherwise, all im saying is that a power forward is the type of player who will benefit from the NHL training.

1) Montreal 4th line gets more than 5 min of playtime. Getting stronger is a big part of skating, Scott Livingstone all year with Latendresse is the best way to make him faster imo(And with Begin as a Tutor, it would be great for him). What is better than playing on the 4th line with the habs to developt his defensive awareness?(Carbo-Jarvis behind the bench) He didnt dominate the Q but he had a very good season, I will never expect great things from him in the Q, hes a power foward! For him to get better stats in the Q he needs to go against his playstyle and become for 1 year more like a finesse kind of player, thats the Q!

2) Name 1 forward of the habs that can barely compare to him in the body size? Ok Ryder and Johnson. In "playing big" with that size? none. no one. nada. zip.nill. We dont have 1 natural in front of the net forward like him. Whoever is in "front" of him in the depth chart doesnt matter, because hes alone in his own chart. Alone.

3) Garth Murray use his size well I agree. In no way I want him to sit for Lats. But garth will never have the passion and the talent of lats. You tell me, between bonk and Lats? Ok you cant use lats on the PK, but if you give a defensive mission to lats for the first year on that 4th line he will do the job just as well in 5 v 5 and personnaly I think better since hes a constant threat for the big hit, while bonk isnt. Again, Begin as the tutor, Lats would learn a lot about dedication, passion, checking all things he could use later in his career when he will have an offensive mission.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post

I pretty much agree. There's no need to rush Latendresse: as you say, if he makes the team out of training camp, then great, he'll have earned it. But I don't think he's got a leg up on any one, and I agree that he's a long shot.

At this point, I think Chipchura is ahead of him, and he too is a long shot. It's unrealistic to expect either one to make the team on the strength of their probable offensive contribution, and Chipchura brings more of the little things at this stage that could make him a useful NHLer. In terms of adding just power and size and grit, I don't think you lose much by taking Chipchura over Latendresse at this stage.

SOLR, I still think you've got a good point about Latendresse's development. Another year in the Q is not ideal. Hamilton would be the best situation. However, between being a 14th forward (ahead of Chipchura, Lapierre, and Kostitsyn) and being dominant in the Q and a returning WJ player, I think the latter is the better option.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 01:56 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I pretty much agree. There's no need to rush Latendresse: as you say, if he makes the team out of training camp, then great, he'll have earned it. But I don't think he's got a leg up on any one, and I agree that he's a long shot.

At this point, I think Chipchura is ahead of him, and he too is a long shot. It's unrealistic to expect either one to make the team on the strength of their probable offensive contribution, and Chipchura brings more of the little things at this stage that could make him a useful NHLer. In terms of adding just power and size and grit, I don't think you lose much by taking Chipchura over Latendresse at this stage.

SOLR, I still think you've got a good point about Latendresse's development. Another year in the Q is not ideal. Hamilton would be the best situation. However, between being a 14th forward (ahead of Chipchura, Lapierre, and Kostitsyn) and being dominant in the Q and a returning WJ player, I think the latter is the better option.

Hmm theres a really big difference in attitude between Chip and Latendresse. Lats is mean, hes a bigger Begin, when he hits he wants it to hurt. While for Chipchura its pretty mathematic, he hits, do it well, very clean, will rarely do it for the effect.. Chip is a much less intimidating presence than Latendresse.

Btw. I do agree Chip is closer overall than Lats, hes 1 year older, hes very mature/leader etc. But with this team we have, a bunch of europeens, I really feel Lats is an ingredient to the overall mix Chip can only dream to have. Just lats presence on the ice could be intimidating for the other team at home with the crowd shouting "gui-gui gui gui gui" at every big bodycheck.

IMO, if he makes the team, bonk will be gone, because that will mean those 4 rookies will force at least the opening of another spot. Kost being the top 6 replacement player and Chip, Ferland, Lats on the 3rd-4th line.

TRAINING CAMP NOW KTHX.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 03:36 PM
kostitsyn fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
Can Perezzz on center position play or is too stupid it for it?? So often it playing did not see

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Perezhogin-Kovalev
Grabovsky-Plekanec-Johnson
Bégin-Bonk-Murray
i did a post on that 1 month ago and i got bashed big time!!! But i agree with you, he's so fast, i would give him a try!!! and Why not kovalev since he was the 2 second line center in the 94 rangers cup...

kostitsyn fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Mange de la Moutarde

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Johnson-Kostitsyn
Bégin-Bonk-Latendresse

could it works? in my opinion, if everybody stays healthy, we would have 4 very good lines.

Mange de la Moutarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 02:40 AM
wholeshow*

having samsonov around gives another reason to markov on why he should resign with the habs.
gainey to andrei "you like the team now? all we need is emelin and you won't have to speak a lick of english"...this will be told to andrei through a translator of course.

samsonov is fun to watch, and he always works hard. wins battles along the boards and constantly creates chances. my only gripe with samsonov is his susceptibility to getting injured and often lackadaisical effort on the backcheck...
but we got him for his offensive abilities. i have no problems with samsonov and kovalev weaving through to opposition to score the pretty goals. and if we lose a game, we'll lose with style. hah

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:58 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Perezhogin will can play on the 3rd line, and don't forget a season is long, many injuries can happen... Samsonov is a big acquisition for our offense and specially our team deep...
Good point. So many here forget the Habs have no superstars and have to do it with depth. The Habs need quality on the lower 2 lines if they are to be successful. We need to be patient with Zhogy.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Russeltown

You should consider that Samsonov gets a lot of assists. Yes he can put in it more often, but he generates a lot of offense... which is the best complement to a guy like Kovalev or Ryder.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
Can Perezzz on center position play or is too stupid it for it?? So often it playing did not see

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Perezhogin-Kovalev
Grabovsky-Plekanec-Johnson
Bégin-Bonk-Murray
no and he's way too fast to waste it on playing center, but Kovalev... he was a center when he started playing in the NHL, and with the way he controls the play, with wingers like Perezhogin and Samsonov, man that would be fun to watch

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote